Yahtzee's Mana Bar Opens March 20

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Yahtzee's Mana Bar Opens March 20

One of the coolest drinking establishments ever conceived will finally be opening in a couple of weeks.

Australian videogame and alcohol fans, mark your calendars, the Mana Bar will officially be opening on March 20, 2010. The Mana Bar, explained by Yahtzee here, aims to meld a classy bar with a partial videogame theme, but while remaining a place where both non-gamers and gamers can enjoy a night out on the town.

Located in Brisbane, Australia, the Mana Bar was partially conceptualized by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, known here on The Escapist for Zero Punctuation. Patrons will be able to order up a vodka tonic and then sit down to play a nice game of Guitar Hero. Other titles will be on hand too, such as Wii Sports and Street Fighter IV. It appears as if the establishment has a strict "no cover charge" policy, and playing the games will also be completely free.

The future also holds many special events for the Mana Bar, including the hosting of demos for videogames not yet released. For the first launch weekend, Xbox Live Arcade title Raskulls will be on display, currently in development by Brisbane-based Halfbrick Studios. With the addition of hourly giveaways, special guests, live entertainment, and more, I know if I lived in Australia that Yahtzee would have to kick me out every night. There's also something on the launch flyer that says you can "meet the Little Sister," which I'm intrigued about.

For more information, visit the Mana Bar's website and sign up for the forums. Let's hope it becomes so big that Mana Bars will spread across the Earth. For now, non-Australians like myself will simply have a fun place to go when we visit the land down under.

I'm interested in the bar to internet cafe ratio on this, what's the policy on drunk gaming?
Pretty sure I read somewhere awhile ago but forgot.

I really like this idea, if a lot of people were in there I might be able to convince my non gaming friends to come in and try something.

Edit: After a little look about the forums it seems to be well prepared for drunks with the screens in cases and whatnot, I'm getting more and more jealous reading over there though so I think I'll leave.

I can't go there since I'm under-age ,and also I don't live in Australia, but I wish them the best of luck anyway!

I'm predicting many stools, chairs, and faces will be broken over drunk Street Fighter 4 games.

Hope they employed some good bouncers!

Hope it goes well. Video games used to be pretty social back in the days of arcades, which kind of ended when consoles took over. I don't know about videogames and a drinking establishment though--as fun as it is to get drunk and play videogames, it clearly impairs performance in nearly every game out there, so you might not want to do it in a public place. Plus a lot of people willing to play games in public are probably under the drinking age at least in the U.S. But who knows it might really catch on and be just the thing.

Most of his fans are from the UK and US... that's some "trek" to a bar...

Christ. Yahtzee man, why can't you live in Britain!

Irridium:
I'm predicting many stools, chairs, and faces will be broken over drunk Street Fighter 4 games.

So agreed. :)

Good Luck Yahtzee! Hope to at least catch a glimpse of your new pad when I make my trip to Australia this summer. Or as I like to call it:"Spaghetti and Baked Beans for Breakfest'lia".

Video Games and drunk people...well I hope that works out. I just predict wii remotes sticking out of every surface like a house under fire by automatic weapons.

It really is an interesting concept from a creative guy. I just hope it's popular enough to stay open.

That's gonna be a bitch of a commute just for a pint...

It's cool to see more of Yahtzee's projects bear fruit.

This makes me really excited about his games.

That's actually a great idea and if I was of legal drinking age in Australia, I would definitly go.

And...done. There we go, now Brisbane is marked as a place where I must visit on my world map.

Lucky bastards.....

I wish Yahtzee lived in Florida.

Tom Goldman:
There's also something on the launch flyer that says you can "Meet the Little Sister," which I'm intrigued about.

Yeah, that definitely peaks my curiosity, and not in a good way.
Is it euphemism? An actual little sister? A swimsuit model dressed as a little sist.....(why does my brain keep doing this?)

...The fact that Yatzee owns this bar doesn't help either...

Note: If I ever find myself in Australia, add this to the list of sites to see.

I really hope the bar takes-off. It'd be awesome to hear about Mana Bar coming to US shores. :D

Can i be bothered making the trip? If i had other nerdy escapist friends we could do a road trip, sadly they are not nerdy escapist members.

I'll stop by if I'm in the town. But if I make a trip to Australia that doesn't ALREADY include the town, I'm not going out of my way to visit.

I really wish I could visit this place sometime.

I'm going there when I travel to Australia later this year, can't wait!

good luck
i hope you guys make a Killing

maddawg IAJI:
That's actually a great idea and if I was of legal drinking age in Australia, I would definitly go.

That definately makes two us of bra' :)

SuperMse:
And...done. There we go, now Brisbane is marked as a place where I must visit on my world map.

Like, Lucky for me, it's been on my map since I heard I was selected from my school to go to Australia for like 20 or 25 days in the summer. I can't wait to catch some gnarly waves and then chillax with one of my fave Internet people and beat his butt in Street Fighter 4. SONIC BOOM!

The Austin:
Lucky bastards.....

I wish he lived California. A dude can dream though. A dude can dream. :(

Am I the only one shocked that Street Fighter IV is going to be available for play in a bar owned by Yahtzee? It confounds me.

Anyway, while it's a slight bit disappointing that Australia is quite a distance from my country, I'm not too worried about not being able to go there. However, if I ever do visit Australia (which I doubt will happen, but still), then I'll most certainly give that place a visit. Assuming Yahtzee's a shrewd businessman, of course.

Irridium:

I've got the perfect candidate, and you don't even have to pay him!

The Austin:
Lucky bastards.....

We share the unfortunate curse of living in the fun-deprived wasteland of Florida (Excluding Orlando, obviously).

I would love to visit this place, but I don't give a rat's ass about the drinking, I'd go for the games and a chance to meet Yahtzee would be cool too. Unfortunately, it's pretty much on the other side of the world.

Tom Goldman:
I know if I lived in Australia that Yahtzee would have to kick me out every night.

Hehe, Yahtzee will be the bad guy of the bar. I think he might actually be entertained by it too. He seems like the guy who enjoys kicking out annoying people (I'm not implying that you're annoying, but people who get drunk tend to be annoying after a few too many).

OT: Dammit, why can't we have cool gaming places in Sweden? D:

No bloody way! If it weren't for the OFLC, I'd be packing my bags already. Finland's bar scene needs a major breath of fresh air...

That's pretty cool, but I'm not Australian and I don't drink... either way we need more stuff like this in the world.

Does this perhaps balance out Atkinson?

Australia just became Neutral on the gaming landscape.

Awh, man! It's not fair, Australia gets all the cool stuff!

Wait... Did I just say that out loud?

heh, I get the feeling people will come here less for the drinks, and more for the playable games, and to (at least try to) meet Yahtzee.

Hmm...if i had money and own mode of transportation i'd give this place a visit....until then i'm stuck here

I'm so driving the 8 hours or so down the coast to check this out... Actually, I'll try and convince my company to let me go to a conferance in Brissie, then bail afterwords and take a stroll down to the 'Valley... I'm pretty keen to have a look. :)

I might have to pay a visit the Australia some time in my life.

Stabby Joe:
Most of his fans are from the UK and US... that's some "trek" to a bar...

I suppose you've done some exhaustive research into the gaming culture in Australia to back up that genralisation.

Even if Aussies didn't hold Sport and Alcholism on the same level as a national pastime, the bar's going to be in Bris-Vegas, the biggest tourist trap in Australia since the Dreamtime.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.