Gamers Use Mario Clone as Wedding Invitation

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gamers Use Mario Clone as Wedding Invitation

The reward for completing most videogames is usually a happy ending, but in this game it's the details of an upcoming wedding you may attend.

Weddings can often be stressful situations for everyone involved. Planning is a nightmare, they're expensive, and attendees must give acceptable gifts or be shunned by the newlyweds forever. Two gamers decided to add some fun to the process by creating an 8-bit videogame to substitute for the typical wedding invitation.

Sent out on a CD, the invitation tasks invitees to finish two levels of a Mario clone to actually find out the details of the wedding. That's right, if you don't beat the game, don't bother ironing that suit. The bride and groom say: "We knew that we didn't want standard paper invites. We wanted something for people to keep and remember. We are geeks. We love video games. Why not have a video game invite?"

The game itself is a mish-mash of videogame mechanics and audio, with level design straight out of Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong, but with the Final Fantasy fanfare thrown in for good measure. Players can choose either bride or groom, trying to rescue their significant other from a giant gorilla. The first level requires the avoidance of Kendo masters and pitfalls, while on the second level there are deadly barrels to contend with.

It's honestly quite pathetic, and I'm sure my imaginary 6-year-old nephew could easily create a better game. However, it's still a clever idea for a wedding invite, and is kind of cute, so I shouldn't really bash the creation of two people in love. What groom Niko and bride Darina have really done here is given friends and family a perfect excuse to not attend their wedding: "Why didn't I show up? Because I couldn't beat that stupid invitation!"

Source: Offbeat Bride via TG Daily

That's actually quite cool.

Except the Final Fantasy fanfare at the end and the terrible singing.

Probably the most awesome way to invite someone to your wedding.

Except maybe dropping Chuck Norris on them and letting him strangle them until they buy their Tux

Well, I want to come, too bad my Tux is at the cleaners.

Calumon: Let me play! Let me play! I wanna come too!

*twitch*

And right as I start respecting myself as a gamer...
Why must people always do stuff like this? Eh, I laughed anyway.

Now, imagine that they break up... Yeah.

And this is how he asked..

If you dont like the tradition! Have a geeky wedding!

Hehe, I rather like this idea...although swap it in for an FF Themed one and I would be in!!

best wedding invitation ever,

Segadroid:
Now, imagine that they break up... Yeah.

But then they could just make a fighting game! Once one character KOs the other, a message could come up saying "Yeeeah we decided to stay friends."

Its really cool

Distorted Stu:

best proposal ever,

Anyone else read the credits? He is taking her name. Is that a German thing?

Good for them I say. If I ever get married, I sure as hell wouldn't want to have a normal boring ass wedding.

daftpunk95:

Except maybe dropping Chuck Norris on them and letting him strangle them until they buy their Tux

Or sending Metallica round to everyone's house to sing a version of Enter Sandman with the lyrics changed to a wedding invite.

Now that is a creative way to invite someone to something. I applaud them for doing that and I wish them a happy wedding.

Cpt_Oblivious:

daftpunk95:

Or sending Metallica round to everyone's house to sing a version of Enter Sandman with the lyrics changed to a wedding invite.

If I get married, I'm going to make you the planner.
That was one of the most awesome ideas I've ever heard.

The monkey...shoots lasers.

Wow, that game looks crap.
Sweet though.

I think it would have taken them longer to make cards then the time spent on this.

The 'the story so far' thing was the most awesome part.

Onyx Oblivion:
The monkey...shoots lasers.

That's top notch creativity right there!

I'm a conservative guy myself, so I'll probably be plain and boring when I propose to someone. Yay me.

But that's pretty cool, either way.

Radeonx:

Cpt_Oblivious:

daftpunk95:

If I get married, I'm going to make you the planner.
That was one of the most awesome ideas I've ever heard.

Lyrically however, I think I'd go for One...

"First you heard your doorbell ring
Interested in what news we bring
Deep down inside you need to pee
But just listen to me
Now we'd like to invite you
To your old friend's wedding do
There's not much else to say
There's just the details left now

Grab a pen as I rush through this
Oh please, please hurryyy"

Any more than that will cost you.

bjj hero:

I direct you to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Married_and_maiden_names#Germany

In other words, not really. In the English speaking world, its usually complete up to the guy whether he changes his name or not, just like its mostly up to the woman in the same situation. For a more famous example of the same thing happening, I refer you to the band The White Stripes. The guy, named Jack took the name of his wife and bandmate, named Meg White, so he's named Jack White. The weird thing is, after they divorced, they both stayed in their band and Jack never reverted back to his maiden name.

daftpunk95:

No... what would be even better is using a Portal clone as the invitation.

'course... that might make it more likely that people will actually beat the invitation.

I think this is super-cool! More creative than what I did (for either of my proposals.)

Nice inclusion of 8-Bit Weapon's music, too!

matrix3509:

bjj hero:

I direct you to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Married_and_maiden_names#Germany

In other words, not really. In the English speaking world, its usually complete up to the guy whether he changes his name or not, just like its mostly up to the woman in the same situation. For a more famous example of the same thing happening, I refer you to the band The White Stripes. The guy, named Jack took the name of his wife and bandmate, named Meg White, so he's named Jack White. The weird thing is, after they divorced, they both stayed in their band and Jack never reverted back to his maiden name.

Don't you mean his bachelor name?

It's cool, but it has nothing on a Chrono Trigger proposal. :d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_HMLvLB7b0

brilliant. too much time on their hands but if i had time to kill i would do something like that too probably. like it alot

Pendragon9:
It's cool, but it has nothing on a Chrono Trigger proposal. :d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_HMLvLB7b0

Now that one was brilliant, bet that took a while to concoct.

Distorted Stu:

Also, there are some seriously creative (if soppy) people out there, good thing they say yes.

GF is now nudging me after seeing these, what have people started!

Its a great way to weed out all the idiots from going to your wedding without looking bad by inviting their friend and not them :P

A great way to keep noobs out of your wedding.

That's a combination of pathetic and awesomeness, but mostly awesome.

Imagine the awesomeness that would be if mario is their preist, and their honeymoon is in the mushroom kingdom!

*swoon*

Impressive to say the least!

Oh my god, please, no, I'll come, alright? I'll come, just please stop the singing... +_+

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here