Sony Advertising Brings Kevin Butler of War III

Sony Advertising Brings Kevin Butler of War III

Did you really think that Sony's marketing team wouldn't use the hilarious Kevin Butler series to promote God of War III? Really?

Yada yada, Funk loves Kevin Butler, blah blah, would bear his children if laws of nature allowed for it, etc. In today's episode of the "Sony's Advertising Department Finally Got It Together Chronicles," the Sony rep - now promoted to Regional Manager of War (which is up there with Bandai's Chief Gundam Officer in terms of coolest job titles ever) - tries to help a young lady whose boyfriend is absorbed by Kratos' revenge-a-thon. Well, sort of. Okay, maybe he doesn't actually help her. A man of his stature is busy, you know!

Sony also revealed a new 15-second TV spot for GoW3 that, while doing a very good job at making the game look cool as all hell, is Kevin-Butler-less and therefore not worthy of comment. But we'll embed it below nonetheless, just for the hell of it.

(Via PS Blog)

Oh god. Kevin Butler is fantastic. He's ensured my purchase of a PS3...once I get a job.

Ah, the classic 'ignoring girlfriend over hot new videogame' scenario, will you ever age? The answer of course being no.

Onyx Oblivion:
Oh god. Kevin Butler is fantastic.

This chap has hit the nail on the head. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Onyx Oblivion:
Oh god. Kevin Butler is fantastic.

Quoted for truthiness.

Oh Kevin Butler <3

Onyx Oblivion:
Oh god. Kevin Butler is fantastic. He's ensured my purchase of a PS3...once I get a job.

I agree he is awesome. Him Little Big Planet, MAG, MGS and all those other ones have convinced me to get a ps3 though.

I don't even care about the games or the system this fellow is advertising, but damn are those ads ever funny. And since I don't actually watch TV live, I'd never see them if Funk wasn't a ridiculously massive fan, so I guess it's awesome that he is, heh.

PayJ567:

Onyx Oblivion:

I agree he is awesome. Him Little Big Planet, MAG, MGS and all those other ones have convinced me to get a ps3 though.

Ewww...I hate MGS. Ratchet and Clank, ftw!

Ah I love those Kevin Butler PS3 ads. It just never gets old.

And God of War 3 looks awesome as well.

I can't get the ad to load for some odd reason (well here anyways). The bottom ad loads up but not the Butler one. Nothing shows up where the video should be.

And can someone explain to me why they want age verification for a TV ad?

...Kevin Butler, regional manager of war. Anyone else remember when he just sleeping with our lives, and stealing our children? Talk about a promotion. And WHERE can I get one of those Kratos figurines for my desk?

BehattedWanderer:
...Kevin Butler, regional manager of war. Anyone else remember when he just sleeping with our lives, and stealing our children? Talk about a promotion. And WHERE can I get one of those Kratos figurines for my desk?

Pffft...I want a Kevin Butler figure.

well... i loved the "It only does: RAGE" part of the commercial

but i watched it without sound because im at work, so i will watch it later better

Ah, makes me proud to own a PS3.

Just like most other things about it.

I love it.

And Kevin Butler.

Can we have a clone?

Man I love that man, it makes me glad I do have a PS3 for games like that

We had to suffer a lot to get Kevin Butler. I mean, stereotypical squirrels anyone? However, the stuff he's done, he's pretty much made up for it. Not an easy task but he did it.

Susan Arendt:

BehattedWanderer:

How about both?

Its only does

VENGANCE

and

RAGE

Love it XD

Susan Arendt:

BehattedWanderer:

...Most Definitely! There should be Kevin Butler Merchandise.

And wow, the Escapist Staff really loves Kevin Butler.

For those interested, he has a Facebook fan page.

The wait is finally over. Kevin Butler,

Regional Manager of War,

strikes gold yet again.

Susan Arendt:

BehattedWanderer:

That's lame.I wan´t Kevin Butler in person on my desk.And hopefully as hilarious as he is in the playstation ads.

RanD00M:

Susan Arendt:

BehattedWanderer:

That's lame.I wan´t Kevin Butler in person on my desk.And hopefully as hilarious as he is in the playstation ads.

Oh, well played, sir. Well played.

It's official. Kevin Butler is the anti-Kaz Hirai.

And I say that's good enough for celebration. :D

Pendragon9:
It's official. Kevin Butler is the anti-Kaz Hirai.

And I say that's good enough for celebration. :D

Lol I had forgotten about that awful E3 presentation. Thank god for Kevin Butler.

The page won't load for me beyond the headline :'(

Edit: Okay, Firefox manages to get it running, Opera doesn't. Huh.

Well, absolutely hilarious, this has to be the best one yet ;D

Kevin Butler, the first good advertising Sony's done... probably since the millennium turned-over.

Onyx Oblivion:

PayJ567:

Onyx Oblivion:

Ewww...I hate MGS. Ratchet and Clank, ftw!

Just for saying that you win my good friend.
Butler is awesome, with him and Dante's Inferno can we safely say 2010 has the best adverts for video games?

Gladion:
The page won't load for me beyond the headline :'(

Edit: Okay, Firefox manages to get it running, Opera doesn't. Huh.

Yeah, my Opera is doing the same thing. But if I edit the source code and add a </object> tag for the first video, it works.

When i saw the "Insignificant other" as the womans tag i lost it laughing let alone the rest of the ad....also when she says "totally ignoring me" in that voice and pulls that face oh god, sorry it wasn't Kevin Butler that made this ad awesome for me but that woman did.

squid5580:

Getting a rating from the ESRB has limitations. If your game is being rated, you not have to specify the rating in all your advertising. If your game is rated M (or likely to be rated M) you're also required to implement age gates.

If the ads don't follow the rules, the ESRB can fine the publisher of the game (and it's a pretty considerable fine).

That's why some of the contests and such that we run have age gates in front of them as well.

Virgil:

squid5580:

Getting a rating from the ESRB has limitations. If your game is being rated, you not have to specify the rating in all your advertising. If your game is rated M (or likely to be rated M) you're also required to implement age gates.

If the ads don't follow the rules, the ESRB can fine the publisher of the game (and it's a pretty considerable fine).

That's why some of the contests and such that we run have age gates in front of them as well.

Thanks for that. Although it doesn't really explain the stupidity of it. Not the age gates or the need for them for tons of stuff. That is not what I percieve is the problem. It is the fact this ad will air on TV age gate free for people of all ages to see so why make us jump through hoops to see it online?

squid5580:

Thanks for that. Although it doesn't really explain the stupidity of it. Not the age gates or the need for them for tons of stuff. That is not what I percieve is the problem. It is the fact this ad will air on TV age gate free for people of all ages to see so why make us jump through hoops to see it online?

My thoughts exactly. Kids of all ages are going to see these ads on television. What's the point of age-gating it on the interwebz? I'm sure there's some stupid morality clause written into FCC rules or something...

I still like the Butler-less spot better, though. Makes the game look better. Wife/girlfriend aggro is not a good thing...

The Kevin Butler piece is just awesome. The other more generic ad show more game play, but is not as compelling.

Regional Manager of War.... How the hell do I get that job..

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here