Final Fantasy XIII Ships Five Million

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Final Fantasy XIII Ships Five Million

The latest entry in Square-Enix's landmark JRPG series is finally out all over the world, and it looks like it's been pretty damn successful.

Hey, what's that? There's a new Final Fantasy game out?! No way - we totally missed that! Geez, that one caught us by surprise.

Leaving behind the sarcasm now: Final Fantasy XIII hit shelves in Europe and North America yesterday, just under four months after its December release in Square-Enix's native Japan. The title was guaranteed to be a multi-million seller, and thus far has failed to disappoint on sales: Square-Enix announced that Final Fantasy XIII had shipped five million units worldwide.

While "shipped" doesn't always equal "sold," given the popularity of the long-running JRPG franchise, it's a pretty safe bet that the numbers in the second column will be catching up to the numbers in the first column soon enough.

More impressive, though, was Square-Enix's revelation that the success of Final Fantasy XIII brings the series' total sales to an astounding 96 million. Come on guys, just squeak out another 4 million and you'll be there!

Reception for Final Fantasy XIII has been mixed: Some people have absolutely loved it, whereas others have criticized it for poor pacing and linearity. It's a very polarizing title, judging from the wide range of review scores on sites like Metacritic.

Personally, I'm 4 1/2 hours into it, and it's actually better than I expected - though to be fair, I went in with fairly low expectations. Sazh (black guy with the Chocobo in his hair) is shaping up to be one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters in a very long time, but Lightning is basically just Cloud with less amnesia and more boobs, and that's not a good thing.

The combat system is actually really awesome though.

(Via Andriasang)

Give Lightning a little more time, she starts to become less Cloud/Squallish and more interesting/likeable as the game goes on. As far as I can tell FFXIII places far more emphasis on Character Development than previous entry's in the series, hence why the early pacing is so off (need time to establish and develop said characters) and why you don't like the initial impression you get from most of the characters (Lightning is emotionless, Snow is dumb and arrogant, Hope is short sighted and whiny, Sahz is conservative and afraid and Vanielle is... stupid? I dunno, something tells me NOTHING will make me like Vanielle).

Yeah. 4 hours in is nothing. I am a bit annoyed at Lightning's attitude, but I assumed it would shape up soon enough.

Now can boobs ever be a bad thing?

I can't wait to get this. I've decided that, in anticipation of FFXIII, I'm going to beat FF 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 10. I have no idea why, but right now it sounds like a great idea to me.

Sadly, I can't afford it yet, however I was at a local GameStop so a friend can pick up the new Pokemon, and since it was the midnight release of FFXIII, it was basically a high school reunion for me, so that was fun.

*whines*
not gonna be able to pick mine up until Saturday.

...unless I beat the hell out of a coworker and steal his copy...

>>

<<

¬_¬

I immediately caught on that Lightning was like Cloud. My friend , who LOVES Cloud, is constantly complaining about how bitchy she is. So I told him that if she was a male, she'd be the quiet and confident dick character, but since she's a woman she's considered a ball-busting bitch....by simple virtue that she has boobs. I don't think he got my point.

JaredXE:
I immediately caught on that Lightning was like Cloud. My friend , who LOVES Cloud, is constantly complaining about how bitchy she is. So I told him that if she was a male, she'd be the quiet and confident dick character, but since she's a woman she's considered a ball-busting bitch....by simple virtue that she has boobs. I don't think he got my point.

reg42:

I can't wait to get this. I've decided that, in anticipation of FFXIII, I'm going to beat FF 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 10. I have no idea why, but right now it sounds like a great idea to me.

I just really don't like Cloud.

reg42:

Yeah is it even gramatically corect to use "bad" and "boobs" in the same sentence? ;-)

Seriously though I'm quite enjoying it so far, although having trouble getting use to the whole paradigms thing (I keep forgetting to switch!) I find the combat quite reminiscent of FFVII - where they mixed time and turn based fighting sucessfully. It's definately the best way of doing the combat system, in my opinion.

I'm hoping lightning will open up a bit more and become more interesting. Vanille is far too upbeat, I'm just waiting for Hope to turn round and say "can you please shut up with the annoying voice...and stop touching me!" ha.

reg42:

I tried doing something similiar a few weeks ago with I, II, III, IV, V + VI but I've had quite a lot of homework so only got 60%~ of the way through the 3rd.

can always rely on deviant art.

John Funk:

JaredXE:

reg42:

Fair enough, he's not much of a character.

Sazh is awesome. I am pretty impressed with it so far. The whole system and design...not to mention is is also incrediably beautiful.

SE have done a good job with FF13, thats for sure.

Dialogue is also pretty good...a little plastic at times, but nothing that really detracts from the experience of geat tactical battles!

reg42:
I've decided that, in anticipation of FFXIII, I'm going to beat FF 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 10. I have no idea why, but right now it sounds like a great idea to me.

Simple : ((1 x 10) + (2 x 5) + (4 + 6)) ÷ 10 + 10 = 13.

All those FF titles are part of the equation leading you up to FF13.

I have no life.

On topic, though : I'm getting FFXIII when my fiancée gets around finishing FFXII. That'll teach her to get to the end of something, dammit!

Igen:

WTF

OT: Cool news, but to be honest I'm personally more interested in how the 360 version sells compared to the PS3 version.

Gotta agree, Sazh is looking to be my favorite character out of it all. In fact the only character I don't like is hope. I'd have thrown him off a bridge from the get go.

Though there is one problem with this game that is really starting to annoy me - The battle system. The fact that your other party members aren't controllable by you is a little annoying, but not as annoying as the fact that if your team leader dies, regardless of the health and status of both the enemy and the party members, its game over. I do like the paradigm changes though and I know it was balanced to make that system effective but still, but there are some things that are just stupid and that is one of them (the team leader dying = game over I mean)

Im not shocked at the sales. also I would expect the sales to shoot up at the weekend. Considering FF is the game that a lot of people would have been into when they were at school will now have jobs and not be able to get to a shop to buy it in the week.

I can't wait to get my copy at the weekend!

gibboss28:
...there are some things that are just stupid and that is one of them (the team leader dying = game over I mean)

Couldn't agree more, I find that very irritating in RPG games. I'm sure the rest of your team wouldn't suddenly keel over if Lightning got her arse kicked. I'm still enjoying it a lot though, I like the way system works over all.

Nikajo:

gibboss28:
...there are some things that are just stupid and that is one of them (the team leader dying = game over I mean)

Couldn't agree more, I find that very irritating in RPG games. I'm sure the rest of your team wouldn't suddenly keel over if Lightning got her arse kicked. I'm still enjoying it a lot though, I like the way system works over all.

Definately is very refreshing after the other series, feels less irrtating than the whole waiting for the bar to fill up malarkey, just keep changing paradyms and attack like hell.

But I'm enjoying it also, the graphics are stunning and the story seems to be picking up a lot where I am at now

Gladion:

Igen:

WTF

OT: Cool news, but to be honest I'm personally more interested in how the 360 version sells compared to the PS3 version.

I would like to see it sell well on the 360, hopefuly it encourages more publishers to do multiple platforms.

the pic i posted is tame compared to most of the gender bender of cloud on there.

GRR! I hate this freakin game!
Yes I "enjoy" the story.
I love the combat system. Well, parts of it(like Paradigm shift)
But seriously! Terrible voice acting*cough*Vanille*cough*, Terrible character development*cough*Cloud*cough*.....err, I mean *cough*Lightning*cough*. And seriously, the animation looks so unatural and feels so stiff.
I only like 2 characters so far(mind you I'm only 2 hours into the game, and not very far.)
Sazh and Hope. I was scared Sazh was jsut going to be another stereotype, but he is refreshingly not(and at times, witty even) as for hope....well, he's normal. A normal person. Holds a grudge against my least favorite character, runs away from monsters, and freaks out when they appear at all. Seriously, his hair is a littel stupid but I feel like if I was put into the game, I would probably be in his position. Did I mention I hate Snow? Like, to the point I was cheering out loud when Lightning kept beating the crap out of him.
I really do enjoy Lightning's moments of Badassery, and Sazh's wedded wit.
Sazh:"Oh crap, we gotta run!"
Lightning: *pulls out blade, starts running towards the enemies*
Sazh: "I meant away!"

Haven't played it yet, but I do have my copy sitting on the table here.

That was what I was afraid of though. Hopefully Lightning won't be so Cloudish as the game progresses.

I hate Cloud that whiny emo fucker.

My Gamefly Copy will be waiting for me at home, and I can buy it from them for $50 - $5 for my membership length, so I'm good.

I love the FF series, constantly rewarding people for obsessive behaviour. Suits me, not my social life though

The sales don't shock me, really.
You could put the words 'Final Fantasy' on a spoon and it'd sell well.

What does shock me about FF XIII is that Vanille has grown on me. When I started playing, her voice cut through me like a hot knife through butter but as the game progressed, I became used to her voice. I actually quite like it now.

Also, I don't find Lightning emo at all, just harsh. But she does soften a bit.
Plus I also love Sazh and Hope isn't as annoying as many, many, many previews predicted.
All in all, I don't find any of the characters annoying now.

John Funk:
Lightning is basically just Cloud with less amnesia and more boobs, and that's not a good thing.

After Zidane, Zidane Clone A (Tidus) and Zidane Clone B (Vaan), I'll happily take someone with a less sunny disposition, TYVM.

9 hours in. I hate Hope.

I HATE HOPE!

I HATE HOPE!

Everyone else is fine, though. I really like Vanille and Sazh.

Julianking93:

I hate Cloud that whiny emo fucker.

he was a smart ass in the game, the only time he got emo was when his favorit pair of tits died and when he got dumped into sludge that was know for messing people up.

Kingdom hearts and advent children version of cloud is the emo we all love to hate.

reg42:

No and...not 7 and 9? (Go away, 8 and 12, no fanboys like you...except those that only like you.)

I haven't got to play it yet, but I got the feeling that I wouldn't like any of the characters from the start. The little handout with the pre-order, however, relieved my of my worries; it all but explicitly told me I was right, and that it would spend the entire game trying to make me change my mind. Rather than, you know, letting me run around as a character I thoroughly liked, kicking the shit out of guys I didn't.

Veishan:

John Funk:
Lightning is basically just Cloud with less amnesia and more boobs, and that's not a good thing.

After Zidane, Zidane Clone A (Tidus) and Zidane Clone B (Vaan), I'll happily take someone with a less sunny disposition, TYVM.

Tidus was my favorite lead character on a Sony console. And hardly a Zidane clone.

John Funk:

JaredXE:

reg42:

Is it bad that I really, really, really like Squall? And despise Cloud?

I'm still unsure about this game because I've never played anything turn based. Would somebody be so kind as to explain how something can be real time and turn based at the same time. I'd appreciate it.

dstryfe:

reg42:

No and...not 7 and 9? (Go away, 8 and 12, no fanboys like you...except those that only like you.)

I haven't got to play it yet, but I got the feeling that I wouldn't like any of the characters from the start. The little handout with the pre-order, however, relieved my of my worries; it all but explicitly told me I was right, and that it would spend the entire game trying to make me change my mind. Rather than, you know, letting me run around as a character I thoroughly liked, kicking the shit out of guys I didn't.

No 7 because I think it was pretty overrated. I may get into it one day, but not any time soon. Not 9, because I think it was the type of game that should only be enjoyed once (it's my favourite FF by far)

John Funk:

Veishan:

John Funk:

Tidus was my favorite lead character on a Sony console. And hardly a Zidane clone.

Sooooo many people hate Tidus, which I suppose I understand but the point of the character was that he was an annoying brat who gets over himself and becomes a likable character capable of making a huge sacrifice for the people he cares about.

The problem there, as I see it, is that few gamers can actually "fathom" a story where characters grow over time, requiring a character to be everything in their initial appearance. You know what those characters are called in regular fiction kiddies? Flat Characters.

more boobs is bad! blasphemous!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.