Reggie: Nintendo Not Ready for a Wii 2 Just Yet

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reggie: Nintendo Not Ready for a Wii 2 Just Yet

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has flatly denied that the console manufacturer will be working on its next hardware generation anytime soon.

It's no secret that Nintendo's Wii is well behind the curve of its competitors when it comes to graphics this console generation. This has led to rather persistent rumors that the company was secretly developing a "Wii HD" or "Wii 2" - a console that would continue developing Nintendo's motion-control core while supporting modern, high-definition graphics of the type seen in God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII.

According to Nintendo of America big cheese Reggie Fils-Aime, the development of a successor console isn't very high on Nintendo's priority list at the moment. "[W]hen the software developer comes forward with an idea that can't be executed on the current platform, that's when we start thinking seriously about the next system," Fils-Aime told Forbes. "We're not there yet, from a Wii perspective."

In all fairness, the man has a point: With some of the first "hardcore" MotionPlus titles like Red Steel 2 due this year - not to mention heavy hitters like Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda and Metroid: Other M - the Wii is looking to have a very strong 2010. While I believe Fils-Aime that Nintendo isn't working on a new Wii, though, that doesn't mean that it hasn't started thinking about one. You don't get to be the leader in the industry without considering years in advance.

Wii 2 needs a few things things:

HD

No Friend Codes

Backwards support for games bought on Wii Shop. To keep purchases from being useless and all.

I don't expect to see a Wii with advanced graphics capabilities unless it has a very high price tag attached to it. It's low cost that helped it excel above the PS3 and 360 when it first came out, so if they want to repeat that success they'll need to find a way to keep the price low.

Well...I assume they think that since its got he market with the "Casual" gamer dosnt really need to change the forumla...well, not just yet anyway.

At the end of the day...I think its too soon for any of them, if you think about times that consoles are generally out before a successor arrives.

Look at the PS2

Jaredin:
Well...I assume they think that since its got he market with the "Casual" gamer dosnt really need to change the forumla...well, not just yet anyway.

At the end of the day...I think its too soon for any of them, if you think about times that consoles are generally out before a successor arrives.

Look at the PS2

The PS2 is STILL having a few games made for it, too, so that means the previous console generation still isn't quite over yet either, technically.

I tend to agree though; the current hardware should still be good for another couple of years or so, I'd guess.

Why would nitendo need a new Wii? Until the console starts selling less that roughly 3 billion copys a minite there's very little point. It'd take away from time spent rolling in money.

oooooooo, a shiny gold plated wii console...uhh wait what this article about?
Oh yeah, I think Nintendo will be the first one to come out with a "next gen" console when the time comes. Microsoft and Sony probably can keep the 360 and PS3 going 2 years after the Wii 2 is launched if not longer. One thing is for sure, Nintendo is deffinetly the weakest of the consoles.

John Funk:
"[W]hen the software developer comes forward with an idea that can't be executed on the current platform, that's when we start thinking seriously about the next system,"

Maybe they aren't coming to you because they've already given up, Reggie.

I mean, I can see his point and there are some very attractive Wii titles out there, but to base your hardware development on whether outside developers come to you and essentially complain is a rather silly way to do things. This is even more true when you have as hot and cold a relationship with outside devs as Nintendo does.

StriderShinryu:

John Funk:
"[W]hen the software developer comes forward with an idea that can't be executed on the current platform, that's when we start thinking seriously about the next system,"

I mean, I can see his point and there are some very attractive Wii titles out there, but to base your hardware development on whether outside developers come to you and essentially complain is a rather silly way to do things. This is even more true when you have as hot and cold a relationship with outside devs as Nintendo does.

And yet they're winning. After a decade of not being number 1. After a decade of losing to Sony and also Microsoft. Now they're on top again. Despite doing things that apparently everyone on this forum disagrees with (gross exaggeration, I know)

cool story, bro (edit: what the hell was I thinking, typing that)

Anyway I don't see a reason for Nintendo to need to make a successor to the Wii either, just like I really don't see the need for 5 iterations of the DS. They really need to slow down on that front.

not profitable enough to update graphics when they ares still making a nice profit on the wii.
friggin giving reason for consoles to not strive to look better.
but hey, next gaming machine i'm getting is a glorious master race PC for BF3.
when that comes.
in a few years.
sigh.

I don't think that moving to HD will be cost prohibitive at all for the Wii. Look at how much the 360 and PS3 have dropped in price. Going into the next generation with a price tag of $250 should be doable for 720p if not 1080p (just guessing here). I heard mention once about 2 years ago that the circuitry to enable the Wii to fully support 720p was about $10 per Wii. Not that much until you consider that it would put the price at $260 at launch or it would cost Nintendo a couple hundred million for the first couple of years if they didn't raise the price to offset the expense.

Anyways, all of the recent round of doom and gloom for the Wii will be offset by Metroid, Mario and possibly Zelda this year. This will be the first Wii only Zelda so it could push a couple of systems here and there. Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri and (maybe if it stays exclusive) Epic Mickey are just icing.

I expect to hear about the Wii 2 from Nintendo starting next year, though. It'll be going on year 5 of the Wii...by then all of the motion controlled advantages and fitness craze stuff will be copied to the 360 and PS3. And how many more big Nintendo franchises do they have planned for the next 2 years? It'd be nice if they had Pikmin, Star Fox, FX Zero and Kid Icarus in the works...but, it's Nintendo. And why wouldn't they load the gun for the new platform anyways.

Just make sure it's as backwards compatible as the Wii (Wii, Gamecube and Virtual Console) or it'll be a dumb move. And come ready for Online gaming in the real world!

I think we'll be seeing Nintendo's next system around Q4 of 2012. There's still some heavy support coming from developers, and with the Vitality Sensor on the horizon it seems that there's still some life in the Wii.

cirej2000:
I don't think that moving to HD will be cost prohibitive at all for the Wii. Look at how much the 360 and PS3 have dropped in price.

Aren't they still losing money per sale though? Nintendo always makes sure to profit from each console sold.

Now that, I can't answer. I've heard the "Sony turns the corner on PS3 profitability" about 18 months or so ago. And maybe they did, but the price drops might've erased them. A big part of their costs were the production costs, not necessarily the parts. And I guess that through improved procurement and manufacturing processes they changed that. But price drops probably ate away the profits.

But, remember how quickly electronic components drop in price. What was expensive 5 years ago is pretty dirt cheap today...if it still is even relevant. And a big part of Sony's costs for the PS3 was the Blu-Ray drive.

Maybe the backward compatibility part of a Wii2 would be potentially cost prohibitive if the hardware moves drastically away from the GC/Wii Architecture. But the HD stuff probably could be done for less. Again, this is just guesswork based on what I've read about the costs. Just for entertainment purposes only! ;)

DrDeath3191:
I think we'll be seeing Nintendo's next system around Q4 of 2012. There's still some heavy support coming from developers, and with the Vitality Sensor on the horizon it seems that there's still some life in the Wii.

cirej2000:
I don't think that moving to HD will be cost prohibitive at all for the Wii. Look at how much the 360 and PS3 have dropped in price.

Aren't they still losing money per sale though? Nintendo always makes sure to profit from each console sold.

If they do make one, it MUST have these functions:
1. HD graphics that rival the 360's/PS3's or better if possible.
2. Backwards compatability to ALL Nintendo consoles (including handhelds :D)
3. No friendcodes, just use usernames like XBL and PSN.

Imagine the look of the Wii 2, it would be riddled with all sorts of slots for the different consoles' games, try make that look nice, Nintendo. XD

I heard they're working on the Puu instead. Sorry, had to be said. Why would nintendo even try and bother with HD? It's not really a scene I thought they were ever that big on, perhaps I'm just ignorant, but to me it seems like a family gaming/party peice, and I don't ever see Graphics being a big thing to those two areas. Just my views, don't hate me bro'!

ssgt splatter:
Oh yeah, I think Nintendo will be the first one to come out with a "next gen" console when the time comes. Microsoft and Sony probably can keep the 360 and PS3 going 2 years after the Wii 2 is launched if not longer. One thing is for sure, Nintendo is deffinetly the weakest of the consoles.

agreed ive owned a wii and now its been collecting dust in my basement for about a year now

I wouldn't be surprised if the next console generation had expansion slots so they can stop making entire new gen's and instead go the PC route and have generations of updates instead of clear cut generations.

Wii 2, or Twii as I am calling it from now on, will have to be more like a standard console if it has any chance of being taken seriously outside of the Japanese market. We all know that western gamers weren't exactly happy with the Wii. Either the Twii is more normal or Nintendo will have a pretty big drop in sales outside of Japan.

y does it matter, Nintendo tapped the market that's letting them print money and it isn't gamers, and only gamers care about graphics.

A.C.E:

agreed ive owned a wii and now its been collecting dust in my basement for about a year now

WOW!! A *whole* 15 posts about a wii story before some fanboy troll wades in with his "gathering dust" post!

The trolls are slipping!

Now how long before the "i sold mine after x months" post? I bet with the next 10...

Reggie's statements are obviously PR spin to keep people interested in the Wii. If Nintendo plan on releasing a successor to the Wii in the next five years they've already started working on it.

Are you kidding? You NEED A Wii 2. Just make it backwards compatable and STOP BREAKING MY HEART NINTENDO!

clammy:

A.C.E:

WOW!! A *whole* 15 posts about a wii story before some fanboy troll wades in with his "gathering dust" post!

The trolls are slipping!

Now how long before the "i sold mine after x months" post? I bet with the next 10...

seems a bit silly to register just to say that

ssgt splatter:

The ps3 and 360 were both built to last a 10-year console generation, so nintendo would more than likely just be "catching up" for the remainder of this generation.

clammy:

A.C.E:

The trolls are slipping!

I don't think he's trolling, there are many of us wii owners who have been pretty disapointed lately. i honestly went a whole year and a half without touching my wii, in between super mario galaxy and no more heroes 2. the only thing that's keeping me from selling it is other M.

Damn, does every one of Nintendo's business strategies actually make sense. Everything they've done recently just smells of planning, forethought, and well thought out consideration concerning both hardware and software capabilities. They've even thought to include things that might not be worth it, like the hidden gamecube function of being able to play things in 3D, even though they never used it.

MacDonaldFin:
D

And you say this based on what? From what I can tell they have none of those things and still lead the market by a large margin. And as far as I can tell Mega Man X has 8 bit graphics and is scoring around 80% on metacritic.

Face it, most people don't care about how graphically impressive a game is, as long as it has decent mechanics and does what it's supposed to do. Plants Vs Zombies, Bejeweled 2 on the iPhone, farmville, the thirty or forty versions of peggle, etc etc I could give you a bunch of examples of how casual players make the bulk of the market and don't care about the things you mentioned at all. Hell, even WoW has shitty graphics if you're aiming for HD.

ark123:

MacDonaldFin:

And you say this based on what? From what I can tell they have none of those things and still lead the market by a large margin. And as far as I can tell Mega Man X has 8 bit graphics and is scoring around 80% on metacritic.

Face it, most people don't care about how graphically impressive a game is, as long as it has decent mechanics and does what it's supposed to do. Plants Vs Zombies, Bejeweled 2 on the iPhone, farmville, the thirty or forty versions of peggle, etc etc I could give you a bunch of examples of how casual players make the bulk of the market and don't care about the things you mentioned at all. Hell, even WoW has shitty graphics if you're aiming for HD.

I totally agree. But the only reason I mentioned HD is well, everybody would be expecting it from a next-next gen console(if thats what you would call it.) But oh well, if HD isn't in a Wii 2(if there is going to be one) then I'm not fussed. XD

Onyx Oblivion:
Wii 2 needs a few things things:

HD

No Friend Codes

Backwards support for games bought on Wii Shop. To keep purchases from being useless and all.

I foresee... a world where the Wii has PS3-quality graphics and XBL-like online, just with a LOT more 8-year olds and maybe a little less swearing (unless you're playing Mario Kart, naturally).

It is an oddly comforting world.

Craftybonds:

clammy:

A.C.E:

The trolls are slipping!

I don't think he's trolling, there are many of us wii owners who have been pretty disapointed lately. i honestly went a whole year and a half without touching my wii, in between super mario galaxy and no more heroes 2. the only thing that's keeping me from selling it is other M.

This is very true. I've played my PS2 far more frequently than my Wii, once I buy myself a PS3, I'm probably going to have to sell the Wii and just stop avoiding the inevitable. The only reason the Wii is still in my house is because I haven't bought No More Heroes 2 yet. Once I finish playing that, and I complete the next Legend of Zelda game I don't see any reason the keep the thing.

Unless more interesting games come out in that time

AceDiamond:

StriderShinryu:

John Funk:

And yet they're winning. After a decade of not being number 1. After a decade of losing to Sony and also Microsoft. Now they're on top again. Despite doing things that apparently everyone on this forum disagrees with (gross exaggeration, I know)

Anyway I don't see a reason for Nintendo to need to make a successor to the Wii either, just like I really don't see the need for 5 iterations of the DS. They really need to slow down on that front.

That's exactly it though, they are winning in terms of sales. They could simply say "Hey, we're doing pretty well as it stands" or "We don't see any need for a new system right now" or "The Wii is allowing us to do everything we want to do in our games." It's pretty clear that their success has no real connection to how outside developers (other than shovelware developers) are seeing them. Even given the huge audience out there with Wiis sitting in their homes, 3rd party developers are pretty much avoiding the Wii like the plague.

I totally agree with you on the DS issue, and I'm actually surprised that they aren't doing more of that with the Wii. Why hasn't there been a new sku with the Motion Plus in the package and a few new colours? It's almost strange how they milk their handhelds for everything they've got (and have done so since the original Gameboy) yet don't really do the same with their consoles except for periodic colour releases.

StriderShinryu:

AceDiamond:

StriderShinryu:

John Funk:

That's exactly it though, they are winning in terms of sales. They could simply say "Hey, we're doing pretty well as it stands" or "We don't see any need for a new system right now" or "The Wii is allowing us to do everything we want to do in our games." It's pretty clear that their success has no real connection to how outside developers (other than shovelware developers) are seeing them. Even given the huge audience out there with Wiis sitting in their homes, 3rd party developers are pretty much avoiding the Wii like the plague.

I totally agree with you on the DS issue, and I'm actually surprised that they aren't doing more of that with the Wii. Why hasn't there been a new sku with the Motion Plus in the package and a few new colours? It's almost strange how they milk their handhelds for everything they've got (and have done so since the original Gameboy) yet don't really do the same with their consoles except for periodic colour releases.

Yes, it does make perfect sense. I mean why should they try to make a real gaming system when they can simply continue pushing the half-ass one they have now. Much like a dealer pushing pot outside an elementary school because the lucrative crack market is too daunting for him.

So I guess Nintendo is winning. After all what gamers really want is wii-sports knock offs, game show licenses and tons of shovelware starring Hannah Montana.

Sir John The Net Knight:

So I guess Nintendo is winning. After all what gamers really want is wii-sports knock offs, game show licenses and tons of shovelware starring Hannah Montana.

Well, if winning equals making the most money, there is no question that they are winning. If winning equals making some very fine, if not exactly innovative, games on their own then they're doing pretty well. If winning, however, means appealing to the majority of dedicated gamers (like me, and I can safely assume yourself) then they are very clearly not winning.

StriderShinryu:

Sir John The Net Knight:

Well, if winning equals making the most money, there is no question that they are winning. If winning equals making some very fine, if not exactly innovative, games on their own then they're doing pretty well. If winning, however, means appealing to the majority of dedicated gamers (like me, and I can safely assume yourself) then they are very clearly not winning.

If winning means marketing gaming in the way most emulating McDonalds, then they are certainly winning. If winning means dragging the art of game design into the 9th circle of hell in the name of huge profits derived from granny's social security check, then give these guys the f'ing gold. If...I can't do these analogies anymore...How many possible ways can there be to say that the Wii is cheap junk? I think I've exhausted all of them.

Very strong titles, indeed: another Mario, another Zelda, another Metriod. Ugh.

I wonder if people are payed to act surprised when these games are announced every other year.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here