Final Fantasy XIII Developers Would Like to Make Sequel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

called it. final fantasy 52 coming next month

s69-5:

Onyx Oblivion:
Make it like X-2. All girls!

Vanille, Lightning, and Fang!

And they can switch classes in revealing cutscenes!

I liked X-2 (unlike many). But it was mainly due to the dynamic speed from the ATB.
FFXIII has just topped it with an even more dynamic (and sometimes frantic) battle system. It's very similar to the one in X-2 though, when you think about it.

I know! And I love it!

For fuck's sake, think of the children!

... No, seriously, think of our future children, dammit. I mean, with the bullshit of not releasing Final Fantasy 2 and 3 here in America, covering their asses by releasing Final Fantasy 4 and 6 as 2 and 3, and the absolute idiot choice to release Final Fantasy X-2, this series is officially harder to categorize than any other franchise on the planet! Our kids are going to look back at this history, confused and annoyed, and think about what fucking, drugged-up morons we were when it came to titling.

For the sake of the children, people, STOP BUYING THIS MEDIOCRE BULLSHIT AND PRAISING IT LIKE IT'S THE FUCKING HOLY GRAIL! Wait! Rephrase that, STOP REVIEWING THIS GAME BASED SOLELY ON THE FOUR YEAR HYPE THAT IT CAUSED!

WHY do people not like Final Fantasy X-2? It's one of my all-time favourite games!

Olrod:
WHY do people not like Final Fantasy X-2? It's one of my all-time favourite games!

Personally, I'm big on atmosphere, getting lost in a world that I can sink myself into. Good story arcs and character development are important in order for me to do that. Well, I dunno about you, but I just can't wrap my head around a noble priestess, who was driven to rid the world of a terrible evil and bring peace to the people in the name of the god she worships, turning pop-diva. For whatever reason.

Doesn't that mean your basing your whole opinion of Final Fantasy X-2 from Final Fantasy X, instead of looking at X-2 by itself?

Surely regarding one game on the merits of a different game isn't objective?

The only thing they have in common is the game world and two of the character names, as for all intents and purposes the mechanics of the game (the battle and levelling systems) are completely different, which makes the games themselves inherently different.

It seems unfair to judge X-2 by the standards of FFX when the games play completely different from each other.

Olrod:
Doesn't that mean your basing your whole opinion of Final Fantasy X-2 from Final Fantasy X, instead of looking at X-2 by itself?

Surely regarding one game on the merits of a different game isn't objective?

The only thing they have in common is the game world and two of the character names, as for all intents and purposes the mechanics of the game (the battle and levelling systems) are completely different, which makes the games themselves inherently different.

It seems unfair to judge X-2 by the standards of FFX when the games play completely different from each other.

Sure, when you forget that the "2" in "X-2" implies it being a sequal, or ignore who Yuna and Titus are and everything else that happened in the previous game, or just leave out the entire fucking ending to Final Fantasy X that lead up to the events of X-2 and completely DEFINE the entire story, then you'd get something different.... A mediocre game about a bunch of little girls fighting monsters while singing pop songs at concerts in their spare time.

a bunch of little girls fighting monsters while singing pop songs at concerts in their spare time.

Did I mention how much I loved this game? :-D

I'd like to play more FFXIII but with Snow and the NORA group, I bet theres a lot of depth in those four characters you see like twice in the game that could be portrayed in a prequal, like Crisis Core but keeping 13's engine and battle system then incorporating a new level up system...or just make FFXIII Dirge of Cerberus with the 4 and Snow

Enigmers:

BlueHighwind:

Yeah, I'm one of those who hate linearity - don't tell me it makes things more cinematic, all I can see is a game so desperate for good graphics that it had to sacrifice huge portions of the Final Fantasy experience just to be made at all.
How about we stop talking about FFXIII-2 and get to working on that FFXII sequel, Fortress that you guys canceled last year?

I don't hate Linearity but FFXIII kind of goes overboard with it.

By the way, what is this about a FFXII sequel?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fortress

Square Enix hired GRIN to make an action game a few years ago. But then Square Enix wasn't happy with the results and rejected everything without paying, so GRIN went belly-up. GRIN released a huge amount of design sketches just before closing forever. As far as I know, the game is basically canceled. Ashe was set to make an appearance, by the way.

Coming soon 'Final Fantasy XIII-2: All the shit that got cut from the first game'

If they make a sequel I refuse to buy it. I'm so disgusted that they slapped the Final Fantasy name on this game it's ridiculous. I didn't think they could to worse than a game where the main character is completely unnecessary to the story (FF12) and now we get this game that is so linear it might as well be a movie. They sold out the main feeling of a Final Fantasy title: exploring and side-quests. I've been a fan of the series since Super Nintendo days, but I think after this travesty I'm done.

ike42:
If they make a sequel I refuse to buy it. I'm so disgusted that they slapped the Final Fantasy name on this game it's ridiculous. I didn't think they could to worse than a game where the main character is completely unnecessary to the story (FF12) and now we get this game that is so linear it might as well be a movie. They sold out the main feeling of a Final Fantasy title: exploring and side-quests. I've been a fan of the series since Super Nintendo days, but I think after this travesty I'm done.

I've been a fan since the NES days and I love it. The battle system takes the previous best (X-2) and speeds it up further, making the battles even more dynamic and engaging.

I'm at Chapter 10 and I hear it opens up in chapter 11 as far is linearity goes. I dunno, all FF games are linear when you think about it. Just, this one waits longer to allow you to stray from the path. I thought it would annoy me, but, with the battles being what they are, FFXIII has surpassed my expectations (based on pre-launch nay-sayers)

TheDrunkNinja:
For the sake of the children, people, STOP BUYING THIS MEDIOCRE BULLSHIT AND PRAISING IT LIKE IT'S THE FUCKING HOLY GRAIL! Wait! Rephrase that, STOP REVIEWING THIS GAME BASED SOLELY ON THE FOUR YEAR HYPE THAT IT CAUSED!

Sorry you don't like it. But how about not yelling at us to not buy what WE like? I personally think FFXIII is one of the best in a while. And FFX-2 used to have the best battle system of the bunch (now it's XIII). Also, the game is being reviewed for what it is, a great FF experience and not as you put it: 4 years of hype.

Seriously though, if you don't like it fine, but don't try to shove your ideals down my throat.

I'm gonna go ahead and call shenanigans right now. FFXV is inevitable. I'd also like to go out on a limb and say I like summoning large monsters, not autobots, but that's just me. And seriously, what happened to FFXIII Versus?! Its like they're pretending they didn't announce it!

Altheus_Necron:

The DSM:
Final Fantasy X-2, FF7 Dirge of Cererus...

Learn from these, Final fantasy sequels blow big time.

I agree wholeheartedly, although neither of the original games was written with a sequel in mind. They existed solely to try and cash in on fan hype.

If 13 has been written with thought to there possibly being a sequel involved it might make the follow up suck less...

And pigs might fly, Michael Atkinson might stop being a giant tool and the PS3 vs 360 debate might be settled by a giant pillow fight.

I loved Dirge of Cerberus! What was wrong with it, except stiff combat? (I'm saying this as somebody who never played FF7.)

Please, no sequel. I don't think I'd be able to stick it.

Olrod:

I disagree with you on that point. I think its well within the spectrum of reason to judge a sequel on the merits of its predecessor. While I haven't played X-2, I would certainly go into it with assumptions of how the game should be or aspects that should be present/adhered to. Like if they decided to scrap the multiplayer from any of the long standing shooter franchises, that itteration would immediately be looked down upon for missing a solidified piece of the franchise formula.

I'm not so sure about this, as I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to play XIII, but while I liked X-2 (it was nice and light-hearted for the most part and had a good battle system), Dirge of Cerberus was terrible. And I had to deal with Cait Sith again. (On the other hand, I liked Crisis Core.) My feelings on FF sequels are mixed.

ike42:

Not got to Chapter 11, then?

I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy 13... Until it started pulling all the traditional bullshit Final Fantasy crap on me. Can't beat this boss? That's because you haven't made a specific character your leader! Even if you do, I hope you got them a specific ability! Oh, what's that? Can't beat a boss a bit further on? That's because it keeps pulling instant KO attacks out of it's arse! Pray to whatever deity you hold dear it doesn't target your leader when you've taken twenty minutes to get it down to 1% health or you have to do it all again!

Yeah, the second it started branching out and giving you loads of crap to do outside of the main quest was the part when it took a dive, but I'm at 43 hour's playtime and can see the end, so I keep soldiering on like a giant twat...

s69-5:
Sorry you don't like it. But how about not yelling at us to not buy what WE like? I personally think FFXIII is one of the best in a while. And FFX-2 used to have the best battle system of the bunch (now it's XIII). Also, the game is being reviewed for what it is, a great FF experience and not as you put it: 4 years of hype.

Seriously though, if you don't like it fine, but don't try to shove your ideals down my throat.

Indulge an old western RPGer who enjoys parody over brevity.

Cry foul all you want, but posting an opinion on a forum can hardly be considered an intrusion upon other people's views. Otherwise, I could say the same of what you are doing right now, and then we would have gotten nowhere. Truly, I am not happy with the current steps foward that Square-Enix have taking. However, considering the obvious dramatics and over-reaction (written capitalized, not yelling), I did not think that it would actually be necessary for me to explain my sarcasm.

To be so defensive is rather unimpressive, it would have been simpler to say that you just disagree with me. Hell, if you honestly do not like what I had to say, it would have been better just to ignore me all together. I don't believe I have gained any real control over you or any who reads my post, so you can hardly call what I said (an opinion made mostly out of comedic value) to be "shoving my ideals down your throat." Such an accusation is meaningless if you actually have the will to make your own decisions. And you do. And so do I. Get it?

TheDrunkNinja:

s69-5:

Indulge an old western RPGer who enjoys parody over brevity.

Cry foul all you want, but posting an opinion on a forum can hardly be considered an intrusion upon other people's views. Otherwise, I could say the same of what you are doing right now, and then we would have gotten nowhere. Truly, I am not happy with the current steps foward that Square-Enix have taking. However, considering the obvious dramatics and over-reaction (written capitalized, not yelling), I did not think that it would actually be necessary for me to explain my sarcasm.

To be so defensive is rather unimpressive, it would have been simpler to say that you just disagree with me. Hell, if you honestly do not like what I had to say, it would have been better just to ignore me all together. I don't believe I have gained any real control over you or any who reads my post, so you can hardly call what I said (an opinion made mostly out of comedic value) to be "shoving my ideals down your throat." Such an accusation is meaningless if you actually have the will to make your own decisions. And you do. And so do I. Get it?

All caps is yelling my friend. If you do not mean it as such, don't do it. Use tags instead (replace the {} with square brackets and you'll be in business {b} {/b} is bold. Use bold and it will seem a lot less rude and people will not accuse you of yelling.

My reaction and use of words such as "shoving down my throat" was due to your yelling.

And as for sarcasm, well that was not clear in the least (as it doesn't read on the internet). Maybe use [/sarcasm] tag? Besides there are many who do talk like that and mean it 100%, no sarcasm added.

Flight:
I'm not so sure about this, as I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to play XIII, but while I liked X-2 (it was nice and light-hearted for the most part and had a good battle system), Dirge of Cerberus was terrible. And I had to deal with Cait Sith again. (On the other hand, I liked Crisis Core.) My feelings on FF sequels are mixed.

Never judge FF based on Dirge of Cerberus (the worst FF game ever made - yes worse than Mystic Quest!) That's like judging Star Wars based on the Christmas special.

FFXIII is good fun and if you like X-2, take that battle system, ramp it up a few notches and you've got FFXIII's awesome battle system.

Direct sequel or new game, I am content with both. X-2 was fun and so is FF 13, all thats needed for me.

Wait, there are already three games in the XIII world. XIII, Versus, and that Crystal one. Why do they need to make a squeal game?

Self-modded upon further thought, so as not to incur the wrath of the Mighty Banhammer +10.
Please ignore and move on.

Are people still whinging about the linearity in FF13?
For a start it's no more linear than any other FF game, it's been said already.

I bet if it was given an entirely different name and passed off as a spin-off series it'd be getting twice the praise from most people.

You need to realise that 'Final Fantasy' is just a label. It's not a series and doesn't necessarily have to be the same gameplay.
If you're a long time fan you should know by now to look these games up before you take a blind dive and buy them anyway.

s69-5:
Self-modded upon further thought, so as not to incur the wrath of the Mighty Banhammer +10.
Please ignore and move on.

What an interesting turn of events. I suppose we'll just have to keep this between the two of us, eh lad?

It may not actually be more linear than other Final Fantasys (I'm assuming that's the correct plural instead of fantasies) but it FEELS like it's a lot more linear.

You get to fight a pre-determined battle with pre-determined monsters, then all you can do is run forward to the next pre-determined point for a pre-determined battle with pre-determined monsters.

s69-5:

ike42:

I've been a fan since the NES days and I love it. The battle system takes the previous best (X-2) and speeds it up further, making the battles even more dynamic and engaging.

I'm at Chapter 10 and I hear it opens up in chapter 11 as far is linearity goes. I dunno, all FF games are linear when you think about it. Just, this one waits longer to allow you to stray from the path. I thought it would annoy me, but, with the battles being what they are, FFXIII has surpassed my expectations (based on pre-launch nay-sayers)

The point is that you shouldn't have to play a game for 20 hours before it starts to be fun. I just spoke to a friend of mine and he said that it never really breaks away from the stupid single path. The battle system is fine, I can't say I love the leveling system, but the real backbone of the game is just terrible.

Korolev:
Would be welcome.

I'm about 18 hours into FFXIII. Despite LOATHING the first 10 or so hours, the past few have really picked up the slack and made FFXIII interesting and fun. Definitely stick through with it - it gets better. I won't disagree that the first 5 to 6 chapters are absolute crap, but the rest are a steady improvement.

Apparently, one of the reasons why the first half of FFXIII sucked so badly was due to the fact that they spent so much time getting the graphics engine and the game play system right. I don't think that's the road they should have taken, and I definitely think FFXIII suffered because of it (to clarify, FFXIII is not a bad game by any means. It's just one of the worst FF game so far, but still manages to be good, at least, past the first 10 to 12 hours).

If they made a sequel it will allow them to focus purely on expanding the world, filling it with more variety and events and side-quests. Right now, FFXIII's world seems a bit.... bare bones. Half Empty. Sterile almost. Which doesn't endear it to me very much.

But a sequel could correct all that, and make FFXIII worth plaything through a second time.

you know saying that the a game gets good after X hours later is like saying that the first x hours are absolute crap. that doesn't make sense to me

X-2 sucked. That aside, I'm pretty sure the game will sell tons and that there will be a FFXV.

Anyways I'm amongst those who love FFXIII, and I would gladly see what its sequel has to offer! :D

Logan Westbrook:
But occasionally there is a game that bucks the trend, like Final Fantasy X-2, and Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama, producer and director of FFXIII, are interested in going there again.

Speaking at a French launch event for FFXIII, Producer Yoshinori Kitase said: "In the past three years we worked both on the world and on the various systems. Creating these systems isn't very glamorous and can frankly be a bit boring. If we could do a XIII-2, we could direct all our attention to the story and refine what we have already built."

But X-2 revamped the combat system of X, and was probably the best thing about that game. It sounds like they just want to make a continuation of the story with the same combat system for a XIII-2.

How the hell can they miss the point so bad when they're the company that makes the flipping games!

........AH HA HA HA HA!

No. No, no, no, no, no. No.

Then why did they decide to make FFXIV? They could have used that time/money working on this.

The developers need to die in a hole somewhere. Unless they completely change everything about 13. Bring back the fun battle systems, open world exploring, sidequests and USE MORE THAN ONE FUCKING CHARACTER IN BATTLE and maybe we'll talk.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here