Student Builds 8x8 LED Version of Super Mario Bros.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Student Builds 8x8 LED Version of Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. still looks pretty fun even when it's only composed of 64 pixels.

A student at Carnegie Mellon University known only as Chloe has created one of the simplest versions of Super Mario Bros. ever. She came up with the project for a class called Gadgets, Sensors, and Activity Recognition.

Chloe's version of Mario plays on a one-color 8x8 LED matrix hooked up to an Arduino Nano, an open-source electronics platform that smart people use. The controls are even easier than the original NES's D-pad and two-button configuration, as Arduino Mario players simply move forward and jump. The only way to die is to prematurely push the forward button while blocked, so Goombas and Koopa Troopas have unfortunately been left out of this experiment.

What rounds out the project is how Chloe implemented a second Arduino board that plays the Super Mario Bros. theme. It doesn't seem like an 8x8 LED matrix would be able to give a player the same feeling as Super Mario Bros. for the NES, but Chloe's project really does. Her version of Mario even appears to have a similar floaty jump mechanic to that of the original 8-bit plumber. It strikes me as the kind of game we might be playing someday while huddled in an underground bunker after the apocalypse, trying to relive the old, happy days of videogaming.

(Via: PopSci)

That was pretty cool, I guess. I don't really see the point in it, but, hey, it's still pretty sweet.

Tom Goldman:
It strikes me as the kind of game we might be playing someday while huddled in an underground bunker after the apocalypse, trying to relive the old, happy days of videogaming.

As likely as that would seem, that was still a bittersweet thing to imagine.

"Before the mutants eat my brain, I'm going to enjoy some Mario."

That was cool. Not really earth-shattering, nor something I'll remember in an hour from now, but cool nonetheless.

That's actually pretty cool. reminds me of the simpler days, it'll probably be just as fun as the original mario.

I was thinking cool but meh.. until the music was added. At that point I suppose you could say that I "got it" and it suddenly became even cooler.

Though totally useless, that is pretty rad.
Better than I could do...
...cuz I am so lazy.

Very creative, but ultimately useless. Still, it's nice to see this sort of thing.

I've never liked the Mario series, not even 64 or SMB 3. I only liked the hilarious RPGs. So, I can't imagine why people do all this stupid stuff with Mario...What a waste of time.

Oh wait...

NOSTALGIA

I really want to find out how this works, what it's coded in and whatnot.

Scrythe:

Tom Goldman:
It strikes me as the kind of game we might be playing someday while huddled in an underground bunker after the apocalypse, trying to relive the old, happy days of videogaming.

As likely as that would seem, that was still a bittersweet thing to imagine.

"Before the mutants eat my brain, I'm going to enjoy some Mario."

"God damn world 5-4!"

[breaks device]

"...FFFFFFFFFFFFFF-"

cool nonetheless, might check to see if there is a builders guide for that and 'attempt' to do it also.

'attempt' as in try until I realize its impossible for me and instead of trying to overcome the adversity, Ill just play the original one.

Wow that's actually pretty cool.

Waste of time, but cool none the less.

Is it me or was there something with her voice? a lisp? Cool contraption either way but not sure whats the point lol

Darchrow:
Is it me or was there something with her voice? a lisp? Cool contraption either way but not sure whats the point lol

Yeah, I call it "big tongue syndrome." (that's what it sounds like) She also sounds somewhat like a deaf person. I know a girl like this, but never brought it up.

It'd be neat being able to make something like that. It shows creativity (even though she's copying a 25 year old game).

I'd love to try it, kudos to her. :)

That pretty damn sweet, Love those games.

So now I'm googling Arduino Nano to see what kind of mess this thing is and what I can make with it... BRB

Looks pretty cool, anyone know where she's from? her accent sounds weird.

That's pretty cool, a nice little gadget she made there.

Major applause for that. I remember trying to program something similar back in the 80s on my ZX81.

I didn't know there were THREE Super Mario Brothers!

In all seriousness this is bloody impressive!

Imagine if Nintendo sue her. The bastards!

Class Project... I wish I had that class

That is actually pretty sweet.... Aah, the good old days. (yes, I know that makes me sound old, so sue me)

Kinda reminds me of the kinda games me and my friends would make on our TI-86 graphing calculators.

I want one for some reason, this is pretty cool

That's awesome. Now, if she can shrink it down to key chain size and sell it to Nintendo to produce, that would make her extremely rich.

I have no idea why you would want to do something like that, but an interesting idea nonetheless... if you're that smart, though, is there really nothing else you could do than make a strange simple version of Super Mario Bros?

That was pretty cool.

EnzoHonda:

Darchrow:

Yeah, I call it "big tongue syndrome." (that's what it sounds like) She also sounds somewhat like a deaf person. I know a girl like this, but never brought it up.

It'd be neat being able to make something like that. It shows creativity (even though she's copying a 25 year old game).

I dunno, maybe she has an accent or she's an international exchange student, you xenophobic pricks.

Anyways, brilliant work replicating an ancient video game classic using barebone electronics.
She'll definitely have a role in rebuilding civilization after the bombs fall.

13lackfriday:
I dunno, maybe she has an accent or she's an international exchange student, you xenophobic pricks.

No, it's a speech impediment.

She's obviously going places. Where I have no idea, but she is going places.

Pretty cool. It doesn't look that fun, but it's definitely a good show of what lights, circuitry, and a brilliant mind can do.

Also, what the hell kind of accent does she have? Is it a lisp?

Hehe. Someone has too much time on there hands! However. Still cool! Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here