Chris Taylor Has No Regrets With Dungeon Siege Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Chris Taylor Has No Regrets With Dungeon Siege Movie

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale was universally panned and bombed at the box office, but Gas Powered Games' Chris Taylor does not regret that it was made.

Released in 2007 and directed by Uwe Boll, the Dungeon Siege film boasted a huge production budget and some big star power. The plot of the film was loosely based on the Dungeon Siege games written and designed by Chris Taylor. Hollywood stars such as Burt Reynolds and Ray Liotta appeared in the film, as well as lesser known but respected genre actors like Ron Perlman and Jason Statham as the main character Farmer. The film was reported to have cost over $60 million to make and yet only grossed $10.3 million worldwide as of February 2008. Dungeon Siege: The Movie! was also roundly panned by critics, earning a spot on most Worst Film of the Decade lists and garnering a mere 4% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes for its "wooden performances" and "laughable dialogue."

Despite all of the negativity, Chris Taylor takes a much healthier view of the whole process.

"I think the world has spoken on the movie, I was just thrilled to go up to the set and meet Jason Statham and Ray Liotta," Taylor told me last week at GDC 2010. "If could I have changed it and said that I don't want to do that, and I didn't get a chance to see inside the sausage-factory of filmmaking and didn't get to meet all of the interesting people, that would be a real shame.

"I think the only thing you can do as a creative person is to aspire to do better next time. If your first oil-painting has got to be the Mona Lisa, then what fun would that be?" he said. "You got to start someplace and grow. Maybe that's our first swing at it."

Does that mean he was hinting at a Supreme Commander 2 movie in the works? "And that it would be better than Dungeon Siege?" he said with a laugh. "No, I'm not hinting at that."

Taylor did add that he got a kick out of Hollywood actors saying lines that he thought of when he was just a kid. "I had a game when I was sixteen that I was designing for my TRS-80 called The World of Ehb," he said. When he was 29 and he started work on Dungeon Siege, he decided to use the setting that he had written for that game. "Then I had Burt Reynolds saying 'Citizens of Ehb' or something like that, I was like 'Burt Reynolds is saying something that I thought in high school. That ain't right!' That was the thrilling part."

I like the enthusiasm. But next time, don't let Uwe Boll direct. And if he has to direct, then make sure you get your money upfront and not a percentage of the gross.

I do like the man's enthusiasm about meeting stars and the like so I can't fault him for that but as Ne1butme just said, don't let Uwe Boll direct and your movie should be that much better.

Honestly, is Chris Taylor just the happiest man in the gaming industry or something? Nothing gets this guy down. You could probably shoot him in the foot and he'd talk about how "it was an experience that few people have in this day and age, and thus I feel blessed and now understand what it means to be shot in the foot."

Has Uwe Boll ever made a successful movie? I don't mean good, but financially successful?

I know he takes advantage of tax loopholes, but has he made money?

Ne1butme:
I like the enthusiasm. But next time, don't let Uwe Boll direct. And if he has to direct, then make sure you get your money upfront and not a percentage of the gross.

Didn't you read it?

He said he doesn't care...cause he still got to meet Jason Statham and Ray Liotta.

Mission accomplished.

This guy really is the happiest person ever. Its kind of intoxicating. I just got around to watching more of his little video production blog thing and seriously either this guy is absolutely nuts or is in love with his life.

thenumberthirteen:
Has Uwe Boll ever made a successful movie? I don't mean good, but financially successful?

I know he takes advantage of tax loopholes, but has he made money?

Yes, his most recent movies, which you don't know about (possibly because they're not game-related) were pretty successful and even decent. He's getting better, even though his reputation won't.

I actually liked the movie. Not the greatest of course but was fairly entertaining, though I made sure not to have high expectations going in so I wasn't disappointed.

I do have to agree though on why Uwe Boll? Is he the only one replying to game-makers movie offers or something? Cause most everyone generally agree that he's the guy to go to if you want cheesiness.

That makes me wonder too. If Uwe Boll is so disliked, why do they let him make films? Alone in the Dark, Far Cry, Dungeon Siege... They're the only ones I can think of that he's done (Did he do Bloodrayne too?).
I have considered getting this film, but I've never gotten around to it.

You know what, if you ignore every other movie ever made, and just look at Uwe Boll movies, then in that continuum Dungeon Siege is actually pretty entertaining.

Ray Liotta looking embarrassed to be there while playing the bad guy is particularly funny.

Believe it or not Uwe Boll has actually made a good movie...Tunnel Rats http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970462/ Check it out on netflix and see what I mean.

Uwe Boll.

That sums it up really. I think the man probably has something wrong with him.

one of the worst fantasy movies i saw, i'd prefer to watch Willow which is an incredibly well acted movie than this piece of raw wood.

I find it so hard to find fault with Chris Taylor's enthusiasm. I mean sure it was an Uwe Boll movie but on the other hand he's just so damn happy about it it's hard to be mad at him.

Eh, if he's happy.

Though, the movie really is as bad as they say. Hideous dialogue, muddled plot, rampant scenery chewing, pointless side stories, unnecessarily long fight scenes, and did I mention its more than 2 hours in length?

You want to know the worst part? I went and watched House of the Dead right afterwards, and had Alone in the Dark lined up after that (which I never ended up watching for fear of going clinically insane).

So yeah, good for him. Just don't try and do a Uwe Boll movie marathon at any point.

This is just like my film class. I make movies with my friends in the hope that they will be good, but there usually really bad. But I don't really care if people don't like them, I just had fun with my friends and it was a great way to spend a few hours of time the only difference is..........I DIDN'T WASTE 40 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!

Well, he has a positive outlook regarding that, so that's good. However, people just need to stay away from Uwe Boll. Maybe we can give him something shiny to distract him from making any more movies.

I actually thought Dungeon Siege was alright. A friend gave it to me for a birthday gift (He knows I hate Uwe Boll), and yet, it was good. You can't always expect perfection, and it wasn't perfect, but it was fun. So good, I actually watched it two more times since (!)

There was a lot about Dungeon Siege(:The Movie!) I rather enjoyed myself. Ray Liotta did strike me as being miscast but he made the best of it, and Jason Statham wasn't given as strong a role as he typically is featured. Storyline in fantasy movies is practically canon to always fall flat. Though Uwe Boll was no help to changing that. But there is one thing that holds Dungeon Siege up....it's hell of a lot better than Dungeons and Dragons:The Embarrassment!
Now if I had written a book or created a game, and someone made a movie about it, I would not care in the least if the movie failed. Though I would hope my book/game still sold afterward. So I can definitely see Chris Taylor's point of view on this.
And if there is one thing Hollywood could finally dip into, is mecha-movies. Avatar's action sure got helped by mechs going at it. So I would love to see Supreme Commander get tapped to get put on the big screen. That would surely inspire someone to try to up it with another mecha movie.

Hey, it was the best Uwe Bolle movie ever done, and the best fantasy-action movie of that year.

Because I remember what else came out that year. That's right, Eragon.

Well, the fact is, if you hire Uwe Boll, your movie is going to fail. Regardless of source material or whatnot. Boll should have stuck to boxing.

I think the only reason this movie bombed is because Uwe boll's name was attached.

thenumberthirteen:

He's managed neither. Never a movie that is actually good, and he has never made anything but pocketchange profits. In fact, he has likely lost tens of millions on an average.

And this proves that Chris Taylor finally has crossed the boundaries of sanity, and now spends his time somewhere between crazy and mindfucked. "I don't care if my IP, which I have poured my heart and soul into, and which has many dedicated fans, is raped by the worst director in existence; I'm happy as long as I get to meet Ray Liotta and Jason Statham."

Yeah, thanks a lot asshole.

Hey, Chris Taylor, glad you're so thrilled. But maybe, just maybe, you should regret the horror you inflicted on those of us who watched that horrible piece of trash?

Yes, I knew what I was getting into when I rented it. Still you should take some responsibility for those mental scars. That kind of damage never really goes away.

Watching the movie, you get the overwhelming sense that Uwe Boll watched The Lord of the Rings trilogy and tried to ape it without understanding in the least what made that trilogy good.

To be slightly fairer to the movie, Rotten Tomatoes gives a 35% to "Krull," which is no better, if not worse in all repects.

Uwe Boll casts a repulse aura on his movies, and people will automatically rate his movies lower than needed. Indeed the above posts go so far as to invoke his name for comedic effect. Welcome to the internet.

Honestly, if Uwe Boll said he wanted to direct a movie based on something I wrote, I'd jump at the chance. The man is the German Ed Wood! He's just too freakin' cool. Fifty years from now, people will still be watching his cheeseball movies and laughing their butts off :-)

That said, I'd still give him my crappiest script ;-) No sense in wasting the good stuff.

Otterpoet:
Honestly, if Uwe Boll said he wanted to direct a movie based on something I wrote, I'd jump at the chance. The man is the German Ed Wood! He's just too freakin' cool. Fifty years from now, people will still be watching his cheeseball movies and laughing their butts off :-)

That said, I'd still give him my crappiest script ;-) No sense in wasting the good stuff.

There is a kind of logic to that thought process. If you can't be famous might as well be infamous, I guess. It would be kind of cool to have your movie torn apart by a future version of MST3K.

I still think Uwe Boll would be better served by society as gas station attendant then a movie director.

They murdered an amazing game and this jackass is happy about it?

I'm sorry. But there is absolutely nothing on this world that can convince me that anyone should have the right to be proud of a Uwe Boll film. Nothing.

"Hollywood stars such as Burt Reynolds and Ray Liotta appeared in the film, as well as lesser known but respected genre actors like Ron Perlman and Jason Statham..."
Tanslation:
"Your parents point at me when they want an example of an old person."
Seriously how anyone under 40 could regard Statham or Perlman as "lesser known" than Liotta or Reynolds is simply mind boggling.

As for the movie, I agree that it was a good idea to go ahead and make it, because like he said you can't paint your masterpiece on the first try, but atleast they're trying.

hansari:

Ne1butme:

Didn't you read it?

He said he doesn't care...cause he still got to meet Jason Statham and Ray Liotta.

Mission accomplished.

Yep. Because $50 million to meet those two is TOTALLY worth it.

OT: I don't hate Uwe. I hate his movies, but I don't hate him after that Loading Ready Run interview.

JaredXE:
Hey, it was the best Uwe Bolle movie ever done, and the best fantasy-action movie of that year.

Because I remember what else came out that year. That's right, Eragon.

I haven't seen Eragon yet, but I cannot imagine it being that much worse than the Dungeon Seige film and have said as much.

Why uwe... most games consists mainly of killing stuff, , why not get a director who knows how to make movies about killing stuff in a good way? Someone who can make fighting a bunch of trash mobs before teh boss look interresting on screen...

If anyone could make a good movie out of a game, Tarentino is where i would put my money.

Watching this movie I didn't even know Uwe Boll directed it. I like it. It's good. The actors carry it very well I think. I don't get why people bash it so much. I personally think it's ripped on simply because Uwe Bolls name is attached to it so people jump the band wagon of hate.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here