Warner Bros. Plans DC Superheroes as Harry Potter Replacement

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Warner Bros. Plans DC Superheroes as Harry Potter Replacement

Warner Bros. is banking on the DC Comics universe once the Harry Potter franchise leaves theaters.

It's an understatement to say that the Harry Potter movies, six of which have already been released with a two-part final chapter still on the way, earn Warner Bros. an absurd amount of money. How will the company survive once its bespectacled source of cash flow can no longer sustain itself past the eighth movie? By relying on the vastness of the DC Comics universe, that's how.

Warner Bros. president Alan Horn confirmed at a presentation this week that the DC superheroes would basically be replacing Harry Potter in its "tent pole" release strategy, through which a few major releases are put out every year. Harry Potter has been a sure bet for this strategy, as the films resonate with magicians and non-magicians alike across the world. Warner needs a consistent stable of future sure bets, and it's planning to tap into the DC universe to do so.

According to Collider, the next big DC superhero movie announcement will be for The Flash. We already know that a successor to The Dark Knight is virtually guaranteed, that a Superman reboot is on the fast-track, and a Green Lantern movie starring Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan is set for 2011. We'll supposedly be hearing more about The Flash soon.

The fact that Warner Bros. is being so bold as to call its future use of DC superheroes a replacement to Harry Potter should excite comics fans. With Batman, Superman, The Flash, and Green Lantern already tied up, I'm curious as to which additional heroes Warner will end up bringing to the big screen, though Wonder Woman is a fairly popular choice. I'm just not sure if the special effects technology is really there yet to create something as incredible as her invisible jet.

Source: Collider

thi is bad ass :D

Harry Potter is one money filled dead horse they're going to beat into a fine mist. I realize that comic book nostalgia translates into big money, but I think the whole genre is still too niche to bring in Harry Potter amounts of money.

This is awesome news. As long as they don't use the same formula for each movie, just replacing the hero.

I guess it depends just how grim gritty they intend to make it. For obvious reasons Batman aproach won't work for The Flash (or pretty much any other mainstream DC character that I know of/can think of at the moment) so they will have to come up with something new. But whatever they do I'll be the 1st one in line to give it a go, just to see how bad/awesome it is.

I like the idea of this.

if its like the incredibles yes... if its live action maybe... if its cartoony ehhhhh

ironically it was already cartoony

DC has pretty much failed at making theater-released movies so far, and before anyone says something I mean in the past decade. The big successes being Watchmen and the 2 new Batman films. On the other hand most of their other media forms sell quite well.

Marvel seems to be leading the comic pack in movie terms. Hits like Iron Man, the NEW Incredible Hulk film, Fantastic Four, and the XMen series. My god, when they don't hit it out of the park they rectify the mistake within a few years.

Heppenfeph:
This is awesome news. As long as they don't use the same formula for each movie, just replacing the hero.

this. im ready to put my massive shield up against the nerd rage i feel coming on but im so pumped to see some of these movies, as long as they are all unique to their character(s) im down for the movies to go and ill be first in line at the movies to see them, thats for sure

Tom Goldman:
I'm curious as to which additional heroes Warner will end up bringing to the big screen, though Wonder Woman is a fairly popular choice. I'm just not sure if the special effects technology is really there yet to create something as incredible as her invisible jet.

I like what you did there. It's the Emperor's new visual effect!

With rumors of an Avengers movie coming, It will be interesting to see if Warner Brothers will be releasing a Justice League or, Justice Friends movie to combat the upcoming Disn...I mean, Marvel Avenger's film

I didn't know this until recently, but the Flash is god. I'm not exaggerating. If you go look him up on the DC wiki, he can pretty much do anything. The movie best be better than sex and not toned down to crap like they always have done.

"Look, up in the sky! It's Superhooker!"

Because an invisible jet doesn't make the pilot invisible.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. I've been looking forward to more DC adaptations, but I'm not too fond of the Warner Bros. studio for some reason. I'll give it a shot, though, and see how it works out. That said, I've been pleased with their distribution of the newest Batman films.

There's so many great possible superhero movies in the DC universe. I mean, The Flash, Green Arrow and Black Canary, freakin' Wonder Woman, the list goes on.

I mean, hell, it's worked pretty well for Marvel.

Assuming the movies are good or by Michael Bay, yeah they'll probably sell like crazy. No more Ghost Riders, please.

ItsAPaul:
Assuming the movies are good or by Michael Bay, yeah they'll probably sell like crazy. No more Ghost Riders, please.

Please god, not Micheal Bay. I'd like to keep the rest of my childhood intact.

Tom Goldman:
....With Batman, Superman, The Flash, and Green Lantern already tied up, I'm curious as to which additional heroes Warner will end up bringing to the big screen, though Wonder Woman is a fairly popular choice. I'm just not sure if the special effects technology is really there yet to create something as incredible as her invisible jet.

I know I wouldn't mind Wonder Woman tied up.

If they want this to work, they need to lay out a DC-movie bible beforehand. Nothing will screw this up more than to let every director and writer do their own thing and destroy any connectivity and continuity between all the heroes.
I just hope to all that is good they never ever bring in Mxzytplyk. I dare you to correct my spelling there. o.o

Jiraiya72:
I didn't know this until recently, but the Flash is god. I'm not exaggerating. If you go look him up on the DC wiki, he can pretty much do anything. The movie best be better than sex and not toned down to crap like they always have done.

Like men don't already carry a stigma of being so quick at sex...

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet......

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure about this. I love Batman, have a strange spot in the heart for Martian Manhunter, and loathe Superman. The PS2 game JLH made me love the Flash and Green Lantern combo, take interest in Wonder Woman, and... well... loathe Zatanna. I ponder if Warner will take that love, loathe, and interest from the game and put it in a ultimate JLH movie (like the eventual Avengers).

Hm, anything to get out of coming up with brand new ideas, huh? Suppose it could be worse though, I mean at least we get some hopefully cool villains this way...

samsonguy920:
Mxzytplyk. I dare you to correct my spelling there. o.o

It's Mr. Mxyzptlk ;-)

See that tentpole?

TIMBER!

(Although Zatanna and the Teen Titans would be nice)

So... Batman and the Philosopher's Stone?

So we heading back to superheroes again? Well, not a bad idea I mean there is so much that can be done with them.

IT was only not too long ago when we were toying with the ideas of it...I wouldnt mind seeing some more movies in the genre if they are made well.

Sadly, I don't see the new stratagy working anywhere outside the US. The biggest Marvel hits all had additional media apart from the comics which was used to popularise their heroes in places where comics arn't as popular (specifically Spiderman & X-men cartoons) and so when the films came out, people already recognised the name and so were interested. The only DC heroes with that sort of name recognician (hell, any name recognician) are Superman & Batman because of their previous films.

How are they going to fill the void left by no more Harry Potter? HARRY POTTER PREQUELS! twenty-five of them actually. Seriously, would they really let such a lucrative proposition slip through their fingers?

Also, I lawl'd at the thought of Wonder Woman in the invisible jet going, "I can't see the fucking controls!"

EDIT: Also, also, I think I'm going to sacrifice a goat every night until I get a Wonder Twins movie.

WB answer to Marvel bring on the Avengers
Bringing on the Justice league.
dun dun dun!

I don't know if Warner quite understands why the Harry Potter universe is so beloved by all if they think the DC universe is a good replacement for their "tent pole" series of films. Harry is not DC heroic whatsoever and DC pushes the everyman as far away from their heroes as possible. It's what separates them from Marvel.

DC heroes are supposed to be ideal. An almost untouchable godlike being that no mere human can ever meet the standards of. Batman works specifically because the Gotham heroes and rogues are (like Marvel heroes) flawed in some way. These human qualities are what connect people with the characters in a way no one attempting to be Superman ever can.

Harry Potter was the gateway to the realm of magic and Fantasy for most mainstream audiences. He was thrust into the position of a hero by the story while managing to overcome very real issues that we (regular humans) must face every day. Be it, doing well in school or muddling through romance Harry has to deal with these problems. Magic is just an aspect of his life that feels like just one more problem to face or skill to master.

Superman and the Green Lantern never work this way. They are DC Heroes. Those seemingly petty things we deal with every day are something that never requires even slight consideration for these characters. The answers to nearly every internal debate is always the same with no possible deviation. DO THE RIGHT THING FOR THE GOOD OF THE WHOLE. DC is chalk full of statuesque idols; Not human characters one can relate to.

This is why nearly any Marvel movie will draw a wider audience than any DC hero outside the Gotham family. This is why Green Lantern, Flash, Superman and Wonder Woman will all fail to draw the crowd that Harry Potter does. It's why DC needs to seriously consider some new management at the top...

Let me tell you a story about women in refrigerators... no no... next time...

I dunno... The thing about Harry Potter is that it's a continuous story with characters who are trapped together in a relatively enclosed area (they're what, the Ministry, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley and the Burrow, along with a few order places).

I know that comics do this too, but it just doesn't seem to me to work in the same way, especially as the narrative could get very confusing and so not make for such a workable series on the screen. Eh, let them do it, see what comes of it. Interesting idea, all the same.

Just my two cents though. :)

As long as they are as good as the last Batman movie...

Look at me! I am the Flash, nothing can stAHHHHH! An oil slick! My one weakness apart from a patch of ice.

Of all the DC heroes he makes the least amount of sense. Yeah he can run fast, but if he actually tried to hit anyone with all the force such speed could produce, his arm would explode in a fine mist. How does he not suffocate when he vibrates through solid matter? With his metabolism he should have died of old age within 48 hours.

Physics vs Fun; physics will always beat out the fun.

Epic Yawn

so more reboot desecration. At least Harry potter was an original concept. I for one am sick to death of super hero movies.

I would rather see an Inspector gadget reboot than something as mediocre as the Flash.

Speaking of reboot, I would rather see a Reboot the show reboot than any of the above. God that show was awesome.

008Zulu:
Look at me! I am the Flash, nothing can stAHHHHH! An oil slick! My one weakness apart from a patch of ice.

Of all the DC heroes he makes the least amount of sense. Yeah he can run fast, but if he actually tried to hit anyone with all the force such speed could produce, his arm would explode in a fine mist. How does he not suffocate when he vibrates through solid matter? With his metabolism he should have died of old age within 48 hours.

Physics vs Fun; physics will always beat out the fun.

This is why Physics is never invited to any nice parties.

If Warner Bros has access to the Vertigo side of DC, then Fables, make it happen! Only if it's a good adaptation of course...

But from just a Superhero stand point, Booster Gold please and thank you. Green Arrow can work with the gritty formula.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here