StarCraft II Beta Testers Get Invite-A-Friend Privileges

StarCraft II Beta Testers Get Invite-A-Friend Privileges

It's time to start sucking up to all of your friends in the StarCraft II beta!

The image you see here to the right is a screenshot of an email that popped up in my email yesterday - and I'm not the only one who got one of these babies. Yep, you're reading it right: Everyone in the StarCraft II beta test now has one free code to give out to a single friend of their choice!

As far as I know, this is actually the first time Blizzard has done anything like this with its beta tests; I certainly never got an "invite a friend" code to the Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King betas, that's for sure. In this case, though, it seems that the Irvine-based developer is trying to kill multiple birds with one beta invite. Not only is this a test of some of the new Battle.net 2.0 community features, it effectively doubles the beta population, meaning that the developers can stress-test the service more effectively, and they have a larger sample pool with which they can tweak the matchmaking system.

It also doesn't hurt that they get more word of mouth out about having an awesome game - that's always a plus. StarCraft II even in beta form is more awesome than many games at full release, and now twice as many people get to experience it. Hooray!

And before you ask: No, sorry, I gave my key away already (you'll have to kill Austin for it), but maybe Blizzard will do something like this again. So you'll have another chance to prove to your beta-testing friends why they should love you more than everybody else!

*tries to run beta*
*computer explodes from not meeting reqs*

Fuck...Even LESS hope for my laptop.

You know, a small part of the reason Starcraft 1 is still so popular is the fact that it is so old that it runs on ANYTHING.

God damnit someone invite me!

Austin's dead

Ah hell.

At least I have internet in my bunker. Thanks, Funk.

Onyx Oblivion:
*tries to run beta*
*computer explodes from not meeting reqs*

Fuck...Even LESS hope for my laptop.

You know, a small part of the reason Starcraft 1 is still so popular is the fact that it is so old that it runs on ANYTHING.

I confirm that it runs on anything. I have a laptop from the last decade.

This is possibly the worst of Blizzard's ideas... Why let people invite each other when there are still MILLIONS of people waiting in the queue for an invite in the first place!?

I "pirated" the beta so until I get bored of playing with the AI I'll keep my dignity intact.

Invite a friend huh? Shane I don't know anyone in the beta ;-;

Kinda seems odd...

Aren't there still people waiting for their initial Beta invite?

I didnt get a beta invite, and no one I know plays Starcraft :(

Aww... Now I'm even more jealous. :_(

Is there anyone in the beta that wants to be my friend?

...in other words, send me a beta key goddammit! :P

Who wants to be my friend! Plase PM me a key. <3 <3 <3

Ya, I don't have any real life friends who are in the beta. If anyone here is willing to share their invite, that would be amazing.

Mary: Hey Jimmy! People in the Starcraft 2 beta can give an invite to other people! Invite me so we can play together <3!!!

Jimmy: Uhhh, yeah, about that, uhmmm, I already invited Bob...

Mary: What!!! I thought what we had was special! *runs off crying*

This is an evil ploy to make people play favorites with their loved ones and rip relationships apart. I'm on to you Blizzard, you sick bastards...

On a more serious note I think they should invite the people who actually took the time to sign up for the beta, do the little events, etc etc instead of hoping whoever people invite, if they indeed invite anyone at all, will prove to be a useful tester. The odds are better for the person who's already proven they are willing to stick some time into it then random friend of a beta tester.

Suddenly, 250 SC2 invides show up on ebay.

Crap...my senseless distaste in mankind and lack of human relations has finally caught up with me!

Curse you social skills! Curse you to the ends of the galaxy!

Hurray Forums:
Mary: Hey Jimmy! People in the Starcraft 2 beta can give an invite to other people! Invite me so we can play together <3!!!

Jimmy: Uhhh, yeah, about that, uhmmm, I already invited Bob...

Mary: What!!! I thought what we had was special! *runs off crying*

This is an evil ploy to make people play favorites with their loved ones and rip relationships apart. I'm on to you Blizzard, you sick bastards...

On a more serious note I think they should invite the people who actually took the time to sign up for the beta, do the little events, etc etc instead of hoping whoever people invite, if they indeed invite anyone at all, will prove to be a useful tester. The odds are better for the person who's already proven they are willing to stick some time into it then random friend of a beta tester.

Well, I do think this is as much a test of the community/social features as it is of the game.

dududf:
Kinda seems odd...

your avi is AWESOME how the hell you find that! xD

OT i dont know any beta testers Dx

Teiraa:

dududf:
Kinda seems odd...

your avi is AWESOME how the hell you find that! xD

OT i dont know any beta testers Dx

Hello person # :19

I have made this statement for the occasion some one ELSE pm's (*edit, you quoted.) me as to how awesome my Avatar is.

I appreciate it.

Have a good day/evening/morning Sir/Madam.

anyone got a spare invite? :D

and hopefully they'll be more ambitious for next one, like whoever's in the beta can invite anyone they want

Not all the testers have the invites. I think they just took a large random sample, so that they can test the friend features a bit more. I'm not too embittered by it though, I'm happy enough with my one key for the time being ^^

Woohoo! Already gave mine to my brother, though.

So.. Blizzard just handed out (*checks eBay*) between 60 and 100 USD to every single person who got randomly picked for their beta?

But so many of us are still in que for keys! D=

This is the part where I punch myself in the balls for not having any online friends...

I will suck someone's dick for a beta key.

I wonder if eBay/Amazon has any keys up for sale? Or I could just try some of my old pirate connections... Either way, I'm getting into that goddamned beta.

'scuse me, I'm gonna make a few brownies to send to my brother, along with a new car...

Anyone want to be my absolute bestest friends forever in the history of everness? Then send me a damn beta key before I do horrible things to you with a pair of pliers, a vice grip, and a vat of super chunky peanutbutter

Awesome idea...if you know a freind in the beta sadly i do not but along with this they probably give some to websites so they can host a competition or something (i hope lol)

Does anyone know if newly registerd Starcraft 2 beta testers also get this email?

Like someone who got into the beta 1-7 days ago.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here