Final Fantasy XIII Is the Fastest-Selling Final Fantasy

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Final Fantasy XIII Is the Fastest-Selling Final Fantasy

Square-Enix's latest JRPG epic Final Fantasy XIII is the fastest-selling installment in over two decades of series history.

We already knew that Final Fantasy XIII had shipped an impressive five million copies for its Western launch, but ship numbers don't necessarily equate to sales.

It looks like the sales are doing just fine, though - easily topping multiformat charts, Final Fantasy XIII sold a million units in five days here in North America, making it the fastest-selling entrant in the series thus far. It's no Modern Warfare 2, sure, but it's certainly a very respectable showing from the game - which has been getting similarly respectable, if not stellar, reviews.

Have you picked it up yet? Or are you waiting - or not going to buy it at all?

(G4TV)

In my opinion, it deserves all the sales it has gotten. Final Fantasy has renewed my love for the series after the shit buns that FF11 and FF12 were. So... Victory Theme I guess!

It's going to have to wait til I gain some income.

I bought it day one for my 360, since I don't own a PS3.

Hell, when I get a PS3, I'll buy it AGAIN.

Played some at a friends house on the Xbox360, it RROD last night and now he must wait to finish it. I however am not buying this game, its honestly not that great at all, the only reason I would want this game is to see how sexy it looks on a PS3 and on a HD TV, as I must admit the cutscene/gameplay graphics are pretty amazing. Beyond that no thanks.

Onyx Oblivion:

Overkill?

OT: When I can, I'll be sure to buy it.

I want this game so much, but I can't justifiy buying a PS3 or Xbox360 for one game. Who ever thought PC would be limiting :/

*Spins his buster sword in the air*

And how well is the 360 version selling? Well enough that SE will release FFXIII Versus on it? Maybe even so well that they'll stop making PS3 exclusives?

God, I hate exclusivity.

I'm waiting till I got enough money to buy me FF13 for the PS3. Well, other than that, glad to hear that it's doing swell.

Pre-ordered and then picked up as soon as EB opened. I didn't feel too desperate because there were a few others who were waiting before I got there.

It made me interested in FF 9 if that counts

though I will not play this game unless I borrowed it from a friend, I wouldnt pay any sort of money for it

ForgottenPr0digy:

There is no fanfare in 13...I didn't hear it, at least...DAMN IT ALL!

I'm leaving this one till the summer to really dive into it.

John Funk:

image]

Subtitles, Funk? REALLY?

And that's an IN GAME engine screenshot. GORGEOUS!

Awesome.

Final Fantasy XIII has actually resparked the series. So I can't wait for Versus :)

I may buy it at some point, but not right now. The only FF games I've played are FF3 on the DS (one of my favourite DS games) and right now playing through FF7. Credit where credits due though, FF13 looks (graphically) awesome.

Onyx Oblivion:

ForgottenPr0digy:

There is no fanfare in 13...I didn't hear it, at least...DAMN IT ALL!

Final Fantasy XIII does not have the classic ending theme for winning a battle.

Final Fantasy XII is really a good game(and very good final fantasy game)

So I guess I made the right choice in putting it in my purchase list, then?

Onyx Oblivion:

What he said. Great game, even on the 360, but I wouldn't mind seeing the cutscenes without the compression. Such a good game, though.

I have mixed opinions about FF XIII and the changes they made for it, combined with the very Japanese excuses like "Blu-ray is better, but is so awesome we can no longer make RPG cities in it" (WTF?) when questioned about certain things. That and touting more linearity than ever before as an "advantage". :P

That said I think it's mixed reviews are largely it being picked on for being a "Final Fantasy" game to be honest. Simply because a lot of the desicians fall under the catagory of dumbing it down/making it easier (or at least faster/more approachable). "Mass Effect 2" got rave reviews despite doing a lot of the same kinds of stuff for example.

That isn't to say it's perfect, but for all of it's flaws and such I don't think it's any worse than some other releases which received higher scores. Though I suppose it could be argued whether it was underrated, or they were overrated.

I also will say that I did indeed notice the missing fanfare, and other little details that are series trademarks. Really, I think someone needs to be bopped in the head at Square-Enix. None of this really detracts from the game itself, but it's stuff that should have been there.

Truthfully, I never cared for the Final Fantasy games. I usually rent them just because I have never seen much re-play value.

Yeah i picked it up on launch day, havn't played it much which is a shame, it's definitely one of the best in the series

Great; the thinly-veiled remake of FF7 is doing good.

Ah well, glory to them I suppose.

This is no surprise really
Games are much more mainstream and the market is much bigger these days. Final fantasy is also a mainstream RPG series, it has been heavily advertised, the good graphics make for nice screenshots/adverts and it's gameplay has been refined to a very fast pace

However, the music just isn't the same without Nobu and while this is coming from someone who is about halfway through, it still doesn't feel like I've started playing entirely with the lack of third character

Oh well, it's a good game with a decent story so it deserves the sales

I bought it day one for PS3.

I also bought FFVI, VIII, IX, XII on day one.

FFIV, FFVII and FFX, I had to wait till I bought the respective consoles, but they were all 1st day purchases when I got the console.

FFI I rented a long time ago, then got it for my birthday (ah the good old days when parents spent money instead of me)... And soon, I'll be a Dad. Maybe I'll be buying FFXVII for my kid.

Well it's not really surprising. There are simply more people around with the current generation of consoles who purchase games.

Shame. I keep hearing it's the worst.

It sure is fast selling but it's killing PS3s.

UltimatheChosen:
And how well is the 360 version selling? Well enough that SE will release FFXIII Versus on it? Maybe even so well that they'll stop making PS3 exclusives?

God, I hate exclusivity.

I read somewhere that worldwide sales were about 30%-70% 360-PS3, but I don't have a source on that, and I recall that Japan only got a PS3 version. So that could skew the sales numbers somewhat.

I'm not surprised it sold well. It's a pretty damn good game.

Have you picked it up yet? Or are you waiting - or not going to buy it at all?

Turned up in my postbox on release day. ;D

SUPA FRANKY:
In my opinion, it deserves all the sales it has gotten. Final Fantasy has renewed my love for the series after the shit buns that FF11 and FF12 were. So... Victory Theme I guess!

It's pretty damn good, though I do have probably three complaints. I'm only in Chapter 4 atm, so it might not be valid later but in any case, It's extremely linear, I can't earn any money to buy things, and... I'm not a fan of the whole being completely healed after a battle. It doesn't really make much sense, it makes the battles too easy and the game is pretty much holding my hand the whole time.

I'm not that surprised. It looks gorgeous, to the point to make me think that even if the gameplay is screwed up and the heroes are unbearable, I'd still buy that. If I had a console, that is.

Daedalus1942:

SUPA FRANKY:

It's pretty damn good, though I do have probably three complaints. I'm only in Chapter 4 atm, so it might not be valid later but in any case, It's extremely linear, I can't earn any money to buy things, and... I'm not a fan of the whole being completely healed after a battle. It doesn't really make much sense, it makes the battles too easy and the game is pretty much holding my hand the whole time.

Daedalus1942:

SUPA FRANKY:

The full healing actually makes a lot of sense later on, because it lets them give you genuinely challenging "trash" fights - the designers never had to worry about "Oh, will we be wearing them down too much for the final boss fight of this part" because they could assume you were going into every single battle at full strength.

FF13 is the only final fantasy where I reliably died to non-boss monsters.

Amnestic:

Daedalus1942:

SUPA FRANKY:

I thought Fang was Snow's Import name? I might be wrong.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here