NBC Filming Reality Show About Geeks

Pages 1 2 NEXT

NBC Filming Reality Show About Geeks

NBC has a reality show in the works that should appeal to the geek in all of us.

NBC will begin filming a pilot tomorrow for a brand new reality show about the life of the geek called Team Comicana. Rather than following seven strangers picked to live in a house to find out what happens when people stop being polite, and start getting real, or following the hilarious antics of people nicknamed "The Situation," Team Comicana will be about fans of Star Wars, Joss Whedon, and Comic Con.

Team Comicana filming will first take place at a signing held at London's Forbidden Planet tomorrow with comic greats Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. promoting the (NSFW) Kick-Ass movie based on the comic of the same name. If you live near the store, you might be able to get on television, though comic fans are likely to be lined up across the block by now. The signing will take place from 2-3 pm London time.

The pilot will follow Neal Bailey, assistant editor for the largest unofficial Superman homepage, Greg Squire, a man that gets choked up while watching the Transformers movie, Steve Holmes, a Star Wars fan without rival, and Luke Barnard, who is changing his middle name to 'Luthor' so his name will sound closer to 'Lex Luthor.' More details on the four are available at Bleeding Cool. The reality show reportedly will build up to the subjects' trip to the San Diego Comic Con, and may feature others from around the world as well.

With geek culture now pervading a more mainstream landscape, evident by popular shows such as Big Bang Theory, it wouldn't be crazy to think that Team Comicana is only the beginning. It will be interesting to see if the show can be something that will appeal to a wide audience, or even if it'll be worth watching at all.

Source: Bleeding Cool

I'm cringing already.

More fodder for my friends' idiot female friends that think geeks r liek totally cuuute but all hate me for being... kind of geeky. Awesome.

This is not going to be as good as Fresh Prince. NOTHING will be...

Calumon: Hehehehe, silly. They forgot to star Jack! ^^

The only reason I can see this show being popular is because people will watch it and think to themselves "man these guys are losers...lets watch more". I'm sorry to say but with any reality tv show the world isn't laughing with you; its pointing, laughing, and throwing tomatoes at you.

I read the title as "NPC Filming Reality Show About Geeks".

I knew AI has been improving over the years, but DANG yo.

The last thing we need is more reality tv.

I've actually been to Lost Planet a couple of times. Great stuff in there, geek heaven, but since my local comic book store (American Comics) sells nearly every book they have £3 cheaper I've never bought anything.

OT: Maybe I'll watch this show. Maybe. It's been a LONG time since reality TV has been a pull for me. Now if it's shot Documentary style then cool, why not? Mega geeks are fun to watch.

EDIT: Holy shit I hit 4000 without realising!

This isn't "spreading geek culture"...

This kinda shit is LAUGHING AT geek culture.

KeyMaster45:
The only reason I can see this show being popular is because people will watch it and think to themselves "man these guys are losers...lets watch more". I'm sorry to say but with any reality tv show the world isn't laughing with you; its pointing, laughing, and throwing tomatoes at you.

That's pretty much how I expect it to go, like Jersy Shore but with geeks rather than douce bags.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Joe-Schmoe:
I read the title as "NPC Filming Reality Show About Geeks".

I read it like "NBC Filming Reality Show About Geeks".
Silly, righ-

Oh, really?
Wow...
Just...
Just wow.

Onyx Oblivion:
This isn't "spreading geek culture"...

This kinda shit is LAUGHING AT geek culture.

Took the words out of my mouth Frank.

They're not laughing with us.

That reminds me of a show that might possibly be better than this: Game Damage?

What happend to that show?

The one thing they forgot to factor in when trying to appeal to us is that this is a "reality tv show." Therefore, this will not appeal to geeks, no matter what the content.

And ya, the featuring of uuber geeks, who probably have unhealthy obsessions with their area of fandom, is not a nice tip of the hat to geeks. It's pointing a laughing finger at them, putting them in the same category with ridiculously obese people, midgets, OCD people, and all the other groups whom reality TV has chosen to "appeal to"(i.e. expose for mockery).

When geek culture becomes mainstream it's no longer geek culture. Nerds are nerds for not fitting in with the mainstream. That said I think what they are looking for is mostly fairly normal people that happen to have one major obssessive fandom or wierd habit from the way it sounds. For example a guy who runs the biggest Superman site might be a huge Superman/DC comics fan, but I'd imagine his nerddom falls just outside of acceptable perameters. I doubt we'll be seeing many of the dudes you see attending console launches in costume, or who follow myriad fandoms to the point where they could be considered totally outside of the norm. ;)

That said I can see where they are trying to go with this, but I'll be surprised if it goes anywhere. To some extent it seems to be to be an extension of so called "nerd chick" which is basically where people try and act slightly nerdy to get "brains" credit. For example a girl who plays the occasional game of God Of War is *NOT* a game nerd.

Hard to go into without starting a big rant, and this post is already nearing the 4 paragraph mark. :P

As far as Game Damage goes, I myself have tossed out the occasional query here and there but never got any responses. That said while it would have been interesting, I'm not sure if it would have done especially well even if picked up, it would have been worth seeing the attempt though.

Therumancer:
When geek culture becomes mainstream it's no longer geek culture. Nerds are nerds for not fitting in with the mainstream. That said I think what they are looking for is mostly fairly normal people that happen to have one major obssessive fandom or wierd habit from the way it sounds. For example a guy who runs the biggest Superman site might be a huge Superman/DC comics fan, but I'd imagine his nerddom falls just outside of acceptable perameters. I doubt we'll be seeing many of the dudes you see attending console launches in costume, or who follow myriad fandoms to the point where they could be considered totally outside of the norm. ;)

That said I can see where they are trying to go with this, but I'll be surprised if it goes anywhere. To some extent it seems to be to be an extension of so called "nerd chick" which is basically where people try and act slightly nerdy to get "brains" credit. For example a girl who plays the occasional game of God Of War is *NOT* a game nerd.

Hard to go into without starting a big rant, and this post is already nearing the 4 paragraph mark. :P

As far as Game Damage goes, I myself have tossed out the occasional query here and there but never got any responses. That said while it would have been interesting, I'm not sure if it would have done especially well even if picked up, it would have been worth seeing the attempt though.

Agreed, why are geeks freaking market products all of a sudden? Weren't we social rejects some time ago? Next thing you see is a twilight-style geek romance movie! I'd kill myself!

Oh sweet merciful Zeus, I can't watch it. Why is 'Geek Culture' hip all of a sudden? Don't get me wrong, I am a nerd, I acknowledge it and embrace it. I also know that as nerds go, I am a shining and socially acceptable nerd, but I have met the REAL geeks, and they should never be put on camera and ruin it for the rest of us.

Though I'd like to meet the Star Wars fan and beat his ass in a trivia game.

Sturmdolch:
More fodder for my friends' idiot female friends that think geeks r liek totally cuuute but all hate me for being... kind of geeky. Awesome.

I could hug you....we are both in edmonton.....Just please don't tell me your last name is Rasmunsen or something close lol.

OT: I am Going to kill the people who pitched this show. The people that accepted it and the people who think it is a good idea and will watch it.

This is the stupidist idea that has ever come out of the Stupidly Stupid Drawer Of Stupid Ideas that I have ever heard of.

So one guy gets on the show for changing his middle name to Luthor?

That's seriously it? That makes him somehow more geek than all the other geeks?

Changing your inconsequential name most people don't even put on job applications?

So this is what my culture has become.

I guess it's time to... fuck, I can't do anything. Every niche culture has been appropriated and made cool for the masses.

Except crazy camo survivalist. I need MREs! I NEED MRES NOW!

Fuck This. Jesus christ can't they just leave things alone. We reside on the internet. It's basically our medium leave TV for the rest of humanity. Except people who listen to talk radio stations. Thats a good medium.

this makes my eye shed a tear of humiliation.

Chuck Norris & Madmax will avenge this!

Therumancer:

I have to agree with you. If they are going to follow actual geeks around than they are going to have to look a lot more and not settle for someone who knows a lot about star wars.

laryri:
I'm cringing already.

Me too...this can only end horribly, horribly badly

Calling this a show about "geeks"?
Good Lord.
This is going to suck hard.

Unlike Revenge Of The Nerds, which kicked ass.

A little in me has died after reading this. I think I'll cry myself asleep tonight.

Again.

Oh what..This is all NBC has?

This make me angry...very angry

You know, I remember they had this horrible show on called Beauty and the Geek a few years back. I caught a few episodes and was far from "uplifted." Is that still on?

Fortunately, the government killed my TV some time after that. To protect me from this sort of entertainment no doubt. (The TV still works as a game system and DVD player monitor, as God intended. It just can't read digital signals, even with my government signal reader box.)

KeyMaster45:

My thoughts exactly.

I also feel like I'm the only person in the world who feels this way about Big Bang Theory. Granted, I haven't watched much of it - I find it horrendously unfunny - but it seems to me that the writers of the show have nothing but contempt for nerds everywhere, or at the very best, a very loose understanding of what nerds are like. You'd think a show with nerds as the protagonists would show them in an honest light, but those characters felt like nothing more than the worst kind of caricatures.

This "reality show" will be no different.

1. Geeks form a minority.
2. Networks aim to make money.
3. More money can be made by appealing to the majority.
It follows that the network is actually appealing to the majority and not geeks. I'm going to make make the assumption that they are going to make geek culture interesting to the majority the way they do with everything else: by making fun of it.
Therefore, I hope this show dies in a fire... filled with dirty needles... and rabid mutant gerbils.

It should be clear that this nothing more then a way for network to line up a bunch of socially uncooth individuals and point and laugh. This, first of all, promotes social inequality and ethnocentrism (which is bad) and also personally makes me mad because geeks and nerds already get enough flak as is.

If you want a nerd sitcom I suggest trying Britan's "The IT Crowd". Hilarious. Makes me want to die.

I find myself simultaneously overwhelmed by the urges to vomit and to murder everyone involved with this abomination.

Dear Reality shows:

Die. Every damn one of you. Die.

Sincerely,
Dustin

I dont know what can be said that hasn't already been said but like the others this is just going to paint geeks in a horrible horrible light.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here