Moffat Teases New Who Season

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Moffat Teases New Who Season

Doctor Who's head honcho Steven Moffat has let a few juicy details slip about what we can expect in the new season.

Doctor Who returns to our screens this April, and it's all change in the TARDIS. New man in charge Steven Moffat talked about what we can expect the new Doctor and new companion Amy to be getting up to. There are some slight spoilers ahead, so read on at your own risk.

Not only are the angel statues from 'Blink' back, but they've been made creepier than before: "Those scary statues, I should warn you - and your children - are on their way back and they're way way worse this time," said Moffat.

"There is an episode in this series that I showed to my 10-year-old son and he said there is one scene that is the scariest thing that has ever happened in Doctor Who. There is another episode that will make you gasp, then want to press rewind so you can see it all again." Considering how creepy the weeping angels were, you'd assume their second appearance would be the benchmark Moffat is talking about, because if it's not, well, that doesn't really bear thinking about.

If you're a fan of Who romance then you'll find something to like in the new series as well, something that is unlike anything that has happened in Doctor Who before: "You take two attractive people and they will probably be a bit romantic about each other... It is a complex story between Amy and the Doctor - it is not simple. It is not a story you have ever seen between the companion and the Doctor before."

I reckon one of them turns out to be a lizard. Yes, that's right, a lizard. Just you wait, you'll see.

Source: io9

Creepier weeping angels? Sign me up!

Could be good, although I'm not at all sure about the new Doctor.

Blink was an awesome episode, it will be interesting to see how he steps it up.

Sounds good, though I don't need any more reasons to watch it, it's got the hottest companion ever in it.

I'm really hoping the new doctor will be good. I found the teaser kind of lame and the whole suspenders and bowtie just don't seem to fit this guy that well, imo. I had my doubts about Tennant in the beginning, but he grew into my heart and I shed some tears at the end, I'll give this guy a chance and hopefully he doesn't blow it.

I still don't like the new catchphrase, but Moffat has built more than enough credibility with the episodes he's written (Blink was awesome indeed, but the Girl in the Fireplace was great as well, and he did a lot of the best ones for the last doctor), so sure, geronimo all you want...

Logan Westbrook:
It is not a story you have ever seen between the companion and the Doctor before."

Seen, perhaps, though it was heavily alluded to that Rose and Sarah Jane knocked boots, as the saying goes.

And even Tom Baker(4) said that Romana and Leela were ...involved.

I reckon one of them turns out to be a lizard. Yes, that's right, a lizard. Just you wait, you'll see.

Not including Kamelion or the Sea Devils then. /Who_nerd_extra-ordinaire :)

Even so, I'm hopeful about this. Moffat has shown he can handle romance (The Girl In The Fireplace, Coupling) with dignity.
And with total ridicule (The Curse of the Fatal Death) :)

Volucer:
Sounds good, though I don't need any more reasons to watch it, it's got the hottest companion ever in it.

Oh c'mon...
or

I remember those statues and they scared the absolute living daylights out of me! I cant wait for the new series to begin airing! I want to see what this new doctor can do!

Regarding Romance. Moffat wrote River Song into The Library for a reason.

Logan Westbrook:
"You take two attractive people and they will probably be a bit romantic about each other..."

...Yeah...TWO attractive people...

Actually never mind.

I got high hopes for this guy. And his companion is hoooot, so, bonus!

As if I needed another reason to watch it! Even bad Doctor Who is 80% better than most everything else on TV. And even scarier Weeping Angels?

SCORE!

Granted I don't watch Doctor Who much, since I'm in the states and BBCA shows it whenever the hell they feel like it...

But the episodes I have seen I liked!

Scarier weeping angels? I wanna see this!

Am so glad Moffat has taken over as head creative. He wrote all the best episodes of Tennant's Doctor, without a doubt.

I'm looking forward to it very much. The latest trailer has as ever thrown up lots of questions.
HOWEVER the "romance"...not so much.

someboredguy:
As if I needed another reason to watch it! Even bad Doctor Who is 80% better than most everything else on TV. And even scarier Weeping Angels?

Are you my mummy? That kid was way more creepy!

Moffat has definitely been the best writer of the new Who (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Girl In The Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library) so looking foward to him being at the helm. However, I'm not a fan of the Doctor romances with the companion. One of the reasons Donna Nobal was probably the best companion so far is because there was no annoying romance subplot (the other reason was real character growth for once).

Also, we may see the Doctors daughter again as supposedly it was Moffat who asked for her to be kept alive.

Plinglebob:

Also, we may see the Doctors daughter again as supposedly it was Moffat who asked for her to be kept alive.

Georgina Moffat, well there was a reason for that... ;)

Still wanna see the Vashta Nerada again...well, not so much see...

The_root_of_all_evil:

Plinglebob:

Actually its Georgina Moffett, not Moffat.

The Vashta Nerada were pretty awesome but I don't know if they could be brought back and still be as good.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Plinglebob:

The Australian*? I think you're thinking of Georgia Moffett, Peter Davison's daughter.
(Edited to add: *Part Australian. Thank you Wikipedia.)

drisky:
Blink was an awesome episode, it will be interesting to see how he steps it up.

This, very much. It was the only episode that genuinely scared me of walking down the street.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I don't; since I am stuck in Scotland, it ends up like 30 Days of Night her-

Hey, who turned out the lights? *ad infinitum*

Obviously i'm not gonna cast judgement on this new guy before i see the new ep. But i really can't muster much enthusiasm for him.

Time will tell i guess.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Seen, perhaps, though it was heavily alluded to that Rose and Sarah Jane knocked boots, as the saying goes.

When was THAT alluded to? Sarah Jane is old enough to be Roses mum!

I am SO glad Moffat took over as head writer. We NEED more of his writing in this series. He's brought some of the absolute best episodes since the revival. I'm talking about "The Empty Child," "Blink," and "Silence in the Library." This is the Doctor Who I always heard about from my dad: True, cowering behind the couch, unable to sleep at night, screaming heeby-jeebies type terror. And I sure hope there'll be more. But then again, he's also great at creating humour too (see "Time Crash," for instance).

Apart from the ridiculous new catchphrase, I'm really, really looking forward to this series.

Need I say more.

That's Funny:

Need I say more.

Well you could tell me what mr mumbles the new doctor is saying, I couldn't understand half of what he said.

SomeBritishDude:

Logan Westbrook:
"You take two attractive people and they will probably be a bit romantic about each other..."

...Yeah...TWO attractive people...

i giggled

and..

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY DOCTOR WHO YAYAYAYAYAY

/nerd glee

*ahem* I hope it turns out to meet expectations

Nerf Ninja:

That's Funny:

Need I say more.

Well you could tell me what mr mumbles the new doctor is saying, I couldn't understand half of what he said.

That probably is because that the sound quality is terrible,sorry about that, still looks awesome though.

Nerf Ninja:

That's Funny:

Need I say more.

Which is why I always watch things with subtitles. Damnit, Easter can't come fast enough!

I cant conceive any way in which the weeping angels could be any more terrifying really. When I watched the episode I was about 15-16 and I freaked the hell out.

Well honestly, as a long term dr who nerd, I'm far more interested in seeing the new silurian/sea devil like cousins. As for making wheeping angels more scary(and this is from someone who was rather afraid to be alone at night after watching that episode), well what most people forget is that what made it scary is that the Doctor was nowhere to be seen.

Add him back in and that magical element that created real danger and suspence is gone, in my view anyway. Also, Moffat won't be writing all the episodes, so the potential for a stinker is still on the cards.

Darth Sea Bass:
Obviously i'm not gonna cast judgement on this new guy before i see the new ep. But i really can't muster much enthusiasm for him.

Time will tell i guess.

The BBC released a small clip of the first episode of the new series last week. Search that out and it will tell you all you need. Matt Smith seems to have pulled it off.

He looks like a bloody teenager... its like he gets younger every time... what the hell?

Really looking forward to the new assistant, even if the new seasonsbad, I'll still watch it for that factor alone

Nerf Ninja:

The_root_of_all_evil:

When was THAT alluded to? Sarah Jane is old enough to be Roses mum!

Whoops....I meant with the Doctor...Ick...no, that would be gross.

And yeah, I got the Moffat thing wrong. Must have divided by zero :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here