USB Drive Support Coming to Xbox 360

Pages PREV 1 2

Mornelithe:

300lb. Samoan:

Yea, but we're talkin' about Micro$oft here. They use every trick in the book to squeeze cash out of us XBoxers. The HDs are a horrible rip-off, I'd never buy one (and I really wish I'd got the Elite with the 120GB packed in, the money you save is rediculous - you actually get everything included at market value!) But the Memory Cards were just fuckin rediculous - $30 for 512mb of storage - what is this, 1998? Now for the same money users can get a 16GB flash drive and have much more flexibility with the system.

Yeah that's freekin retarded. $30 for that is just...mean. LoL. Ahh well, maybe this is a harbinger of a general loosening of the sphincter from MS.

Oh I doubt it... have you seen the Game Room that just opened? It's Microsoft's attempt to open a new revenue stream - by having players pay 50 cents each time they want to play a 1980's Atari game. These are really faithful ports/adaptations, but the cartridges can be had for 25 cents a piece as a church sale if you look hard enough, and the hardware isn't much worse. I think if anything they realized that no one was falling for the memory card scheme, and supposedly they are working on a 'slim' version of the console that won't support memory card slots at all.

Awww, Microsoft, did you finally give up on your proprietary storage?

For those who aren't familiar, the hard drive you strap onto the top of your XBOX 360 is an ordinary laptop hard drive which could be bought for far less than the Microsoft-branded version.

...it could be, if they didn't intentionally prevent you from doing so. The XBOX and the hard drive have to do a special handshake first, which ensures that you can only use the Microsoft-branded (and marked up) version. Some people have found ways to get ordinary off-the-shelf hard drives to perform the same handshake, but it's almost identical to modding your XBOX.

Microsoft will tell you that it does this to prevent cheating, and that may be partially true, but considering the amount of money they charge for a 120GB hard drive compared to what one normally costs, it's clear that they are profiting from this as well. They are taking commodity hardware and making it proprietary in order to create scarcity and raise prices, which is probably the most anti-competitive thing a company can do.

And as icing on the cake, years after their initial release, they start allowing the use of commodity hardware (USB drives) and they call it a feature! That's right, we've finally unlocked what should have been available all along, and we aren't even charging you for it, because that's the kind of nice people that we are.

The 16GB limit is interesting too. There are already several 64GB flash drives on the market and sizes continue to increase. You can also use USB hard drives, which can easily go into the terabytes. Why the 16GB limit? The first hard drive was 20GB and they are up to 250GB models. A flash drive works essentially the same as a hard drive -- no special file system considerations need to be made. So if there's no practical reason, why intentionally limit them to 16GB?

Oh, right, because they still sell hard drives at ridiculous prices. Why would a person buy an XBOX 250GB drive for $130 when they could buy a generic 250GB portable hard drive for $60? But with external drives limited to a total of 32GB (and a single one at 16GB, which means wasting 2 hard drives just to get 32GB), there is still no practical replacement for the overpriced 250GB hard drive.

It's awfully nice of Microsoft to go through all this trouble for us, but it would have been even better if they didn't try to screw us in the first place and if they didn't insist on continuing to do so now.

This is great news. Given that I have about ten USB drives laying around, this will be an easy way for me to keep playing with more space and without the need to upgrade my hard drive and buy a transfer cable. Thanks Microsoft!

300lb. Samoan:

Oh I doubt it... have you seen the Game Room that just opened? It's Microsoft's attempt to open a new revenue stream - by having players pay 50 cents each time they want to play a 1980's Atari game. These are really faithful ports/adaptations, but the cartridges can be had for 25 cents a piece as a church sale if you look hard enough, and the hardware isn't much worse. I think if anything they realized that no one was falling for the memory card scheme, and supposedly they are working on a 'slim' version of the console that won't support memory card slots at all.

LoL, yeah I saw that on the GfW marketplace (Game Room). Made me laugh. What a terrible idea that'd be for MS (slim, if it's setup the way you say)...why would they do that? Just to force people to buy their own memory cards? Hrm, I thought we'd settled as a community that even consoles having a HDD (even if it's small) can be a boon in the long run. Seems like an unnecessary step backwards.

Well maybe this will see some Xbox 360 modding/homebrew not unlike the Wii. Heavens knows I'd be far more willing to buy a console that will be able to support hacking/cheating in offline games. I mean, come on, I'd be much more willing to play RE5 some more if I didn't have to worry about Shiva using up all the herbs/ammo.

I hardly play anything on my cousin's Xbox besides Fable 2 because some of the games he owns are either to difficult to enjoy or I just don't have the time anymore to devote to mastering a game. ..and Fable 2 has the EXP trick anyways, so I'm having a blast.

I feel sorry for you Xbox folks... A mad console, but M$ monopolises everything about it whenever they had a chance. I can't believe they'd be so cheap as to make you use their own proprietary hard-drives...

My roommate was all excited about this until I said, "Yeah, but I've been doing that on my PS3 ever since I first got it."

My roommate~ "No memory cards?"

Myself~ "No memory cards."

With two sentences, I totally rained on her parade... I feel kinda bad, but Microsoft shouldn't have thrown that parade for her in the first place.

Shame on you Microsoft. *shakes finger sarcastically*

Well I have a 120 GB Xbox HDD, so I probably won't use this function. However, I wish to give everyone who were using a memory card or a small HDD an official congratulation along with an internet hive five.

Ummm, why you are celebrating getting 32gb of extra storage?

Do you not know that exactly the same USB slots running exactly the same firmware on the PC have been accepting 2000gb external storage for quite some time and yours could have done that from 2006 onwards too if MS hadn't taken steps specifically to make sure that you can't?

Why?

Because the Xbox 360 slim board currently in (early?) production doesn't have any old memory card connectors, just USB. That's why. Makes sense if they're trying to reduce the form factor to take away the biggest sockets on the thing.

Unfortunately I also can't see any onboard wireless, but maybe that's just not been added yet. Internal hard drive probably. CPU/GPU integration and a sane (quieter? cooler?) heatsink. HDMI still in a slightly awkward position. Early looks mind you: no idea what the case is like, and it could all change.

I wonder, will I be able to but my Mass Effect 1 data from my 360 to my PC and use it? I played Mass Effect 1 on the 360, but I got Mass Effect 2 from the PC. I really want to use my story then they pre made one that's completely different from the one they gave me on ME2.

God, the 360 is hilarious. 16 GB max? God, that's arbitrary.

Enjoy the technology that the PS3 had when it came out, and the PC had when USB drives were invented.

Good to know that MS will officially support this feature. I was just about to invest in a memory card for the 360 when I can do it a hell of a lot cheaper through a flash drive. One 512 MB memory card is $25 at gamestop, and I can get two 8 GB flash drives for that much.

GonzoGamer:

IckleMissMayhem:
'Bout bloody time!!! This'll make it much, much easier to transfer saved games etc between systems. Good news, methinks!

No kidding.
I can't believe it didn't already have this feature.
What the hell is the usb slot for?

Wired controllers, wi-fi connectors, charger cords, transfer cables, keyboards, microphones, and other things. USB flash drives works on there too, just that you couldn't put profiles or saved games on there. That's what this update's for.

Asehujiko:

Do you not know that exactly the same USB slots running exactly the same firmware on the PC have been accepting 2000gb external storage for quite some time and yours could have done that from 2006 onwards too if MS hadn't taken steps specifically to make sure that you can't?

Yeah... why wouldn't we celebrate it? We get more storage for our stuff. I don't remember Microsoft ever saying outright it was alright to use other storage options, however I do remember them saying something about banning consoles with foreign hard drives or something to that effect.

The comparison to a computer doesn't matter much, because it isn't a computer. It is an XBox 360. I suppose if people were that worried about having 2000gb of external storage, they would buy a PC.

yeah I've been using my 1TB external drive (which I keep most of my media on anyways) to plug into the xbox for watching movies and music for the past year(which is when I bought it) the cool thing is the save games though, and I'm glad I didn't go out and get that stupid memory card because I did think about it. It's good to see they're giving us something after that game room(which is a total scam, to think I was kinda looking forward to it) I hope that thing crashes and burns

Well it is about damn time they did this.

Now open up Ipod support and you will be all set

Wait... really, Even the fuking wii has been able to do this from release on usb and even sd cards. And all my ps3 videos downloaded movies and backup saves have been on my external making the hard drive 380gb from release....

How is this a feature, i would be embarrassed to announce this...

Finally. Lost a load of saves at one point because I had to swap HDD, and had a USB stick but wasn't able to use it.

Andy Chalk:
USB hard drives "may" work, according to the Major, but they'll still be limited to 16 GB of storage and won't perform nearly as well. "Since performance on flash based USB storage is usually better, I highly recommend using flash based instead of spinning media like a hard drive," he wrote. "It's just going to give you a MUCH better experience."

Why in sweet jebus does Microsoft have to make this needlessly complicated? PS3 allows backup of data to any USB data drive with ease. I mean 16GB flash sticks are PRETTY EXPENSIVE but almost everyone has an External USB hard Drive for extra files.

chronobreak:

Asehujiko:

Yeah... why wouldn't we celebrate it? We get more storage for our stuff. I don't remember Microsoft ever saying outright it was alright to use other storage options, however I do remember them saying something about banning consoles with foreign hard drives or something to that effect.

The comparison to a computer doesn't matter much, because it isn't a computer. It is an XBox 360. I suppose if people were that worried about having 2000gb of external storage, they would buy a PC.

Not just a PC, a PS3 or Wii have both always had data-backup facilities using 3rd party storage.

Again, this is not some special console thing, only Microsoft with their special console has up till now refused you any sort of external third-arty data-backup facility. And now Microsoft has imparted this ridiculous 2x 16GB limit and being cagey about support of External Hard Disks... WHY!??! Why say yes to flash but no to HDD when the data is stored on the xbox 360 USING A HARD DISK DRIVE!

chronobreak:

And why is that exactly? The whole argument against PC's and PC gaming are costs associated with it. The consoles are all, in some way shape or form, fairly robust media centers. Purchasing a 2TB external for your console versus buying a PC with 2TB of storage space, seems incredibly cheaper to me (and considering I do have a gaming rig, I know it's cheaper).

Wasn't Microsofts choice to restrict storage ability, due to FPS game hacks? Didn't Sony make it the responsibility of the developer to fix? Didn't the developer fix it on the PS3? I viewed it as a rash, knee-jerk reaction to something, and who loses out? Console owners. Certainly not MS, they're more than happy to restrict the system even further, and encourage growth of their proprietary markups.

GonzoGamer:

IckleMissMayhem:
'Bout bloody time!!! This'll make it much, much easier to transfer saved games etc between systems. Good news, methinks!

No kidding.

You know, I had the same thoughts on the old PS2 system. I remember the USB slots, 2 of them, on the front of that old dinosaur. And the only thing I ever saw done for them was a "cheat/hack software" company dev-ed a flash key to load cheats.

I wonder if this is going to be in the 360's future. I know hacking/cheating (i.e Gmeshark and ProActionReplay) is nonexistent on the original XBox and the 360.

*shifty eyes* Not that I would condone something like that.

And April 5th is my birthday...Talk about a present, amirite?

why are so many people slamming this? this is good! ffs no pleasing some people "ooooo 16 GB USB sticks cost to much bla bla bla"

1. you DON'T have to buy 16GB USB sticks, that is just the limit.

2. ok then, go and buy another HDD drive for the 360, trust me it costs alot more.

seriously people grow up and praise it! its about time this happened, yet you still the get people blasting it =S seriously no need.

Aaron Raney:

GonzoGamer:

IckleMissMayhem:

No kidding.

You know, I had the same thoughts on the old PS2 system. I remember the USB slots, 2 of them, on the front of that old dinosaur. And the only thing I ever saw done for them was a "cheat/hack software" company dev-ed a flash key to load cheats.

I wonder if this is going to be in the 360's future. I know hacking/cheating (i.e Gmeshark and ProActionReplay) is nonexistent on the original XBox and the 360.

*shifty eyes* Not that I would condone something like that.

I didn't realize that. I didn't get the ps2 until I got a slim for free.
A friend of mine still has a ps2 fat but I never noticed it's usb slots.
You could still hack it with AcRep & Sharks that plugged into the memory card slot.

Asehujiko:

yes but console gamers don't need 2000GB (although it would help...) because we don't install then play, we simply play =)

for 360 gamers it's a time to celebrate, the only reason computers need the extra space is because they do alot more, consoles don't.

im sorry im not trying to sound like a twat, but saying that we shouldn't be celebrating because PC's can do it is silly.

you may not like it, that's fine that's your opinion, but remember loads of people will like this =)

arc1991:

Asehujiko:

yes but console gamers don't need 2000GB (although it would help...) because we don't install then play, we simply play =)

for 360 gamers it's a time to celebrate, the only reason computers need the extra space is because they do alot more, consoles don't.

im sorry im not trying to sound like a twat, but saying that we shouldn't be celebrating because PC's can do it is silly.

you may not like it, that's fine that's your opinion, but remember loads of people will like this =)

You don't sound like a twat, merely someone who doesn't use their console for 'as much' as others. You may not need 2tb, but people who store mp3's and video files on their consoles, can use all the room than can get. I'm currently almost out of space on my 750g external drive ;)

Whoody-fucking-do! The PS3 has had that basic function since it's 1st release.

Mornelithe:

arc1991:

Asehujiko:

You don't sound like a twat, merely someone who doesn't use their console for 'as much' as others. You may not need 2tb, but people who store mp3's and video files on their consoles, can use all the room than can get. I'm currently almost out of space on my 750g external drive ;)

ooo trust me, i use it loads =P i just don't use media files cause i have my computer Music =P

and i suppose your right, but saying that we shouldn't be celebrating is a bit silly =P, don't ruin our party!!!!!! =P

Way to almost make something good, and totally destroy it before it launches.

Seriously, just let us use our own hard drives officially please? If you're going to do this, just ship the games on flash drives instead of disks...

arc1991:

Mornelithe:

arc1991:

Asehujiko:

ooo trust me, i use it loads =P i just don't use media files cause i have my computer Music =P

and i suppose your right, but saying that we shouldn't be celebrating is a bit silly =P, don't ruin our party!!!!!! =P

I didn't say you shouldn't celebrate, merely, it's a bittersweet victory.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here