DICE Vows Never to Charge for Battlefield Maps

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DICE Vows Never to Charge for Battlefield Maps

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 developer DICE has pledged that it will never charge money for downloadable map packs.

Downloadable map packs in games are always going to be a tricky subject, because you run the risk of splitting your player base, especially when you charge money for them. It's good news for Bad Company 2 players however, as developer DICE has promised not to charge for maps for the game.

"We don't ever want to charge for our maps and insisted to EA that this attitude was crucial when it came to keeping our community happy and playing together," said DICE senior producer Patrick Bach, adding, "We're owned by EA but we're still very much DICE."

DICE has commented that it has 'generous' amounts of DLC in store for Bad Company 2, and while it's great that DICE wants to support the Bad Company 2 community, it's hard to see this as anything other than another salvo in the war against Modern Warfare 2. Still, there's no reason for BC2 players to care, as they will continue to get free stuff regardless of the motive behind it.

Source: CVG

well this is good news. :D

Nice, this game get's more tempting by the day.

Good news, probably a lie, but still it's the thought that counts.

unless you bought the game used, then you need to play for the code thing.

but honestly, Bad Company had its chance to bring something different, instead it used it all up with 'loooooool we iz better than Call of Duty, see? we has witty remarks about that game!', and sadly a lot of BC2 fans have this way of thought, at least I've seen.

have your free maps, I am fully enjoying my stimulus map pack, save for Crash, I always hated that damn map.

I would argue this is a reason to care, it hopefully moves players away from MW2 towards BC2. They may not get the additional money from DLCs but hopefully they will make up for that in increased sales, and future considerations. MW3 or BF:BC3? some gamers might pick the game that gives away free stuff to its community rather then messes around with match making services.

Finally someone with a brain in charge. Although things like Fable II have handled this well. It would allow you to play along online without owning the content with a special download.

Either way, kudos to DICE to killing two birds with one stone.

Ahhhh. How Cute. Those lies of theirs are so pathetic it's almost cute./obvious sarcasm
But if they don't. Well, good for sticking to their principles.

Good job, we'll hold you to it DICE, but you continue to impress me. Way to try your customer base with respect, rather then seeing them as walking wallets.

Good news, good news. Now follow up with a statement that they will add AI co-op mode (as was in all previous PC BF games) into Bad Company 2 and I would actually pay for this game.

hmmm... more and more temptation to get BC2... especially with the new desert harbour maps, those desert maps were my favourite in BC 1!

Darth Caelum:
Ahhhh. How Cute. Those lies of theirs are so pathetic it's almost cute./obvious sarcasm

Project Ten Dollar and the current free content thats coming out from Bioware for ME2 begs to differ Activision fanboy.

EA are all about the free DLC if you bought the game new.

Hehe...a nice little dig at IW.

Well, thats good. Means we cna get more for our money, without spending in our pockets!

Spaceman_Spiff:

Well the first 2 map packs are out for it already and have been free

Hmm well that seals it going to have to buy this game. Was kind of on the fence about buying it but. Developers like that need to be supported.

MUST. GET. BAD COMPANY 2.

This is one of the few competitive multiplayer games that I truly enjoy. If anyone would like to donate to the "Tellmeimaninja wants things fund", that would be greatly appreciated.

Well that sounds perfectly reasonable, hopefully EA won't jump in and cock it all up again.

Calumon: More money for Guilmon Bread! ^^

Yay! I hate DLC that costs money. Goddamn M$.

Darth Caelum:

Spaceman_Spiff:

BFBC1 didn't charge for its DLC. Why should they start now?

How about letting other profiles on the same xbox as the one who put the code in for the first map pack access that map pack?

I didn't really like the game, but that sort of stuff annoys consumers who expect that to happen like it does in other games.

I love this whole thing BC have going on. Good ole BC 2 you have won over yet another fan. I liked BF 2. I might just put this game on my list of games to buy.

The Mapathy Stimulus Package is the worst pricing I've ever seen. $15 for 5 maps? 3 of which are new to veteran MW gamers? This is problematic since only hardcore gamers are the only one to download this stuff (casual gamers won't even think about it when they have some perfectly good maps to play with), and even they will see Activision's price as way too high. Hell the GTA IV DLCs were $20 each but you got 12 hours of unique single-player gameplay with some more bonuses for multi-player matches. I wouldn't mind paying for maps, but this is ridiculous. At least DICE has convinced EA not to go down that stupid route (probably they thought they could use another jab on MW2)

Geo Da Sponge:
Nice, this game get's more tempting by the day.

You should have gotten it when it was on sale for 20 bucks. I had a topic for it and everything. :\

qbanknight:
The Mapathy Stimulus Package is the worst pricing I've ever seen. $15 for 5 maps? 3 of which are new to veteran MW gamers? This is problematic since only hardcore gamers are the only one to download this stuff (casual gamers won't even think about it when they have some perfectly good maps to play with), and even they will see Activision's price as way too high. Hell the GTA IV DLCs were $20 each but you got 12 hours of unique single-player gameplay with some more bonuses for multi-player matches. I wouldn't mind paying for maps, but this is ridiculous. At least DICE has convinced EA not to go down that stupid route (probably they thought they could use another jab on MW2)

That's my exactly problem, these 3 NEW maps are extremely expensive, hell I've bought games for 20 bucks new that are hours long rather than 20 minutes. Though it's rumored that PC gamers are going to get the maps for free much like WaW got their map packs for free (they were sponsored or something). If that's the case than neato, but 20 bucks? They can go shove it up their asses. Too much for maps.

I may now have to buy Battlefield. I've only tinkered with it, never fully got in.

for the record. Dice has never charged for maps, the only time dice would charge is for expansion packs which inlcluded a lot more than maps. The northern strike EP for BF2142 introduced new skins, a hell load of new terrain (even if it just makes everything snowy) new vehicles, ontop of new maps with multiple game modes.

So for those of you who are thinkin gof getting this game, or for those who think its just another stab at MW2. Get it, and it aint another stab at them, its how they've always been. DICE PWNS!!!

and theres nothing funnier than playing the campaign and watching make fun of MW2 :D

i have died of happiness that there is now a company that thinks of the customers and not the money :O even if it is to rub it into MW2's face im loving it :D

Jaredin:
Hehe...a nice little dig at IW.

Well, thats good. Means we cna get more for our money, without spending in our pockets!

More of a slap in the face for IW, since it was Activision's idea to charge so much for the "Stimulus Package". IW actually wanted to give it for a much cheaper price (no real clue on how much it would have been, but I'd assume the average $5ish like other packs). So in the end it feels like kicking a downed man. IW has just been completely screwed by Activision and it doesn't seem like it will let up anytime soon.

We'll see. They might want to, but we'll see how EA, Sony and MS feels about it :P

So then what the hell did I get for being a VIP that i got with the limited edition.

Well that's nice.
It's a shame the game is terrible.
At least, I think it's just terrible.

Lag issues, terrible hit-detection, spastic accuracy on weapons, only 4 person chat, getting caught up on the smallest things in the environment (How did I just stop dead? Oh. There is a small rock right there. Of course.). For me, this game is just so very...not fun. At all.

But hey, people seem to enjoy it, and free DLC will please those people I'm sure.
So...yay?

Once more, this is why I never ever will touch activisions generic shooters. I praise IW's as a studio, but they are bullocks when it comes to their game, MW2. I find it generic and really nothing stunning at all. Activision is the most greediest corperation alive.

However, I never regretted keeping to the Battlefield franchise and DICE once more, no matter what the motive, have proven themselves to be intelligent. The stimulus mappack costs the quarter of the frickin' game, outragous and anyone who buys that clearly supports this kind of DLC practice.

This is good news and I hope EA's recent course with BioWare and DICE will make them more favorable.

That's really good to hear. DAMN I HATED SINGLE PLAYER SO THEY BETTER NOT CHARGE!!

What can I say? DICE = Swedish. Sweden = Awesome!

huzza, thats really the only thing missing, more maps

Hmmmmmmm maybe i ought to do more than just rent this game

Baby Tea:
Well that's nice.
It's a shame the game is terrible.
At least, I think it's just terrible.

Lag issues, terrible hit-detection, spastic accuracy on weapons, only 4 person chat, getting caught up on the smallest things in the environment (How did I just stop dead? Oh. There is a small rock right there. Of course.). For me, this game is just so very...not fun. At all.

But hey, people seem to enjoy it, and free DLC will please those people I'm sure.
So...yay?

4 person chat? K is for team chat and L is for squad chat. And about accuracy you have to fire in short bursts.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here