Dark Side of the Moon Played on a NES

Dark Side of the Moon Played on a NES

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon has been given the eight bit treatment, rendering it into a NES masterpiece.

Despite all we know about science and the way things work, there are still many questions we are yet to answer: Where did we come from, why are we here, and, possibly most importantly, what would Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon sound like if it had been played on a NES?

Fortunately, that last question has finally been answered, as game developer Brad Smith has remade one of the greatest rock albums of all time using only the NES's audio hardware. The above video is just one of six, and the rest can be found here.

Source: The Daily What

Epic video is epic.

Giving it a listen. Time is pretty awesome. Very good job on the guy who made it.

Holy shit. Awesome.

Brain Damage is spot on. Sadly the transition to Eclipse is off haha. Nice effort.

That was fucking excellent. Top work good sir! Where ever you are.

Mmmmmm...that could be my new themetune.

Just needs an 8 bit Wizard of Oz and then we're set.

That was not easy on the ears. Also, is there a difference between general MIDIs and 8-bit? I've heard some really well done MIDIs of classic rock that blow this away.

PayJ567:
That was fucking excellent. Top work good sir! Where ever you are.

Agreed! I loved it! Classic on Classic action!

I was expecting that song from Mulan to play. I leave disappointed.

Wolfram01:
That was not easy on the ears. Also, is there a difference between general MIDIs and 8-bit? I've heard some really well done MIDIs of classic rock that blow this away.

Huge difference. Most 8 bits have only 3 or 4 channels. Try some SIDs(8 bit C64) out, then upgrade to OGGs(Amiga 16 bit).

This is it done in 8bit rather than with NES software.

This is great stuff. Its funny becuase I just downloaded a ton of chiptune music last night. If anybody wants to know where to find more of this stuff, PM me.

Douk:

The words "Dark Side of the Moon" are in this song. Toward the end.

Never liked PF, never owned an NES. Not interested...Good job, though.

Ah excellent find!

Douk:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

I get it, it is in the chorus of the Mulan song, yeah? I guess that makes sense.

Did I just pull a sour patch kids commercial? I'm going with that theory, otherwise I'm bi-polar or something...

OT: That's pretty awesome. When is the LP coming out?

Oh god...
life is worth living

I haven't really had much experience with 8-bit games myself, but some of the sound effects from about 5:45 reminded me of the music in Yahtzee Chzo Mythos (Trilby) series. Anyways, currently downloading the whole 8-bit album. Looking forward to hearing the rest!

Off topic: Whoever is responsible for Youtube's new page layout needs to be punched in the face with a flaming bucket of dicks.

I'm listening to Brain Damage / Eclipse now. I think my soul just exploded from an overdose of retroawesomeTM.

"Retroawesome" is copyright The Rogue Wolf Enterprises, 2010. All rights reserved.

Commander Breetai:
Off topic: Whoever is responsible for Youtube's new page layout needs to be punched in the face with a flaming bucket of dicks.

I think the planned next redesign involves stabbing viewers in the eyes with those flaming dicks, really. They just can't leave well enough alone.

dagens24:
Epic video is epic.

No, godly video is godly.

The Rogue Wolf:
I'm listening to Brain Damage / Eclipse now. I think my soul just exploded from an overdose of retroawesomeTM.

"Retroawesome" is copyright The Rogue Wolf Enterprises, 2010. All rights reserved.

Commander Breetai:

I think the planned next redesign involves stabbing viewers in the eyes with those flaming dicks, really. They just can't leave well enough alone.

Huh? Is Youtube working for any of you guys? I just tried to open it, and it won't work. I think the servers are down.

And The Great Gig in the Sky done as a chiptune is pure awesomeness.

EDIT: Whoops. Never mind. Whatever was wrong seems to be fixed now.

Also, I hope this guy does Wish You Were Here next. I'd love to hear Have a Cigar done as a Chiptune.

oh This is so awesome. Now they just need to do some 8-bit Hendrix, King Crimson, oooh and maybe Primus and Opeth as well. heh.

I don't mean to offend the OP here, honestly I just wonder why this is news? There's more Mario Paint, NES, Demake, Dos, Windows sound renditions of songs than there are of actual reals songs. I mean Michael Jacksons Moonwalker is probably the first official group of songs made officially by a official developer...which is official :|

Onyx Oblivion:

Douk:

Damn it! I just got that song out of my head!

Well this version

I've been singing it at work all day.

OT: This is just perfect. If only this was made back in the days when Mobile Ringtones sounded like they where coming out of a C64.

It amuses me that I mention this article to some chip artists, and they're like, "Yeah, I know that guy." Still, Chiptune isn't just a fun little thing for covers; people should try listening to it as a unique genre.
I have plenty of good linkage!

Listened to the first couple of minutes of the posted video...already downloading the full album. This is great! AI already have the original loaded up on my Zune, this 8-bit version is going on there now, too. Would love to hear 8-bit covers of "Wish You Were Here" or even "The Wall"!

Great find, thanks!

My favorite album of all time has been converted to retro 8-bit music? THAT IS UNSPEAKABLY AWESOME.

I must find whoever is responsible for this and give them a hug. I hope this sets off a trend of making other albums into this format. Something like Moving Pictures would be interesting.

I'm sorry to say this, but as a Pink Floyd fanboy, Dark Side of the Moon being my most favorite album ever, this is nothing short of a massacre of the original. I mean it sounds like shit, and its not even that accurate of a rendition.

Now, I like the 8-bit genre of music, but it needs to leave classics the fuck alone.

Despite not being a fan of Pink Floyd, this is pretty cool. I've been diggin' chiptune stuff a lot lately.

This is not incredible.

At all.

This has been done so many times, to so many things, it's just boring now.

This contains vast amount of win.

Awesome. Just awesome. This ranks up there with Luther Wright and The Wrongs complete cover of The Wall called Rebuild The Wall. Oh, it's all Bluegrass, by the way.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here