Red Faction Movie on the Way

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Red Faction is set to get the movie treatment as part of THQ's new strategy to develop "the most robust trans-media plays anybody's ever seen in the games business."

The videogame movie business hasn't exactly been a big winner for anyone, but that's not discouraging THQ from taking its shot. THQ Vice President Danny Bilson sounded particularly enthusiastic when he spoke with CVG last week about "some really interesting stuff" coming in the near future for Red Faction, including a trip to the big screen.

"What you're going to see from us in how we're going to see original IP is going to be different. We're going to be doing the most robust trans-media plays anybody's ever seen in the games business," he said. "Other companies are, 'Oh, we just license this IP to this studio' and you never see anything, or at the most you see some bad Mario Bros. movie. Nobody has ever made it work."

"My game is going to get made either way but what I do is I'm giving these movie guys the opportunity to meet me two or three years at the end with a triple-A, awesome game and a triple-A, awesome movie that compliment each other - and certainly don't repeat each other - and start to build a world and a fiction and all of that," he continued. "You're going to see some announcements from us soon that are very robust in that area and it's nothing like you've seen before."

I might be a bit unclear as to what exactly "trans-media" means but if it means what I think it means, Bilson's excitement strikes me as a bit unexpected: In June 2009, he revealed that THQ was giving up on core game development for the Nintendo Wii because, he said, "We're a little risk averse." One of the THQ releases that prompted that aversion? Deadly Creatures, the scorpion-and-spider game starring the voices of Hollywood actors Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton.

Red Faction 4 is currently in development and is expected to be released later this year.

Hey, Andy, April Fool's Day is over. Just wanted to let you know.

Because this is, indeed, an April Fool's joke. Right?

Well apparently this is no joke - a movie will suck, I think.

I must say, though, Red Faction:Guerilla was fucking awesome.

Oh, feth yeah, I loved the games!
Another game, and a movie?
Damn, I must be in heaven after I got unbanned.
Except this can't be some kind of heaven, because there are still problems >.>

I liked this idea better when it was called Total Recall.

Eh, add to the list of movies i wont watch.

RebelRising:
Hey, Andy, April Fool's Day is over. Just wanted to let you know.

Because this is, indeed, an April Fool's joke. Right?

SnipErlite:
Well apparently this is no joke - a movie will fail.

I must say, though, REd Faction:Guerilla was fucking awesome.

Please, Red Faction is nothing more than a slightly different game version of Total Recall, and that still made money.

I've always loved Red Faction but I do think that judging by past movie-game crossovers, this movie will suck. I really hope it doesn't but it probably will. If this studio is going to make any crossovers, they should just do Saints Row 2. Now that would be awesome.

EDIT:

Anoctris:

Please, Red Faction is nothing more than a slightly different game version of Total Recall, and that still made money.

Umm... Have you actually seen Total Recall? Or played Red Faction? Because Red Faction is not about a guy who was a secret agent on Mars and has his memory wiped and then gets false memories input about him being a secret agent on Mars. It's about a pseudo communist uprising on Mars.. Oh wait... They're both on Mars and therefore they are the same... Of course.

Greyfox105:
Oh, feth yeah, I loved the game >.>

Feth??
A Gaunts Ghost reader......or am I talking complete nonsense??

The question is, are they going to base it on Red Faction or on Red Faction Geurilla?

Red Faction isn't exactly the most well known of video game series so I can't see it doing as well as say, a Halo movie.

so liek will it has geo mod 2.0?

He seems awfully optimistic, so write me off as excited.

Whats with Video Games getting movies all of a sudden?

"Lets revive the Resident Evil movies!"
"Lets make a Shadow of Colossus movie!"
"Lets kill hope of a metal gear movie!"

Calumon: I was in a movie, twice! ^^

Blizzarded Soul:
-snippy-
Feth??

Yeah, I have a shelf over-flowing with W40K books.
So many that Titanicus keeps trying to jump to its death...

Anoctris:

SnipErlite:

If it's slightly different then why would it succeed when people can just go watch Total Recall again. The only thing that'd make me like it is if it had as much sexy destruction as the game.

bickering aside I would like to see Sam Worthington as Alec (if it is in the Guerilla timeline) as he looks almost exactly like him in terminator salvation and he definitely has the acting chops required, what do you guys think? Ideal casting lists?

Alec - Sam Worthington
Hugo Davies - James Morrison
Sam - Tricia Helfer
etc

Andy Chalk:

Red Faction is set to get the movie treatment as part of THQ's new strategy to develop "the most robust trans-media plays anybody's ever seen in the games business."

The videogame movie business hasn't exactly been a big winner for anyone, but that's not discouraging THQ from taking its shot. THQ Vice President Danny Bilson sounded particularly enthusiastic when he spoke with CVG last week about "some really interesting stuff" coming in the near future for Red Faction, including a trip to the big screen.

"What you're going to see from us in how we're going to see original IP is going to be different. We're going to be doing the most robust trans-media plays anybody's ever seen in the games business," he said. "Other companies are, 'Oh, we just license this IP to this studio' and you never see anything, or at the most you see some bad Mario Bros. movie. Nobody has ever made it work."

"My game is going to get made either way but what I do is I'm giving these movie guys the opportunity to meet me two or three years at the end with a triple-A, awesome game and a triple-A, awesome movie that compliment each other - and certainly don't repeat each other - and start to build a world and a fiction and all of that," he continued. "You're going to see some announcements from us soon that are very robust in that area and it's nothing like you've seen before."

I might be a bit unclear as to what exactly "trans-media" means but if it means what I think it means, Bilson's excitement strikes me as a bit unexpected: In June 2009, he revealed that THQ was giving up on core game development for the Nintendo Wii because, he said, "We're a little risk averse." One of the THQ releases that prompted that aversion? Deadly Creatures, the scorpion-and-spider game starring the voices of Hollywood actors Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton.

Red Faction 4 is currently in development and is expected to be released later this year.

So their remaking Total Recall ?

Greyfox105:

Blizzarded Soul:
-snippy-
Feth??

Yeah, I have a shelf over-flowing with W40K books.
So many that Titanicus keeps trying to jump to its death...

Fair Play, mines like that with an over-abundance of Michael Crichton books.

Catkid906:

Calumon: I was in a movie, twice! ^^

Shame you didn't get the Oscar...

Anyway, its gonna suck. REALLY, really suck.

I forsee big destruction scenes, shallow plot and bad acting...Hey! Just like the games!!

I expect it to be bad...unfortunatly...

making this announcement next to the ostrich hammer does not help make this any more plausible

Chech:
I've always loved Red Faction but I do think that judging by past movie-game crossovers, this movie will suck. I really hope it doesn't but it probably will. If this studio is going to make any crossovers, they should just do Saints Row 2. Now that would be awesome.

EDIT:

Anoctris:

Umm... Have you actually seen Total Recall? Or played Red Faction? Because Red Faction is not about a guy who was a secret agent on Mars and has his memory wiped and then gets false memories input about him being a secret agent on Mars. It's about a pseudo communist uprising on Mars.. Oh wait... They're both on Mars and therefore they are the same... Of course.

Maybe I should have said significantly different, and yet there is still:
- An evil corporation
- that drives it workers to rebel
- which result in lots of shooty-good-times
- Mars gets a breathable atmosphere

Also, what version of Total Recall did you watch? The implanted false memories were those of his life as a construction worker on Earth and his marriage to Sharon Stone.

I knew it! when there's tons of explosives to blow off, hollywood is all wet...

SnipErlite:

Anoctris:

SnipErlite:

If it's slightly different then why would it succeed when people can just go watch Total Recall again. The only thing that'd make me like it is if it had as much sexy destruction as the game.

That's true. Now I want to watch it again, another film missing from collection.

RF as film could work. I'll watch anything remotely Sci-Fi, they just gotta get the basics right.

-Good writers
-Good screenplay
-Good actors
-Good director

You can fail 1 or 2 of those and still get something decent, any more and it's a cluster.

Great...just what we need. Does Hollywood have any respect for us gamers? You cannot make a truly good non-interactive movie based on an interactive property. I believe that the Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark, and House of the Dead movies more than readily proved that because they all sucked more than anyone could possibly imagine, especially the latter movie. Movie Bob did a very fine job of explaining this to us all. Why do Hollywood exectuives think that they can use our medium against us and try to take our money with piece of shit movies based on video games that we love? We deserve better than that! Also, even if this may be some kind of a hoax, I don't care because I really needed to get my opinion on this stuff out of the way.

Anoctris:

Chech:
snip

- An evil corporation

Also, what version of Total Recall did you watch? The implanted false memories were those of his life as a construction worker on Earth and his marriage to Sharon Stone.

Yes - he gets those memories implanted and then when he gets bored of his life, he goes and gets some more interesting memories implanted. Those more interesting memories were of him going on holiday to Mars or being a secret agent there(it's been a while since I watched it). Anyway, those memories re-awaken his old ones and then shit goes down. The basic story is so far removed from that of Red Faction it's laughable. Think about all of the other games, movies, books and musicals about Mars. You might as well say that Red Faction is a rip-off of War of the Worlds.

Anoctris:

SnipErlite:

Anoctris:

That's true. Now I want to watch it again, another film missing from collection.

RF as film could work. I'll watch anything remotely Sci-Fi, they just gotta get the basics right.

-Good writers
-Good screenplay
-Good actors
-Good director

You can fail 1 or 2 of those and still get something decent, any more and it's a cluster.

Well there's always the internet. But yeah I might have to go watch it tooNot for that 3-breasted woman, honest

Well yeah it COULD work, but it is a videogames-to-movie adaptation. They don't have a very good reputation for being good.

We'll see.

Chech:

Anoctris:

Chech:
snip

- An evil corporation

The basic story is so far removed from that of Red Faction it's laughable. Think about all of the other games, movies, books and musicals about Mars. You might as well say that Red Faction is a rip-off of War of the Worlds.

But I wouldn't, because plot elements used in the Red Faction series aren't in War of the Worlds.

But don't take my word for it - here's an unrealiable source:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/redfaction3/interview.html

Strategy Informer: Cinematically, your closest reference point is probably Total Recall, with its own Martian uprising, the mines, mining tools and so on.

In closing

Fox242:
Great...just what we need. Does Hollywood have any respect for us gamers? You cannot make a truly good non-interactive movie based on an interactive property. I believe that the Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark, and House of the Dead movies more than readily proved that because they all sucked more than anyone could possibly imagine, especially the latter movie. Movie Bob did a very fine job of explaining this to us all. Why do Hollywood exectuives think that they can use our medium against us and try to take our money with piece of shit movies based on video games that we love? We deserve better than that! Also, even if this may be some kind of a hoax, I don't care because I really needed to get my opinion on this stuff out of the way.

I disagree. I believe good video-game > film adaption can be made, it's just extremely difficult to do, much like novel > film. This is why Warcraft and Halo have not yet been made into a full feature, both Bungie and Blizzard are hopefully doing their utmost to make sure these films (if being made at all) are faithful to their source. Imagine the millions of fans nitpicking those films to death!

Resident Evil failed imo because Paul W.S. Anderson tried (as he did with AvP) to squish multiple game plots, characters and source material into the one feature. As soon as you start doing this you going to alienate fans.

Alone in the Dark/House of the Dead, well that's Ewe Boll, what did you expect? I haven't played BloodRayne or Far Cry, but I know enough about Ewe Boll's artistic merit to know that he probably screwed whatever these game plots had going for them.

Now take the most recent AvP game - that was a game developer (who's previous titles had done genre proud) jumping onto the coattails of 2 poorly scripted films and trying to tie it all together.

They'll just have to have Joss Whedon direct it and cast the actors from Serenity and everyone will have nerdgasms all over it.

Anoctris:

Chech:

EDIT:

Anoctris:

- An evil corporation

If they're making a RF movie it'll be around RF1, where mars had no breathable atmosphere.
Also, RF1 does have a plague and a mad scientist, along with some mercenaries called to "cover up" the miner uprising.

Anyway, if they can make an RF movie work, it could be good, the concept is solid.

I'd rather have a modern remake of Red Faction (the original).

the movie is going to suck because every movie base on a game sucks

dekkarax:

Anoctris:

Chech:

EDIT:

Anoctris:

- An evil corporation

If they're making a RF movie it'll be around RF1, where mars had no breathable atmosphere.
Also, RF1 does have a plague and a mad scientist, along with some mercenaries called to "cover up" the miner uprising.

Anyway, if they can make an RF movie work, it could be good, the concept is solid.

That's right, if they get the basics (script/actors/director) right it should at least be profitable, even as a stand alone item.

From what it reads like to me it seems they're going for a 'Enter the Matrix/Reloaded' type deal, or something similar to the 2003 Clone Wars animations that came before Episode III.

And lol, I forgot all about the plague from RF1.

They should make it based on Red Faction 2 and end it where you steal Sopot's Hat because that was the highlight of the game. Not enough hat theft in games.

Oh boy a Total Recall remake without the depth. What fun!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here