iPad Jailbroken in a Day

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

iPad Jailbroken in a Day

Just a day after its release, the iPad has been jailbroken.

The iPad has been jailbroken, and while it was inevitable that it was going to happen, but getting jailbroken after just one day on the market is still pretty amazing. The super-speedy break was performed by a well-known member of the 'iPhone Dev-Team' known as 'MuscleNerd', and is apparently a variation on the jailbreak used on the most recent iPhone OS.

For anyone hoping to do the same thing on their new toy might have to wait a little longer, because it took a fair amount of tinkering to get the hack to work, and a more user-friendly, automated version isn't available just yet, although chances are it won't be long before you can run any app you like on it.

Source: Gizmodo

What does Jailbroken mean?

shirin238:

Its a synonym of hacking. It means they broke into them.

And only after a day. Hehehe...thats pretty funny. I quite like this. I'm sure that Apple is kinda pissed since they were probably hoping for a longer run.

shirin238:

Basically let you run homebrew apps, cracked apps, just any app that isn't legit.

Hahaha, nice job, guys.

Lol, you can imagine the faces on Apple. "Heheheh, nobody is going to hack this bab....... WTF hacked in a day?"

They should do what Sony did with the Homebrew community.

Wow, I hope they catch those guys. I hate this kind of BS.
Edit: I don't like hackers. They're the type that pirate stuff and make viruses. Yes, they can make some good things, but for the most part it's probably going to be illegal reasons for cracking the code.

That's great, but if you're stupid enough to buy an iPad, you deserve every last bit of brandlocking Apple tries to force on you.

oppp7:

What BS--letting people run applications without having to ask Steve Jobs for permission? Yeah, that's really heinous.

I like how people have to jailbreak these things to get the functionality they want.

oppp7:

You hate being able to choose a service of your choice rather than being forced into whomever gives Apple the most money?

Not that surprising considering how similar the iPad OS is to the iPod and iPhone. Still, only needing 1 day isn't exactly a gloating point for their programmers (Apple's I mean.)

JEBWrench:

oppp7:

You hate being able to choose a service of your choice rather than being forced into whomever gives Apple the most money?

Evidently so. I'm guessing he's been an Applecore all his life.

oppp7:

Yeah, I really hate it when companies who can't even be bothered to pay their foreign workers minimum wage get fucked over, too. Such bullshit.

HA!

Calumon: Should I call the Police?

yourbeliefs:
Not that surprising considering how similar the iPad OS is to the iPod and iPhone. Still, only needing 1 day isn't exactly a gloating point for their programmers (Apple's I mean.)

or they didn't care about it since they knew it was going to happen much sooner than later

well i doubt theyd admit that :D

lol this is awesome 1 day, hopefully its a blow to apples ego

Haha, yeah! Stick it to those Apple fuckers. I for one won't be buying one-or anything with their name or influence.

OT: 4.8 Million Dollar fine for industrial espionage for anyone who gets caught with a copyrighted/licensed hack job.

oppp7:
Edit: I don't like hackers. They're the type that pirate stuff and make viruses. Yes, they can make some good things, but for the most part it's probably going to be illegal reasons for cracking the code.

Thats a lovely generalization and assumption.

TheComedown:
lol this is awesome 1 day, hopefully its a blow to apples ego

I think they'd be in favour of it.

"So, we get AT&T's money, and now we get money from people who AREN'T on AT&T too! It's win-freakin'-win."

It just means it won't be as long before they sell their own jailbroken iPad. Just like with the iPhone.

Camembert:

oppp7:

Yeah, I really hate it when companies who can't even be bothered to pay their foreign workers minimum wage get fucked over, too. Such bullshit.

Do you have an iPod/Phone/Toaster? If so, you just supported them.

Adrimor:
That's great, but if you're stupid enough to buy an iPad, you deserve every last bit of brandlocking Apple tries to force on you.

oppp7:

What BS--letting people run applications without having to ask Steve Jobs for permission? Yeah, that's really heinous.

JEBWrench:

oppp7:

Going by the explaination of jailbreak from the above posters. Explained my reasons in the edit. I probably don't know enough about Apple to get a good idea of the whole situation, but overall I normally see hackers as another term for pirates.

shirin238:

It means everything the product should be able to do, but can't because of intentional software based lockouts, it can do again.

Most people just jailbreak it to pirate all the $5-$15 flash game ports made for it. Other people jailbreak so they won't be absolutely required to deal with itunes' bullshit.

Adrimor:

JEBWrench:

oppp7:

What's an Applecore?

oppp7:

No I don't have any of those things, and since I found out they are a companies of fuckers I have been boycotting them extra vigilantly (in fact, if I see someone with an IPhone I immediately think they are a dick, but that's for quite different reasons. Can't expect everyone else to have principles, eh...?) My partner owns a Mac computer but there is sadly little I can do about that.

And do Apple really make toasters or was that sarcasm?

Camembert:

oppp7:

No I don't have any of those things, and since I found out they are a companies of fuckers I have been boycotting them extra vigilantly (in fact, if I see someone with an IPhone I immediately think they are a dick, but that's for quite different reasons. Can't expect everyone else to have principles, eh...?) My partner owns a Mac computer but there is sadly little I can do about that.

And do Apple really make toasters or was that sarcasm?

Sarcasm. I don't have any iPod stuff either.

Quick work.

oppp7:

Going by the explaination of jailbreak from the above posters. Explained my reasons in the edit. I probably don't know enough about Apple to get a good idea of the whole situation, but overall I normally see hackers as another term for pirates.

I see the edit, when I first posted, the edit wasn't in place.

Most people I've encountered jailbreak to escape contracts with companies they don't choose.

But I've not met many jailbreakers, on account of AT&T being the only decent service in this neck of the woods anyways.

I'm glad to hear this. People should be allowed to run whatever they want on their hardware. It's a shame they have to go to such lengths to do so.

That seems about the right amount of time. Now we can all wait for the update that turns their expensive piece of equipment into a massive paperweight.

oppp7:

The two are not synonymous.

Serves them right for those crappy PC vs. Mac ads. They always go like this - "I'm a PC, I suck massive balls, and can't do...(goes on for 30 seconds, followed by the Apple logo)". Plus, that "I'm a Mac" douche is really annoying. God, I want to punch that smug bastard so much.

It must be fun to be a hacker whenever a new super-hyped gadget is released.

Adrimor:

JEBWrench:

oppp7:

Heh, "Applecore," clever.

Personally I never planned to buy one whether it was jailbroken or not. Far too expensive, and it doesn't really have any uses for me.

The iPad is a big iPhone, so I supposed a modded iPhone jailbreak method would work on this. Serves Apple right for being so lazy.

I have a touch (that I didn't buy), but all I use it for is a portable movie player when I've got zero other options... as all the games fucking suck. And mp3 player, of course.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here