Hideo Kojima Believes Consoles are Dying

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Hideo Kojima Believes Consoles are Dying

According to Hideo Kojima, the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox 720 aren't the future of how people will play videogames.

At a news conference held for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, series visionary Hideo Kojima talked about what he thinks the future of gaming will be, and how it probably won't include consoles. He thinks that cloud computing will become the norm, where the same videogame experiences can go from device to device no matter where players are.

"In the near future, we'll have games that don't depend on any platform," he said. "Gamers should be able to take the experience with them in their living rooms, on the go, when they travel -- wherever they are and whenever they want to play. It should be the same software and the same experience."

What Kojima describes is the experience that technologies like OnLive aim to bring. Theoretically, they would allow AAA videogames to be streamed to anything from a television to an iPhone and therefore free from specific console restrictions.

At the same conference, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan President Hiroshi Kawano told reporters: "It's a bold prediction. We hope he continues to develop for platforms, but we deeply respect his sense of taking on a challenge." Apparently, this was said with a nervous smile.

Kojima also said the development of Peace Walker for the PSP, coming to Japan at the end of April and other territories in June, was an experiment to find out what would work for portable gaming in the future he envisions. "I looked at this in part as an experiment aimed at the future," Kojima revealed. It sounds like he's really putting his faith in services like OnLive. With the massive popularity of current generation consoles, I don't think Kojima's prediction will come true anytime soon, but who knows right?

Source: Reuters

High names are being pessimistic as of late.

"Games are no art." - "Consoles are dying"

Still, a worthy goal if any.

Meh. I don't see it. I don't think console developers will ever push for this, even if OnLive and Gaikai (that's the other one, right?) fight them every step of the way. I also don't see cloud gaming actually becoming popular due the current Internet infrastructure in place.

Only time will tell, I s'pose.

I hope that this will never come to pass. Because from a business point of view, this will put the consumers at great harm. Let's compare it with Internet here. I mean, there's only two or three internet providers and we need to fork over tons of cash. I need to pay 42 bucks per month for 25 gigs. With no real other benefits. Same will happen to games. The less competition, the more the prices will soar.

Bad choice of picture there tom. Doesnt really portray him as a serious game developer hahaha

Onlive system is ridiculous. I refuse to have to pay a subscription to play games I already bought. Even if console gaming dies hopefully PC gaming wont. And if doesnt well. Ill just stick to photography

With the massive popularity of current generation consoles, I don't think Kojima's prediction will come true anytime soon, but who knows right?

Pretty much my opinion on the matter. It sounds crazy, but hey, I'm no expert.

Does this I can expect more MGS on the PSP.... Sweet!

Hhhmmm...Hideo...I think maybe I like to own my games, and not pay a sub...

I predict smaller consoles (nearly portable ones that can be easily transported in a backpack or something) with a HUGE hard-drive!!!! Even the 250GB PS3 / 360 is too small for proper downloadable purchasing. 1 to 5 TB at the mo, but rising exponentially as games get bigger.

Eventually they'll die off, but probably not until the entire world is incredibly wired up and EVERYTHING interacts with each other and all things are compatible.

I think it may be possible sometime in the future, but it would be a while. And it would depend on the services offered. There are too many factors to say when it could happen, but I do see it as a possibility somewhere down the line.

Though to be honest, I love the Metal Gear Solid series, but I've started to disagree with Kojima on a lot of things. He said that video games are not art, he apparently really likes Twilight, and now he's saying consoles are on their way out? I like his games, but I'm not really seeing eye-to-eye with him at this point...

He's in favour of services like Onlive that are internet based streams?

Damn... Kojima's lost a lot of my respect. T_T

Yeah, and in the future we won't rely on fossil fuel.

It's a nice dream, but it won't happen anytime soon.

Kojima's been going steadily more and more crazy since around 2001. It's sad really.

- J

What does Kojima know? His idea of a 'video game' is a movie that is interrupted every 10 minutes by a gameplay sequence. I don't think consoles are going anywhere any time soon.

Hideo Kojima also believes you can't crawl while prone, so take that as you will.

As a person who started as a PC gamer and was able to get back into it, I still play Consoles and I think the only problem with consoles right now is that they evolved too quickly in terms of graphics to the point where we're hitting a singularity on those.

I also don't think one super console will ever originate, because of the innate differences between all the competitors.

You guys have to consider that in Japan, this doesn't seem as far-fetched a claim. The handheld gaming market is much larger than the console market.

To be fair, Hideo Kojima also believes Twilight is a good book.

It's an interesting idea at least. I doubt it'll happen, but hey who knows?

laryri:
You guys have to consider that in Japan, this doesn't seem as far-fetched a claim. The handheld gaming market is much larger than the console market.

But that's not really a new development, I always thought that handheld and mobile gaming was far more prevalent there, and that it was PC gaming that was what really wasn't very popular in Japan.

If Hideo Kojima says it so, so it must be...let cloud gaming...BEGIN!

The_root_of_all_evil:
To be fair, Hideo Kojima also believes Twilight is a good book.

he's a special guy.

and I truly hope he's wrong about this, cloud computing would suck balls, onlive isn't very good at all, and it can't even work everywhere you can play games online decently.
and I like modifying mah PC games.

I've always seen Hideo Kojima as a visionary (my avatar is the logo of his production company)but I do believe that he is wrong on this one. Consoles will continue to be the future of gaming for years to come. I look forward to the day that we can all play games the way that he says they'll be played, but that won't happen any time soon.

Don't really see it happening. Not until we break the lightspeed barrier on network communications anyway, then... well, you'll have other things to worry about.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-160112.html

Kojima's future is directing big-budget films, judging by the amount of cutscenes in MGS4. I take this statement as his letter of resignation.

There, Hideo has finally earned himself a place next to Peter Molyneux and John Romero as developers who know fuck all about gaming and gamers.

How about you bring MGS4 to Xbox360 or PC then Kojima, hmm, hmm? Then we'll speak platformless.

Cloud gaming is all good for the developers, but the fact is we like to OWN our games.

I don't want to rely on some overworked server and my crappy internet to provide every one of my games, and there's no way i'm paying subscription to access them!

Kojima needs to crawl out his own arse for a while. Some of the Metal Gear games are awesome, but he's an idiot.

I'd like cloud gaming if it were a simple rental service. Tag a few games for rental this month, pay a fee for those titles and no other costs. If that's all the industry were attempting to push I think it would be a roaring success.

Onlives proposed system is a sick joke; pay an account fee then pay rental or buying game fee on top of that.

why should I 'buy' anything that I have no control over and can be taken away at the drop of a hat (or server). And as for a monthly fee, what the f**k for? so you can store the 1 or 2 Mb or data my account makes up?

It will definitively happen at some point, but I think he's being too optmistic (or pessimistic?) about this. I doubt it'll happen before anyone on this thread is old enough to curse at these new technologies, because back when we were young we needed to hook up the videogamajig to the video card uphill both ways or it would red ring of death. Now get out of my lawn!

Vigilantis:
If Hideo Kojima says it so, so it must be...let cloud gaming...BEGIN!

What he said, consoles are glorified Digiboxes. They cant compete with a PC by definition and they arent meant to. Consoles were meant to be simplified gaming platforms sans all that troublesome user input. The proprietary nature of the console also meant a market lock on its production. Producers liked this.

We now live in a era where people can break the copy protection more easily than sneezing or pooping (depending on your age, more fibre is always good). With BS moves like Sonys the PS3 is godlike we dont want developers making games for it & you cant use that OS anymore or play retro games in Europe despite the fact that the yanks can, you can see why Hideo thinks so.

As someone else pointed out current trends are towards handhelds, mobiles & netgames. This is on a continent where the better part of the population of gamers plays free model MMO's. Why limit yourself to a console when your handheld can give you the same game (minus graphics & bear in mind my mantra, if your looking at the graphics your not playing the game) and a PC delivers more functionality.

Serves the consoleers right for not looking at the mod community and making portable consoles, OS bearing consoles and other useful features. Right now a console is a box you stick on a TV to do stuff. Most PCs are laptops, most handhelds fit in a pocket. Whats the actual benefit of owning a console again ?

Generic_Dave:
Hhhmmm...Hideo...I think maybe I like to own my games, and not pay a sub...

I predict smaller consoles (nearly portable ones that can be easily transported in a backpack or something) with a HUGE hard-drive!!!! Even the 250GB PS3 / 360 is too small for proper downloadable purchasing. 1 to 5 TB at the mo, but rising exponentially as games get bigger.

Eventually they'll die off, but probably not until the entire world is incredibly wired up and EVERYTHING interacts with each other and all things are compatible.

Well you can buy a terabyte drive for your PS3 if you want to thanks to Western Digital. Anyway make sure you won't ever have to buy one of those. That OnLive idea is horribly horribly bad for us consumers in the long run. Disgusting really :/

Hideo says games can never be art. He says consoles are dying. I generally think his opinions are unfounded and annoying.

I recall the 360 selling around 39 million units. The Wii had at least 58 million sells last time I checked. I forgot how many the PS3 had, but still-

It doesn't look like consoles are dying out very soon.

WickedSkin:
Well you can buy a terabyte drive for your PS3 if you want to thanks to Western Digital. Anyway make sure you won't ever have to buy one of those. That OnLive idea is horribly horribly bad for us consumers in the long run. Disgusting really :/

REALLY? I though the whole FAT32 thing stopped you being able to get really big HD's in the PS3? I really need one of these!

Honestly that does seem like a logic direction for software to take. I don't believe we'll really see it phase out consoles for at least another ten or twenty years though.

Consoles as we know them, maybe, but I think people will always want specilised gaming devices.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here