Kojima Defends Mountain of Peace Walker In-Game Advertisements

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kojima Defends Mountain of Peace Walker In-Game Advertisements

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker will include a large amount of in-game cross-promotion, but Hideo Kojima says this is just to keep things fresh.

At a Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker completion ceremony this week, Hideo Kojima not only detailed that he feels consoles are dying, but also a somewhat excessive amount of in-game promotion planned for the upcoming PSP game with multiple different brands of food, deodorant, and magazines. When taken to task for the product tie-ins, Kojima defended them saying they're different from what is being done in other games.

The promotions, detailed by Andriasang, involve many real world products from Japan. Mountain Dew and Pepsi cans are health recovery items in Peace Walker, and certain Metal Gear branded Mountain Dew cans from a convenience store chain will include a code that can be inputted into the game to give Snake a Mountain Dew t-shirt. Other retail chains in Japan will distribute codes for more unique shirts. Snake can also eat Doritos and apply Axe deodorant to raise his health, listen to Sony Walkmen from various eras, and many popular Japanese magazines are tied into Peace Walker as well. Metal Gear has featured real-world items such as iPods in the past, but this list is quite exhausting to say the least.

Due to a furor on Twitter, Kojima has defended the tie-ins, tweeting: "Regarding the collaborations, I have one reason for doing them. It's because I want to surprise the players. If the surprise and freshness were lost, I would stop the collaborations. It's different from Hollywood-style merchandising." Picking up Mountain Dew and wearing lime-green t-shirts to me feels different than pasting posters for products all over an in-game building, so Kojima may have somewhat of a point.

Metal Gear has always been a series marked by both very serious and very silly situations, and these in-game promotions certainly hit on the silly side. They're certainly better than equipping players with a Mountain Dew AK-47 or tasking them to take down a Metal Gear Rex painted like a giant Dorito. It is not yet known if Peace Walker will bring these in-game promotions to its releases outside of Japan.

Source: Andriasang

WTF? Fail. The only time I'm willing to stomach in-game ads is if the game is free. One ad is one too many in a game I'm paying full retail price for. Simple as that.

Hideo Kojima: Losing any and all relevance he ever had in gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2.

It doesn't surprise me. The fact that you are defending them surprises me, Mr. Kojima.

Gaming's Most Blatant Product Placement

MGS is in the list more than anyone.

If you really wanted to surprise us, Kojima, maybe you should've tried to be period-accurate.

Consoles will die if they become too expensive and reach the amount a gaming PC rig costs which is around 1000 USD. If the next generation of consoles and games prices to consumers keep increasing that doesn't take into consideration the actual cost of the game being produced and just as important and also the economic strength of the consumer(which is ripping at the seams thanks to the increase to 60 USD games and now DLC) the console market will crash and fall on its face.

I really hope those businessmen have the answers and can actually handle this problem and can get the backing of their stockholders to believe that less can be more instead of trying to emulate hollywood which is putting the video game industry into the same problem they are in right now. The businessmen don't understand the roots of the video game industry when it comes to price and cost in relation towards development. Not all games need to be a hollywood movie and have big budgets, the power has to go back to the developers and not the marketers or businessmen when it comes to publishing games.

Advertisement = suck

And advertising junk food and Axe is the height of suck. Junk food kills more people and lowers the quality of life more than cigarettes ever did. And Axe is just obnoxious and totally useless, I almost want to smell some just so I can pick the dumbasses out of the crowd.

rembrandtqeinstein:

Junk food kills more people and lowers the quality of life more than cigarettes ever did.

Since I find that really hard to believe, let me just say...

<CITATION NEEDED>

With all the advertisements, I expect to see a Hello Kitty AK.

Ridiculous. I can stomach adverts if it's stuff like billboards in racing games, but that's completely inappropriate.

Irridium:

In STALKER Super mod Pack there is a hello kitty AK in game... I have it, it's very gay.

OT: Nothing could dampen my anticipation of MGS Peace Walker.

Kojima want money, Kojima sell out.

In-Game adverts are only acceptable if it fits the style of the game.. like store-fronts in a city or moutain dew t-shirts on teenage suburban teenagers, yes.. on snake.. NO!

Also, if they're going to get money by advertizing in the game then make the damn game cheaper or give free DLC or free subscriptions.

Meh. As long as the game itself is good, then wtf. Who gives a shit

*checks date* okay.

Anyway, I can't see this getting ot the 'states. I mean, shit, we already have uproars about bad, unhealthy food, surely GAINING HEALTH from pop will have dumbasses up at arms!

AceDiamond:

rembrandtqeinstein:

Junk food kills more people and lowers the quality of life more than cigarettes ever did.

Since I find that really hard to believe, let me just say...

<CITATION NEEDED>

to help out the other user check teh obesity rates. now smoking rates. Now checkk the content of your fridge and the content of your fridge's content. At least smoking isn't in everything you eat. Have you ever looked at a vegan? NO acne! The clearest faced people dont' eat junk food. A pizza face is the greatest evidence that our food supply is complete shit.

Nurb:
In-Game adverts are only acceptable if it fits the style of the game.. like store-fronts in a city or moutain dew t-shirts on teenage suburban teenagers, yes.. on snake.. NO!

Also, if they're going to get money by advertizing in the game then make the damn game cheaper or give free DLC or free subscriptions.

I agree. The price of games should decrease to compensate for the advertising. Unfortunately, we all know that that will never happen.

It would definitely be a marketing point in getting gamers to get on board with in-game advertising. I believe it'll probably be like digital distribution. Companies stated that gamers would see a benefit of digital distribution in the form of lower game costs by taking out production and shipment costs. So far, that fact has yet to materialize.

Now all I can think about is snake snapping some soldiers neck in a mountain dew shirt.

"Enjoy its refreshing taste, IN HELL! *snaps neck*"

PayJ567:

Irridium:

In STALKER Super mod Pack there is a hello kitty AK in game... I have it, it's very gay.

OT: Nothing could dampen my anticipation of MGS Peace Walker.

That is so...wow. Although I know one person who will love it XD

Really though, advertising in games is so tacky...

Kelethor:
Now all I can think about is snake snapping some soldiers neck in a mountain dew shirt.

Now, I MUST get the Mountin Dew shirt, just so I can do that!

Damn you Kojima, bring the shirt here too! BRING THE SHIRT!

OT: Honestly, apart from the awesomeness of making product-related one-liners, I could care less. Unless it renders the game unplayable, then I would care.

So long as the advertisements arn't overwhelming, I couldn't care less what they advertized.

Not really much of a surprise. He's had advertisements in Metal Gear since Sons of Liberty. Although, maybe I'm wrong about that.

Kelethor:

Oh and I laughed out loud.

Plurralbles:

to help out the other user check teh obesity rates. now smoking rates. Now checkk the content of your fridge and the content of your fridge's content. At least smoking isn't in everything you eat. Have you ever looked at a vegan? NO acne! The clearest faced people dont' eat junk food. A pizza face is the greatest evidence that our food supply is complete shit.

Bwuh...

Sorry, are you actually arguing that junk food is worse than smoking... because it gives you acne?

As opposed to lung cancer?

Eh?

So kojima is desperately trying to get out of the video game industry.

Cool.

This is really really worrying me. This guy is trying to set himself out of my range of credible people. He already did ages ago, but THIS. I cannot stand.

Does anyone remember Bionic Commando? How many PEPSI commercials did we SEE in there? Advertising all over the place. Or was it Coca-Cola? I think it's Pepsi. My god, if you are going to advertise, lower the retail price. But I never bother with Metal Gear anyways. First ones were ultimate.

Straying Bullet:
This is really really worrying me. This guy is trying to set himself out of my range of credible people. He already did ages ago, but THIS. I cannot stand.

Does anyone remember Bionic Commando? How many PEPSI commercials did we SEE in there? Advertising all over the place. Or was it Coca-Cola? I think it's Pepsi. My god, if you are going to advertise, lower the retail price. But I never bother with Metal Gear anyways. First ones were ultimate.

Have to agree, nothing, at least in its genre, beats Metal Gear Solid. I don't know if it's the nostalgia or just the simple fact that it was a massively groundbreaking game.

Singing Gremlin:

Plurralbles:

Bwuh...

Sorry, are you actually arguing that junk food is worse than smoking... because it gives you acne?

As opposed to lung cancer?

Eh?

Actually, it was showing the affects of bad food that occurs just DAYS after having it whereas it takes a quite a few cigarettes to really notice a problem developing and years for your cancer. If I wanted to compare ultimate ways to die form it, I would say heart disease. And it lowers sperm count. And it makes hair fall out prematurely, and it can make one fat now, whereas smoking only ages someone after a few years of doing it.

If that t-shirt doesnt help him blend in with the jungle, nothing will...

You know, to play devil's advocate, I could see this trend bringing some realism to games. Instead of having vending machines with made up soda companies you could have Pepsi or Coke, you could see people wearing the tons of corporate-logo branded stuff we see out there.

But most of the 'advertising' in games that we see in games is very blatantly shoehorned with all the subtlety of a tactical nuclear strike.

Plurralbles:

Actually, it was showing the affects of bad food that occurs just DAYS after having it whereas it takes a quite a few cigarettes to really notice a problem developing and years for your cancer. If I wanted to compare ultimate ways to die form it, I would say heart disease. And it lowers sperm count. And it makes hair fall out prematurely, and it can make one fat now, whereas smoking only ages someone after a few years of doing it.

If you think smoking just ages you, you are provably wrong. It causes cancer, emphesma (or however the toss you spell that), asthma, tooth decay, ... tissue decay in the affected areas to begin with really, damages the lungs, heart, and chemical processes of the brain, contributes to a series of mental conditions not the worse of which is the addictive properties of nicotine, and the list goes on.

Caiti Voltaire:

Plurralbles:

If you think smoking just ages you, you are provably wrong. It causes cancer, emphesma (or however the toss you spell that), asthma, tooth decay, ... tissue decay in the affected areas to begin with really, damages the lungs, heart, and chemical processes of the brain, contributes to a series of mental conditions not the worse of which is the addictive properties of nicotine, and the list goes on.

Bad diet causes colon cancer. Bad food leads to tooth decay. Bad food leads to stroke and heartattack. Junk food has the addictive properties like nicotine in some people. The public is more susceptible to the damages caused by junk food than smoking. Smoking is banned in schools and any area that can be seen from the school, and yet junk food is served wthin the building and there are few other options aside from packing. There is, however, a comparitively sized anti-junk food movement with the food pyramid and the like, targeted at kids and it is comparitive to the anti smoking movement.

Both are really bad though so I'll let this thing lie. I dont' really care which anybody thinks is worse, I just think it's worse because it's difficult to avoid and a bunch of people ahve no clue about it like they do smoking.

People still get annoyed by this? This really doesn't bother anyone XD

In this thread:

People who think art can't contain product placement (I.E. The Beatles song Come Together is not a piece of art).

People who think game mechanics matter less than the concept (It's not the fact that you have health restoring items and their impact on gameplay that is interesting to them, but the fact that it's a can of soda, a ration, or a bugger).

People who think Solid Snake is influential enough to make me drink Mountain Dew (I drink Sun Drop).

dogstile:
People still get annoyed by this? This really doesn't bother anyone XD

I think it's the intrusiveness that perturbs a lot of people.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here