John Carpenter Working on F.E.A.R. 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

John Carpenter Working on F.E.A.R. 3

Warner Bros. has announced that acclaimed film director John Carpenter will be working on the newly-announced F.E.A.R. 3 - and that Monolith, the studio behind the first two games, won't.

It was a pretty good bet that we were going to get more F.E.A.R. sooner or later and after a couple of leaks earlier this year, WBIE has finally made it official: F.E.A.R. 3 is on the way. Players will step back into the boots of the Point Man, the hero of the original, in single-player mode, while his brother, the unusually hard-to-kill Paxton Fettel, will be playable in co-op multiplayer. The game will also see the return of Alma Wade, AKA mom, who's ready to give birth to the newest member of the family.

One family member who won't be returning, however, is Monolith, the developer of the first two F.E.A.R. games. Instead, F.E.A.R. 3 - which has actually been confirmed as the ridiculous F.3.A.R. - is being created by Day 1 Studios, whose previous credits include Fracture and the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 ports of the original F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. 3 will take the franchise back to the horror-focused gameplay of the first game and to help ensure "extreme terror," famed horror director John Carpenter, whose work includes Halloween, The Thing and the woefully underrated Vampires, has been brought aboard to consult on the project and help with creating the in-game cinematics. The game's script, meanwhile, was co-written by Steve Niles, the screenwriter of 30 Days of Night.

The game sounds like it has potential: Set months after the blast caused by Alma's escape, her "supernatural agony" continues to punish the city, while Armacham's notorious security forces and the remains of the F.E.A.R. team single-mindedly pursue their missions. Caught between his inexplicably devoted brother, his twisted, powerful mother and his F.E.A.R. teammates who are set on killing them both, the Point Man must decide once and for all where his loyalties lie.

Sounds cool. F.E.A.R. 3 is currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and is scheduled for release in fall 2010.

Sold. Even though its not Monolith.

Fracture sucked, but was an innovative concept. The F.E.A.R ports were good, barring the odd mapping of "Lean" on the default controls. But the control option that put 'em on the shoulder buttons worked!

I adored all the F.E.A.R. games, from 1, to Files, to 2, to 2s DLC Campaign.

I beat them all without dying, too. *polishes achievements* Well, no achievement for doing it in 2, but I did it.

So long as they make it more like F.E.A.R., and less like F.E.A.R. 2, I'll be happy.

But I liked Monolith's incredibly shitty writing in the FEAR games. It gave it a kind of Resident Evil vibe...

Do not doubt the guy who made The Thing!

it looks like the first fear guy is back and fetil. i hope is like fear 1. fear 2 was so disapointing

Gotta be the worst trailer I've ever seen. How is John Carpenter a selling point to a game? A guy that's spent lord knows how many decades churning out the same substandard rubbish.

I never really took much notice of the F.E.A.R. games, to be honest. However, in light of this new information, I'm thinking I should definitely hunt them down to get some of the backstory.

I know everybody has their idea of what the best horror movie of all time is, just giving you mine:

THE THING

uppitycracker:
So long as they make it more like F.E.A.R., and less like F.E.A.R. 2, I'll be happy.

Same here. Fear 2 really did not do alot for me...unlike the prignal.

And John Carpenter? Thats epic! With his experience to assist them I see great things ahead for it!

As long as the supernatural encounters aren't quicktime events, I'll be happy.

You can't scare me when I can press x to kill ghosts.

You can scare me when I can't do shit to the ghosts, but they can do what they want to me...

The Great JT:

Even though that same guy was consulted over and heavily hyped that absolute child-rapist of a game based on the movie?

sweet... I hope he pulls ideas from his best movie...ghosts of mars http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228333/

and also he should definitely compose the soundtrack

Ah but does Carpenter have a handle on the 'hair over the face,creepy silent girl with powers genre'?
Guess we'll see.

F.E.A.R. 3 will take the franchise back to the horror-focused gameplay of the first game and to help ensure "extreme terror," famed horror director John Carpenter, whose work includes Halloween, The Thing and the woefully underrated Vampires, has been brought aboard

FUCK

YES

!!!

After the pure awesome that was the original FEAR and the abysmal shit that was Project Origin, it's about time they went back to how it should've been instead of continuing on with the boring-ass action shooter route. Words cannot express how overjoyed I am about this.

But bloody hell, they'd better do it right.

Apparently I am in the minority here. I liked FEAR but I REALLY liked FEAR2 better.

I swear, F2 was the first game that actually made me jump, physically, at a scene in the game. The lockers and ghosts in the FEAR2 demo actually had me saying (out loud) "What the hell was that!" and sent my 11yr old granddaughter that was in the darkened room scurrying for the lights. Not one game has EVER done that for me and I was immediately sold on F2.

With Carpenter on board, its gotta be a win but the studio better code and do the game right or it will be an epic fail. Having a good writer/director doesn't mean the studio will make the game such that it lives up to the reputation and the hype.

I hope it pans out and I am hoping that FEAR3 will be a hit.

Keep the map design team from the second game, and get back to the difficulty and tone of the first.

FEAR 2 wasnt fun nor good enough IMHO, but the maps were absolutely gorgeous. Oh, and leave the uber-layer-controled-mechas out of the game this time, they were pointless.

eels05:
Ah but does Carpenter have a handle on the 'hair over the face,creepy silent girl with powers genre'?
Guess we'll see.

That's what I'm thinking, there are vast differences between horror from the west and east. He's experienced in having grotesque monstrosities killing fragile humans and such but I'm hoping he'll find the subtle psychological haunting aspect.

Wolfiesden:
Apparently I am in the minority here. I liked FEAR but I REALLY liked FEAR2 better.

You're not the minority here, I enjoyed the sequel over the first one. I'll admit the first one was better at giving me that creepy feeling.

Buying it the first day... would have bought FEAR 2 the first day but was low on money. :/

I just hope this means Monolith will get back to doing something akin to "No One Lives Forever." We already have too many pseudo-horror military shooters out there, give me more spy/comedy action!

Why is Fettel serving Alma? She was trying to kill Foxtrot 813 and I doubt he was happy with that so surely he'd be against her?

FEAR 3? FEAR 3!

Why are they talking about game #3 already? We still need two or more expansions for FEAR 2 that are quite fun, but get knocked by a bunch of people for being too samey, and ultimately get passed over and disavowed as non-canon.

As to Johnny C. Carpenter isn't a bad pick... At least it's not M. Knight Shamalamalamaduck (waht a twist) or Michael Bay (splosions), but if they want to hire someone who does fear well, I'd greatly encourage them securing some Japanese talent like Hideo Nakata (Ringu) or Takashi Shimizu (Ju-on) because the whole Alma story follows more of a J-Horror style and story arc.

As long as I get to play Point man from the original and its much more like the original I will be happy. Oh and is it just me or does anyone else think this game could actually be a pretty sweet Live Action Movie someday?

I'm quite disappointed that Monolith won't be behind the wheel this time, they did good work with the first one.

Andy Chalk:

F.E.A.R. 3 will take the franchise back to the horror-focused gameplay of the first game and to help ensure "extreme terror," famed horror director John Carpenter, whose work includes Halloween, The Thing and the woefully underrated Vampires, has been brought aboard to consult on the project and help with creating the in-game cinematics.

Lets not forget The Fog, Escape From New York, Big Trouble in Little China, Prince of Darkness, They Live, and the epic In the Mouth of Madness.

John Carpenter is one of my favourite directors, and despite never having played a F.E.A.R game before, his involvement has piqued my interest, to the extent that I may buy this game regardless of reviews and flaws if his influence is prominent.

I hope he also composes the music and ropes in Kurt Russell to play an anti-hero character, or writes in a 10 minute long brawl scene & QTE minigame between Keith David and Roddy Piper.

Vigilantis:
As long as I get to play Point man from the original and its much more like the original I will be happy. Oh and is it just me or does anyone else think this game could actually be a pretty sweet Live Action Movie someday?

the only way a FPS could be made into a sweet movie is if we got a movie from the FPS perspective and the hero doesn't talk. Maybe breathe, curse and mumble.

Looks like it's going to be crap.

John Carpenter is only "on board to consult" which is codeword for "we have him for a few meetings and that's it"

Also, I have respect for him as a film-maker but this is like bringing in a writer to direct a movie, I've said this a thousand times before till I am blue in the face but Video Games are NOT the same as movies!

Yeah, John Carpenter might be good at video games, but just because he is good at horror movies doesn't mean he will be much better than anyone else.

So beyond John Carpenter it is all bad, I mean the original developers are elaving and the guys WHO ONLY DID THE PORT are taking over (WTF!?!?) and with a past record for games which is... patchy... to say the least.

So John Carpenter is just directing the cinematics?

Never payed much attention to F.E.A.R... Until now! John Carpenter is my favourite horror-movie director, and I'm sure he'd be able to contribute to the interactive horror in a new way!

The Thing is one of my favourite movies of all time!

Treblaine:
Also, I have respect for him as a film-maker but this is like bringing in a writer to direct a movie, I've said this a thousand times before till I am blue in the face but Video Games are NOT the same as movies!

Yeah, John Carpenter might be good at video games, but just because he is good at horror movies doesn't mean he will be much better than anyone else.

They are not the SAME as movies but in many ways they are LIKE movies. From lighting, sound effects, special effects, camera angles, feel, settings, voice acting and cinematics, they are just like movies. It totally depends on how they USE Carpenter in the project that really matters. If they use him properly, and thats the key, then we are in for a hell of a ride.

A good director, and Carpenter is, knows how to light scenes to set mood and feel. They know where to place cameras for the best angle on the action. They know how to coach actors to deliver lines appropriate to the feel the director wishes to convey. These things directly apply to movies and games alike. If this is how they use Carpenter, then its the best use of his talent. If they use him for simple cut scenes, intros or trailers then its a total waste and nothing but fruitless hype.

Treblaine:
So beyond John Carpenter it is all bad, I mean the original developers are elaving and the guys WHO ONLY DID THE PORT are taking over (WTF!?!?) and with a past record for games which is... patchy... to say the least.

This I agree with. Its a mistake to cut monolith out of this and go with a completely marginal company. Not good. Still, I look forward to seeing what happens.

DarkSaber:

The Great JT:

Even though that same guy was consulted over and heavily hyped that absolute child-rapist of a game based on the movie?

I still think "consulted over" means "the devs called him every day and asked him "'is this destroying your creation enough?' until he locked himself in the bathroom and assumed the fetal position."

The Great JT:

DarkSaber:

The Great JT:

I still think "consulted over" means "the devs called him every day and asked him "'is this destroying your creation enough?' until he locked himself in the bathroom and assumed the fetal position."

Isn't that off one of The Spoony One's reviews? It's either him or someone on TGWTG. Or AVGN.

SomeUnregPunk:

Vigilantis:

the only way a FPS could be made into a sweet movie is if we got a movie from the FPS perspective and the hero doesn't talk. Maybe breathe, curse and mumble.

I can agree with this, for this game at least since Point Man was...well nameless and speechless, but that couldn't work for lets say a Duke Nukem movie, but in general it couldn't work to well with any movie I would think since I doubt many would be interested in partaking in looking through a helmet or camera-phone (though it has been done in Cloverfield/Blair Witch) In the end though I'm just saying the trailer of this really interested me in a FEAR movie, I definitely think it could have a chance.

DarkSaber:

The Great JT:

DarkSaber:
[quote="The Great JT" post="7.187180.5716572"]Do not doubt the guy who made The Thing!

Isn't that off one of The Spoony One's reviews? It's either him or someone on TGWTG. Or AVGN.

I believe thats TGWTG, for Tom and Jerry review if I remember correctly.

DarkSaber:

The Great JT:

DarkSaber:

The Great JT:

Spoony reviewed The Thing. The quote could've come from anyone from the Angry Video Game Nerd to the Nostalgia Critic to the Irate Gamer, I don't honestly know anymore.

Halloween is "extreme horror"?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or