First Pokémon Black & White Details and Images Evolve

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

First Pokémon Black & White Details and Images Evolve

Pokéfreaks are pokéfreaking out over the first new screens and details for Pokémon Black & White that recently leaked.

News on Pokémon can never seem to stay in the Pokéball. Details on the just announced Pokémon Black & White have come out of Japanese magazine Coro Coro along with images that show that the games are evolving just like Mankey evolves into Primeape at level 28.

Andriasang has the translation of the writeup for Black & White and it primarily involves the use of the third dimension. Characters and Pokémon appear to be rendered in the same 2D style as past games, but backgrounds are displayed in 3D. First screens of Pokemon Black & White can be found on Serebii.net where the most notable shows the player's trainer standing between two 3D high-rise buildings. Battles also appear to have more of a 3D style as well.

Coro Coro mentions three major evolutions for Black & White. The first is the more realistic depiction of the environments, and more shops for the Pokémon Center. The second is that Pokémon battles will be more intense for an unknown reason. My guess is that Pokémon can now die in explosions of blood and fur. The third evolution was not clearly revealed, but next to the section on it screens of the game's starting town and a dungeon were shown, so perhaps the games will begin in a new way not seen before.

As a Pokéoutsider, it's at least nice to see the series' graphics improve. However, if Joey returns and keeps calling about his Ratatta, I have a feeling Pokémon Black & White could end up angering more than they please.

Source: Andriasang

Image via Serebii.net

I was on the fence about getting it. But this? This has changed my mind! A lil' change suits me fine

Can't wait for it. I haven't been buying Pokemon games lately, but I'll be getting SoulSilver today, as my interest in the series has been completely revitalized as of a few days ago.

Whoa 3d is a big step for pokemon and I will get this just to see how it will work out, along with other reasons

Seriously, why do people buy into what is essentially the same game with new names? Pokemon is like, the same thing over and over again, lunacy. nice to see that they are taking a step into a newish direction, but the very premise of Pokemon could be adapted into something that looks far better than this shit they put up before you, being praised as awesome.

Maybe they are changing the battles from turn based into a more action/real time type battle? Different moves could have different cool-down times so you can get in a bunch of quick weak attacks whilst your opponent is charging up one really strong attack.

I never liked the boring battles in any of the previous games (that I had played) so it might actually make me consider thinking about possibly getting a DS or variant thereof and play it.

Zeeky_Santos:
Seriously, why do people buy into what is essentially the same game with new names? Pokemon is like, the same thing over and over again, lunacy. nice to see that they are taking a step into a newish direction, but the very premise of Pokemon could be adapted into something that looks far better than this shit they put up before you, being praised as awesome.

I dunno. Why do you ask the FPS genre that?

Zeeky_Santos:

You could argue that lots of other games are the same thing with a different name, the Pokémon games just managed to get away with it without the need for hiding it. Plus they're on Nintendo hand-helds, they go hand in hand since there is a new version of a pokémon game for every gameboy variant.

Meh. I've lost interest in the Pokemon series. I loved the older games, but I just can't keep up with the hundreds of different montser there are now. I tried to give Ruby a chance, but the sheer magnitude of critters and moves in the game now is a bit overwhelming, especially for someone like me who hasn't kept up with Pokemon since Silver/Gold. I still pop in the original 3 and Silver/Gold on my emulator every once in a while though.

Im scared the battle systems going to turn real time.

More intense battles...

This could go two ways, iv'e always wanted proper pokemon action battles but if handled wrong could become spectrobes :O

I hope the outdoor images are just a little blurry, because compared to the nice crisp character and environment models shown inside the Pokecenter, the rest just look terrible.

Zeeky_Santos:

As oppose to all the completely unique FPS's out there? The same basic concept that works well and is improved a little each generation isn't a bad formula for games.

Aura Guardian:

Zeeky_Santos:

One word: Roflstomped... I'm excited over this. I was crazy over it already but with them ACTUALLY doing some different stuff, I'm hooked

Wow 3D! About damn time pokemon. HG/SS almost tempted me into buying a DS (or swapping my PSP for one). Could this push me over the edge?

Aura Guardian:

Zeeky_Santos:

Ah but the key difference is in the amazing gameplay possibilities presented by FPS.

Ever played TF2, L4D, Portal and HL2? Each of these games has the same engine and Genre, but each has a drastically different play style. That's really what separates pointless monotonous clones like Pokemon from FPS, which at first glance looks all the same but then you realise that there are multitudes of possibilities.

Besides, isn't comparing a Genre and and a series just pants on head retarded? I mean, on one hand you have a set of things that are categorised by their similarities and then you have a set of things categorised by their meaningless addition to the same collective mass of the exact same thing over and over again.

This looks less like an evolution, and much more like a graphical upgrade to a series that gotten Billions for simply remaking the same game with minor editions each game.

Of course this is nintendo, so it seams to be par for the course for them.

Zeeky_Santos:

As a furry you are obligated to like Pokemon. Don't look at me that way, I don't make up the rules.

The basic formula works. Don't change what isn't broken. They do add features in every generation, and more Pokemon gives us more variety and stuff to do, but overall they keep what's fun in the games the same.

I mean, I could argue that Half-Life 2 hasn't changed for episodes 1 or 2, and I doubt it will for 3. Or that fighting games still have the same principles. Left 4 Dead only added melee weapons, a few guns that were similar to the rest(aside from the grenade launcher), a few powerups, and 3(I don't count uncommon common infected because they suck and are obscure) new undead types.

OT: Already saw these. Didn't hear about the new features being added though. Now I have something to wonder about.

Not G. Ivingname:
This looks less like an evolution, and much more like a graphical upgrade to a series that gotten Billions for simply remaking the same game with minor editions each game.

Of course this is nintendo, so it seams to be par for the course for them.

Good fomulas that are fun and work don't need to be massively changed, because this may prove to ruin a whole franchise.

Zeeky_Santos:

Because the gameplay is awesome?

Seriously. High-level Pokemon is one of the most mindblowingly strategic games out there. Nothing I've ever played compares.

Technically the Pokemon TCG game for the Gameboy was coined "Pokemon Black Version" in some fan circles.

Wait, so which is the warm color and which is the cool? All generations have a warm and cool color, so is it a cool black or a warm black?

It is looking interesting though. While yes, it's technically the same gameplay and similar story outline of the previous games, it's the new levels to explore and the new stories and characters that really draw people to new pokemon games. It's like an episodic game, same gameplay with little tweaks but it's technically a whole new adventure.

If you want to call it cookie cutter with better graphics then go ahead, but that's basically like calling all sequels and Episodic games the same. It's like the 3D GTAs, Gran Turismo, or God of War. All of them and their sequels are the same games with just some minor tweaks.

Zeeky_Santos:

When you think about it, Pokemon games are essentially sequels to each other.

I think that's how sequels work. I guess the "don't fix what isn't broke rule applies here"

John Funk:

Seriously. High-level Pokemon is one of the most mindblowingly strategic games out there. Nothing I've ever played compares.

Hearts of Iron would like to have a word with you.

Zeeky_Santos:
Seriously, why do people buy into what is essentially the same game with new names? Halo, Gears, God of War, ANYTHING is like, the same thing over and over again, lunacy. nice to see that they are taking a step into a newish direction, but the very premise of Halo, Gears, God of War, ANYTHING could be adapted into something that looks far better than this shit they put up before you, being praised as awesome.

See what I did there?

The same can be said of ANY series. Poke'Mon doesn't change its formula, because it WORKS. What they do with each new gen is modify, fine-tune, and perfect that core formula, which is what a sequel should do. I'm under the impression that you haven't played since Red/Blue, since Red/Blue and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum have vastly different strategies needed to achieve victory.

As I said in another thread on this site, it'll take me some getting used to the new 3D camera angles. If, however, we can rotate the camera, it'll be much better to get acquainted to. Still excited for it, of course, but the camera angles (and the over pixelated graphics...hope that's just a scanning issue) seem to be putting a damper on my excitement.

As long as it doesn't become like Pokemon Colosseum, I'll be happy.

Oh mah gawd yes.

right on! hopefully this generation WONT suck! :D

Why didn't they choose this to be for 3DS? The graphics need some Anti Aliasing man!

Calumon: I think those edges will hurt more than a hyper beam.

It looks funky but graphics don't make a game, I'll need more improvements/features before I think about getting the game.
Plus every new lot of pokemon they add is worse than the last, there is only 151 in my eyes!

That looks pretty awesome, I want it now!

Catkid906:
Why didn't they choose this to be for 3DS? The graphics need some Anti Aliasing man!

Good thing the didn't, otherwise I'd have to buy one and I just bought my DSi XL last week!

More intense? I wonder how...

None the less, its nice to see them changing the old formula a little. Refreshing!

Looks quite appealing. I haven't got any Pokemon games since Ruby, so maybe this can convince me to start again. Plus- I knew pokefreaking was a verb!

Tom Goldman:
However, if Joey returns and keeps calling about his Ratatta, I have a feeling Pokémon Black & White could end up angering more than they please.

LOL.

I can't wait for Pokemon Black and White. And like always, I'll pick it by which Legendary on the cover I think is cooler looking.

Flying-Emu:

Zeeky_Santos:
Seriously, why do people buy into what is essentially the same game with new names? Halo, Gears, God of War, ANYTHING is like, the same thing over and over again, lunacy. nice to see that they are taking a step into a newish direction, but the very premise of Halo, Gears, God of War, ANYTHING could be adapted into something that looks far better than this shit they put up before you, being praised as awesome.

See what I did there?

The same can be said of ANY series. Poke'Mon doesn't change its formula, because it WORKS. What they do with each new gen is modify, fine-tune, and perfect that core formula, which is what a sequel should do. I'm under the impression that you haven't played since Red/Blue, since Red/Blue and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum have vastly different strategies needed to achieve victory.

As a person who played every game until Ruby/Saphire (and then had to quit due to the fact that I know I'll have problems with owning the DS in the same way a recovering alcoholic has problems with jin), I can attest to the fact that the base formula works very well. Why? Because the base formula played to the advantage of the player's imagination. The turn-based combat, with the exception of minor balance tweeks and additions, has remained fundimentally the same, with 2D art sytle and simple battle animation. Everything else was filled in by the dopamine-rattled player's brain.

If I can ever convince myself to fall off the wagon and pick-up a decent used DS, I will probably buy this game.

John Funk:

Zeeky_Santos:

Because the gameplay is awesome?

Also, Joey has a m**herf**king Ratatta.

Ehhh... Personally I don't like the look of the battle scene. It looks horrible. And the more realistic environments with 3D backgrounds... It looks rather ugly. Not because of the blurry edges, but because it doesn't look like Pokemon.

Oh my gosh! This is gonna be epic! I hope that the game feels as awesome as it looks!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here