Gears of War 3 Gets Release Date and Trailer

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Gears of War 3 Gets Release Date and Trailer

New weapons and equal opportunities arrive in the third instalment of the Gears of War series.

We all knew it was coming, even before Microsoft accidentally let it slip, but Gears of War 3 has been officially announced, and it brings with it new weapons and shows female COGs for the first time. Epic's design director, Cliff Bleszinski, called the game "the worst kept secret in the video game industry," during his appearance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last night, and then went on to say:

"When we released Gears of War more than three years ago, we set out to tell the world an unforgettable story of bravery and sacrifice in the face of insurmountable odds, and a year from now, players will get the chance to experience the final chapter in the story of Marcus Fenix and his companions in Delta Squad."

The trailer shows Marcus Fenix using a double-barrelled shotgun, and shows a female COG for the first time, which Bleszinski confirmed via twitter was Anya, taking a much more active role than she has in previous Gears of War games.

Gears of War 3 will be released on Xbox 360 on April 5th 2011, in North America and Asia, on April 7 in Japan then April 8 in Europe and all other countries.

Source: Shack News

FINALLY! But then again, why do I care? I don't even have an xBox... *sad panda face*

Yay, another one with depressing music. Was that pompei in the video? I still need to finish 1&2.

Waitwaitwait, that was Anya? Anya?
WAT.
But she's a radio person, she has no combat training! Why wasn't she fighting before? GWARGH.

Still, okay trailer, sort of excited for it to be released.

Damn.. I still haven't bothered to keep playing the first one cuz it was all in black and white...

hazabaza1:
WAT.
But she's a radio person, she has no combat training! Why wasn't she fighting before? GWARGH.

Everyone in the Cog has Military training. She used to be a soldier in the pendulum wars even though she DID do quite a bit of radio work there. Point is, she's in the army, she knows how to fight.

As I noted in the other thread, Dom has a rockin' old man beard there. Can't say I'm a fan of the new armor. I guess I liked it when they looked like walking tanks.

This looks pretty good, and it should be a fun game.
I'll probably have to either ignore it, or pick up the first two when I get a 360.

Also, what was the second game that Cliffy B promised to announce?
Or was that just trying to recover from the massive screw-up with the trailer on the XBLA?

Yawn. Not impressed. Then again the Gears of War series has never impressed me in terms of story.

Not as good as the Rendevouz with Death trailer for 2 (yes I know I misspelled that) but pretty good.

Also, Cliff? I'll play your game and enjoy it. You have an innate understanding of how to make the Gears game reallllllly fun and thus I will enjoy it immensely.
Just don't ask me to give a shit about your characters.

There was never GoW for the master race so I'm not bothered, nice music tho, and I like the idea with the pompeyan like location, would be cool if that would be in the game.

Looking forward to it. Gears of War isn't among my favorites in gaming, but the first two titles were still good, solid entertainment.

Hard to imagine mankind could be considered even more fucked than at the end of the last game... wonder what went wrong this time.

Shockolate:

hazabaza1:
WAT.

Everyone in the Cog has Military training. She used to be a soldier in the pendulum wars even though she DID do quite a bit of radio work there. She's fighting now because they're even more desparate.

As I noted in the other thread, Dom has a rockin' old man beard there. Can't say I'm a fan of the new armor. I guess I liked it when they looked like walking tanks.

Didn't Anya have redish hair in the last game? Or am I thinking of someone else?

And I had to double take on Dom, I couldn't tell whether that was him with the beard. =/

Well, now we gotta wait and see if it will live up to all the hype.

Great to see it been talked about at least

One badass beard Mr Santiago has now. Just like a good latino named person should have.

Ben Legend:

Didn't Anya have redish hair in the last game? Or am I thinking of someone else?

And I had to double take on Dom, I couldn't tell whether that was him with the beard. =/

Know what you mean. Freaked me right the fuck out...

OT: Wow, I can't believe I'm actually kind of exited. Then again I never hated the Gears series, just had a whole "meh" felling towards them.

Either way, I liked the first game's trailer better.

Wait...

Looks to be quite a bit into the future...a full beard on Dom!

Interesting, at first I thought the blonde haired woman was Anya. But I'm not so sure, perhaps the final sibling in the carmine family?

Edit: Damn you Cliff, you'll release the game just before I go in to writing finals.

Sonicron:
Looking forward to it. Gears of War isn't among my favorites in gaming, but the first two titles were still good, solid entertainment.

Hard to imagine mankind could be considered even more fucked than at the end of the last game... wonder what went wrong this time.

They killed their last stronghold to try and stop the locust, and presmuably all thier manufacturing has gone too. So no more fancy weapons, no more uber armor and no more monster truck tanks.

Sounds absolutely fantastic. Back to the original style gears was going for.

While Gears' story might not be solid gold on paper I'm at least interested enough to see how it ends.

I mean they had a pretty interesting thing going on with the whole locust civil war in the second one.

teutonicman:
Interesting, at first I thought the blonde haired woman was Anya. But I'm not so sure, perhaps the final sibling in the carmine family?

Nope, that's Anya. And there's actually 4 Carmine's. Clay (The oldest) is supposed to be in Gears 3, the other one, not a whole lotta info on, except he/she's name start's with D.

teutonicman:

The article says it's Anya buddy...

EDIT: Bah, ninja'd

looks pretty good, but [excuse my ignorance] what the heck was the thing that was plucking the locusts off the ground? Some potential third party that sided with the humans?

Hybridwolf:

Sonicron:

They killed their last stronghold to try and stop the locust, and presmuably all thier manufacturing has gone too. So no more fancy weapons, no more uber armor and no more monster truck tanks.

Oh right, that did happen. Well, that certainly qualifies as 'totally fucked'.

I'm a bit concerned about the game as a whole, though... while I do want to see how the story ends, at this point it's hard to picture anything but total annihilation of the human race, and even though the game always gives you an objective I'm worried that my motivation to beat the game will be severely dampened by the depressing outlook.

Logan Westbrook:
"When we released Gears of War more than three years ago, we set out to tell the world an unforgettable story of bravery and sacrifice in the face of insurmountable odds,

Psshahahahahah!! That I can't say with a striaght face. Oh cliffy, you always make my day better.

Damn! That bearded guy IS Dom.... I was hoping he'd be a new character or like, Marcus' dad or something.... ah well...

Argh. I was secretly hoping Cliffy would announce a Jazz Jackrabbit sequel for the XBLA.

Skopintsev:

Logan Westbrook:
"When we released Gears of War more than three years ago, we set out to tell the world an unforgettable story of bravery and sacrifice in the face of insurmountable odds,

Psshahahahahah!! That I can't say with a striaght face. Oh cliffy, you always make my day better.

PS3 fanboys: Always raising the bar for pettiness and insecurity.

WrongSprite:

teutonicman:

The article says it's Anya buddy...

EDIT: Bah, ninja'd

AWWW reading FTL

I've always though that Gears of War have done excellent trailers but I am overall rather apathetic to the entire franchise. That being said, I will still probably give it a look in when it comes out.

danielsharpe1634:
what the heck was the thing that was plucking the locusts off the ground? Some potential third party that sided with the humans?

Presume its the lambent from end of gears 2
Trailer didn't do much for me but am sure it'll be a good play, just hope this one has better multi player matchmaking.

Has anyone else noticed how Dom, not Marcus (the protagonist) is getting the most screen time in this trailer? I have a hunch that the story is going to revolve a lot more around him this time around...

Not that it matters to me, I have a PS3 :P

Decabo:

Skopintsev:

Logan Westbrook:

...Why would I be labeled a fanboy? Oh, it MUST be because i have a MAG avatar right? God forbid I just DON'T LIKE GRRRRRRRZZ of War because its my opinion.

Grow up, I said nothing bad about the game itself. It has a laughable story, and Cliffy claims its unforgettable.

Nice to see they've swapped out their brown palette for a grey one. At least it's not as pretentious a trailer as the one for the second game, though they're still trying to make it seem like a much deeper game than it actually is.

Overall that was pretty good trailer. And holy crap Anya is in the front lines now.

Lets hope they bring back Dizzy and the rest of the Carmines.

Skopintsev:

Decabo:

Skopintsev:

Logan Westbrook:

...Why would I be labeled a fanboy? Oh, it MUST be because i have a MAG avatar right? God forbid I just DON'T LIKE GRRRRRRRZZ of War because its my opinion.

Grow up, I said nothing bad about the game itself. It has a laughable story, and Cliffy claims its unforgettable.

Bashing a game you clearly don't own on a console you don't have: The main symptom of a fanboy.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here