Cheating Scandal Rocks South Korean StarCraft Circuit

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Cheating Scandal Rocks South Korean StarCraft Circuit

The professional StarCraft community in South Korea is up in arms over reports of match-fixing and illegal betting.

StarCraft is a big deal in Korea; it gets played professionally and there are TV channels devoted to it, but reports of match-fixing and illegal betting have rocked the community, forcing some players into retirement.

The reports state that an unspecified number of professional StarCraft players rigged their matches in conjunction with illegal gambling groups, and also leaked their replays. And it's also not just current players that are involved, retired players and coaches are also implicated, and the e-sport organizers were said to have been aware of the problem.

South Korean human rights laws means that the names of those involved cannot be released, but the scandal is said to touch many of the country's top StarCraft players and is being likened to the 1919 Black Sox scandal, where Chicago White Sox players were discovered to be throwing matches during the 1919 World Series against the Cincinnati Reds, which should give you some idea of how seriously StarCraft is taken in South Korea.

Source: 1up

I can only imagine the rage of the fans...

Damn..why would you take StarCraft that serious as to have to cheat?

SnootyEnglishman:

Because. In South Korea, Starcraft is serious buisness.

OT: Wow, whenever I think I've seen it all, something like this happens. Just damn dude...

Sorry for pre-mature post, fail on my part

With that level of devotion, I'm surprised the cancellation of Ghost didn't lead to an international incident.

Irridium:

O

In South Korea, everything is serious business. Their musicians don't only have rabid fans, they have rabid anti-fans that try to poison them and get into brawls with the fans. The fans all have their "band scarves" of different colours depending on the band to show their support. It's insane. My girlfriend follows this and told me about this one guy in a band who got a girlfriend. The fans, dejected that they couldn't be his girlfriend, hated her guts and she had to be protected from them. It's insane!

So I'd be very worried if I was one of the cheaters on SC there. My house might be zerg-rushed by nerdraging SC players.

I can't believe three things about this. Firstly, that they actually took the game serious enough to cheat (okay wait yeah I knew that). Second...that they actually cheated {not very smart...in any competitive activity} then were dumb enough to get caught. And lastly...that this is big news. I mean outside of Korea...I doubt anybody will really care all that much (apologies if there are people who care don't shout at me I'm just saying like generally).

Wait a minute, there are StarCraft coaches?

Enigmers:
Wait a minute, there are StarCraft coaches?

You noticed that too? What exactly would a StarCraft coach do? Yell at you to click faster?

Logan Westbrook:
Cheating Scandal Rocks South Korean StarScraft Circuit

Your article title has an extra S in StarCraft.

This is clearly an awful case of StarGraft.

What do you mean by leaked their replays? Are you saying that no one is supposed to see them but they showed it anyway?

And lol Starcraft coach, that's not something you see everyday.

Koreans?

Cheating in an computer game?!

[sarcasm]Golly, they never do stuff like that, nope.[/sarcasm]

Sturmdolch:

Irridium:

O

In South Korea, everything is serious business. Their musicians don't only have rabid fans, they have rabid anti-fans that try to poison them and get into brawls with the fans. The fans all have their "band scarves" of different colours depending on the band to show their support. It's insane. My girlfriend follows this and told me about this one guy in a band who got a girlfriend. The fans, dejected that they couldn't be his girlfriend, hated her guts and she had to be protected from them. It's insane!

So I'd be very worried if I was one of the cheaters on SC there. My house might be zerg-rushed by nerdraging SC players.

Well, there's only one way I know how to respond to that:

Seriously... damn dude...

I like these stories because when my wife complains about my video gaming, I can bring these up and say, "Well, at least I'm not as bad as THESE losers!!"

scnj:
With that level of devotion, I'm surprised the cancellation of Ghost didn't lead to an international incident.

This; I was expecting mass riots and nationwide anarchy.

Also, how can a person cheat at religion; steal someones God and make it better?

Wait! They have channels dedicated to Starcraft! Actual entire television broadcasts dedicated to a game created in the nineties. It boggles the mind! This game has been promoted to the level of a full blown national sport. I can see how someone would cheat for financial gain. It is like a boxer taking a dive for interested parties. He gains even more than he could actually win.

I love how in South Korea, Starcraft is pretty much a sport like football (soccer for you Americans) or rugby/American football is over here. I'd almost wish we had a game like that, until the realisation dawns that the game would have to be Modern Warfare 2 which, no offence to those who like the game, is not exactly the best game to use for a proper competitive showdown of the same proportion to a "real" sport.

SnootyEnglishman:

Umm... is this a joke? There's cheating in every videogame that's ever been written. Besides, this wasn't about winning a videogame, it was about winning money, by betting against yourself, or cheating to get one side an advantage, even if it's against your own teammates, and betting on them losing.

"Professional" sports in South-East Asia heavily involved with illegal gambling? This is truly shocking news!

... sometimes I'm scared of the East.
But then I remember katanas.

Wait, that's Japan... well surely, Korea must have something similarly awesome... right?

There are TV channels for STARCRAFT?! That's incredible!

Well, at least this explains why some people I know have the White Sox on their blacklist, even to this day...
OTT: they were found out when one of them typed in "Power overwhelming", right? jk lol

The_ModeRazor:

Wait, that's Japan... well surely, Korea must have something similarly awesome... right?

Yes.

Fan Death!

It's genuine.

A professional gaming coach... no matter what you become, you'll never have a cooler job than that.

That's pretty intense o.o

here is hoping they can crack down on it!

This is hilarious. South Koreans are nuts about their Starcraft and I can imagine they'd be just as up in arms as British football fans would be if their favorite club was throwing games.

Hold on....isn't North Korea the crazy one?

I like these stories because when my wife complains about my video gaming, I can bring these up and say, "Well, at least I'm not as bad as THESE losers!!

These "losers" are making money (many of them not insignificant amounts) doing what they love, how does that make them a loser. Did you read the article, especially the parts where it mentions all the money involved or the tv stations?

I understand it may be foreign to you but this is not the same situation as getting yelled at by your wife, these "losers" have many thousands of dollar riding with endorsement, and prize money. In Koeora SC is serious business, and this isn't a joke in the least bit, so you should really find some better examples then this when trying to reduce wife aggro ;)

Anyone else read the bit about the coaches and immediately think of "Spawn more overlords" or "You must construct additional pylons"?

Seeing the announcement of the Starcraft 2 Collectors Edition also got me wondering just how many people are we going to lose to this game? Not lose as in social interaction but more along the lines of...dead.

redmarine:
I can only imagine the rage of the fans...

hahahaha wow that made me laugh

Eatbrainz:

yeah I was talking to one of my friends (the one who got me into RPGs back in the day) who was one of the several people I know getting into the StarCraft craze about how it and the Koreans are like one and the same nowadays lol...

Anyone else read the bit about the coaches and immediately think of "Spawn more overlords" or "You must construct additional pylons"?

So true lol

Seeing the announcement of the Starcraft 2 Collectors Edition also got me wondering just how many people are we going to lose to this game? Not lose as in social interaction but more along the lines of...dead.

Well in korea players have been killed in real life for the game so only time will tell ;)

Eatbrainz:

yeah... incredibly useless and unneeded. =/

Yeah, laugh if you want, but I'm a fan of Pro Starcraft, and as an another person said: "I never thought watching Koreans playing a 12 years old game would be so much fun."

Seriously.

Tharwen:

The_ModeRazor:

Yes.

Fan Death!

It's genuine.

Stop bursting my goddamn bubble of hope!
And they like Starcraft!
Surely, that must be a good thing... although this devotion seems somewhat... ummm, zealous.
But zealots have psi-blades!

SnootyEnglishman:

It's less about cheating in game and more about taking a dive in a match because of some gambling groups.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.