Kojima Vows to Leave Industry if Next Project is a Failure

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Kojima Vows to Leave Industry if Next Project is a Failure

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has said that he will leave the videogame industry if he messes up his next project.

Hideo Kojima is giving himself an ultimatum, either his next project is a success, or he will quit the industry. He made the confusing claim in a tweet, which, when translated from Japanese, reads:

"The next project will challenge a certain type of taboo. If I mess up, I'll probably have to leave the industry. However, I don't want to pass by avoiding that. I turn 47 this year. It's been 24 years since I started making games. Today, I got an ally who would happily support me in that risk. Although it's just one person. For a start, it's good."

It's not clear if he's referring to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker or some other, as yet unannounced, project, but as it's Kojima, expect it to be a little on the strange side.

Source: CVG

Somehow this strikes me as some kind of supervillian ultimatum. His next project? To RULE THE WORLD.

Hmmmmm, is it wrong that I'm kinda looking forward to him leaving? I couldn't stand MGS4

He's a strange, strange man isin't he?

Well, thats why we love him.

It's okay Kojima, failure is in the eye of the beholder.

Rainboq:
Hmmmmm, is it wrong that I'm kinda looking forward to him leaving? I couldn't stand MGS4

Well, it's just one game. I wouldn't get my torchs and pitchforks for only one game.

Please define "mess up".

I mean, every game with a respectable buget behind it is going to sell at least some copies, these days.

Is he going with an actual homoerotic game this time?

oh noes?

So its either MGS: Peacewalker or MGS: Rising. Oh wait, could be a totally new IP. Interested to see what the huge risk is.

If this came to pass it would be a great shame, I am a huge fan of Kojima's work.

RapeLay Solid 2 by Hideo Kojima.

Pardon. When he says taboo and that it will probably get him fired, my first thought came to that one game that horrified many.

it wont happen, hes making way to much cahs for that to happen.

The man has enough fan boys that will buy it regardless.

I have my doubts that it'll fail.

Note: I'm not harshing Kojima fanboys/girls. I'm pretty much one of them.

Something tells me the thing that will "challenge a certain type of taboo" will be a game like DOA, and it will probably be the girls just naked, can't say I will miss him though.

No room for Hideo :(

-m

I wonder what exactly is a success for him.

Mordwyl:

O.o

He could skirt the bet by not actually making any more games, and just be a producer or an executive producer who has considerable creative control written in to his contract.

Or if anything it will take him roughly 200 5 minute speech sequences to explain it all in the end. This guy doesn't like getting to the point, until hes past it.

Holy hell I want that duck thing.

Oh, and oh noes... and stuff.

Interesting that he would say something like that. I hope his next project won't suck.

Well, since the original MGS series is over, I can honestly say that I wouldn't be too concerned if he left the industry. I feel he's contributed to gaming in a very significant way with MGS 1-4, and he almost fucked it up with 4. I think it's better if he leave while he's still partially sane. There's only so many 45 minute cutscenes I can take.

Quaidis:

Pardon. When he says taboo and that it will probably get him fired, my first thought came to that one game that horrified many.

Cum of the Patriots?

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing.

This should be interesting.

Well, considering every single Metal Gear Solid game was going to be the last one, and the fact that every game starring Snake was going to be the last one...

I have to say that I don't think he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Taboo has to be gays/gays murdering animals/gays in boats/gays with gays eating gays gayly.

Also gay.

So he has a fourth upcoming title outside of Peace, Rising, and Z.O.3.? Sounds like he's firing all cylinders and retiring early anyway.

Sir Kemper:
He's a strange, strange man isin't he?

Well, thats why we love him.

This is true, hes not your normal japanese developer.

I hope he dosnt leave. I love what he does, and, he does what he loves. Although, if his next project is ZoE 3 then...I am sure it will be epic

Quaidis:

Ninja'd! You bastard.....

OT: Why do people make ultimatums like this? If his next project does suck, he'll have to quit, even if he doesn't want to. If he doesn't, he'll look quite foolish. Either that or he'll leave for a few years, then have a change of heart, and decide to make another game.

He's going to remake Snake's Revenge. (If I recall correctly he didn't make the original. That's why it's taboo!)

And release it for the iPad.

You heard it on the Escapist first!

And if he does.

I shall kill myself

X.X

Well if he's trying something new and innovative, good on him. The game industry is growing stale, it really is. Too many FPSs, very few new IPs, and even fewer gameplay innovations. Hopefully you can turn that around Mr. Kojima.

Can we stop using the photo of him on the duck? It's just really weird by now.

Mordwyl:

In a world, where society cannot understand a game designer and his love for a strange duck... thing.

Wait. It's going to be a Twilight MMO. Remember, Kojima is a Twilight fan, so much that he judged a fanfiction contest.

He didn't seem to say that he would want to quit just that if he messes up whatever taboo subject that he is dealing with then he is going to be forced to quit.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here