Sony Bundling Free PS3 Games With 3D TVs

Sony Bundling Free PS3 Games With 3D TVs

Are you on the fence about picking up a 3D TV? Would some free PS3 games win you over?

People who purchase Sony's first 3D capable TV, the Bravia HX800 will be given a code to download free stereoscopic games for their PS3s. Purchasers will be able to download full 3D versions of Super Stardust HD and WipeOut HD, three episoides of Pain and a demo of MotorStorm: Pacific Rift.

The offer is only good in Europe unfortunately, although it's possible that Sony may roll out some similar deal for other territories.

Sony has said that it has many studios working on 3D titles and is "very optimistic" about the technology. No pricing details have been announced for the new TVs yet, but Sony is saying that it will be affordable. The HX800 is set for release this June, with the PS3 getting a firmware upgrade around the same time.

Source: Edge

Oh God, why can't this 3D just DIE already?

Sounds interesting. But I don't feel like wearing a special pair of glasses to play games.

I already wear glasses, and they just wouldn't get along.

You know, I tried out a 3D TV in Best Buy not too long ago, and it was pretty cool.
Until I realized I had to buy a special TV, with special, power glasses, and get a special 3D copy of my movie in order for it to all work. I'm going to have to give that a big 'pass'. I don't have $3000+ to blow on something as frivolous as 3D TV.

Be interesting to see Wipeout in 3D, but I've played a few 3D games in the past and found them to be.....dissorientating, especially the shooters

It's going to take a while before 3d catches on it tvs but hey 3d gaming really appeals to me, so I think it might be the logical step forward.

Well, 3D has kind of already blown itself out of proportion in the US as far as I can tell... although maybe the release of so damned many 3D movies was intended to coincide with the development of a 3D TV, so the hype was all falsely generated and overplayed by ads... though so many movies came out in 3D it seems worrisome to think they were all gambling that much on it.

Nevertheless, until they create a holographic television, true independent 3D without the use of additional materials (read: glasses) is still a distant speck.

if you buy a 3D tv and you watch things in normal HD or does it all have to be 3D?

Either way that's pretty cool to get some games with a TV (if you have a playstation that is).

coldfrog:
Well, 3D has kind of already blown itself out of proportion in the US as far as I can tell... although maybe the release of so damned many 3D movies was intended to coincide with the development of a 3D TV, so the hype was all falsely generated and overplayed by ads... though so many movies came out in 3D it seems worrisome to think they were all gambling that much on it.

Nevertheless, until they create a holographic television, true independent 3D without the use of additional materials (read: glasses) is still a distant speck.

Just about every animated movie since the early 2000's is in 3d. 3d movies have been here for a while now and are just gaining popularity. and they do already have 3d TVs that have no need of 3d glasses the technology is called autostereoscopic 3d. its just a lil to pricey for consumers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy

TheRealGoochman:
if you buy a 3D tv and you watch things in normal HD or does it all have to be 3D?

Either way that's pretty cool to get some games with a TV (if you have a playstation that is).

Yep you can play normal movies/games on a 3d tv.
But if you have a 3d you arent going to play 2d I guess.
If its working good that is :P

The games so far I can tell are junk. No thanks, I was expecting some sick AAA+ titles, but noooo. Some old ass arcade games and whatever.

And most costumers don't have that kind of money or will to blow so much on something that's 3D and requires use of glasses constantly.

Bon voyage Sony!

3D alienates a large demographic. Namely people with only one functioning eye.

It will not catch on.

Those of you who have yet to be won over by 3D TV need to watch this ad.

I've been playing games in 3D on my PC and I believe it does add to the game (especially the overlord series. If you can, do play these games in 3D), it's just little more than a graphical upgrade like HD vs SD.

Casual Shinji:
Oh God, why can't this 3D just DIE already?

+1

I really don't get the fascination with 3D technology, it does not look good, and ruins a film more often than not. It darkens the colour palette and makes the picture less sharp, often ruining the directors intended shot. Its a bit like a TV villain, no matter how many times they are killed off they find someway to make a comeback!

xpacerx:

coldfrog:

Just about every animated movie since the early 2000's is in 3d. 3d movies have been here for a while now and are just gaining popularity. and they do already have 3d TVs that have no need of 3d glasses the technology is called autostereoscopic 3d. its just a lil to pricey for consumers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy

You live and learn... that's some wild stuff right there. And yeah, there have been 3D movies since almost the beginning of film, but only in the past few years have they really pushed it to this ridiculous amount... every other film ad I see has a 3D version. Frankly, I'm sick of it already. TPHTP.

TelHybrid:

It will not catch on.

Add in gamers who already have to find strategies to avoid vertigo.

TelHybrid:

It will not catch on.

As like people like me.

So, will free games sell it for me? No, not really.

Anything 3D for me means nothing, at all.

3D is a fad, until the technology becomes available where it becomes true 3d without the use of special glasses (That give me migraines) it will remain a fad.

10BIT:
Those of you who have yet to be won over by 3D TV need to watch this ad.

I actually feel mildly insulted by the idiocy of that ad.

I'm resisting every cell in my body at the moment trying to refrain erupting into an explosive mix of fiery rage and various expletives. The very thought of 3D makes me cringe. Now we have manufacturers trying to peddle this garbage (at prices I can only begin to fathom) for home entertainment purposes? The funniest/most enraging thing about this is that going forward with this means there's actually some kind of demand for it...

Tl,dr: 3D make JdaS angry. Very angry.

Good. I can't tell you how many times I've laid down in the couch and gone "Damn, I could use a huge pair of thick glasses in right now"

yeah, this all sounds good, but how much will it cost....?

Logan Westbrook:
it will be affordable

Like the ps3 was affordable?

OT: I hate this 3D and because of my regular glasses I can't tell the difference anyway. Oh well, hopefully it will die out soon

What's sad is that there have been 3D tv's for at least the last 3 years, they just weren't LCD or LED, they were DLP. You can get one of those for under $2000.

Baby Tea:
You know, I tried out a 3D TV in Best Buy not too long ago, and it was pretty cool.
Until I realized I had to buy a special TV, with special, power glasses, and get a special 3D copy of my movie in order for it to all work. I'm going to have to give that a big 'pass'. I don't have $3000+ to blow on something as frivolous as 3D TV.

I haven't checked it out yet, but if you need powered glasses the whole point of a dedicated TV is kinda wasted. Just get an old 100Hz CRT TV and it'll work as well...
Sounds like a useless piece of overpriced hardware.

coldfrog:

3D TV without glasses isn't on market yet, but it does already exist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOWvx

TelHybrid:

It will not catch on.

I don't think people will avoid 3D just because not everyone can enjoy it. There are plenty of examples of devices that are unusable for people with specific disabilities, that are popular nevertheless.

FinalDream:
I really don't get the fascination with 3D technology, it does not look good, and ruins a film more often than not. It darkens the colour palette and makes the picture less sharp, often ruining the directors intended shot.

Polarized glasses darken unpolarized light (they let about 50% through, theoretically), but they shouldn't darken light with the appropriate polarization at all. Shutter glasses are only open 50% of the time, so they do effectively darken everything.

I would never get a 3D TV that uses shutter glasses, because flickering 60 times per second is horrible. It's even worse than staring at a 60 Hz CRT, because at least then the background light is continuous. I get very uncomfortable if I look at a 60 Hz CRT for two hours (and that's in a decently-lit room, not movie viewing conditions) so watching a movie with shutter glasses is probably not a good idea ...

Polarized glasses are better in that respect. They also dim the background light, but at least there is no flickering. Still, any 3D solution with glasses is suboptimal in my opinion.

The lens-layer solution would be pretty awesome in that respect, but on the other hand, dividing the screen into nine viewing angles also means a ninefold decrease in the horizontal number of pixels per image. So you'd want to increase your screen's horizontal pixel count by a similar factor to compensate. Maybe you could shave off a factor 2-3 or so because of the extra perceived resolution the stereovision gives you, but that's still pretty substantial.

Ravek:

I don't think people will avoid 3D just because not everyone can enjoy it. There are plenty of examples of devices that are unusable for people with specific disabilities, that are popular nevertheless.

Example: Most popular devices are unusable or extremely difficult to use for people with specific disabilities.

I too once hought that all this 3D stuff was gimmicky and just a flat out waste of time. But lately, I've seen what improvements they've made it is really quite astonishing. It's a thing you really have to experience and see the future potential in it to understand why Sony is pushing this so hard.

I won't be getting one anytime soon as I just can't fork over that Sony price, nor do I believe there is enough support for it now. Only time will tell..

Wipeout... nice choice Sony, watch your customers bleed their eyes out for the shinyness explosions going around in 3d, if "2d" Wipeout was great for the eyes imagine it in 3d.
I approve of that.

Nope. Can't say I'm interested.
Come back when full player immersion in virtually generated 3dimensional environments is possible.

(In other words, when Tron can actually happen, then we'll talk).

Well as long as they're sure there's a market for 3D, then go for it Sony. Personally, I'm still running on a SD TV. Although I will admit, I'd love to see Wipeout HD in 3D.

Irridium:
Sounds interesting. But I don't feel like wearing a special pair of glasses to play games.

I already wear glasses, and they just wouldn't get along.

Agreed, it's sort of like the thing they did with Arkham, it just won't sell.

I'll buy thier LCD tellies though!

what is "affordable"? $5000-$7000? they is nuts. XD

Didn't they say the PS3 was "affordable" when it came out <.<

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook