7500 Gamers Sell Their Souls to GameStation

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

7500 Gamers Sell Their Souls to GameStation

If you made an online purchase from GameStation on April 1, 2010, you may be surprised to discover that the company now legally owns your immortal soul.

It's common knowledge that nobody ever actually reads the various end user license agreements, terms and conditions and other legalistic walls of text that gamers are commonly assaulted with. It takes too long, they're way too complicated and they all say the same thing: Do this, don't do that, no warranties explicit or implied, etc. Nobody cares about them anyway, so what's the point?

But on April 1, U.K. retailer GameStation decided to make a point: It inserted an "Immortal Soul Clause" into the T&C of its online game sales, then sat back to watch what would happen.

"By placing an order via this web site on the first day of the fourth month of the year 2010 Anno Domini, you agree to grant Us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul," the terms and conditions read. "Should We wish to exercise this option, you agree to surrender your immortal soul, and any claim you may have on it, within 5 (five) working days of receiving written notification from gamesation.co.uk or one of its duly authorized minions. We reserve the right to serve such notice in 6 (six) foot high letters of fire, however we can accept no liability for any loss or damage caused by such an act."

True to form, according to the company, 88 percent of customers didn't read the T&C and thus legally forfeited their souls. How could it tell? Because the 12 percent who did notice the clause also saw the opt-out option, which included a voucher for £5 - roughly $7.75 - off the price of their purchase. More than 7500 customers missed out on the offer and are now beholden to GameStation for all eternity.

Fortunately, management says the company isn't actually interested in harvesting souls, so it will be issuing an email to all customers nullifying its claim.

Source: bit-tech.net

Alright that's one of the best April Fools jokes yet. Unfortunately they wouldn't get my soul, I sold it in Grade Eight so they'd be a little late to the party

Meh, Gamestation have owned my sould for many years, and a large chunk of my disposable income

HA!

Thats great.

But it also scares me. What if someone decided to do something like this for real? By law they would be in the clear...

Scary thought.

I feel like this could have easily taken the cake in the contest had it been found earlier, this is just simply that Awesome.

Thats fucking awesome done, would be more awesome if they did something with the souls in an EVIL WAY OF EVIL DOINGNESS!!!!

That's pretty awesome. From the title I assumed it would be a joke, that buying games from gamestation means you lose your soul automatically :P

Ha! Thats funny.

Thats why I'm glad I got those extra souls from that mysterious lady.

Nice. I wonder what would have happened if they had gone through with it...

Well, my respect for Gamestation just went up. This is awesome. Of course, they should totally keep all of those souls. I have no idea what they would do with them but still

Okay. That right there, that's funny.

My soul is completely without value, its been a black and twisted wreck since I was... oh I dunno, let's say twelve. It'd be a raw deal for them. I made peace with Hell as my final resting place a long time ago. Remember what they say, go to Heaven for the scenery, Hell for the company.

Still, awesome prank. EULA's are Serious Business people!

I like companies with a sense of humour. I can now see somebody suing them in order to get their soul back and claiming "grievances" though. If this happens then I called it.

That'll teach us to read the terms and conditions!

No it won't...

Legion:
I like companies with a sense of humour. I can now see somebody suing them in order to get their soul back and claiming "grievances" though. If this happens then I called it.

I can imagine being in that jury.

"Mr. Nothingbettertodo is suing Gamestation for taking his immortal soul and for greivances incurred thereafter. What does the prosecution have to say about this?"

"I have a tin hat which I use to detect slightly offensive adverts so I can quickly complain to Ofcom. I also was the first person to complain about the Janet Jackson incident (I played it frame-by-frame to confirm I had something to complain about)."

That's okay, i don't have a soul anyway.

This company just earned a huge amount of respect in my eyes.

That.

Is.

Awesome.

To the lawyer-cave!

Ha, that's well clever. People don't read T&C's that's half the problem. I read them depending on what it is regarding...

And that is why Gamestation> Game for me. The local people who work there are much friendlier in my area as well.

:D

EMFCRACKSHOT:
Well, my respect for Gamestation just went up. This is awesome. Of course, they should totally keep all of those souls. I have no idea what they would do with them but still

Well I assume that if one of their employees had been naughty throughout his lifetime, he could then use a harvested pure soul to still get into heaven. So yea, I'd definitely keep 'em, considering my track record with unholy activities.

Now that is epic. I love it!

I wonder how many people are now like "Huh, wha!?" XD

Best, April Fools. Ever!

Xzi:

EMFCRACKSHOT:

Well I assume that if one of their employees had been naughty throughout his lifetime, he could then use a harvested pure soul to still get into heaven. So yea, I'd definitely keep 'em, considering my track record with unholy activities.

The souls of gamers can be considered "pure"?

Not according to all those worried mothers out there they aren't.

More anti-game publicity is coming, just you wait.

"Gamestation is the devil!"

Fortunately, management says the company isn't actually interested in harvesting souls, so it will be issuing an email to all customers nullifying its claim.

Before I read this, I couldn't stop thinking, "At least one of the 7500 is going to get pissed and do something stupid".

Irridium:
HA!

Thats great.

But it also scares me. What if someone decided to do something like this for real? By law they would be in the clear...

Scary thought.

No they wouldn't. Just because they wrote it on a piece of paper and you did something they claim means you "signed" it does not mean it is legal. For example, you cannot sign a piece of paper that gives somebody the right to discriminate against you on the basis of your cultural background or skin color, because civil rights laws already exist which trump any stupid rules some company makes up. In this case, your right to liberty would take precedence over a sneaky "soul owning" clause.

So it's really just a funny joke.

This ranks as one of those things which should be a MASSIVE wakeup call to politicians and lawyers everywhere.

But, as so often happens, *giggle giggle* "Oh my, how we laughed. Sign here? Certainly. Hey, imagine if this T&C contained such a clause!"

"Oh, but it does, Sir..."

(Yeah, they can't get your soul...but a direct debit? permission to cold-call you? promise to purchase upgrades? advertising links embedded into Facebook...that's for the lawyers/politicians to decide...like they did with the Digital Economy Bill)

Wow, in retrospect, this is easily the best April fools joke.

Epic win right here.

Irridium:
HA!

Thats great.

Scary thought.

Generally speaking a contract for someone's soul can't be executed because you cannot prove or disprove transfer of the item in question.

My love for Gamestation has gown even more.

Downright amazing.

Even when they cannot legally have claim because your soul isn't an item that can be handed over at their whim, I find this one an interesting event. They obviously hint at the dangers that might lurk whilst accepting such agreements. Also I praise their humour.

Luckily, the average EULA means absolutely nothing legally.

Hmmm, I think I'd better start reading the EULA in future, if £5 vouchers for Gamestation are at stake... :D

Damn, mine's already owned by three different demons, seven fairies and one eldritch Ancient. Guess I am gonna get sued big time, now. o__o

I always knew Gamestation was run by the devil ¬¬

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.