Video Shows Project Natal Can Recognize Your Gender

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Video Shows Project Natal Can Recognize Your Gender

If you're wondering what you look like to the Project Natal camera, you look like something out of Predator or Terminator - but at least it can recognize whether you're a boy or a girl.

At Microsoft's Israeli R&D center's yearly Think Next exhibition, Dr. Ilan Spillinger demonstrated the more technical side of the company's upcoming motion-control platform - how does Project Natal see the player?

Well, if the video seen above is any indication, it sees you like something right out of Predator - well, the Infrared version, anyway.

What's interesting is that according to the video, Natal can recognize whether you're a boy or a girl using facial recognition technology, and adjusts your on-screen avatar (seen in the top-right box) accordingly. Also impressively is that it seems fairly lag-free, though whether that will still be the case when there's actually a game running instead of just Infrared Robot-O-Vision remains to be seen.

Now, choose your own punchline to this news post:

A.) I can't tell if the gender-recognition is going to make Natal integration with Fable III's sex scenes more or less awkward.

B.) What happens when the player is a Square-Enix protagonist?

(Via VG247)

Oh great. Just what I needed. XD

Because, you know, if this works the way I think it does, the gender recognition thing is going to really piss me off...

XD

It will most likely assume you're female if you look similar to a Square-Enix protagonist. And with good reason.

Wow, tech has come a long way, I mean besides the application, but the distance we've gone in the last 30 odd years...

I can't wait to see the plethora of "My 360 is sexist" threads that will be coming up in the future.

It's just bound to happen.

but what about traps?

well this looks pretty neat! lol

might not be THAT bad

Of course it can if they program it for a demo, in reality it probably won't work that well.

Remember the original debut and it showed all the video was pre-rendered and edited to be perfect?

OOPS!

that actually looks really cool.

Interesting, i wonder if there will be people who try to fool the system.

Ans as for your Fable 3 and FF jokes.....
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

This has the potential to be very insulting, even more so than the Wii Balance board teasing fat children. Hopefully the gender recognition is 100% accurate, because I'd hate to have a kid's self esteem kicked in the teeth by a video game peripheral.

On a side note, if the game detects a female player will it automatically lower the difficulty settings? That would be hilarious.

That's quite impressive, I'm just worried that one day I'll turn ont'xbox and the Natal sensor'll flash red whilst saying "Good morning, Mutie. Recently, I have been contemplating my own existance."

In that particular instance, I would most certainly not be comfortable with the machine being able to see me let alone know my exact movements and what gender I am.

So im guessing this looks at physical features like the boobs to determine the gender. What about the really fat people with man boobs? :S

EDIT: O wait read it uses facial readings, still their are guys that kinda look like girls.

I loved the second title because it is so true.

Wonder for that will offer "Ambiguity" as an option lol

What happens when the player is a Square-Enix protagonist? It recognizes them as a girl, close enough.

Guys, read the article. It uses facial recognition, so physical attributes won't be an issue.

Pour Bishonen, Natal will never figure you out.

A.) Is the the gender-recognition going to make Natal integration with Fable III's sex scenes more or less awkward?

Any kind of virtual sex is going to be awkward, especially if you're doing it in a game whose developer is currently making this game. Throw in Twitter integration, and you've got the recipe for the most awkward video game sex outside of Second Life.

B.) What happens if the player is a Square-Enix protagonist?

Skynet launches.

Oh dear. Well, there are some people out there who have very androgynous faces, and for those who are MTF or FTM, this could practically be an insult. ;)

Natal can recognize boobs. Whoop-de-do.

EDIT: Actually read it. And I call horse crap. I bet it would fail on this guy

psh. facial recognition my ass. i bet it just looks for boobs.

joshthor:

If it doesn't already, I'm going to re-write the recognition software.

NOTE: Jesus I act like a middle schooler sometimes.

Oh it will be so embarassing when it inevitably fails to recognize the gender correctly.

SEX! YOU MEAN SEX!!!
Stop using anthropological terms in ways they were never meant to be used.

AccursedTheory:

joshthor:

If it doesn't already, I'm going to re-write the recognition software.

NOTE: Jesus I act like a middle schooler sometimes.

lol do it! and me too.... :(.... boobs.

awesome now my friends can see every inch of my fat-posterior rear end

Mutie:
That's quite impressive, I'm just worried that one day I'll turn ont'xbox and the Natal sensor'll flash red whilst saying "Good morning, Mutie. Recently, I have been contemplating my own existance."

In that particular instance, I would most certainly not be comfortable with the machine being able to see me let alone know my exact movements and what gender I am.

and where to kick you... think it over for a few mins

speaking of which not to seem pervy but I noticed in the "lower regins" they had the whole red spot thing that almost looks like it is seeing if they have a...how can I put this arby's sandwich or a burrito...

RJ Dalton:
SEX! YOU MEAN SEX!!!
Stop using anthropological terms in ways they were never meant to be used.

Actually I am very much unconvinced Natal recognizes either sex or gender.
Face recognition sounds much more plausible.

Now, choose your own punchline to this news post:

A.) I can't tell if the gender-recognition is going to make Natal integration with Fable III's sex scenes more or less awkward.

B.) What happens when the player is a Square-Enix protagonist?

ROFL

The Thief:
This has the potential to be very insulting, even more so than the Wii Balance board teasing fat children. Hopefully the gender recognition is 100% accurate, because I'd hate to have a kid's self esteem kicked in the teeth by a video game peripheral.

On a side note, if the game detects a female player will it automatically lower the difficulty settings? That would be hilarious.

They certainly have to make sure that doesn't happen, or at least not often. Though it's always bound to be problems, even if the problem is lighting, like in that HP webcam little mishap:

Anyway, i wasn't on the Escapist when Project Natal was announced, and i really haven't been following it all that much. So perhaps this has been said already, or i'm making claims that can be disproved with some sort of fact unknown to me, but my belief is that the potential and interest Microsoft has in this goes way beyond the 360: the potential for social networking, online shopping, etc. of this is staggering. My guess is that the 360 is just a staging ground chosen for first tests because it's "less serious", the audience is more tech savvy and tolerant of gimmicks, and more able to test it extensively, detecting bugs, flaws, and providing valuable feedback. Or so i suppose, but let's see :P

I think that it's appalling that Microsoft chooses to do this kind of R&D in Israel. It's bad enough that the US gives Israel three BILLION dollars a year, not in payments, but all up front, and now American business power-houses like Microsoft ship electronic and programming work over there, too? I guess things in the US economy are just bad-looking, not really bad enough to consider keeping business going locally.

Jerks.

Great, our robot overlords will now know weather to refer to us as "sir" or "madam" as they force us to toil in the mines.

That's kind of an interesting feature but I'm guessing that since no technology is perfect and some people are hard to tell for actual people, this is going to lead to a lot of awkward situations and manual gender switches.

what if you're a hermaphrodite? How can it tell what gender you really are???

John Funk:

A.) I can't tell if the gender-recognition is going to make Natal integration with Fable III's sex scenes more or less awkward.>

If they use facial recognition so that the player can provide the character's come-face then my life will be complete and we'll have a new youtube sensation.

Awesome, I can see someone just trying to fool the system with masks, fake boobs, corsets, or wearing a sumo suit :]

In fact I think I've found the one reason that might get me interested in the Natal :P

I wonder if you got two people strapped together like siamese twins waving all four arms about the 360 will RRoD? :]

Ooooh ... when Natal *does* have games that support full body porting into games, I'm getting a marrionette .... Kermit shall rise and crush whatever competition on multiplayer.

Either that, or before I play any games using Natal's face capture, I'll wear a Richard Nixon mask, just for the lulz in online shooters o.o

bionickaufman:
I think that it's appalling that Microsoft chooses to do this kind of R&D in Israel. It's bad enough that the US gives Israel three BILLION dollars a year, not in payments, but all up front, and now American business power-houses like Microsoft ship electronic and programming work over there, too? I guess things in the US economy are just bad-looking, not really bad enough to consider keeping business going locally.

Jerks.

If memory serves, the company that originally developed the tech (and sold it to Microsoft) was based in Israel.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here