Kojima Unhappy About Peace Walker Censorship

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kojima Unhappy About Peace Walker Censorship

In order to meet Japan's "C" rating for gamers age 15 or older, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker had to have a scene removed, and Hideo Kojima is none too happy.

Kojima Tweeted that in order to meet Japan's teen rating, "a certain scene" Kojima feels is both a "standard element" and "absolutely necessary for MGS" was removed. Had that scene not been cut, the game would have garnered a "D" rating, restricting it to gamers who are 17 or older.

While Kojima was not forthcoming on the actual nature of the deleted scene, he is inviting gamers to compare the Japanese version with the American or European release, neither of which were altered. Kojima further voiced concern over the reason Peace Walker was edited.

"There's tolerance for fantasy games, but for games where you show war or real violence between people, you apparently can't complain about anything. With this, it seems impossible to communicate something through games," Kojima said.

The unedited American release of Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker will receive a "T" rating. It is slated for a June 8 release, and will be for the PSP.

Source: adriasang

Take the "D" rating, if the scene is that important.

He just wants the money from the extra sales. And the in game ads.

Er . . . What's a C rating?

SpaceSpork:

I would presume it's Japan's equivalent of the "T" rating in the US.

SpaceSpork:

It means he didn't study for his test the previous day.

OT: Well thats kind of a shame. But we'll see how big a scene it was in due time.

Am with Kojima.
It's a war game, don't censor anything, just slap an appropriate rating. And also, since it's a Kojima game, I doubt the sensitive material will be there just for cheap shock value...

Let me guess. It's gotta be related to kids, so either Paz gets raped, or Chico gets shot/maimed to death in order to get the compulsory "WAR IS BAD" message through like an anvil ?

Necessary for MGS?

Well i'm assuming it's not boobies, so someone must die graphically.

hes complaining a lot latley isent he?

Indeed he does complain alot.

Really, do we care about your MSG? I don't really, lost interest after the first one, but that game was epic. Or it's the 2nd one, whichever had the amazing mech-battle at the end.

I bet it was sexual or really gore-like.

Onyx Oblivion:
Take the "D" rating, if the scene is that important.
He just wants the money from the extra sales. And the in game ads.

Exactly. This isn't censorship, this is just conflict with the rating system. Censorship is like what they do in Australia or China, and completely refuse to allow certain things to be shown. He had total control over whether or not the scene was cut and he chose to cut it to get a rating he wanted; that's his choice and he shouldn't bitch about it.
Now, if his complaint was really with the rating system and he *was* really interested in making his point, he'd have left the scene in, accepted the higher rating and then complained about the hypocrisy.

If I remember correctly, America is tough on sex, Australia is tough on violence, and Japan is tough on drugs (while the EU is tough on nothing) in games.

If this assumption is true, my bet is on a drug-related torture sequence.

ehh, if he is that worried about it then he should take the "D" Rating.

im pretty sure 15 year olds would of played the game anyway.

i am curios to know what the scene is.
Im thinking it might be along the lines of the same thing MW2 had.
Considering he said...
There's tolerance for fantasy games, but for games where you [b]show war or real violence between people[b], you apparently can't complain about anything. With this, it seems impossible to communicate something through games," Kojima said.

Just my thought.

it was probably the standard Metal Gear torture scene i'm guessing, although it may be a little more extreme this time if Japan censors made a big stink about it this time. but on the other hand, if it was really that bad why would it be rated T in America? (btw i think this is the first time that a main series metal gear game has ever been rated T)

So how is it that the scene is removed for people aged 15+ in Japan, and yet 13-year olds in the U.S. can see it?

Wait, hes not putting it in just so that the age rating is lower?

So he changed it to increase sales?

At least the other versions will have it but... damn... it not good to censor just to get a bigger audience.

Based on the amount of superfluous exposition in MGS games, I don't think Kojima is really the person to talk about what is "absolutely necessary for MGS".
The scene probably wouldn't be missed by anybody but him, had he not twittered about it.

"...communicate something through a game"?

From Kojima? Seriously? He always starts out clear, but midway in (at best) things start getting weird and twisted and by the end it becomes a dribbling stream of delusions and nonsense.

Rect Pola:

From Kojima? Seriously? He always starts out clear, but midway in (at best) things start getting weird and twisted and by the end it becomes a dribbling stream of delusions and nonsense.

I agree, but damn it all if his games aren't fun to play.... when you actually get to play them.

OT- Censorship is what it is. If he did it just to make the rating they were aiming for, he shouldn't bitch. If Konami was the one who pulled the trigger, whine away then.

Rect Pola:

Except for the obvious "WAR IS BAD" and "NUKES ARE BAD"

June the MotherFucking 8th. What The FUCK is this shit. I was told fucking MAY now I have to wait even longer. Seriously this takes the motherfucking piss.

Rant over. What a piss take.

Am I the only one who finds it kind of amusing that something that's acceptable for teenagers in the rest of the world is considered inappropriate for them in Japan? Really makes me curious to find out what this thing is, though not curious enough to spend money on a PSP. I'd buy your game Mr. Kojima, just not a new thing of hardware to play it on.

I can see why he is not impressed, but, whhy not just let it go with the reating it had been given> Makes more sense to me?

If he wants youner people to play it then it really is of his own devices

I guess Kojima thinks that some of Japan's laws don't make censor they would have allowed whatever he wants.

You sure this is right? A MGS game had to remove a scene?!

Well all I can hope is that it doesn't diminish the game and destroy everything I know and love

This MGS is gonna be missing a lot of blood in it to warrant a T rating in the US. But I have to wonder what passes the ESRB and yet doesn't pass the Japanese ratings board, which deals with a lot more mature and erotic stuff than would even be attempted in the US.

Japan is censoring stuff now? Now I've seen everything!

Someone either was smoking a joint, shamelessly showing tits or slicing another person's throat in a slow and bloody manner in the supposedly "bad" scene for it to get taken away.

He's mistaking censorship for editing.

How is this news? Kojima wanted more money, because in the end that's what everyone wants, so he had to cut a scene in Japan to adhere to their rating system so he could target a younger audience. He didn't get his way so he's complaining it's unfair. Boo hoo.

Omega 2521:
Am I the only one who finds it kind of amusing that something that's acceptable for teenagers in the rest of the world is considered inappropriate for them in Japan?.

No I certainly found a slight chuckle in that. I'm willing to bet that the scene is a minor one. Like the others have said, if he wants it so badly just accept the 17+ rating. No doubt the kiddies will get their hands on it if they're desperate enough anyway. They always do.

Only a T in the US, but edited in Japan? Likely a reference to some japanese war crime during WWII because the ESRB info says nothing about anything too offensive but Japan reacted pretty hard...

Yuuup, he's insane. "Oh no! My violent war game has received appropriate ratings! What has the world gone to?"

What kind of statement can these games make? Presumably one that's more fit for people seventeen and older. Unless he thinks the 15-year-olds who see that scene will have their lives forever changed.

Pfft. You can tell the man thinks every scene in his game is utterly crucial. But what I find hilarious is that he doesn't have the artistic integrity to say "alright, we'll just have to suck it in and take a D rating".

sinclose:
Am with Kojima.
It's a war game, don't censor anything, just slap an appropriate rating. And also, since it's a Kojima game, I doubt the sensitive material will be there just for cheap shock value...

You're completely missing the point here- they WERE going to slap an appropriate rating on it (the "D" rating) but Kojima didn't want his audience to be limited to 17+ so he just censored it and started bitching. It's not like it was refused classification.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here