Miyamoto Wants to Make Games Forever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

He may be nearing his sixtieth birthday, but Shigeru Miyamoto doesn't think he'll ever stop making games.

Shigeru Miyamoto is one of the giants of the gaming industry, but now nearly 60, he's starting to think about retirement - more specifically, how he never wants to do it. Miyamoto has been with Nintendo since the late 70's and has no plans to leave any time soon.

"I am one of [Nintendo's] workers and the company has to retire me some time. So from that perspective, yes I may have to retire from Nintendo some day," he said. "But when I look around and see how aged cartoonists continue to work on their manga and how movie directors create new movies all the time, I understand that they would never retire."

"And by the same token," he added. "I guess I will still be making games somehow. The only question is whether the younger people will be willing to work with me at that far point in the future."

Source: GamaSutra

And somehow he still looks eighteen years old. I'll buy your games until one of us is dead, Miyamoto!

Well his job is keeping him looking young. its like my Shop Teacher once said: "do what you love and you never work a day."

Edit: And yes he will still be getting my munny.

News just in!: Nintendo starting work on Miyamotorobo, A perfect, mechanical replica of Miyamoto to store and maintain his brain so that future generations as far the year 4000 can play the same four Nintendo games, again and again.

Although in fairness to the guy, if he genuinely enjoys his job enough to never want to stop, then I hope he manages to find a way.

Logan Westbrook:
"I guess I will still be making games somehow. The only question is whether the younger people will be willing to work with me at that far point in the future."

I bet you this guy will become the Jay Leno of gaming?

... I want his Shirt.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear it, and it's always nice to hear of someone who loves their Job that much.

I hope he continues to make games, even if he retires i hope he will remain in the process.

He is one of the few people who i truly respect in the Game industry, throughout all the time he has been with Nintendo he has stayed true to himself.
He has been a great example to others in the industry and he really cares about his games and the people playing them.

Here is to you Miyamoto-san(raises glass), and to another 60 years of Games!

(i still cant get over how old he is, he looks like he is still in his 40s!)

Gigaguy64:
I hope he continues to make games, even if he retires i hope he will remain in the process.

He is one of the few people who i truly respect in the Game industry, throughout all the time he has been with Nintendo he has stayed true to himself.
He has been a great example to others in the industry and he really cares about his games and the people playing them.

Wait, he's seriously that old? I mean, it makes sense, but... still.
Anyway, Miyamoto pretty much owned my childhood, and that's a trend continuing well into my teen years and probably twenties as well (Who am I kidding? I still haven't 100% completed Galaxy...). Miyamoto makes addicting games, and I'll keep buying them.
I like his games more than my brief run with crack at any rate.

Well he very much could keep making games forever because...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Well good for him. It's rare to find a job you're both good at and love doing. Keep up the good work Miyamoto!

Logan Westbrook:

He may be nearing his sixtieth birthday, but Shigeru Miyamoto doesn't think he'll ever stop making games.

"And by the same token," he added. "I guess I will still be making games somehow. The only question is whether the younger people will be willing to work with me at that far point in the future."

Be willing to work with him? I figure people would kill to work with him.

TheNumber1Zero:
... I want his Shirt.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear it, and it's always nice to hear of someone who loves their Job that much.

go to hot topic, i see them in there all the time.

OT: He has a good dream, and i like that.

It's great to hear that someone has such a passion for their work like this. I hopehe keeps making games, and if he does, I'll support him.

Xzi:
And somehow he still looks eighteen years old. I'll buy your games until one of us is dead, Miyamoto!

I place my bet on Miyamoto.

OT: Aww, just for me?
No foolin'?

Brain_Cleanser:

Gigaguy64:

Wait, he's seriously that old? I mean, it makes sense, but... still.
Anyway, Miyamoto pretty much owned my childhood, and that's a trend continuing well into my teen years and probably twenties as well (Who am I kidding? I still haven't 100% completed Galaxy...). Miyamoto makes addicting games, and I'll keep buying them.
I like his games more than my brief run with crack at any rate.

Yep, not quite 60, he is 58 years old.
And yea, Nintendo was the only games i had as a kid and i loved them.
ill probably stick with Nintendo till i die, i actually hope i can give my old systems to my Kids/Grandkids someday and show them how much Gaming as Evolved because of people like him.
(as soon as im done talking they would probably go back to plying their completely 3d games on Nintendo's Console that you wear.)
:P

The guy looks pretty good for 60!

Dispite his very high waist line.

Brad Shepard:
Go to hot topic, I see them in there all the time.

Where do you think I got my Bioshock 2 shirt?

I may detest the place itself, but it tends to have a decent selection of Game-Based apparel.

Triggerhappy938:

Logan Westbrook:

Be willing to work with him? I figure people would kill to work with him.

If i ever got into the Game business i would be lying if i told you i wouldn't consider it...
._.
What?

Heck id do just about anything just to meet him.

This just made my day... evening... whatever.

TheNumber1Zero:
... I want his Shirt.

Holy crap! I have that shirt!

Archemetis:
News just in!: Nintendo starting work on Miyamotorobo, A prefect, mechanical replica of Miyamoto to store and maintain his brain so that future generations as far the year 4000 can play the same four Nintendo games, again and again.

Although in fairness to the guy, if he genuinely enjoys his job enough to never want to stop, them I hope he manages to find a way.

LOL.

All I have to say. What I do admire is his will and passion to keep making these games. Now, I hope he makes games where he doesn't churn out games with "mario" and who ever they recycled 9000+ times.

Well he will just keep making the same games over and over, mind you the games are all really damn fun but it would be nice to see a new original IP from nintendo at some point.

Magnalian:

You have something I desire...

Sleep with 1 eye open.

Miyamoto I'm glad you don't plan to quit! We need to find the key to immortality so this man can make games forever!

He's almost 60?

He still looks the same he did 30 years ago.

Fair play to him he's made tons of kick arse games

There is a man that does what he loves and loves what he does!

I hope he does continue, it will go to prove despite age, you can still be epic awesome.

TheNumber1Zero:

Magnalian:

You have something I desire...

Sleep with 1 eye open.

Well, the joke's on you, I already do that! When you're as awesome as me, you're bound to have some enemies.

If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life.

Miyamoto is one of those guys.

Nothing but respect Miyamoto-sama.

Arigatou Gozaimasu.

(Thank you, Hello, and Fool are the only Japanese words I consistently remember.)

Archemetis:
News just in!: Nintendo starting work on Miyamotorobo, A perfect, mechanical replica of Miyamoto to store and maintain his brain so that future generations as far the year 4000 can play the same four Nintendo games, again and again.

Although in fairness to the guy, if he genuinely enjoys his job enough to never want to stop, then I hope he manages to find a way.

I agree. Seriously, INNOVATE! However, HAVE FUN INNOVATING!

Archemetis:
News just in!: Nintendo starting work on Miyamotorobo, A prefect, mechanical replica of Miyamoto to store and maintain his brain so that future generations as far the year 4000 can play the same four Nintendo games, again and again.

Walt Disney already has his entire head preserved under Magic Kingdom in his amusement park.

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/walt-vs-elian.html

I just hope he doesn't feed on children.

By golly, the day that Miyamoto retire's from Nintendo... that will be quite a day...

Hey, some people age like wine, getting all fermented and whatnot. Others age like teak, becoming harder and more profound. Others yet may just become venerable elders, living examples of what needs to be done to keep things going.

I can imagine them finding Miyamoto-san in his office one morning, dead of a heart attack.
"Huh," they'll say. "I guess *this* was the last game he's going to work on."

I'll never stop idolising this man.
And he's nearing sixty? Bullshit he's barely SIXTEEN, look at him!

Wow my RSS feed says he both wants to make games forever AND talks about retiring!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here