PETA Tries to Guilt Animals Out of Mafia Wars

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

PETA Tries to Guilt Animals Out of Mafia Wars

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has appealed to Zynga founder Mark Pincus' love of his late bulldog and asked him to rethink the plan to add animals like pit bulls and tigers to the popular Facebook game Mafia Wars.

Zynga revealed earlier this week that animals like lions, tigers and pit bulls will be coming to Mafia Wars next week. The beasts will be included in their own "combat item class," with existing animals moved to that category, and will be available for use in "fights and robbing." It seems perfectly reasonable to me; after all, no stroll through the hood is complete without some blinged-up dumbass trying to impress the world with his ownership of a vicious dog he can barely keep under control. (Not sure how the lions and tigers fit in, though.) But PETA is a little less fond of the idea.

"'Bully breeds' like your beloved late American bulldog, Zinga, are also the breeds of choice for dogfighters and thugs who want a 'macho' animal to intimidate others, guard their property, or make them money by winning fights," the group said in a letter to Pincus. "Every day, PETA staffers meet dogs who have been trapped for years at the end of heavy tractor-trailer chains with nothing but bare patches of dirt and plastic barrels for shelter."

"These dogs are usually full of heartworms, emaciated, and scarred all over," it continued. "They are often physically abused and starved, sometimes to death, for losing in illegal dogfights or for being 'bad guards' or 'not mean enough.' The people who acquire them do so because they have been taught that having one of these dogs is 'cool' and 'tough,' but they have no idea about the care and feelings of the animal they have enslaved."

PETA seems to be gambling that memories of Pincus' "beloved" dog will tug at his heartstrings enough to make him change his mind. It probably won't work, but it's a smart shot to take: When Pincus founded the company in 2007, he named it after his dog, Zinga.

Source: Kotaku

Oh, you!

silly PETA

Isn't PETA just a bunch of hypocritical morons? That's what I always hear.

archvile93:

Eh. More or less.

I would respect them if their overall goal was, say to treat animals well. But their actual goal of "animal liberation" as the many people who quoted me said, and how they pursue it... thats a little questionable. Like batshit insane supporting terrorist acts questionable.

EDIT: Thanks to all the people who corrected me on what PETA actually does. I thought they just wanted animals to be treated better, not all the batshit crazy stuff they apparently do...

It's a game, the animals don't even exist.
What the hell?

Besides, last time I checked, PETA murdered more animals than meat eaters did.

Irridium:

archvile93:

Eh. More or less.

I can respect their overall goal, which is to treat animals well. But how they pursue it... thats a little questionable.

Agreed. My girlfriend would love to join PETA if it were not for the fact that, quote, "It were full of crazies and dumbasses."

When will PeTA learn that no one gives a fuck what they have to say, not since they started funding terrorists and making disgusting comparisons to the Holocaust. Those sick fucks.

How would loving a pet make somebody as intelligent as Pincus (and yes, he is smart, look how successful Zynga has become) sign up with the crazies at PETA?

PETFC - People for the Ethical Treatment of Fictional Characters.

PETA has always been, and always will be, on my shitlist.

Seriously, what the hell do they hope will happen if they take animals out of Mafia Wars? That people will become vegetarians?

It's like their campaign to rename fish "Sea Kittens" it's such a fucking joke.

Ah, PETA, it's been too long since you've shown your batshit crazy face to the world, I suppose?

Also; Hah... he named the company after his dog... that's actually pretty cute.

PumpItUp:
When will PeTA learn that no one gives a fuck what they have to say, not since they started funding terrorists and making disgusting comparisons to the Holocaust. Those sick fucks.

QFT

and when they finally do something non violent or offensive, it's something completely idiotic like trying to get animals out of a browser based game, or rename fish "sea kittens" rofl.

PETA.

You fools.

Clearly, Farmville has more animal abuse.

Well, I will post what I always post whenever I see PETA:

Yet more lies from the most hypocritical, attention/money whoring organisation shat into existance since Scientology.

For an organisation that seems to obsessed with trying to correct how we live, they sure do enjoy euthanizing many of the animals they "rescue."

The animals aren't even real. What the hell are they complaining about? I don't hear them complaining about people being Mafia Wars. Goddamn, I hate PETA.

Too bad none of that crap PETA mentioned has anything to do with a facebook app.

PETA has an admirable goal, like most/all animal rights organisations.
Their methods however, are always sensationalist and often sexist.

Awww, even unscrupulous evil has a soft spot.

I'm referring to Pincus of course.

You know, remember he admitted he was scamming everyone? There was an article here. It was official and everything!

I'd refer to PETA as well-intentioned extremists, although I can't stand violent animal rights activists.

"I'm going to save this beautiful endangered creature, by attacking a sapient being."

Hooray! Productive action!

Wow. A PETA campaign that isn't totally inappropriate. If only they would do this to non-fictional animal protests.

danpascooch:

Seriously, what the hell do they hope will happen if they take animals out of Mafia Wars? That people will become vegetarians?

I could care less what they're called.
Sea Kittens or otherwise, they are delicious!

OT: Oh no! Fake animal are being hurt in a game about ORGANIZED CRIME. Jesus Christ.

Mackheath:
Well, I will post what I always post whenever I see PETA:

Yet more lies from the most hypocritical, attention/money whoring organization shat into existence since Scientology.

For an organization that seems to obsessed with trying to correct how we live, they sure do enjoy euthanize many of the animals they "rescue."

Over 90% of the animals they 'rescue' are Euthanize. Hypocrites indeed.

Also, the leader of PETA has been quoted on how it is incredibly oppressive and bigoted of humans to breed with only other humans. Yes, you read that correctly.

Fucking joke man. Why give a good cause such a bad name.

Calhoun347:

danpascooch:

OT: Oh no! Fake animal are being hurt in a game about ORGANIZED CRIME. Jesus Christ.

Since when did humans have rights? Silly you!

I do like that they have completely ignored all the violence directed against humans, which I'm sure is far worse and more widespread in the game.

I do wish Animals would get treated better in real life, but as usual PETA chooses a very stupid outlet for their extremist views.

The animals are not real.

They are not alive.

They are just graphics, combined with data and maybe at most a sound file. THAT'S IT!

That's not PETA, that's PETCD: People For The Ethical Treatment of Computer Data.

Calhoun347:

danpascooch:

Exactly my point, they're idiots.

So they get all nicey nice when it involves fictional animals in a browser game, but when it involves real live-action animals they get a insane and start throwing blood on everyone. Yeah real smart there ya dumbasses.

Well, if I ever do some thing creative or some thing famous, and I one day had an animal to it (most likely virtual) and I catch the attention of the PETA, I'm going to honestly reply to there message with and I quote "Shut up you pilloks".

Booze Zombie:
Besides, last time I checked, PETA murdered more animals than meat eaters did.

They do. They are the murderers, not the factories that produce meat from pigs and bulls and whatever (at least they're humanely euthanized or already dead of natural causes).

PETA complains about a Zynga game. Escapist commenters bash PETA. Although, to be fair, had No Russian taken place in a zoo, I imagine people will be bashing the inevitable PETA campaign as well.

The amount of ignorance in these comments is a bit alarming. The reason they're against this inclusion is to stop the promotion of animals as weapons. All the points they make in their statement are true, but I guess it's down to the individual to decide whether or not they agree or not.

A lot of the allegations against PETA that you mention ("don't breed with humans", renaming fish 'sea kittens') were either done light-heartedly or taken out of context.

HOWEVER PETA pretty much is the crazed militant uncle of the animal-rights world: we appreciate their hands-on protests and eye-opening investigations, but they've suffered so much PR setback that they can't help but be more than a joke in most people's eyes, which is a damn shame.

*Facepalm* Yep, PETA are idiots.

archvile93:

Yes. Or more accurately, very loud, obnxious hypocritical morons.

Ha! Everyone knows that Pincus no longer has a heart, or soul. PeTA, please go away.

OMG!!! PETA, lol, its fictional and its riduculous to go against it. *facepalm to PETA*

Come on PETA, don't waste your time and resources on this.
Can you seriously tell children to let go of their pet dogs?
Then what more of these digital animals no one gives a shit about?
Ugghhh, no thinky thinky much?

archvile93:

Yeah pretty much.
For example: PETA always bitches whenever any humane society is forced to euthanize an animal (after exhausting all other options), whilst PETA euthanizes over 2/3 of the animals it brings in (without even looking for other options).

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here