Blippy Blabs Credit Card Numbers All Over the Internet

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blippy Blabs Credit Card Numbers All Over the Internet

Remember back in January when we mentioned Blippy, the ridiculous social networking site that lets you tell the world about everything you buy? Turns out that it's also a great way to tell the world your credit card numbers.

Earlier this year we talked a bit about Blippy. Simply put, it works like this: You create an account and attach your personal financial information to it, like your credit card numbers, and then whenever you make a purchase with one of your cards, it's posted in a Twitter-like fashion to the Blippy site for all the world to see. Why would you want to do this? Because you're a desperate attention whore with no sense of discretion, a point we covered in our original report.

Anyway, the past couple of days have been a classic good news/bad news scenario for Blippy. Good news: On April 22, the company announced in a New York Times story that it had raised $11 million in venture capital. Bad news: On April 23, somebody figured out that a whole lot of credit card numbers belonging to Blippy users had been plastered all over the internet and were just waiting to be dug up by anyone with a working knowledge of how to spell "Google."

That, as my dad likes to say, is not good news. Not for the cardholders and certainly not for Blippy, which will no doubt find itself exposed to no end of legal unpleasantness as a result of this oddly hilarious oversight. A lawyer who spoke anonymously to VentureBeat said the company needs to brace not just for an onslaught of angry customers but also for the U.S. government, since it may have failed to comply with FTC rules on protecting customer privacy.

"Noncompliance could open a company up to an FTC law enforcement action, including civil penalties and injunctive relief," the lawyer said. That could mean anything from hefty fines to being forced to close down. Blippy seems to have put a lid on most if not all of the rogue information, but don't worry: At least one public forum has posted lists of the numbers, along with cardholder names, and they're not bothering to redact anything.

One final kick in the junk: Because it's now public knowledge that Blippy has more than $11 million kicking around, VentureBeat said "the odds are higher than before that lawyers will look for ways to sue." Boy, that's the kind of bad luck and crappy timing you just don't see every day.

I see...

Hold on while I go on Google for just a minute.

*5 minutes later*

Finally I could buy that Uncharted 2 limited edition artbook.

How did I get the money, you ask? Uhm... Charity.

ON TO THE ARTICLE!

I knew something like this would happen. Well... something similar.... At least something bad for blippy!

Although my prediction was that it would ruin Christmas.

It is always a welcome sight to see idiots punished for being stupid.

This IS good news.

Well that was a collosal cock-up.

Relevant and useful post:
Well they have messed up big time there.
Because from what it seems, they're going to be shut down, and the owners could face a hefty fine or even jail time. (I don't know how the American legal system works for things like this)
But it's wuote a good reason to not give your credit card details out to people online.

I feel really sorry for anyone who has been hit by the inevitable wave of identity theft or whatever it's called when someone steals your details.

And is anyone really surprised about this? Anyone at all?

If your surprised that putting your financial information online on a new website that tracks your purchase history, then kindly leave the internet.

what...how.....but......can.....what?

How can anyone with at least 1/3 of a brain think that doing something like putting your Credit Card number on the internet is a good idea?

I hope these people learn their lesson.
(probably wont......)

Wow.

See what being starved for attention gets you?

A big stamp that says "I'm a Dumbass" on it.

Sometimes life provides the best comedy. I can't stop smiling.

I knew it was going to be a bad idea...well, thats what you get if you wanted the world to know so much about you...

Heh, you really are a generic retard for every signing up for this shit. I cannot grasp the concept or appeal of this. Seriously, now you are owned with good reason. That's good news.

I hope all that 11 million dollar gets taken away.

I really can't feel sorry for the people who thought using Blippy was a good thing. I have to wonder how many trustfund babies are using it and now are probably wondering if they should cancel their cards or not.

xD Hmmm I'm feeling a mixture of pity and happiness. It's really hard for me to not smile at this.

God i hate social networking sites and this has to be the worst of all of em. Who the fuck cares what you bought? People are constantly complaining about their privacy (in US atleast) and then they hop on facebook or twitter and post everything about them for everyone to see. So many people are voluntarily playing Big Brother on themselves.

Who needs "Big Brother" when you can get people to do it to themselves. /Sigh.

... Why? Why? Why would you even...? Why?

I seriously can't think of even a tiny, rational explanation for putting your credit card purchases on a website for the world to see. One major part of me is screaming out "who the BLOODY HELL cares?!" I thought I'd met some of the stupidest people in this world, clearly, I was wrong. It's their own fault if they get money stolen from them. Completely their own.

Andy Chalk:
I sure won't be above pointing and laughing if it all comes crashing down on someone.

What a fucking prophet.

Oooooo...

Let me stop by Blippy and then make my way to eBay! Hells yeah!

Irridium:

If your surprised that putting your financial information online on a new website that tracks your purchase history, then kindly leave the internet.

but if they left the internet, we wouldnt have the lulz that keeps it going!

dear god, imagine if any of the *chans got a hold of this? 9,001 pizzas delivered to the cardholders house with their own credit card.

Lol, what idiot would sign up for that anyway?

The timing of them announcing they have money is HILARIOUS

EDIT: what exactly does "on google" mean, people google search Blippy and get credit card numbers?

nvm, found the info:
A Google search for the exact phrase "from card" in conjunction with the site: operator to restrict the search to the blippy.com domain turned up the four credit card numbers for purchases made at merchants such as Audible, Exxon Mobile, Pizza Hut, iHop, Kroger's, Starbucks, Wendy's, and numerous others.

google took them down already, but people have posted lists of the numbers

Hubilub:

Yes, I myself have received an anonymous donation towards my yacht fund.

Kalezian:

Irridium:

but if they left the internet, we wouldnt have the lulz that keeps it going!

dear god, imagine if any of the *chans got a hold of this? 9,001 pizzas delivered to the cardholders house with their own credit card.

Don't worry. There are still plenty of lulz around. Thats what facebook is for ;)

What kind of moronic, attention-whoring asshat would use this kind of service? Jesus Christ, I've heard of some retarded things in my day, but this might take the cake as the dumbest company in the history of the world. The people who signed up for this service? Even dumber.

After some digging, I found a list of the credit card numbers, I am literally sitting here with a text document open with 15 valid credit card numbers, I'm not stupid enough to try to do anything with them, and I am not going to share them with anyone (that's right, I'm not a freaking crook, you should be ashamed!)I just wanted to see if I could find them, and I could.

This is a disaster, sucks to be a Blippy user right now!

I would never put my credit card numbers up on a site like blippy. Actually i think that those who are stupid enough to do that deserves to get their credit cards exposed...

You know, everyone is saying that Blippy users are stupid, but I think some of them may actually be absolute geniuses, I mean, with a service like this, a leak was inevitable, and that opens them up to a lucrative lawsuit.

Ha serves them right for being so stupid.

Onto the correct topic:

Did they really think that would be a good idea? It's obvious they didn't especially with the amount of hackers and identity thieves that exist today.

That must definitely rate high on the list of bad timings. Still, how did a stupid idea like that ever raise $11 million? I wish my stupid ideas got just 10% of that...

Really, did anybody NOT see this comeing?

"Why would you want to do this? Because you're a desperate attention whore with no sense of discretion, a point we covered in our original report."

You Sir, have just won an Internet.

You know...I would really, really like to say I feel sorry for the folks who are undoubtedly about to get ripped off and face a long hassle of restoring their credit.

But I really don't. If you don't have enough common sense to realize that putting your financial info on a social networking site isn't godawful stupid, you deserve everything that happens to you.

This is hilarious. That's what happens when you're a dipshit, kids.

Blippy has fucked up.

And it was stupid to begin with. If you use Blippy, you were asking for this to happen.

Susan Arendt:
You know...I would really, really like to say I feel sorry for the folks who are undoubtedly about to get ripped off and face a long hassle of restoring their credit.

But I really don't. If you don't have enough common sense to realize that putting your financial info on a social networking site isn't godawful stupid, you deserve everything that happens to you.

Agreed, I say we give them all honorary Darwin Awards. Or that the escapist makes a similar award for extreme stupidity, and then give it to these people.

Susan Arendt:

You mean like women who wear skimpy dresses deserve to be raped?

Bullshit. Nobody deserves criminal acts being done to them, and saying otherwise is being a complete jack-ass.

Cpt_Oblivious:

Hubilub:

Yes, I myself have received an anonymous donation towards my yacht fund.

And i have got a generous donation to my anime collection from a anonymous donor.............

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here