Has Apple Imposed a Lifetime iPad Limit?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Has Apple Imposed a Lifetime iPad Limit?

Might not want to break your iPad: One Internet denizen is claiming that Apple told him he had reached his "lifetime limit" on the device after buying several for friends living internationally.

Okay, right off the bat, have a disclaimer: There is no way of knowing whether any of this is true or not. All we have is the word of one blogger that this happened - it might be an embellished "the fish was this big" story, it might be an outright fabrication. Even so, it's a fairly interesting story:

A blogger at Protocol Snow claims that he has been banned from ever buying Apple's shiny new iPad again. The story according to said blogger is that he was friends with several international members of the NeoGAF gaming community who were Apple fans and intended on picking up the tablet when it was released.

However, when Apple delayed the international launch by a month, said friends panicked at the thought of having to wait four more weeks - so the Protocol Snow writer offered to buy the gadget for them and ship it overseas. However, upon returning to the store a third time (dealing with the two-at-a-time limit), he says that he learned he wasn't allowed to purchase any more iPads - ever again.

Me (nonchalantly) - "Is there an issue?"

He's still staring at his monitor and a few seconds pass before Guy #2 carefully says, "There is a limit to the number of iPads that customers can buy."

Me (playing dumb) - "Oh, is that right? What's the limit?"

Guy #2 - "Only 2 per customer."

Ok, so the gig is up. I stand around waiting for a bit and was preparing to leave when Guy #1 returns.

Guy #1 - "I'm sorry sir, but you have reached your lifetime limit of iPad purchases and will not be allowed to buy any more."

Me (anticipating that statement) - "Is the iPad limit per person? Per credit card? Per household?"

Guy #1 - "All I can say is that you have reached your lifetime limit."

So there you have it: According to this blogger, Apple has a lifetime limit on how many iPads any one person can buy.

Questionable source aside, I'm not sure I buy this. It makes perfect sense for Apple to limit the number a person can buy at any one session: It's a new product in high demand, and they'd probably rather keep the iPads off of eBay and other auction sites if at all possible. You don't want anyone with a few dozen grand to burn sweeping into a store and buying out all the stock at once - and turning around and reselling it - right?

But a lifetime ban? Why would any company tell consumers "No, you can't buy any more of our products"? What, were they not pretentious enough for Apple? It doesn't make sense for any company, let alone one as business-savvy as the House of Jobs.

It's possible that it is true, and this is just a case of Apple coming down hard once more. More likely, though, I see one of three scenarios: 1.) The Apple Store employees perhaps didn't understand the policy; 2.) The blogger didn't understand what he was being told; 3.) It's all made up.

But, if it were true, what would it mean? I suppose that even if Apple were barring you from purchasing a new iPad, you could always send your cat to do it for you.

(Via BlogTechnical)

Wow. Economically speaking that's just the strangest damn thing I've ever heard. I mean only being able to buy 2 at a time will deter a little of the reselling but you'll never be able to get rid of it. Unless they like.... increased production. Why is there never enough product?

Anyway, if that's true, that's a really weird policy on Apple's fault. It's like they are saying that they don't want any more of my money at a certain point.

I don't buy this - they're essentially blocking extra profit for no reason.

The guy was probably banned since he was going around the international release date. Man would I make fun of apple folks if this was true for everyone.

I wouldn't trust anything some kid working in an Apple store says-- it sounds like an error came up and he interpreted it as being a lifetime limit. A couple of clueless cash-register peons are hardly a credible source for any of Apple's marketing strategies.

Why would apple do that? Economically it makes no sense and right now all that matters to them is the economy.

Wait, what?

Thats very odd, surely such a move would be a disaster on Apple's behalf? I don't buy it. (literally, I have no intention of getting an iPad :P)

And they say 'lifetime' ban... does that mean he's not even allowed to buy (theoretical) next-gen iPads?

John Funk:
Okay, right off the bat, have a disclaimer: There is no way of knowing whether any of this is true or not.

why bother posting it then? have the escapist articles really sunk to a tabloid low?

Ok, so say you bought one for yourself and then your significant other would like one for birthday/christmas etc. Then say you have a child who would like one for one occasion or another; you're screwed.

Buying more than two iPads is perfectly understandable.

God I hate Apple.

What? Are they even allowed to do that?

theklng:

John Funk:
Okay, right off the bat, have a disclaimer: There is no way of knowing whether any of this is true or not.

why bother posting it then? have the escapist articles really sunk to a tabloid low?

Because if true, it'd certainly be newsworthy. It's the same as reporting on rumors - take it all with a grain of salt, but consider the possibilities.

I seriously doubt its true. It would make no sense economically, and through common sense too.

This is fake, for sure

I bet it's just a temporary thing, while they beef up the stock with more and as we await the international release date. I'll definitely change, no doubt.

Jonny49:
What? Are they even allowed to do that?

Oh yeah, there's nothing saying a business has to sell you anything. Any business can refuse to serve you for no particular reason. It makes little sense to do this (you'd think a tech head raving about their newest toy would make them happy) but they'd be well within their right to do it.

I thought the limit was like "there is a limit to how many iPads they can make before they have to stop and make something useful, like a sharp pencil you could use to stab yourself in the eye every time Steve Jobs starts acting like he's the greatest fucker on the planet."

If I worked at Apple, I wouldn't care if there was one guy who wanted a hundred thousand iPads so he could build a shack with them, all I'd care about is making sure that my product sold well enough for me to eat, sleep, and shit comfortably.

It is true, this was reported on a few days ago. The guy was buying iPads and selling them for a markup in other countries that don't have it yet. Yea it sucks but who as an individual is actually going to buy 10 iPads?

Not a chance. I'm 90 percent sure that the guy just misunderstood the store telling him that they are limiting iPad sales while supplies are low, and theres about a 10 percent chance it's a wild fabrication. There's no way to enforce this. Walk into your local electronics store with a prepaid card, a wad of cash, or a different credit card, maybe to a joint account. Buy the iPad. Leave. Or even get a buddy to go buy you one. There is no way to enforce this attempt to sell less product.

why would anyone want an ipad?

it's fake, no one wants an iPad. -_-

silver wolf009:
Why would apple do that? Economically it makes no sense and right now all that matters to them is the economy.

Why would they send 40% of third-party code developers for apps/games to their death by blocking Flash and Java?

Unless this can be backed up by an official source, I'm ready to call this BS. After all, what reasonable company is going to limit their profits over a customers lifetime?

eBay?

Seriously. Even if there was a limit, it's easy to get around.

I would ask to talk to someone who isn't a mindless peon and see what they have to say. If they say the same thing, tell them to get steve jobs himself in there and tell him he has lost a lifetime customer to his face. That will get this so called limit removed.

John Funk:
But a lifetime ban? Why would any company tell consumers "No, you can't buy any more of our products"?

Let's just ignore the bad business decisions aspect of it for a second... how would they even enforce such a ban?

It's not like you have to give a scan of your retina and a DNA sample for authentication when buying an iPad, or am I missing something?

It's probably one of those limit x to person things, and the blogger thought it was imposed by apple when it was really imposed by the store.

this seems silly. I can't believe a company as economically savvy as Apple would do something so stupid and prone to critical backfire.

That's about as logical as giving a sperm whale your car keys and telling you to drive to A&E before you bleed to death from a sneeze

Apple = Company. Company + customer limit on products = Dead Company.

A *lifetime* ban???? I hate to say this, but I'm a bit skeptical. Even though Apple is probably far from having a customer shortage, they wouldn't risk alienating their buyers this way. I can understand them wanting to try to limit reselling, but the thing is that the iPad is in high demand (I'm still trying to figure out exactly why, but there it is), and there are going to be people buying extras for their friends or relatives living abroad. Heck, I know I've bought the occasional gadgets for friends in Europe. Not to mention that they'd be hard pressed to enforce such a ban. All you'd have to do is use another credit card, or change stores. They're not filing fingerprints after all. Yet.
In short... Not buying it. Not unless Apple issues some sort of official announcement. Which they won't.

John Funk:

theklng:

John Funk:

Because if true, it'd certainly be newsworthy. It's the same as reporting on rumors - take it all with a grain of salt, but consider the possibilities.

Strangely enough, Alyssa Milano has already twittered that her pre-order of Ipad's were cancelled because she'd tried to buy more than 2. Not reduced down to 1, but cancelled.

While this does sound strange, there have been business models that deliberately do this to drive need. And there also have been real idiots at Apple HQ.

This has to be just temporary until they come out internationally. If not, it has to be one of the worst business moves in history.

I seriously doubt there is a 'lifetime' limit. Probably they were concerned with this guy buying them to sell on Ebay. I mean, if you walk into some other Apple store with cash. Do they check you damn ID when you buy it? Do they turn you away if you don't have a valid ID?

Leo Laporte has mentioned several times that he can't buy any more iPads from store.apple.com after buying 8. He has to send employees down to the retail store for any more of them.

I wonder how many of their sales will now be from people testing this story.

dthree:
Leo Laporte has mentioned several times that he can't buy any more iPads from store.apple.com after buying 8. He has to send employees down to the retail store for any more of them.

Yes he has, meaning the guys in the article is lying.
Also it's pretty funny that a person buying 2 ipads is so rare that this rumor gained force.

theklng:

John Funk:

A tabloid is actually the size of the newspaper, not the kind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabloid

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.