WiiWare Takes a Descent Into Gaming History

Pages 1 2 NEXT

WiiWare Takes a Descent Into Gaming History

Do you have a hankering to play classic 1995 not-quite-space shooter Descent these days? If you do, you ought to keep an eye out on WiiWare.

1995's Descent was quite a few things. It was (and is) a beloved retro classic, held up as a member of the heyday of space shooters. It was a nausea-slash-vertigo simulator for some, who found themselves getting lost in the endless mine tunnels of the Solar System. It was the beginning of a franchise that led to what is considered by some to be the finest space shooter ever made: Descent: Freespace.

Oh, and it's also coming to the Nintendo Wii as WiiWare.

That's right, you'll be flying your MD1032 Material Defender through the series' six degrees of movement (up/down, left/right, forward/backward) with the Wii Remote. "Descent remains the most popular 1080 degree 3D blasting game. Translating its 3D worlds and gameplay to WiiWare is an exciting move", said Herve Caen, CEO of Interplay.

I don't disagree with Caen's statement, but isn't "1080 degree 3D blasting game" kind of, er, specific?

"Descent will pair perfectly with the motion-sensing Wii Remote controller and we can't wait to show players how intuitive the gameplay and control can be," said Scott Hawkins, founder of G1M2, the developer that will be working with Interplay on the project.

I know I can't wait to get lost in a dizzying series of tunnels all over again! Who's with me?

(Via IGN)

I used to love that game, when I was 14. I had an uncle who had it and had a balst with it. I don't think it will age well though.

I was one of those players who would get lost and turned around every two minutes though. Then I get shot by something and just chase after it.

Playstation 1 nastolgia AHOY! But the Wiimote might take away from that. I don't know, we'll see.

I remember this game being hard as balls. The hardest difficulty would usually kill you in the first room. The coolest thing about it was the utilization of all three movement axes, though. I wonder what the control scheme will be.

Unmentioned is the fact that the Wii will be strained to keep up with the 1995 sci-fi classic's graphics and fast paced gameplay.

DrunkWithPower:
Playstation 1 nastolgia AHOY! But the Wiimote might take away from that. I don't know, we'll see.

Not all WiiWare games use the Wiimote. Some use the Classic or the Gamecube Controller

Descent was a wonderful game back in the day. I remember trying to raid my cousin's computer anytime I could to play his copy. I still remember the level 8 boss that would spank my butt all the time.

I found the controls difficult enough with a keyboard (numpad ftw), dunno how it will translate to Wii controllers.

I'd recommend people to head over to Good Old Games, where you can get Descent 1+2 for less than $6. Then, you can go look over at D2X-XL for a look at a hi-res overhaul.

SHIT TO THA YES

FUCK, NOW I HAVE TO BUY A WII!

Andy_Panthro:
I found the controls difficult enough with a keyboard (numpad ftw), dunno how it will translate to Wii controllers.

I'm very curious to see how they do it. As far as the original game goes, the ONLY way to play is with a Thrustmaster joystick! I remember dropping $80 on one of those bad boys just for this one game!

Andy_Panthro:

I'd recommend people to head over to Good Old Games, where you can get Descent 1+2 for less than $6. Then, you can go look over at D2X-XL for a look at a hi-res overhaul.

That is sound advice. I still call it good news that Descent is coming ot the Wii, though. When it comes to porting retro games, a somewhat obscure PC game feels like a much more interesting addition than another SNES or N64 classic everybody has bought half a dozen times already.

Oh man!
I LOVED Descent! It was so freaking good!
It was my favourite Modem game to play with my friends!

"Hey, ok I'm ready. I'll hang up, wait 20 seconds, and call you. Don't answer the phone, ok?"
"MOM! I'm expecting a call! Don't answer the phone when it rings!"
Cue modem sounds!

Awesome. I loved that game.
We need to get this on XBLA!

That is so cool! Ill be D/Ling this on my friends Wii as it will be epic!

Descent is coming back?!

The only other game that could ever top this is Oddworld, and that's saying quite a lot.

This brings back bad memories of getting completely disorientated and forgetting which way was out when escaping the levels after the boss fight. That and keeping all of the missiles vulcan cannon ammo and bombs for situations in which I never used them because I always figured there would be something worse around the corner. That and Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold are the games that are responsible for my hoarding of weapons in games

Ah, Descent. Brings back memories, it does.

I was always scared of this game. So many times i crashed into walls or other objects... and yet i kept playing...
But not really excited about Wii-remake. First i dont have Wii, second it would probably ruin the beutifully frightening memories i have from this game.

I've been looking for this game for ages. BUY BUY BUY!!!!

I didn't play Descent that much. I actually played Forsaken more on the N64.

screw that game, where's golden eye?

I can play Descent on my DS.

My Wii will definitely be getting a lot more attention when I snag this. I loved Descent, thanks for the info.

I want a wii now. Just so I can play this game again.

Huh. Interesting...

I wonder what exactly they're intending with it though;

WiiWare is for 'original' titles, unlike the virtual console stuff.

That kind of implies it's a new game in the series.
For whatever that's worth.

I remember that game, it actually gave me motion sickness.

John Funk:
It was the beginning of a franchise that led to what is considered by some to be the finest space shooter ever made: Descent: Freespace

That's not actually true Funk, the Descent: Freespace game has no relation whatsoever to the Descent series, apart from springing from a common source (in a way). See, the first two Descent games were created by a company called Parallax - then Parallax split into two companies, Volition and Outrage. The plan was that they would trade off on new Descent titles, with Outrage handling Descent 3 and Volition designing #4 - only that never happened, as Interplay canceled it, and Outrage shut down.

The Freespace series meanwhile was all Volition's doing, and takes place in an entirely separate narrative framework that has no relation to anything in the Descent games. So why's the first one called Descent: Freespace if they aren't related? Copyright reasons. Turns out there was a hard disk utility called Freespace and so they tacked the Descent name onto their new space shooter to avoid legal troubles (and draw more attention since Volition was a brand new entity and Descent was a known quality).

The sequel, the one that's actually considered to be the finest space shooter ever made, Freespace 2, dropped the unrelated Descent part of the name as there were no pre-existing works with that name. And lo, it was awesome indeed.

Awesome, I loved this game when it came out; it was probably the last game where my dad could beat me since I don't think my 3D spatial skills were all there. And I think it was this (or 2?) that I spent ages on with the level builder.

For those without a Wii, the special for the whole Descent series at GOG just ended, but you can still get them just $5.99 for 1&2 combined! Plus $5.99 for each Freespace!

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/scifi_sim

zeroReactivity:
Plus $5.99 for each Freespace!

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/scifi_sim

And once you've nabbed those, be sure to go here and follow the instructions for getting the Source Code Project up and running! It's like playing a whole new game.

Problem with that game being revived as I own it from GOG. The controls. That is one of those games that is impossible to play well on a keyboard nevermind having fun.

Man....I absolutely loved the Descent games. Descent 3 is up there with my fav games ever. The ease with which it moved from tunnels to open ground and back, plus much more diverse mission objetives than get in mine/destroy baddies and core/escape mine. My brother and I bought a Cyborg Evo joystick to play that game. Joystick plus mouse to move the nose= ownage. Nice. I wonder if the WiiMote controls will behave like a joystick, as if you where actually holding the lever (or however it's called) on a plane. I hope they include some motion control for the banking and rolling, as those where some of the most useful moves in the game.

It was kinda hard to play on the keyboard, but if you configured your controls right it wasn't all that annoying.

Interesting timing. I bought the original PC printing of this game today at a local Salvation Army for a buck.

BONUS POINTS: The Blizzard game Blackthorne was tucked inside the CD booklet! two for one!

Descent 3 actually made me throw up the first time I played it. Once I got the hang of it though, it was fun to play LAN games with friends.

I played that game. I don't know why, but I played it a lot. And I hated it. Just seeing the screenshot made my brain convulse and sleepiness was the only thing keeping me from yelling unintelligible noises. Throbbing in the forehead. So glad I don't have a Wii. I'd probably download it, if I did. Drain of life, mind and will.

Descent 1 2 and 3 were good. The freespace series just plain sucked.

3 Was the best one of them all.

Damn it. I just went and bought a 360 to get my Perfect Dark nostalgia fix, now it looks like I'm going to have to go get a Wii as well.

This just makes me crave for a Star Wars: X-Wing and/or Tie-Fighter remake. Those games were awesome.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here