EA Unveils the Dead Space 2 "Dementia" Trailer

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

EA Unveils the Dead Space 2 "Dementia" Trailer

EA has released the "Dementia" trailer for Dead Space 2, offering the first look at the upcoming game and at the face of its hero, Isaac Clarke.

The fast cuts and blurry video in the new Dead Space 2 trailer make it a little tricky to tell what's going on, but this much is clear: Isaac Clarke, the apparent sole survivor of the ISS Ishimura, is back for more. He's been rescued from the chaos of the deep space disaster and subjected to what I would assume would be a thorough psychological examination, and now against all common sense he's slapping on the face plate and diving back into the fray.

Is he crazy? Maybe. An experience like the one he endured in his first encounter with the Necromorphs would be enough to push most people over the edge. Looking at his face, I can't tell if he's a cool cucumber or a psycho killer who left reality behind about 200 light years ago. And yes, that's right: After the silent anonymity of the first game, we're finally getting a glimpse of the man behind the mask, a rugged, steely-eyed space hero who'd look perfectly comfortable with a bright N7 plastered across the front of his engineer duds.

Other than the revelation, such as it is, of Clarke's face, the trailer makes Dead Space 2 look pretty much like you'd expect: Grotesque monsters and lots of splatter. On the other hand, the psychological component could be a fun twist and the suggestion that the Necromorph virus has made its way to civilization provides some interesting story potential as well. We'll have to wait awhile yet to see how it all plays out: Dead Space 2 doesn't come out until early 2011, for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

I hate the way the guy says 'peggy'. Why couldn't it be pronounced 'Pee-ee-gee-aye'? I have a rather neutral standpoint towards dead space 2 since i didn't have the good fortune of playing the first.

And yes, that's right: After the silent anonymity of the first game, we're finally getting a glimpse of the man behind the mask, a rugged, steely-eyed space hero who'd look perfectly comfortable with a bright N7 plastered across the front of his engineer duds.

Wait, you could see his face in the beginning of the first game when your riding that ship. You could quickly turn the camera around and see his face before he puts on his helmet.

OT: I must say this trailer has got me interested. I loved the first game and the second looks like more of what I like. Grotesque monsters, a bit of horror, and a bit of si-fi.

Considering it releases very little information on the game, the trailer is brilliant.

Man, that'll be awesome if they somehow connected Dead Space with Mass Effect. But that would probably ruin them both.

Armored Prayer:

And yes, that's right: After the silent anonymity of the first game, we're finally getting a glimpse of the man behind the mask, a rugged, steely-eyed space hero who'd look perfectly comfortable with a bright N7 plastered across the front of his engineer duds.

Wait, you could see his face in the beginning of the first game when your riding that ship. You could quickly turn the camera around and see his face before he puts on his helmet.

OT: I must say this trailer has got me interested. I loved the first game and the second looks like more of what I like. Grotesque monsters, a bit of horror, and a bit of si-fi.

And you got to see his face at the very end of the game.

Well... that showed us bugger all.

In fairness, we could see isaac's face at the start and the end of the first game anyway.

Loving the new helmet though, that's just awesome. Hopefully when they explain the whole shindig about unitology and the markers it's not going to be something ridiculous like they're trying to 'find god' or something religion-based as that.

Nothing for the PC? I'm having a mental breakdown...

BlueTomfoolery:

I noticed as well that the article didn't mention the PC. I hope that its just an oversight or something, because I'd be kinda disappointed if they didn't include a PC version of the game. Considering that's all I have access to these days.

The trailer looks neat, however. It shall be interesting to see how this unfolds.

I'm pretty sure he removed his helmet and you could see his face at the epilogue of the first game.

...Wasn't Issac in his mid-40's/early 50's in the last game? Why does he look like Commander Shepard all of a sudden? Is that just for the trailers, or are we going to get some sort of planet-sized retcon before long?

Oooooh this looks awesome.

First was one epicly creepy. Well more shock tactics than creepy.

Actually, no it was really creepy.

This should be really good.

That trailers got me looking forward to Dead Space 2 now I have to say; liked the first one quite a bit so nice to see that this is shaping up rather well. Also as people have you said.. you can see his face at both the start and end of the first game. Though it seems they should be saying that they gave him a voice, if part of the speech in the video is partly his. Also the new helmet is sweet.

Couldn't help but notice a cityscape behind the marker about three quarters through. Dead Metropolis?

HT_Black:
...Wasn't Issac in his mid-40's/early 50's in the last game? Why does he look like Commander Shepard all of a sudden? Is that just for the trailers, or are we going to get some sort of planet-sized retcon before long?

You did get pretty good looks at his face at the beginning/end of the game (of course, you had to have the presence of mind to move the camera at the beginning part before he put on his helmet), and he's certainly no spring chicken- taking a close look here, one can see a rather worn face and some touches of grey at the temples. I'd peg him at a solid 40 years old, at least.

The video does seem to make him a bit younger, but his hairstyle and overall facial construction look somewhat different as well, so this might be the result of a newer (higher polygon/texture-resolution) character model in the game. Given what he went through in the first game, that steely expression could hide a crazed mind singing "Yay now is fighty time, fighty time, blood blood BLOOD" over and over to itself.

The fast cuts were just clips of the first game, bar one scene which looks like a xenomorph (or whatever the name was) in Issacs armour. Other than that it looks pretty cool. I'm hoping for some Eternal Darkness isanity type stuff which could be really freaky.

Salakayin:

BlueTomfoolery:

I noticed as well that the article didn't mention the PC. I hope that its just an oversight or something, because I'd be kinda disappointed if they didn't include a PC version of the game. Considering that's all I have access to these days.

The trailer looks neat, however. It shall be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Fraid to say they've already announced there will be no PC version. Shit sucks.

DO WANT SO BADLY?!
No PC release though? I enjoy watchign live streams of people playign DS1 =[

At the end, what does the guy say? Sounds to me like, "Isaac, you're all going to burn for what you did to you" which opens up the whole psychological horror thing that the Rorschach diagrams hinted at.

Wicky_42:
At the end, what does the guy say? Sounds to me like, "Isaac, we're all going to burn for what we did to you" which opens up the whole psychological horror thing that the Rorschach diagrams hinted at.

Fixed.

Seems like there's no rest for Mr. Clarke.

EA should really, really take notes about how the changes Condemned 2 made to its formula shot and killed the series.

You cannot make a series about hacking the limbs off alien zombies with power tools 'darker and edgier,' and attempting to do so by making a formerly average, ostensibly identifiable protagonist into a half-mad cyberbadass with a galactic score to settle is just going to send whatever subtlety the original had down the tubes.

(And yeah, Isaac's face isn't exactly a big reveal to anyone that played the original- thus, to anyone that cares.)

I'm really hoping Dead Space 2 comes out A-okay. I really enjoyed the first one.

DO WANT.

This looks to be another joyous dive into insanity, and the fact that our protagonist now has a voice will hopefully lend more of an actual horror feeling to the game. Before you had to read his journals to gain info on his mindset (which, while interesting, was not nearly as involving as a fully-voiced Issac would have been.)

Armored Prayer:

Not to mention grotesquely killing an dismembering said monsters. I loved the first game and I want that number 2! The necros are a lot greyer than in the first one. And now we can dismember child necros.

One of the very few games left to be released this year that interests me. The first game was fantastic (although not scary, but I've never been scared of a game/film anyway) and this one has some brilliant sounding ideas going into it.

Let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

Wicky_42:
At the end, what does the guy say? Sounds to me like, "Isaac, you're all going to burn for what you did to you" which opens up the whole psychological horror thing that the Rorschach diagrams hinted at.

I do think it's "we're all gonna burn for what we did to you", Like a kind of remorse from the higher ups for sending him to the USS Kill Beast Buffet. Or maybe it's from his gay boyfriend back on earth. I'm not sure the latter part is more canon than the former.

"We're all going to burn for what we did to you"

Why would someone condemn themselves to death like that, I don't get it. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I guess I better get to playing Dead Space 1 before 2011, which means i've got plenty of time anyway.

Armored Prayer:
Wait, you could see his face in the beginning of the first game when your riding that ship.

Weird, I forgot all about that. I guess it's true that the mind is the first thing to go...

But you get to hear his voice for the first time! (Right?)

As for the PC version of Dead Space 2:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98168-No-Dead-Space-2-for-PC-UPDATED

flaming_squirrel:

Salakayin:

BlueTomfoolery:

Fraid to say they've already announced there will be no PC version. Shit sucks.

WHAT!? NO PC VERSION! okay, I breathe, no, I won't, first just cause 2 only works for DX10 ( unrelated), now no pc version of dead space 2. EA, thou art bloody morons. Why is this fair? EA just hired me to shoot them in the foot.

To have a console exclusive shooter is just absurd. I always tried to avoid the console wars, but now I see what it is all about.

Definitely awesome for a teaser.

Ooh...this could be interesting.
I was a big fan of the first game, so I'm really looking forward to the second. And I must say, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the whole psychology angle.

Great trailer so far and good to see more of Issac.

The release for thus really cannot come fast enough

Andy Chalk:
As for the PC version of Dead Space 2:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98168-No-Dead-Space-2-for-PC-UPDATED

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

brandon237:

WHAT!? NO PC VERSION! okay, I breathe, no, I won't, first just cause 2 only works for DX10 ( unrelated), now no pc version of dead space 2. EA, thou art bloody morons. Why is this fair? EA just hired me to shoot them in the foot.

To have a console exclusive shooter is just absurd. I always tried to avoid the console wars, but now I see what it is all about.

Upgrade from XP already!

I'm lucky enough to have a 360 hanging about which hasnt been used in over a year due to a lack of anything decent to play on it.

At first I was kind of intrigued by the concept (ZOMBIE SPACE YAAAAY), but was vastly disappointed by Dead Space. It didn't even scare me the first time. :<

But, maybe they'll actually look at those flaws this time around. If they're actually going to work on Isaac's character, as well as some pacing and such, that would be really good for the setting.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here