Boy in Chile Kills Brother for Turning On PlayStation

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A 16-year-old Chilean boy has been accused of murdering his 18-year-old brother in a fight over a Sony PlayStation console.

According to police officials, the teenager and his brother had been arguing over the use of the PlayStation unit - no number is given, but we're assuming it was a PS3 - when the confrontation turned violent. After the elder brother turned on the PlayStation without his brother's permission, the younger sibling became enraged. He allegedly grabbed a knife from the kitchen, stabbing his brother in the chest and killing him.

The young man told police that the argument "got out of hand" - no, really? - and could face five years in prison under the charges if convicted.

While the report focuses the argument around the PlayStation console that does admittedly seem to have been the focal point, that can't be all that was at work here. According to the BBC, the brothers had been abandoned by their mother and lived in care for 10 years before being taken in by a Belgian woman - who unfortunately was visiting her home country at the time of the murder.

Seeing as how this abandonment happened when they were, at the absolute eldest, 6 and 8 respectively, I don't think it's hard to imagine how that could have had an affect on their psyches growing up.

It's still a tragedy, but why blame the piece of black plastic in the living room?

Jail. For at least 15 years. Possibly life.

5 years is nothing.

Now I've gotten pissed with my sister messing with my stuff, but I've never attacked her with a knife. Obviously he has some serious mental issues, and severe history to overreact like that.

Oh no. Video games are turning all our children into murderers. Aaah.

What? Not excited enough?

We talked about this on here earlier today Oo.

wow first a murder over hacking in counterstrike in china and now another murder over turning on a stinking console? What is with people on other continents getting violent over games? Was it our fault?

They really do let people get away with murder these days.

Psychopaths get let off lightly.

FIVE YEARS FOR THIS UNJUSTIFIABLE MURDER OF A SIBLING?

Hmmmm.

Reminds me of the Russian boy who killed his father because he took away his keyboard... then after killing him he plugged it in and played it until he fell asleep the really creeped me out

Remember those threads that said one-hit knife kills in games were unrealistic?

No, me neither. But if I did, this would be a good point!

Anyway, this is horrific and I disapprove.

i thought orphans were all nice and sold newspapers for shillings my innocence is gone

John Funk:

It's still a tragedy, but why blame the piece of black plastic in the living room?

Because it's the easiest thing to blame. I can imagine how the heads of the Chilean media delt with this story: "These kids had to deal with abandonment and other psychological issues through out their lives, but that's just too damn complicated to report. What's that you say? They were fighting over a PS3? That's a hell of a lot easier to blame. That's the story we're going to run with. Now where's my coffee damnit?!"

Onyx Oblivion:
Jail. For at least 15 years.

5 years is nothing.

Forget that. Unless they can fix him mentally, theres no point but to at least give him life.

I mean, granted, abandonment and all that...but he just killed his brother over who got to play on it for the next few hours. His only blood relative. The only one who was there when he was without adult care.

Kids was only two years away from being an actual adult. Could you imagine, if he did this to his brother over this, what he'd do to you if he was behind you in a line and decided you were taking too long?

I don't know why he even bothered turning it on.

I mean, it's not like there were any games he could have played on it.

... don't hurt me.

Five years? How about LIFE?

Mantonio:
I don't know why he even bothered turning it on.

I mean, it's not like there were any games he could have played on it.

... don't hurt me.

Well, there are plenty of games. But not MGS4.

MGS4 is more like a movie. When you press buttons for a few minutes to skip forward in the movie. And the movie sucks.

But they have this little series called Ratchet & Clank. It's awesome.

I'd blame the PS3 since 'it only does everything'...

Kilowog17:
I'd blame the PS3 since 'it only does everything'...

Cause people to murder....your right it DOES do everything....Xbox isn't worth killing over...lol.

Psycho. Room. Lock. Incinerate key. Either that or mental institute for huuuuuge help.

Nope. They weren't fucked up individuals at all. THE PS3 told him to do it.

6 and 8 plus ten years...means thier ages are 16 and 18 years old...

Scarred or not unless his mother was a sword juggler/swallower (keep it clean) or something you should know knive put into flesh is bad for it if it's still breathing.

Life is cruel.

Well, clearly it is the 18 year old's fault. He TURNED IT ON, GUYS!
That's just asking for a knife to the chest.

Just Five years?! For Murder with no good reason except a piece of plastic?!

SirBryghtside:

tomtom94:
Psychopaths get let off lightly.

Call me controversial, but I think it's really counter-intuitive to let people with mental issues off.

"Hmmmm... we've discovered a gene that makes people more likely to kill others! Let's give these guys a shorter sentence... because they're more likely to kill people when they get out?"

What the hell?

The darker side of the plea of insanity.

They blame it on the console because thats the easy thing to do and it strips all responsibility from those who should be held accountable.

In short, its the easy way out because no one wants to take responsibility. Plus it gives them more "ratings" or "hits" if you will.

Its a sad thing really, when parents abandon their children...

8bitmaster:
wow first a murder over hacking in counterstrike in china and now another murder over turning on a stinking console? What is with people on other continents getting violent over games? Was it our fault?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but... you missed a few stories between then and now.

OK, thats enough, i have a hard time beliving this one, the kid that killed his dad with a hammer when he took his keyboard maybe but thats because he was a pc gamer. I think this is just anti-video game bullshit made up by some hippe twat.

You could blame this on the kid no "Letting go my eggo."

Seriously, they blame a game for something and what did the console do? Nothing. Not a thing. Kid would have snapped anyway it seems. Don't blame the playstation.

Wait they don't know what Model it is....so what your saying this could be a PS1, old, hand me down...no even a excuse to kill for older games and all? Yeah, you know what I call BS on it.

Bout as credible as the kid who blamed Bevis and Butt head about HIM burning down his trailer for saying fire. Even though the snotling was cause over two dozen times playing with matches and lighters and his trailer didn't have cable to watch said show...

No doubt fox news writers have gotten their writing erections and have already warped the story to involve a part where the PS3 talked him into it.

Some people really do need help somehow...thats just...wow

You shouldn't be so quick to write this guy off as a nutjob, you'd be suprised at what you can do when you're angry or when adrenaline is going through your body. Not to mention the age. What was it? 16? Young men's hormones rage harder than an amazoness warrior on PMS, so he probably took quite some time to actually realise what he's done. I know i've gotten so angry that i nearly did a few VERY regretful things one time or another. I'm sure there are times where you've said 'i'll fucking kill you!' and probably meant it 100%, but had the benefit of self-control when you calmed down a bit. I guess to some people it's worth ignoring the consequences and just going for it. If you hate someone just that much, you would. To be honest, it's nothing to do with the playstation, it could have been a fight over who gets to drive a car, or who has the last pack of crisps, and so on. It just HAPPENED to be about a video game console. I really don't think it's that important to the murder, it just happened to be the trigger.

After everything is said and done, the kid isent going to feel bad, he knew what he was doing.

*sigh*
What the hell is wrong with people.......that kid has mental issues.........first the crazy kid in Russia beating his father to death in his sleep and now this mental idiot. I for one do not blame the system or games at all, I blame the kid's mental condition and whatever allowed him to actually lose control.

What is with these cases (RARE cases).....*sigh*

And he better be put in a mental institution instantly after his 5 years are up

Gralian:
You shouldn't be so quick to write this guy off as a nutjob, you'd be suprised at what you can do when you're angry or when adrenaline is going through your body. Not to mention the age. What was it? 16? Young men's hormones rage harder than an amazoness warrior on PMS, so he probably took quite some time to actually realise what he's done. I know i've gotten so angry that i nearly did a few VERY regretful things one time or another. I'm sure there are times where you've said 'i'll fucking kill you!' and probably meant it 100%, but had the benefit of self-control when you calmed down a bit. I guess to some people it's worth ignoring the consequences and just going for it. If you hate someone just that much, you would.

I am sorry, but nothing beats an amazoness warrior on PMS!! :P

Yes rage is a b***, and you wont be able to amend his choice.

This just shows that PS3 is evil and drives people to murder.

I mean, the 360 hasn't made anyone kill someone else yet just by merely touching the thing, right?

(For those of you who can't see a joke when it's staring you in the face, this is one :D )

Blame the plastic! It's eeeevil.

OT: *sigh* Another psycho. I'm annoyed at the fact that there are thousands of psychos being admitted to mental hospitals, yet everyone gets their panties in a twist just because some cases include the gaming media. People here at least have the common knowledge to know that games have nothing to do with it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.