Could Bungie's New IP Be an Action RPG?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Could Bungie's New IP Be an Action RPG?

Bungie's next game universe might be quite a bit different from Halo, if job listings mentioning a "branching or non-linear narrative" are any indication.

Bungie is best known for its Halo series of FPS games that were practically a household name in the past decade, and probably second-best known for its Marathon series of FPS games (a very distant second, but a second nonetheless). With Halo and Marathon under its belt, you'd think that its new "game universe" being developed under partnership with Activision would be a FPS, right?

Maybe not.

As noted by Gamespot UK, some listings on the Bungie jobs page point to the next game universe being significantly more story-rich than Halo. Specifically, the posting for a new Writing Lead mentions that it would be "a plus" for someone to have experience with writing "branching or non-linear narrative(s)," which leads some to conclude that Bungie's next game might have RPG elements like Deus Ex.

Another potential clue is the posting for a "Player Investment Designer" whose job it will be to build "worlds imbued with real value and consequence," and to give players "long-term goals to invest them in the world and their character." Also sounding pretty damn RPG-ish to me.

In fact, if not for the "branching narrative" bit, I might almost be inclined to say that it sounded fairly MMOG-eque to me. Whatever the case, it's safe to say that you may be significantly more attached to your character in this new Bungie universe than you ever were to the Master Chief.

(Via Gamespot)

I'm fairly sure an FPS with a deep story can be done.

tmujir955:

I agree, just nobody sees the value in it.

Everyone knows FPS players, especially Halo players, don't have the time to bother with a story when there's stuff to blow up.

It always degrades to another generic shooter.

Well good luck with that, certainly alot of rumours and speculation coming from Bungie's side, sometimes I wonder if the game news is hyping shit up too much.

Halo was plenty story rich, the problem was, the games were not. The books were great as anyone who has read them will tell you.

I dont get how a branching story makes it an action RPG.

Teddy Roosevelt:

tmujir955:

Yeah, after a particular FPS grabbed the genre in it's sticky grip and is only now beginning to loosen...

What was it? I can't seem to recall...

Halo started out as an RPG...no seriously. They made a business decision to change it to an FPS and thus Halo CE was born. So they might be going back to their roots.

tmujir955:

Teddy Roosevelt:

tmujir955:

Sylveria:
Everyone knows FPS players, especially Halo players, don't have the time to bother with a story when there's stuff to blow up.

Half-Life, Bioshock and Portal would like to have a word with you three...

Anyhoo, an Action RPG would be pretty sweet. Heres hoping they can pull off a truly interesting IP.

soapyshooter:
Halo started out as an RPG...no seriously. They made a business decision to change it to an FPS and thus Halo CE was born. So they might be going back to their roots.

Halo started as an RTS if I remember correctly.

laryri:

soapyshooter:

Damn, I think you might be right. I saw the video of Bungie history right after Halo came out so my memory is a little hazy. When was that like 9 years ago?

Sylveria:

Why can't they like both?

more attached to your character than master chief? i doubt it mate, its the chief.

laryri:

soapyshooter:

Yup, it did. Otherwise we'd have never had Halo Wars. Also, it kinda makes sense with how generic a lot of units looks. RTS-wise it could've worked.

Not attacking Halo, I quite enjoyed the series while it lasted, even ODST.

Also, what's with all the comments saying people can't enjoy an FPS with a story? You people need to play a few released in the genre made the past few years. Seriously.

Bigeyez:

tmujir955:

Teddy Roosevelt:

tmujir955:

Sylveria:

Half-Life, Bioshock and Portal would like to have a word with you three...
Anyhoo, an Action RPG would be pretty sweet. Heres hoping they can pull off a truly interesting IP.

You forgot Deus Ex and System Shock 2

Teddy Roosevelt:

tmujir955:

Yeah...because people whio play FPS dont want story, they want bullets, guns...and death

If it's half as good as Deus Ex, I'll be trying it. I just hope they can manage it.

They call BS,ME2 and even FO3 a something X RPG so ya...even whatever they make can be slapped with a RPG on the end of it and no one but a few people who care about mechanics...or semantics will be bothered by it....

if they do it kinda like Deus Ex and in PS3, then i'll be glad.

Well, I don't care about what they do, as in what genre they decide to tackle, but I really hope they don't stick to straight up action military FPSs.

Then again, why would they? If they were going to do Halo again they wouldn't have left Microsoft to begin with, so I have high hopes for a really different thing. Action RPG sounds about right. If they could go back and do Oni again with less sucking this time that would be cool, too.

God I am sick to death of branching non-linear storylines. They're impossible to immerse yourself into compared to the way a conventional, well-developed linear story can take you in. At every turn, as a seasoned gamer you think to yourself not "What would I do?" but rather "Which option gives me the most benefits?" Good/Evil choices are stale and morally ambiguous choices are just boring. I want to be swept away by the tides of destiny! Give me more great games with linear storylines.

It sounds like I might actually want to play it, unlike Halo!

The Random One:
It sounds like I might actually want to play it, unlike Halo!

Totally this^. I disliked halo 3, I bought it and played it. It was basically an old school sega saturn shooter with current graphics. The bunny hopping, clunky run and gun gameplay was just annoying. It hink it is totally overhyped. But if they did an action RPG I might actually play it.

Wow kudos to you BUNGIE, you stopped sucking the life out of Halo way before its got its own sitcom...Maybe this will show that BUNGIE has some actual talent and make another good F.P.S like the first Halo...or FRICKING MARATHON..comon people remember the beginning of BUNGIE...Anyway, i have high hopes for this, not cause its from the creators of halo....cause its from the creaters of Marathon...one of the only enjoyable Mac games...

Teddy Roosevelt:

tmujir955:

Bioshock? That had a great Story Line IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went back into their Marathon series.

Noelveiga:
Well, I don't care about what they do, as in what genre they decide to tackle, but I really hope they don't stick to straight up action military FPSs.

Then again, why would they? If they were going to do Halo again they wouldn't have left Microsoft to begin with, so I have high hopes for a really different thing.

Those would be pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

I can imagine that Bungie is getting pretty tired of making shooters by now. They didn't leave Microsoft and the Halo franchise behind to do the same thing again at Activision.

The "worlds imbued with real value and consequence" and "long-term goals to invest [players] in the world and their character" do have a bit of an MMO-scent on them.

An MMO with branching, non-linear narrative would be quite interesting in my opinion. But that might be a little farfetched for simple speculation at this point. (Though I will be yelling 'I told you so' if it's what they'll be working on)

pwnzerstick:
I wouldn't be surprised if they went back into their Marathon series.

If they do this then the gods have heard my prayers...i...want...MARATHON...or a totally new i.p with creativity and good story telling that has nothing to do with space marines....

its gonna be called 'duty of call' and be set in world war 2

What most people realise is that in the beginning Halo was supposed to be a third person game. The decision to jump to the first person perspective was only made about half way through production, so this really isn't such a shocking idea to be honest. An awesome one if it proves to be true, but to me, predictable as well. I've wanted Bungie to do an RPG for a very long time. Time, it seems, will see if they can pull one off.

Worgen:
its gonna be called 'duty of call' and be set in world war 2

You do know that Bungie is still entirely independent right? They've only signed on with activision for publishing liscence, not the entire company itself, like Infinity ward was. IW was owned entirely, 100% by Activision, and therefore they were able to do whatever the hell they wanted with the company. Bungie are still free to do whatever the hell Bungie want to do.

I wouldn't rule out an MMORPG to be honest since I suspect "branching narrative" and more immersive storylines are going to be what the next generation is about looking at things like both "World Of Warcraft" and what's been shown of the "Knight Of The Old Republic" MMORPG, which included the abillity to influance missions by dialog before they even started (or so it seemed from a certain sequence they showed with a Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter teaming up in one of their videos).

With things like "phasing" within bigger instances like you see in WoW, where people can co-exist more or less on the same map, but one area might be radically differant to another player depending on whether they have triggered events like "The Wrath Gate" or whatever, there is an increasing amount of potential for characters to have a profound effect on the world, or at least as they see it.

Of course things can be quite spotty with characters trying to work together and "phasing out" to each other within a zone due to the differances... but it's a new technology and being worked on right now.

So I'd imagine if Bungie was sitting there and looking at WoW, and looking at Old Republic Online, and wanted to create an MMORPG to compete at the next generation, they would need exactly the kinds of people mentioned above.

I think that what is going to make the "next gen" MMOs "next gen" is going to be to use a tweaked version of what Blizzard did with "The Lich King" but introduce it as an integral part of the game from day #1.

Oni was RPGish... at least that's how I remember it. I don't remember much of it though.

Bungie=Awesome
Action RPGs=Awesome
Bungie making an Action RPG=Super Special Sexy Awesome

ZippyDSMlee:
They call BS,ME2 and even FO3 a something X RPG so ya...even whatever they make can be slapped with a RPG on the end of it and no one but a few people who care about mechanics...or semantics will be bothered by it....

But Bioshock called itself an FPS, before you even start the game said Easy was for people new to First Person Shooters, I would call Mass Effect an RPG due to the fact that you control Shepherd's interactions with just about everyone in the universe, same with Fallout 3. Those two where RPGs with FPS elements

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.