Could Metal Gear: Peace Walker See a PS3 Release?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Could Metal Gear: Peace Walker See a PS3 Release?

If you'd like to get your hands on Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker but don't have a PSP, rumor has it that the game might see a PSN release as well.

Despite the odd controversy here and there, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is shaping up to be a handheld monster, garnering 40/40 in Famitsu and being called akin to the real MGS5.

However, it's on the PSP - and while the PSP is certainly a popular system (especially in Japan), not everybody who has been a fan of the console Metal Gear games owns one. Konami is aware of this, reports GamePro, and may be considering releasing the game on PSN as well as on PSP.

"So after I had done the [Peace Walker] preview, [Konami] had a Q/A session with us to get our complaints/ideas about the game," reports GamePro's Ben PerLee. "Other than the basics, they asked what we thought about if they released it on PSN for the PS3 as well and had online multiplayer."

Is it a random, pie-in-the-sky focus group question? It certainly could be, and the fact that PerLee et al were asked it ultimately doesn't prove much ... but it does show that somebody at Konami has at least raised the idea.

Would you play Peace Walker on PSN? Or do you think it belongs on its handheld home?

John Funk:
Could Metal Gear: Peace Walker See a PS3 Relase?

You've got a typo in the word "Release" in your article title.
This sounds good, I sold my PSP ages ago to get my DS so a PS3 release would mean I, and others like me, could still play it if we wanted. I know games for consoles, such as MediEvil, have been ported successfully to the PSP, so the reverse would probably work just as well.

I don't know, I'm not 100% sure on what a relase is...

Grammar nazi-ing aside, this seems pretty interesting enough, and if I can decide on something rather than my usual "Should I/shouldn't I?" routine that ultimately goes nowhere, then I may get this, but if it's going to be as convoluted and confusing as MGS4 was,[1] then I probably wonn't bother.

[1] Or so I hear

Well i was planning to get it on PSP anyway, so it doesn't affect me.

Oooo... I may have to get it for the PS3 instead, so long as it doesn't have the awful control scheme MGS4 had.

That'd be awesome!!!

I won't buy a PSP and I'd love to get my hands on this.

John Funk:
and being called akin to the real MGS5.

Kojima said that it is the real MGS5. Something along those lines.

Ups, double post.

Seriously these names crack me up. I mean is it a running gag in the series or do they really think these names are good?

Solid Snake...Revolver Ocelot...Sniper Wolf is sounds like a 12 year old making a name up (I did DarkLeo back at that age hahahha)

Now we get Peace Walker?

I would love to see it on PSN, considering that absolutely no one played Portable Ops online, rendering all copies of Portable Ops Plus useless.

The only way I'll play this game is if they do release it to the PSN. Screw getting a PSP for just one game...

Everybody wanted it on the PS3 in the first place. It will definitely sell better if it goes on the PSN.

I don't own a psp, so yeah, I would download it on psn if it became available.

Well, having a PSP dosnt make alot of difference to me. But, I am glad that people who dont will get a chance to play the game ^^

I would love it on PS3 as I lack a PSP. I think the PS3 has out sold the PSP any way so it owuld make sense, just hope they don't just port it but rather re-do the graphics and controls first. I played the demo and it had good control for a PSP game but it would need for on a PS3.

I would LOVE this!

Now they just have to re-release MGS2+MGS3 for PS3 :-P
I swear they'd make tons of money.

The PSP is a divine handheld device that I praise Sony for. However, MSG is a game I can't be arsed with. The 40/40 score reeks of bribery and the game itself failsed since the PS2 era.

Bloody grammer nazis...

Shit I'd probably buy it. Coop Metal Gear, what's there not to like!

Adzma:
Everybody wanted it on the PS3 in the first place. It will definitely sell better if it goes on the PSN.

True that. I don't like the switch they made. But oh well, some kind of deal with Sony I suppose? Bastards. Now I'll miss 2 games of Metal Gear.

i have the demo for psp its really good, the only problem is that its on the psp and that the camera controls are shit. why is the speaker so quiet sony why? why is there no second analog stick why isnt there any grip in the analog sticks? god i hate the psp

I was rather unimpressed with MGS 4, the stiff/awkward controls, the fact that you have basically unlimited ammo, and ridiculously long cutscenes all hurt the game significantly. So I don't really know what to think when it comes to this one. If it comes to PSN (don't have PSP) I might try it out.

I would be all over this game if they released it for the PS3.

Psn would be great, but I'd like it even more if I could physically buy it, seeing as I have no internet for my ps3, and if it was just out of reach it'd piss me off...

I probably wouldn't buy a PSP for MGS:PW, but I'd certainly buy it if it landed on PSN. Especially if they improved the graphics...

Gimme.

John Funk:
Snip
However, it's on the PSP - and while the PSP is certainly a popular system (especially in Japan), not everybody who has been a fan of the console Metal Gear games owns one. Konami is aware of this, reports GamePro, and may be considering releasing the game on PSN as well as on PSP.
Snip

Yeah, I'm that guy, so unless they release it for PS3 I won't be able to get my hands on it. I can't justify paying for a handheld that I'd rarely use. My gaming takes place on big screen at home.

In other words, yes I am definitely up for it being released on the PSN.

It'd better!! I am so sick of PSP exclusive games that stay that way because they're incentive buys to get a PSP. I'm not buying one, so just give me my PSN dl'able version, and I'll be on my merry'. Crisis Core, I'm looking at YOU!

They should just release it on both platforms like ModNation Racers is doing. It can't hurt them.

Don't and never plan on thinking of purchasing a PSP. So if it did come to the PS3 I'd definitely get it

I've owned a PSP before.. twice actually, and it was shit both times really. Seemed fun at first but in the end I ended up getting rid of the second PSP due to a really awesome trade-in at EB Games - actually got my PS3 with the credit I made off it and its accessories.

So yeah - pumped to hear that this might happen. I don't see a single downside to it, so why not?

I am not sure cause now I am going for Modnation Racers and Split Second. But in about 6 months. If it were on the PSN, I would buy it. I mean, you can have your very own Metal Gear. How much cooler can you get?

All PSP games are released on the PSN now.

They're still only playable on the PSP.

Awesome! And, thinking about it, this is actually a pretty logical step from Konami considering it's a pretty high budget game that might not turn profitable due to the small PSP market.

Well, I actually have a PSP and i am hoping for a PS3 release because to spite how much I love my PSP the controls... I DESPISE!!!

The Analogue nub is terribly positioned, only 8-direction, and has ZERO sensitivity. No, PSP simply CANNOT handle complex 3D games because quite simply it doesn't have enough buttons!

It can just barely handle a game like GTA3 but that is it, otherwise it can only handle PS1 era games, back them fixed camera + D-pad was the norm as in Tomb Raider Classic or Metal Gear Solid 1.

Also, the PSP's screen just isn't big enough nor high resolution enough to make out the detail needed for a 3D world. Games like GTA: Chinatown Wars = yes, Stealth Games like MGS-free-camera = NO!

I don't have a PSP, and thus this would be extremely awesome, and I would most certainly buy it should it be released via the PSN.

Decabo:
I was rather unimpressed with MGS 4, the stiff/awkward controls, the fact that you have basically unlimited ammo, and ridiculously long cutscenes all hurt the game significantly. So I don't really know what to think when it comes to this one. If it comes to PSN (don't have PSP) I might try it out.

To be honest MGS4 seemed like a committee designed game, it had a crap load of fan-baiting crap but no balance or challenge.

Octocamo: fun idea but in practice it breaks the stealth gameplay as there is no deep strategy, you can literally lie down anywhere and be effectively invisible also you spend the whole game crawling as that is the only way to stay invisible in some of the pre-arranged gunfights between endlessly spawning enemies.

Tranq gun: unsatisfying to use, with a slow rate of fire and delayed effect plus the annoyance of them waking up again at random yet to get the maximum rating you HAVE to use this weapon and even if you don't go for high score it's the best weapon as it is one-hit-knock-out.
BTW, the "congratulations, no enemy kills" is only a worthy award if you achieved that by going through the game:
(1) Never being spotted, and
(2) never ENGAGING an enemy

That means you sneaked PAST a guard rather than just spamming tranq darts all over the place.

Remember the MGS1 Virtual Missions? Now that was proper stealth, real challenge.

The tranq gun should be a VERY slow firing air-rifle and with VERY limited ammunition. Why if NO ONE else used a tranq-pistol in the whole game can you find tranq ammo everywhere?!?

I loved the 1st game because the only weapons you had where deadly ones, and the game could honestly pontificate about the morality of war.

But in every MGS game since, you have this reality-fucking tranquilliser pistol, they DO NOT EXIST, it is a cop out on Kojima's part. Any tranquilliser pistol that can consistently and quickly knock someone out is just as likely to KILL THEM. Anaesthesia is an INCREDIBLY dangerous procedure, any drug powerful enough to render you unconscious can just as easily stop your breathing, or stop your heart, or cause blood clotting.

That is why no where in law enforcement, military or paramilitary are tranquilliser weapons used.

No, the only way you can take someone down non lethally is hand-to-hand combat, beating them up and then restraining them. That's what the military and police do. That what Snake USED to do in MGS1, sneak up behind a guard and put him in a sleeper hold. There was at least CHALLENGE to that, you had to sneak up close to them from their blind side and perform a well timed move, but you can spam tranqs from across a level and win.

That's why Splinter Cell to me has held the Stealth Crown for a long time now... underwhelming at times but at least it had balanced game mechanics and coherent themes.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here