86% of Developers Satisfied With Their Jobs

86% of Developers Satisfied With Their Jobs

Despite layoffs and economic hardships, it seems that most developers still like their jobs and the field they work in.

Making games for a living is seen by many as a dream job, but those who are actually in the field would tell you that it's tough work. Hours can be long, pay can be average, and there's always the danger that your studio will shut down. But despite that, a survey of developers found that many were satisfied with their current career.

Out of the 2,623 developers surveyed, 86% were at the least "somewhat satisfied" with their jobs. Approximately 2/3rds of respondents were "satisfied" or "extremely satisfied," and a scant 14% said they were "not satisfied" with their career. When asked whether their chosen field - that is, the games industry - was "still a great industry to work in," 88% said they agreed/strongly agreed, while only 12% disagreed/strongly disagreed.

Not all of the responses were rosy: Developers are concerned about a shrinking job market, with 80% of respondents saying that there were fewer jobs available in 2010 than there were in 2009. However, 56% felt there were more opportunities available to them, perhaps reflecting a growing awareness of positions outside of the mainstream industry.

More than half believe the industry is "gaining momentum."

So there you have it, folks: 86% of developers like their jobs, and the rest probably work at Infinity Ward. Can I get a rimshot?

(Via Gamasutra)

John Funk:
Developers are concerned about a shrinking job market, with 80% of respondents saying that there were fewer jobs available in 2010 than there were in 2010.

I think there may be a slight discrepancy in these statistics.

It's good to know. Next week: 14% of all game developers fired... Game developing is the perfect industry!

Let's hope it's gaining momentum; One of my friends is looking to become a developer soon.

Also: Coincidentally, the 14% worked for Activision and kept passing the interviewers notes reading "Help me".

I would freaking love to get in on this.

Still waiting on an answer back from Timegate Studios with regards to that internship. The waiting, it kills me.

Well obviously they are satisfied with their job or else they wouldn't be working in that field.

But its good to hear many developers are happy with their jobs.

Here ya go.

For those who want to go to a rimshot website.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/

I think game developers are doing somethign they had a great interest in way before they ever got the job. It's extremely satisfying work. I hope when I get a job in the industry I'll be able to report my satisfaction as, "very satisfied"

Wow... right before I clicked to read this story... I did a thumbs up at my monitor...

But I'm glad to hear that the vast majority of developers are happy, because my long term goal is to be one... and it I found out it sucked... I'd probably jump off this bandwagon.

I'm not surprised.
Given that I'm sort of working into the development industry, it's quite fun, and even though the pay is somewhat low sometimes, it can still be a fantastic job if you are passionate about it.
Like I said, I'm not surprised.

I wonder how many of these employees answered honestly. Were they sure their bosses wouldn't find out? Getting a job in the industry is hard enough; I sure wouldn't jeopardize it by complaining in a survey.

LoopyDood:

John Funk:
Developers are concerned about a shrinking job market, with 80% of respondents saying that there were fewer jobs available in 2010 than there were in 2010.

I think there may be a slight discrepancy in these statistics.

Lol, I didn't see that.

The high satisfaction rate is good news for me, I am entering the Rochester Institute of Technology this fall for Game Development and Design.

86% satisfied with their jobs.
All of about 1 year's experience in the industry on average.

Wait, what?

if i was a developed I would not be happy with my job because I know i could made it better so that would make me work harder on the next title.

Huzzah

Of course it's a tough job but you dont't a career in the gaming industry to get paid only. You do it because you are passionate about and devoted. A vivid gamer that wants to contribute. So I am not really surprised 4 out of 5 people are content with their jobs. [ 80/100% ].

John Funk:

So there you have it, folks: 86% of developers like their jobs, and the rest probably work at Infinity Ward. Can I get a rimshot?

Here ya go!

Well that's interesting to hear. If I actually decide to gravitate towards the games industry at least I know that I'll probably be happy (in between the moments of soul crushing crunch). It's also nice to hear that people who makes games enjoy doing it. That just makes games all the more fun.

doing something creative and new while getting paid well for it? Who wouldn't be mostly satisfied?

Well.. Bobby Kotic I guess because he can't get any of them to work for free

... Aren't those figures slightly specious? I mean, think about it, considering all the layoffs and the fresh new faces that replaced the laid off staff (who are of course going to say (hell yes I love my job pls no fire pls... and whoever's left likely being rightly afraid to say anything bad about their jobs...

I mean... just before the US housing bubble burst, I heard on the radio that the average american's income was $120,000 a year. Kinda smells the same way to me.

tellmeimaninja:
Also: Coincidentally, the 14% worked for Activision and kept passing the interviewers notes reading "Help me".

Funny, except Activision is a publisher, not a developer.

My guess is most of the 14% came from Rockstar.

Damn, the actual report costs money. :( I mean, I understand, but at the same time, I love getting my hands on raw statistical data like this.

And.... the other 14% work at ActiBlizzard...

That's because the ones fired or laid off re no longer developers, and the ones surveyed weren't laid off!

/Misses the point

Poor title. I immediately thought "software developers" and not just "game developers". I'd love a job in the games industry, because I'd consider my current position part of the other 14%.

This is good news as I hope to one day enter the game industry
gazes off into the distance

Low Key:

tellmeimaninja:

What's wrong with Rockstar?

Hopeless Bastard:
... Aren't those figures slightly specious? I mean, think about it, considering all the layoffs and the fresh new faces that replaced the laid off staff

?

Seeing your friends get fired usually has a detrimental effect on morale, not a positive one. :)

I've worked in the industry for 10 years now and loved every minute.

There were a few bad companies dotted around who were screwing their staff but they've been gradually weeded out.

I can believe it actually. We only ever hear the bad news and that's only a small percentage of the industry views.

I am sure slot of people are happy

supertoast099:

Low Key:

tellmeimaninja:

This
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97391-Rockstar-Wives-Complain-About-Working-Conditions

Did you know that 78% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

Also, looks like i need to change career then!

John Funk:

So there you have it, folks: 86% of developers like their jobs, and the rest probably work at Infinity Ward.

This was my first thought when i read the headline before even clicking on the article.

Darth_Dude:

supertoast099:

Low Key:

tellmeimaninja:

This
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97391-Rockstar-Wives-Complain-About-Working-Conditions

Man, I have to start paying more attention to the news. That shit is brutal.

supertoast099:

Low Key:

tellmeimaninja:

I shouldn't say Rockstar as a whole, rather Rockstar San Diego. I'm sure there are other factions as well that don't like their job none too much though.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.