Kirby Puffs Up for a Return on the Wii

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Kirby Puffs Up for a Return on the Wii

Nintendo's cutest little rotund creature that isn't Jigglypuff apparently still has a game in development for the Nintendo Wii.

Through a list of upcoming titles contained within Nintendo's recent financial results briefing, it looks as if Nintendo is still bringing Kirby to the Wii. If you scroll all the way down past the boring stuff, a title called Hoshi no Kirby is listed, which is the name for the Kirby games in Japan.

The name is temporary and the game's release date is TBA. Hoshi no Kirby, as you should be able to tell by the title, is only listed for release in Japan as of right now. Seeing that it was revealed in a financial results briefing, no details were provided.

Kirby is Nintendo's pink platforming puffball with ruby slippers that can inhale enemies to gain their powers. He made his first appearance in Kirby's Dream Land for the original Game Boy, following it up with later titles on the NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Gamecube, and the DS. Kirby is also a character in the Smash Bros. series, and has starred in his own golf game. As the ball.

Gameplay of the new Kirby would presumably follow a similar vein as that of earlier games, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here, so this Hoshi no Kirby could take almost any form. It's notable that the game is being developed for the Wii, hinting that it might be more than a platformer this time, if it ever materializes. The Kirby series has had plenty of off-shoots, but plenty of regular platformer entries as well, so it could go either way.

(Via: CVG)

Hands up who didn't see this one coming...

And I thought Nintendo had already re-packaged every game they've made before to the Wii. What are the bets that you need to shake the Wiimote to fly.

FUCK YEAH, THE ONE SERIES WITH NO BAD ENTRIES.

Also Kirby>Jigglypuff, it's a known fact.

Yes! A new Kirby game. Such great platforming games with a wide amount of powers and always had that little dash of ending and real ending for people who want to complete games that turns a fun game into a hard game.

Finally they're making a stand alone Kirby game for the Wii. I was starting to worry Nintendo had abandoned the little guy.

I thought the NES title was the first, and then the gameboy title followed it shortly behind?

Sorry, more of a fact checking my own memory than a specific response to the story.

If I had to pick a favorite gaming franchise it would be Kirby. Those games have provided me with endless hours of entertainment, all the way from his first one (which I still have by the way) to the countless remakes of his older games.

Why I enjoy them so much has always eluded me; all I know is that I can't get enough of him and always bring him on long trips to keep me occupied.

Rodyle2:

Kirby Air Ride

I used to love Kirby when I was a kid, but I got older and the games didn't get any harder. I'm hoping this game puts up a challenge.

I hope they just embrace the full blown spectacle fighter nature and all, but they really need to make these games much, much harder.

Hasn't there allegedly been a Kirby Wii game in development for ages now? If I remember correctly, some kind of Kirby title has always been listed on Nintendo's initial upcoming releases in Japan for as long as the Wii has existed.

Hope it's true, though. Kirby Super Star Ultra was awesome.

blalien:

Rodyle2:

Kirby Air Ride

I used to love Kirby when I was a kid, but I got older and the games didn't get any harder. I'm hoping this game puts up a challenge.

Air ride was awesome. The games didn't get harder because Kirby was designed to be for beginners.
Also: No bad Metroid games.

Kirby?
Why no Kid Icarus? :(

Kirby is one of those games that I heard a lot about, but never played aas I never had the right system to play it. *fingers crossed* for it to be as awesome as Super Mario Galaxy.

Souplex:

blalien:

Rodyle2:

Kirby Air Ride

Air ride was awesome. The games didn't get harder because Kirby was designed to be for beginners.

I LOVED Air Ride.

Though I do think that the Zelda series (CD-I outings excepted) hasn't had any bad games either.

Ha... as the ball. Now I want to go re-buy Dream Course via VC.

PayJ567:

*raises hand* I hope they make one for the ds as well.

FUCK YES! I missed the little pink bastard way too much.

Timbydude:

Souplex:

blalien:

Rodyle2:

Kirby Air Ride

I LOVED Air Ride.

Though I do think that the Zelda series (CD-I outings excepted) hasn't had any bad games either.

Zelda: Four Swords Adventures and Link's Crossbow Training
Metroid: Metroid Prime Hunters. I'm sorry but that game was unplayable. I didn't like Metroid Prime Pinball either but my ex loved it, so yeah.

If you want to stick just to core adventure games, then Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, and Mario all have perfect records.

Timbydude:

Souplex:

blalien:

Rodyle2:

Kirby Air Ride

I LOVED Air Ride.

I was going to say the same. And dude, you don't need to say "except the CD-I games", that's just understood. I don't think many people count them.

EDIT: Oh yeah, OT: I've only played 2 Kirby games (Nightmare in Dreamland and 64), but I loved them both.

Hmmmm this is one of the few Nintendo franchises I haven't played so I can't offer an opinion on it but I still want a decent Star Fox Game.

MinishArcticFox:
Hmmmm this is one of the few Nintendo franchises I haven't played so I can't offer an opinion on it but I still want a decent Star Fox Game.

If it helps, the most recent one for the DS, Command, was severely underrated.

Also of note on that list, besides the excitement of a potential new Kirby title for us here in the Americas, "The Legend of Zelda (temp)" also has a 2010 release in Japan. Two bits of excitement that are hardly paralleled! Oooh, it's making me hopeful!

Does anyone have a rough translation for the title?

blalien:

Timbydude:

Souplex:

blalien:

Rodyle2:

Kirby Air Ride

I LOVED Air Ride.

Metroid: Metroid Prime Hunters. I'm sorry but that game was unplayable. I didn't like Metroid Prime Pinball either but my ex loved it, so yeah.

If you want to stick just to core adventure games, then Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, and Mario all have perfect records.

Four Swords Adventures was awesome! Hunters was amazing multi-player wise, even if the campaign was dull.

blalien:

Timbydude:

Souplex:

blalien:

Rodyle2:

Kirby Air Ride

I LOVED Air Ride.

I really enjoyed Four Swords. The biggest problem was the set-up you needed to play it. However, if you had the 4 GBAs it was a fun game with some good ideas. Crystal Chronicals had te same problem. Crossbow Training can be burned in a firey pit though.

blalien:

Rodyle2:

Kirby Air Ride

Air Ride was a bit of a grind, it's true. Still fun though.

PayJ567:

*raises hand* Though I am still excited. I really hope they release to everywhere.

I've always liked the Kirby series, even Air Ride (although it would've been nice to have a Kirby platforming game for the GC, but whatever), so I'm quite excited for this

I hope they make it hard somehow, challenging hard and not nintendo hard.

Rodyle2:

I'm tempted to ask why you excluded Metroid for my amusement, though it's probably because of II.

On topic, while I'm not the most experienced with the Kirby series, I enjoyed Nightmare in Dreamland when I rented it. I could very well try this.

A random person:

Rodyle2:

I'm tempted to ask why you excluded Metroid for my amusement, though it's probably because of II.

On topic, while I'm not the most experienced with the Kirby series, I enjoyed Nightmare in Dreamland when I rented it. I could very well try this.

I'm not a huge Metroid fan. I've only played Fusion (pretty good) and Prime 3 (couldn't get into it).

Rodyle2:

A random person:

Rodyle2:

I'm not a huge Metroid fan. I've only played Fusion (pretty good) and Prime 3 (couldn't get into it).

Far enough. Personally I've played Prime 1 & 3, Super Metroid, some of Hunters, and a little bit of Zero Mission via a copy I found laying around. To elaborate:

Prime 1: Wonderfully atmospheric and one of the best games for the Gamecube, but some enemies are a bitch to fight (beam pirates come to mind), the designers apparently got sadistic when designing the Phazon Mines (it's referred to as "the gauntlet." Play it and you'll know why), and GODDAMN FISSION METROIDS!

Prime 3: Liked it in general, but as a Metroid game it doesn't quite work. For one thing the story is overt and has too many characters, which doesn't work for a Metroid game. Really, it felt too much like Halo. Secondly, it was rather linear, which in the franchise that half-made Metroidvania, horribly betrays the exploration and discovery the series gameplay is about. Thirdly, parts of it seemed gimmicky, like boarding your ship and using panels. I will say that I loved the brief ice world section, however (the one where you get the screwattack, if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Super Metroid: Now this I love! The controls may take a little getting used to, but are great after that. I loved the side-scrolling action, the exploration, the fun powerups, the bosses (frustrating as Ridley may be), and the atmosphere. To keep this from being an utter gush-fest, though, Maridia(sp) was a bit dull and large.

Hunters: If I wanted to play Quake II, I'd play Quake II!

Also, I'm somewhat looking forward to Other M.

Please be Kirby Adventure, Please be Kirby Adventure, Please be Kirby Adventure, Please be Kirby Adventure, Please be Kirby Adventure, Please be Kirby Adventure, Please be Kirby Adventure, Please be Kirby Adventure.

I have waited for this game for 5 years dammnit!

A random person:

Rodyle2:

A random person:

Rodyle2:

Far enough. Personally I've played Prime 1 & 3, Super Metroid, some of Hunters, and a little bit of Zero Mission via a copy I found laying around. To elaborate:

Prime 1: Wonderfully atmospheric and one of the best games for the Gamecube, but some enemies are a bitch to fight (beam pirates come to mind), the designers apparently got sadistic when designing the Phazon Mines (it's referred to as "the gauntlet." Play it and you'll know why), and GODDAMN FISSION METROIDS!

Prime 3: Liked it in general, but as a Metroid game it doesn't quite work. For one thing the story is overt and has too many characters, which doesn't work for a Metroid game. Really, it felt too much like Halo. Secondly, it was rather linear, which in the franchise that half-made Metroidvania, horribly betrays the exploration and discovery the series gameplay is about. Thirdly, parts of it seemed gimmicky, like boarding your ship and using panels. I will say that I loved the brief ice world section, however (the one where you get the screwattack, if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Super Metroid: Now this I love! The controls may take a little getting used to, but are great after that. I loved the side-scrolling action, the exploration, the fun powerups, the bosses (frustrating as Ridley may be), and the atmosphere. To keep this from being an utter gush-fest, though, Maridia(sp) was a bit dull and large.

Hunters: If I wanted to play Quake II, I'd play Quake II!

Also, I'm somewhat looking forward to Other M.

Other M looks even more story-centric. I don't know why I couldn't get into Prime 3, but it certainly wasn't because it had a cast or that it was linear. As a matter of fact, the linearity was something I LIKED in Fusion, because it cut out all the backtracking bullshit that I loathed in, say for example, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow or Shaman King: Master of Spirits (both good games though).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here