Japan Building Berserk Killer Giant Robot

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Japan is building yet another life-sized giant robot, only this time it could very well go berserk and devour us all. Oh dear.

Japan is building yet another full-scale giant robot, but instead of being a Gundam or Tetsujin 28-go, it's EVA-01 from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The statue - from the massive bust up - will be the centerpiece of a new attraction at Japan's Fuji-Q HighLand amusement park called "Evangelion: World - Life-Size EVA-01 Construction Project," and it will be open to the public on July 23rd. If you've ever seen the massively popular Evangelion, the aim is to recreate the famous scene where protagonist Shinji Ikari encounters the biomechanical creation for the first time.

In other news, we're now all totally screwed.

If you've been reading the news posts I write here for any decent length of time, you've probably noticed that there are a few things that I love - and one of those things is giant fighting mecha. For instance, my opinions on the life-sized RX-78-2 Gundam statue pretty much boil down to "Hell yes!"

But this? This is different, because this is an Evangelion - and I don't care what they say about it just being from the "bust up." It's EVA-01; it doesn't need anything more than the bust to go berserk and eat us all. Hell, it doesn't even need a life-sized statue of a wimpy, emo teenage pilot to do that, either! It's a goddamn Eva unit, and it will kill us all before long. Just you wait.

According to ANN, the pavilion will also have a recreation of the EVA cockpit in which visitors can take pictures, a life-sized figure of the character Kaworu Nagisu to have creepy sexual tension with everybody who passes by, a museum and a gift shop. Of course there's a gift shop.

Presumably, the attraction will also feature actors dressed as visitors' fathers to coldly shun them and deny them the affection and approval they desperately seek.

On the plus side, while EVA-01 might go berserk and destroy the world by turning us all into Tang as we reform a singular, base human consciousness, at least the statue makes a good opportunity for some Evangelion jokes. Seriously guys, I got a million of 'em.

(EVA-01, via ANN, via Kotaku)

And in a few years they can remake it with 85% less angst and depression!

meh.....if they made a life size giant rei, I would have been more psych.

When are they going to make a full-size Armored Core?

We can control giant robots. Evas are completely different. I don't think we have anyone emo enough to control unit 01.

Why is Japan building these giant robot "models" ? I feel like there is something considerably more sinister going on, probably involving the souls of orphans (or, you know, their mothers)

I'm waiting for the version where you actually get to sit in that giant silvery dildo that serves as a cockpit. I can almost hear the little kids now... "Daddy, why is my body turning into liquid...?"

Another thing to go to Japan just to see.

And we're well ahead of schedule for 2014. Third impact here we come! Nice knowing you, world.

Goddamnit, we in the UK never build anything nearly as awesome. I'm still planning to ask my local council to build a giant replica doomsday weapon, I think it would bring lots of tourism in. Also, think of the badassness.

Another one!? Damn Japan, you guys always amaze me.

Hey US, you should do what their doing and build giant robots as well.

While we are on the subject....is Evangelion worth watching? I am a preety staunch hater of Super Robots in general (although there are exceptions), but I hear a lot of good things about Evangelion.

Anyone who can provide some insight?

Well Fuck...

Nice knowing you guys, where going to fucking die.

@Tom Phoenix: I'd say give it a look. Maybe try the new 'Rebuild of Evangelion' movies as they're supposed to be more intelligible. Whilst they're not exactly Gundams, Evangelion is much closer to the 'real robot' genre than any sort of 'super robot' show.

Oh god! I want so much! Thats complete Epicness!

Now, Ill be waiting for this to be complete for sure!

A live sized EVA-01? Jeez, that thing doesn't even need to come alive and destroy us all. The design of that thing is enough to inflict nightmares of children anywhere in the area.

Although I am curious... will they plug it in with a giant cable? Because that kind of detail would be awesome.

John Funk:

But this? This is different, because this is an Evangelion - and I don't care what they say about it just being from the "bust up." It's EVA-01; it doesn't need anything more than the bust to go berserk and eat us all. Hell, it doesn't even need a life-sized statue of a wimpy, emo teenage pilot to do that, either! It's a goddamn Eva unit, and it will kill us all before long. Just you wait.
Presumably, the attraction will also feature actors dressed as visitors' fathers to coldly shun them and deny them the affection and approval they desperately seek.

On the plus side, while EVA-01 might go berserk and destroy the world by turning us all into Tang as we reform a singular, base human consciousness, at least the statue makes a good opportunity for some Evangelion jokes. Seriously guys, I got a million of 'em.

You know, that sounds like a really cool amusement park. But there won't be any stupid comic-relief penguins around, will there? That little guy creeps me out...

O_O

... May god have mercy on our souls.

Ack! Soooo expensive to go see it IRL...
But where else will I get to experience being totally shunned by my father???
Oh, wait... anywhere in the world will do for that.

I hope they don't run out of money and have to make the end of the attraction a load of nonsensical bullshit.

What'll they build next I wonder, the Lancelot, Gurren Lagann, they won't be happy until the entire Tokyo skyline is just giant robot statues. (At least I hope they'll just be statues)

Anyone ever thought that maybe it starts with life size statues and then the real things come. Like the clay models for video game characters and CG movie effects. Then after the real thing is built, they'll replace the statues and BAM we're screwed. They'll use them when we least expect it and we become slaves!

Well at least it's fun to think that.

Okay, that gets a fucking WIN point. And I don't hand those out to just anybody.

Seriously though, not only does the UK/US need to do this as well, they need a life-sized (preferably fully-functioning) R-Type Delta ship. That would get two points.

This is just the first step of Japans plan to rule the world with giant robots!

go Japan!

We can take comfort in one thing.
Ittl be a while before they make Gurren Lagann, let alone Arc Gurren Lagann, Choginga Gurren Lagan or the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann itself.

paragon1:
I hope they don't run out of money and have to make the end of the attraction a load of nonsensical bullshit.

http://www.hiyoooo.com/

See? Like I said. This statue is gold for jokes :P

I hope they push it back a day. I don't want my birthday being attributed to the downfall of humanity.......

I hope after this they make a life size Getter Robo or a life size Dan from Gun*Sword.

Awesome! Why cant any other countries do this? I want a giant mech to! Though it would look odd with a giant robot standing in the capital of Sweden...But fuck that its a GIANT ROBOT!

Daystar Clarion:
We can control giant robots. Evas are completely different. I don't think we have anyone emo enough to control unit 01.

Quick, put out the call to Mike Shinoda!!!

In other news, this is awesome. I think a quote from Fallout 3 works great here.

"Well, I'm gonna walk into a mushroom cloud now... have a happy holocaust."

Tom Phoenix:
While we are on the subject....is Evangelion worth watching? I am a preety staunch hater of Super Robots in general (although there are exceptions), but I hear a lot of good things about Evangelion.

Anyone who can provide some insight?

I'm likely to start a flame war saying this, but it must be said:

Don't watch NGE.
Maybe I didn't notice the thing that made it so great, but the finale was a blatent "oh shite we ran out of budget" and even in the film that they made to ret-con the end I have never in my life been so glad seeing the "you have watched 72 minutes of megovideo" message pop up.
It did have some interesting plot hooks though (the only thing that actually kept me going through the duller parts), but was filled with so many anticlimaxes that it holds distinction in being the only anime that I hate AND have watched the whole way through.
(please don't flame me for my opinion people)

Evilsanta:
Awesome! Why cant any other countries do this? I want a giant mech to! Though it would look odd with a giant robot standing in the capital of Sweden...But fuck that its a GIANT ROBOT!

Two words... Nobel Gundam. (10 points to whoever gets this reference)

If I ever find myself in Japan, I might very well check this out. Of course, once they build a Gurren Lagann statue, we're screwed.

paragon1:

It's OK; if that happens, they'll make a much rougher, nightmare-inducing version of the rides end in a few years.

Also,

kamisama302:
Why is Japan building these giant robot "models" ? I feel like there is something considerably more awesome going on, probably involving Segato Sanshiro.

Fixed.

Aeshi:

That's a good question.
It'd be cheaper to build a 1/1 AC instead of a 1/1 Gundam or Eva as AC's are much, much smaller than Mobile Suits.

OT: A.) You ninja'd me Funk... How dare you.
B.) I really could have gone without another reason to need to go to Japan.

I'd panic if the statue, repeat for good measure; STATUE had any kind of sentience of programming within it >__>

Aeshi:

Thank you! i've been asking this for years!

Frank_Sinatra_:

Aeshi:

That's a good question.
It'd be cheaper to build a 1/1 AC instead of a 1/1 Gundam or Eva as AC's are much, much smaller than Mobile suits.

And this is some of the better logic I've heard in favor of it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here