Humble Indie Bundle Breaks a Million Bucks

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Billion Backs:
And above all, I'm annoyed at people using "the way I was raised!", "my religion!" and so on as an argument to support their judgement of others. You know the key word in "the way I was raised"? Yes, it's "I". And when it comes to completely legal matters - whether you care about laws or not - using that excuse is just pathetic.

that, and the "that's the way I was raised" argument let overt racism and sexism go on for a lot longer then it needed to.

"I don't hate blacks because of something they did, I hate blacks because my father hates blacks and he raised me to hate blacks"

be your own fucking guide.. If you think something is wrong, don't point to your upbringing and say "look how noble I am?"

GiantRedButton:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

If you're such a retarded dick as to think paying $0.01 for five games is a good thing, just fucking pirate it and be less of a dick?

No because thats illegal.

Paying £0.01 is not

I aggree with you.
Still think about it.
If you pay 0.01 cent, they don't get any of it because of processing fees. But they have to pay bandwith fees.
If you pirate it, its better for them because they don't loose money.
They do loose money when you pay 0.01 cent.

If they didn't want people to do that, the should have a minimum price of a dollar or so, nothing wrong with paying the minimum prize for a produkt if it's offered to you.

Billion Backs:

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

If you're such a retarded dick as to think paying $0.01 for five games is a good thing, just fucking pirate it and be less of a dick?

Paying £0.01 is not

Doesn't make you any less of a dick.

Billion Backs:
It's not exploiting, it's using the system for the reasons it was created in the first place.

The people who payed 0.01$ didn't do anything wrong by any means, they were presented with a choice to make a variable payment (or not make it at all, considering piracy) and they payed for it. There's no shame in that.

You make something, you ask someone how much they think it's worth. They say "one cent," are you overjoyed or do you think they're a stupid dick?

"hurr derr i r supr smar cuz dey r let me pay wut i want i pay $0.01 cuz i smar!!" is what I'm saying/seeing here.

From objective point of view - that is, looking at the laws and not some stupid subjective morality, the person who makes the payment of 0.01$ is entirely in the right.

Why do I care how much they think it's worth? They're letting the buyer choose, and the buyer can choose whatever he or she wants. There's no objective value to products, it all depends on the buyer.

If the seller didn't want people to take the advantage, maybe he shouldn't have presented it.

I really am annoyed by people like you who try to guilt trip everyone into submission. It's like the damn fucking charities. No means no, and I couldn't care any less if I couldn't care any less. It's like some kind of forced volunteerism - "suuuure, you don't have to do it! But if you don't, you'll get punished!", the same idea you propose, except perhaps not as harsh as it comes to punishment.

And above all, I'm annoyed at people using "the way I was raised!", "my religion!" and so on as an argument to support their judgement of others. You know the key word in "the way I was raised"? Yes, it's "I". And when it comes to completely legal matters - whether you care about laws or not - using that excuse is just pathetic.

The way I was raised, women shouldn't vote! Hur. I'm immune to criticism! All of you dern commie feminist liberal scum, with your votin' and your empowerment! Hurp.

Yeah, it's a bad comparison and pretty pointless as badly written satire goes.

"The way I was raised" is typically used to add some sort of veneration to what a person is saying. "My parents taught me this, their parents taught them this, and so forth." Leaving a tip of a few cents is calculated douchery. Not leaving a tip is simple forgetfulness. "the was I was raised" is almost completely unnecessary in this case, as leaving a tip of a penny for any reason makes you a dick. Justifying it makes you a bigger dick ("derp i liek 2 see dem try 2 maek me leav 15%"). I'm just saying that if you're already going to be a dick about it, why not just be a smaller dick and pirate it?

Last time I checked, the number one detonator payed $3333.
Number 2 payed $1337
Both of these guys are winnars.
Me? I'm paying a dollar or 50c (if I start running low) for each copy I buy, since I'm gifting it to a whole lotta people.

Yes they have the right to pay 0.01 whatever. In the same way I have the right to "judge them by my own hideous standards". That's not illegal either. If anything, most people judge others anyway, for whatever reason. Not ideal, but thats how it is. If you end up being affected by that judgement (e.g. feeling guilt) thats your lack of conviction.

The seller operates on good will, and you expect they'll receive a wide variety of donations. Imagine a normal distribution (inaccurate model but just an example). I have the ability to admit that the guy at the top is more generous than me. By the same logic the guy donating one cent should admit he's cheap. Objectively its true.

Hopeless Bastard:
why not just be a smaller dick and pirate it?

Because that would be illegal.

I don't understand how you dont get that.

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

I just don't get how people hold "law" to such a high regard.

Segregation and slavery were legal at one point. Does that mean the people who enforced/partook were not dicks?

Hopeless Bastard:
"The way I was raised" is typically used to add some sort of veneration to what a person is saying. "My parents taught me this, their parents taught them this, and so forth." Leaving a tip of a few cents is calculated douchery. Not leaving a tip is simple forgetfulness. "the was I was raised" is almost completely unnecessary in this case, as leaving a tip of a penny for any reason makes you a dick. Justifying it makes you a bigger dick ("derp i liek 2 see dem try 2 maek me leav 15%"). I'm just saying that if you're already going to be a dick about it, why not just be a smaller dick and pirate it?

You know what they say about dicks, the bigger the better. Hurp.

Although I must thank you for this awesome excuse, "No officer! I wasn't stealing this! I just forgot to pay!". And no, no long rants on how pirating is different from stealing, please. All the people who care already know, and those who don't, well, don't.

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Segregation and slavery were legal at one point. Does that mean the people who enforced/partook were not dicks?

Your quite obviously a troll, So I'm going to ignore you.

On Topic: I'm really glad they made so much money, fills me with happiness.

Hopeless Bastard:

Billion Backs:

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Paying £0.01 is not

Doesn't make you any less of a dick.

Billion Backs:
It's not exploiting, it's using the system for the reasons it was created in the first place.

The people who payed 0.01$ didn't do anything wrong by any means, they were presented with a choice to make a variable payment (or not make it at all, considering piracy) and they payed for it. There's no shame in that.

You make something, you ask someone how much they think it's worth. They say "one cent," are you overjoyed or do you think they're a stupid dick?

"hurr derr i r supr smar cuz dey r let me pay wut i want i pay $0.01 cuz i smar!!" is what I'm saying/seeing here.

From objective point of view - that is, looking at the laws and not some stupid subjective morality, the person who makes the payment of 0.01$ is entirely in the right.

Why do I care how much they think it's worth? They're letting the buyer choose, and the buyer can choose whatever he or she wants. There's no objective value to products, it all depends on the buyer.

If the seller didn't want people to take the advantage, maybe he shouldn't have presented it.

I really am annoyed by people like you who try to guilt trip everyone into submission. It's like the damn fucking charities. No means no, and I couldn't care any less if I couldn't care any less. It's like some kind of forced volunteerism - "suuuure, you don't have to do it! But if you don't, you'll get punished!", the same idea you propose, except perhaps not as harsh as it comes to punishment.

The way I was raised, women shouldn't vote! Hur. I'm immune to criticism! All of you dern commie feminist liberal scum, with your votin' and your empowerment! Hurp.

Yeah, it's a bad comparison and pretty pointless as badly written satire goes.

I have a better idea, why don't you get your over inflated ego under control and stfu? Seriously, don't force your ideals down other people's throats. The only one I've seen who looks like a dick here is you. Yes, we get it, you think it's wrong, but don't insult people for disagreeing with you.

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

I think he does get it.
He just finds it worrying that the only thing keeping you in line is the law. You know for things like murder... (Yes other factors apply, differences do exist but if thats the main point you want to stress in your debate...)

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Objectively, yes, they weren't dicks. From the perspective of the law, at least.

Which is the only thing that really matters, because I'd like to see some random asshole put me in jail because they don't like my face.

Being generally amoral anarchist, or at least trying to be, laws don't personally matter to me too much. But they're the only objective thing as so called "morality" goes, so if you need a good excuse for something, rely on the laws =p

And above all, laws are generally enforced by too much, well, force for a single individual or even a small group to handle. So if you can't hide what you're doing, it might be a better idea to go along with the law. Of course, as far as legally gray areas that are easily concealed go, knock yourself out.

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Your quite obviously a troll, So I'm going to ignore you.

On Topic: I'm really glad they made so much money, fills me with happiness.

Well, before you go, the only valid definition of trolling is someone posting specifically to anger other people. But that does not mean people who make you angry are trolls. Or that people who take controversial stances (such as the inherent flaws of holding "law" to any regard) are trolls.

I mean, if you're going to dismiss people, just do it. Don't hide behind some internet mimetic.

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:
Rant

Look, I was offered the chance to get 5 great games for any price I wanted, I picked to pay the lowest price.

It wasn't because I don't want to support the developers, its because I can't afford to spend say,$10 on something I can get for $0.01.

Get over yourself.

You could have just gotten it for free and actually been less of a dick.

You were raised to believe that people who tip chump change are dicks. I was raised to believe that people like you are raving asshat loonies. That doesn't give me the right to not shut up about what a raving asshat loony you are.

Stop holding people to your standards.

I fear this has derailed, from celebrating the (varying) generosity of ALL the contributors. In any case, good job Wolfire et al.

I didn't even know about this one! Last deal I'd seen that was similar was the phenomenal Crayon Physics Deluxe. I love how these developers think. I'm the kind of man that if there was a game I wanted to buy, but felt it was overpriced I'd either rent it move on to something else and pick it up used. I understand not all games can (or should) follow this model, but it one of the most progressive in terms of game marketing I've seen in quite some time.

Thanks for the link, Andy. I'm giving this one a look!

Edit:
LOL, their rap video was really nerdy!

$.01 isn't much better than piracy, piracy shows laziness, and $1< shows support. Guess which I'm going with when I figure out how to get Steam working?

Hmm, yet more evidence that DRM does not work. The bundle with no protection became a massive financial success.

For the record I donated $100 to the Electronic Frontier Foundation through the bundle to try to fight all this DRM/IP law/DMCA BS.

This is a fantastic deal and I'm happy to help spread the word. Also happy to see that so many of you guys are supporting it. It is unfortunate that these conversations are so easily derailed into schoolyard shit-flinging (and for the record, legal or not, if you paid a penny for this you are being a dick) but that's just the nature of things, I guess.

But let's try and focus: Some deserving game devs made money, worthy charities made money and we got a great deal on a great bunch of games. I'd say this is a win for everybody and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more of these "pay what you want" sales popping up in the future.

Andy Chalk:
This is a fantastic deal and I'm happy to help spread the word. Also happy to see that so many of you guys are supporting it. It is unfortunate that these conversations are so easily derailed into schoolyard shit-flinging (and for the record, legal or not, if you paid a penny for this you are being a dick) but that's just the nature of things, I guess.

But let's try and focus: Some deserving game devs made money, worthy charities made money and we got a great deal on a great bunch of games. I'd say this is a win for everybody and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more of these "pay what you want" sales popping up in the future.

Every little bit of that post...

...is fact.

Andy Chalk:
(and for the record, legal or not, if you paid a penny for this you are being a dick)

To be totally fair, it was promoted on this site as being a one cent purchase, by you no less.

But I am happy to say me and several thousand other people gladly paid more.

rembrandtqeinstein:
I'm excited about Penumbra, I heard it was actually a scary game.

As scary as the quality of your speakers and relative light of the room. Oh also having a few friends to hype it helps as well.

Once we're over the humble pricing of the bundle can we get excited about these games going open source?

I can't wait to see what people do with Penumbra, you could make some really good FPS adventure stories with that engine, or go the same route and do horror.

rembrandtqeinstein:
No DRM, independent publishers, and a good attitude gets my money.

Amen to that. That's what I felt like aswell, contributed an amazing 6$.

Hopeless Bastard:
For all the people paying down $0.01, I was raised to believe its ruder to leave a tip consisting of loose change or a penny than to not leave a tip at all.

So you'd rather everyone who paid one cent have stolen it and have less money going to charity and the developers? I consider it paying to play the games like a demo, then donate more if I feel like it later or even buy their later releases at the full price. Or would that make you cry too?

Legendsmith:
Last time I checked, the number one detonator payed $3333.
Number 2 payed $1337
Both of these guys are winnars.
Me? I'm paying a dollar or 50c (if I start running low) for each copy I buy, since I'm gifting it to a whole lotta people.

It would be even funnier if someone made a typo and payed that much unintentionally =p

Billion Backs:

Hopeless Bastard:
For all the people paying down $0.01, I was raised to believe its ruder to leave a tip consisting of loose change or a penny than to not leave a tip at all.

So I assume you were also raised to believe that it's your responsibility to judge everyone, by your own hideous standards at that?

Flexible prices are flexible. If they didn't expect some people to pay 1 cent, they wouldn't have made it, you know, so flexible. Don't hate the players, hate the game, is what I'm saying.

Sorry but why hate the game?
Plus I doubt the developers thought everyone who bought it would pay $0.01 cent so really maybe the developers moral standards were too high but expecting the people who buy their game's to pay a decent amount(especially when some of it goes to charity)isen't really too much to ask.

Independent Developers would be wise to collaborate on a general purpose Open Source game engine. They could still charge for all the Art.

Doomsday11:

Billion Backs:

Hopeless Bastard:

So I assume you were also raised to believe that it's your responsibility to judge everyone, by your own hideous standards at that?

Flexible prices are flexible. If they didn't expect some people to pay 1 cent, they wouldn't have made it, you know, so flexible. Don't hate the players, hate the game, is what I'm saying.

Sorry but why hate the game?
Plus I doubt the developers thought everyone who bought it would pay $0.01 cent so really maybe the developers moral standards were too high but expecting the people who buy their game's to pay a decent amount(especially when some of it goes to charity)isen't really too much to ask.

"The game" in this case (You just lost it, by the way ) is referring to the method of payment that was voluntary chosen by the sellers. Variable price with no defined minimum.

Don't blame the people,"the players", for being advantageous enough to use the benefits they're granted by the established rules of this transaction, "the game", to full extent.

The rest is pretty subjective and thus not very important. If I bought this "bundle", I'd give all the money to the developers. No charity's gonna see any of my money, I don't trust those buggers. But then again, I didn't buy it. I already own "Gish" for many years (although the version they're selling might be somehow updated, I don't know. I've got mine like back in 2003 or 4), and I don't have enough time to play games at the moment anyways.

Expecting people to follow your moral standards when not doing so doesn't result in any penalty is a losing scenario. Either establish the rules, or don't expect.

I got this even though I've already played World of Goo (and Samorost 2) because it's just a good cause, and such a good deal.

My two cents: Penumbra is genuinely terrifying. It's an incredible experience.

I am an European and contributed via Paypal.

I think this is a marvelous experiment and I am glad it had a happy ending, despite some pathetic persons that pirated this game. I hope more studios will take not to this, you don't have to charge us €60 euros for a game, you can still make a formidable profit unless you are producing a top AAA+ title.

Billion Backs:
[quote="Doomsday11" post="7.194348.6193585"]
Bunch of hogwash.

I pretty much loled at this whole thread. If you paid 1 penny, regardless of whether or not they let you, you're being a dick. Why?

They say there is no "middle-man" in this. Well they're lying. They are Amazon, Paypal, and Google Checkout respectfully. And they are just OVERJOYED you paid 1 penny for a transaction that the merchant usually puts on you. Why? Go look at the numbers, of what's been raised they have made over $100,000 dollars off of this.

Sure, they let you pick the minimum. But now you just cost them money, were you in your right? Well sure. It's also in my right to call everyone a dick who just wanted to exploit the system.

Piracy helped them in this case. For fuck's sake have common sense, and DON'T pay for it if all you can spare is a fucking penny. You cost them money and some one ELSE is buying it for you at that point.

No matter how you justify your behavior, you cost them money. If that blows your skirt up, then more power to you. Dick :)

Xersues:

Billion Backs:
[quote="Doomsday11" post="7.194348.6193585"]
Bunch of hogwash.

I pretty much loled at this whole thread. If you paid 1 penny, regardless of whether or not they let you, you're being a dick. Why?

They say there is no "middle-man" in this. Well they're lying. They are Amazon, Paypal, and Google Checkout respectfully. And they are just OVERJOYED you paid 1 penny for a transaction that the merchant usually puts on you. Why? Go look at the numbers, of what's been raised they have made over $100,000 dollars off of this.

Sure, they let you pick the minimum. But now you just cost them money, were you in your right? Well sure. It's also in my right to call everyone a dick who just wanted to exploit the system.

Piracy helped them in this case. For fuck's sake have common sense, and DON'T pay for it if all you can spare is a fucking penny. You cost them money and some one ELSE is buying it for you at that point.

No matter how you justify your behavior, you cost them money. If that blows your skirt up, then more power to you. Dick :)

So now we stoop to the level of personal attacks.

Costing someone money doesn't make one a dick. I could use a coupon that allows me free stuff somewhere I usually shop/eat at, thus making them lose one effective sale. Does that make me a dick?

Since shit flinging is already present here, ya'll are assholes who do nothing but keep pushing some kind of flawed moral standard on others. People who payed 0.01$ played by the rules, and playing by the rules doesn't make you a dick, objectively speaking if that's at all possible in this situation.

Billion Backs:
[quote="Xersues" post="7.194348.6194348"]
whine

Coupons are prepaid sales by choice of the retailer and generally have NOTHING to do with charity. Ok ok, since you want to live in your happy world you get to and miss the point of the endeavor. You just enjoy those games.

I'm actually surprised how much money Amazon/Paypal/Google make off of these, it's ridiculous. Gish is calling!

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:
Rant

Look, I was offered the chance to get 5 great games for any price I wanted, I picked to pay the lowest price.

It wasn't because I don't want to support the developers, its because I can't afford to spend say,$10 on something I can get for $0.01.

Get over yourself.

You could have just gotten it for free and actually been less of a dick.

The developers knowingly offered the bundle for $0.01. It's not like they weren't expecting it. If they actually cared about people paying that much as much as you do, they wouldn't have offered it in the first place.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here