Comic Book Tribute to Firefly's Wash Launches in June

Patton Oswalt is tackling the past of Firefly's Wash in a comic book set to be released within the next few weeks.

Many fans of Joss Whedon's sci-fi television show Firefly, and associated movie Serenity, might still be pretty angry about the cancellation of the truly awesome show, but at least it continues to live on through comic books. The next extension of the Firefly universe will be comedian Patton Oswalt's Serenity: Float Out, set to hit comic book store shelves on June 2.

**Spoiler Warning: If you haven't seen Serenity a key occurrence will be spoiled in the rest of this post**

A preview of the book is over on io9. Patton Oswalt has penned a few comic book stories before so he's not a total noob here, plus he's a huge Firefly fan.

Float Out covers three tales of Hoban "Wash" Washburne, the pilot of Firefly's ship Serenity, before he was killed in the Serenity movie. That was the spoiler right there. Float Out is told through three old friends of Wash not met before in the series. As they christen a new ship and name it the Jet Wash after the deceased pilot, they tell harrowing tales of Wash's pre-Firefly exploits.

The Dark Horse Comics description of Float Out says: "Featuring a cameo that will leave Serenity fans reeling, this special one-shot presents new tales of the Serenity universe's past and tantalizing hints about its future!" Does this mean it will somehow lead in to the finally revealed secrets of Shepard Book coming in November? Either way I'll be camping outside my local comic book store on June 2.

Via: io9

How good was this series anyway?I keep hearing about it,and now this!

Didn't it have only 13 episodes or something?What happened?

PurpleSky:

FOX did its usual thing of cancelling anything thats good. And the series was awesome.

OT: Sounds cool. Granted comics aren't usually my thing, I may check this out.

November for the Book one's? That's a long wait!

If only we had a comic book store... Well, maybe Amazon will have it. I love Wash and always hated the fact that they never told much about his past. Glad they set it right now.

Harrowing tales of before he piloted the Serenity, hmm? Seeing him in that hawaiian shirt alone would be harrowing enough. And the moustache. That's an image you can't erase.

PurpleSky:

Firefly is so good, I slapped one of my friends for saying he had downloaded it, liked it and then not bought it.

I physically forced him to buy the box set.

"There's just... Something about him I don't like." I'm expecting to see that mustache somewhere in this book. At least once.
As for the secrets of Shephard Book, all I have to say is after all this time it'd better be a well told story.

You had me at Patton Oswalt. The man is a comedic genius.

PurpleSky:

That is such a long, horrible story. Some exec at Fox had a grudge against the show for some reason, and saw to it that it was absolutely fucked. Kept switching its schedule so people couldn't keep track of when it was on, played episodes way out of order (the two-part first episode didn't air until the series was cancelled), and then axed it when it wasn't performing well in the ratings. Fox must never be forgiven.

And then Whedon went back to them for Dollhouse, and it seemed almost like he wasn't going to get screwed this time. And then came the second season.

Gonna be Sweet!

This has put me in a good mood that will last all day. :)

Kavonde:

PurpleSky:

That is such a long, horrible story. Some exec at Fox had a grudge against the show for some reason, and saw to it that it was absolutely fucked. Kept switching its schedule so people couldn't keep track of when it was on, played episodes way out of order (the two-part first episode didn't air until the series was cancelled), and then axed it when it wasn't performing well in the ratings. Fox must never be forgiven.

And then Whedon went back to them for Dollhouse, and it seemed almost like he wasn't going to get screwed this time. And then came the second season.

Why does he keep going back to Fox? Everything he has done there they have screwed him over with. Makes no sense.

I hope they do comics based on other characters from the show.

008Zulu:

Kavonde:

PurpleSky:

Why does he keep going back to Fox? Everything he has done there they have screwed him over with. Makes no sense.

I hope they do comics based on other characters from the show.

Maybe he likes pain?

008Zulu:

It struck me as odd aswell, he has not fared well with them at all.
Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this now, it should be fun! Hopefully better than Better Days, that was pretty disappointing.

Tom Goldman:

Patton Oswalt is tackling the past of Firefly's Wash in a comic book set to be released within the next few weeks.

Many fans of Joss Whedon's sci-fi television show Firefly, and associated movie Serenity, might still be pretty angry about the cancellation of the truly awesome show, but at least it continues to live on through comic books. The next extension of the Firefly universe will be comedian Patton Oswalt's Serenity: Float Out, set to hit comic book store shelves on June 2.

**Spoiler Warning: If you haven't seen Serenity a key occurrence will be spoiled in the rest of this post**

A preview of the book is over on io9. Patton Oswalt has penned a few comic book stories before so he's not a total noob here, plus he's a huge Firefly fan.

Float Out covers three tales of Hoban "Wash" Washburne, the pilot of Firefly's ship Serenity, before he was killed in the Serenity movie. That was the spoiler right there. Float Out is told through three old friends of Wash not met before in the series. As they christen a new ship and name it the Jet Wash after the deceased pilot, they tell harrowing tales of Wash's pre-Firefly exploits.

The Dark Horse Comics description of Float Out says: "Featuring a cameo that will leave Serenity fans reeling, this special one-shot presents new tales of the Serenity universe's past and tantalizing hints about its future!" Does this mean it will somehow lead in to the finally revealed secrets of Shepard Book coming in November? Either way I'll be camping outside my local comic book store on June 2.

Via: io9

That looks NOTHING like Wash.

Digikid:

Looks a lot more like Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wearing a blonde wig.

Nonetheless, this looks like it had promise. I actually let out a little whimper when poor Wash bit it in the movie. What a way to go.

The Rogue Wolf:

Digikid:

Looks a lot more like Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wearing a blonde wig.

Nonetheless, this looks like it had promise. I actually let out a little whimper when poor Wash bit it in the movie. What a way to go.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice!!!!!!

Tom Goldman:

Plus he's FUCKEN AWESOME! I love Patton Oswalt!

I thought the series was okay, I work at a comic store so I'll definitely take a look.

el sparko:

PurpleSky:

Firefly is so good, I slapped one of my friends for saying he had downloaded it, liked it and then not bought it.

I physically forced him to buy the box set.

It's so good, I JUST bought a box set of the DVD's for my friend yesterday, after she said she hadn't seen it, while celebrating Joss Whedon's Director's role on the new Avengers movie.

The creator of firefly actually said that he had only planned to make one season because he thought it would work much better as a movie.

Can't wait for this book!!!

I'm so excited about this! Wash was always my favorite character, but I love Firefly in general. I'll have to get Book's when it comes out as well. ^^

Firefly was an amazing show, we all know that. I'm very angered that it got cancelled. But the way Joss Whedon killed Wash in Serenity angers me even more. He deserved a more dramatic death, what with being a main character for a whole season and all.

A cameo? I'm glistening with glee already.

Furism:
Firefly was an amazing show, we all know that. I'm very angered that it got cancelled. But the way Joss Whedon killed Wash in Serenity angers me even more. He deserved a more dramatic death, what with being a main character for a whole season and all.

That was the best way to kill him. You deify somebody, and then they die like a human. Top-notch storytelling right there.

Am I the only one who finds the man in that picture really ugly? It looks nothing like Steve the Pirate Wash, he looks more like some deformed brute from a fairytale and the painfully obvious blonde hair and blue eyes seem almost nazi in ther depiction. Art is fairly important in comics and I know I'll have trouble reading it if that perfect nazi cross ape cross Chell from Portal thing shows up in nearly every pannel.

Anyway, I hate reading/watching something with a character that I like who dies later on. You always get reminded of it.

Ill have to look into this. Loved Wash as a character, and, to see some of his past should be pretty cool ^^

patton oswalt does a great send up the the Star Wars prequels here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y

IslandManJack:
The creator of firefly actually said that he had only planned to make one season because he thought it would work much better as a movie.

[citation seriously fucking needed]

Joss Whedon is still bitter about Firefly's cancellation. I think the only people more pissed off about it are us fans.

Tom Goldman:

My guess is that no, it won't be Shepherd Book. Notice how the quote says Serenity fans, not Firefly fans? It'll more likely be a character from the movie; the Operative, Mr Universe or someone.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here