Jake Gyllenhaal to Game Executives: Call Me

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Jake Gyllenhaal to Game Executives: Call Me

Prince of Persia star Jake Gyllenhaal says he'd be "totally into" lending his voice to a future Prince of Persia videogame and that no matter what Roger Ebert says, he thinks games are art, too.

Some movie stars get involved in videogame tie-ins because they're contractually obligated to do so. A gushing Gyllenhaal, on the other hand, sounded more like he was ready to go bang on Bobby Kotick's door and ask for a job.

"Oh yeah. Of course," he replied, when asked if he'd be willing to do some voice acting in a future game. "It would be an honor. If other people in the games industry are anywhere near as cool as [Prince of Persia game creator and movie scriptwriter] Jordan Mechner then without a doubt. In fact, even if they're not. I'd be totally into it."

"Of course, it depends on what it is and what the story is - but if game makers read this, I'm interested," he added. "It's all about the story with me."

Further burnishing his gamer cred, Gyllenhaal waded into the "games as art" debate, giving at least the appearance of someone who's put some thought into the question. "Without a doubt - it is art. This is art, you know?" he said. "Following your creative instinct is art, no doubt. Yeah, there's a big business behind it and that's for sure, but for me, it's an artistic choice."

Well said, Jake. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time opens in theaters across North America on May 28.

Source: CVG

I want to reserve my judgement on him, I want to see the film first.

But, if, he is cool, and it does it justice. I would love to see him going further in the role

We'll see... Mr Gyllenhaal. Lets just see how good you are before you ask for anything of this Calibre.

Calumon: Oh and heads up to Prince of Persia fans, the next one isn't that great. I can see the future! ^^

Well I hope the movie is good if so the fans might want him to do the voice of the Prince instead Nolan North

Okay, I am so seeing this movie, not only does it look good even the main actor knows what he is talking about when it comes to games! Jake, you are now up there with my favourite actors.

I'm tempted to see the film now. If only because I'm actually starting to like him based on what he's been saying about the game industry and why he took the role of the Prince lately.

Lets see first, lets see...

Ive actually heard more about the movie than the game, but might check it out.

It'd be nice to have decent voice acting in games for a change :]

It's just nice to see someone that feels connected with what they're doing. Even if he's not the biggest gamer, he attacks this sort of thing with a reckless abandon-based sense of intrigue. This is what happens when our generation starts to get old.

I predict that the movie will be horrible, but I'm going to see it anyway so I can get all fanboy on its behind.

Still, I like how Gyllenhaal thinks, I'll reserve judgement of him for the future.

Why would he bang on Kotick's door? Ubisoft would be crushed if he did that.

No Gyllenhaal mispellings?

For shame Andy.

...I wouldn't mind that...it might be fun!

Respect to Jake. When I open up my game studio in Houston, Texas I will call upon Jake's voice and his chesty-ness

Anyone have Forgotten Sands yet, speaking of PoP? I picked up Alan Wake and Red Dead, and hope I didn't miss out of another great PoP game...

Jake Gyllenhaal then went on to describe gamers as "totally awesome", before adding "please be my friend! i'm so lonely"

I'm starting to like this guy.

Damnit, now I have to check out the game and movie too, like I wasn't already broke.

Everyday he's garnering more and more respect from me.

Hey, Gillen-hoola-hey's a good actor, I'm sure he'd be great in VO work. I wouldn't want him to do the Prince (that should only ever be the guy who voiced him in the SoT game) but I imagine him to have a Nolan-North-but-not-thank-God quality of work.

Nothing against Nolan North, but he can't be in everything.

CAN HE?

Wow, you went through an entire article without calling him gyllenheimlich, or gyllenjellopuddin' or something like that.

First, show us the movie. Then we will see if his enthusiasm will pull anything off.

Woodsey:
Hey, Gillen-hoola-hey's a good actor, I'm sure he'd be great in VO work. I wouldn't want him to do the Prince (that should only ever be the guy who voiced him in the SoT game) but I imagine him to have a Nolan-North-but-not-thank-God quality of work.

CAN HE?

Oh, he can. It's called human cloning. Gyllenhaal is gaining more tentative respect from me though it might just be lip service. Who knows.

I am hoping this film is good or at least not terrible, I love that series.

Ass kissing so gamers will go see the movie?
Genuinely interested in working in the video game industry?

Apathy is preventing me from picking one.

Gyllenhallingass seems pretty genuine, you rarely see "Totally" in something a TV executive wanted scripted into the PR unless they're having a child say it, or its ironic.

Still, the movie is going to be bad. I saw the trailer before Iron Man 2, and they NAMED him! He had a name, jerks! Prince! Now he's Dustin or Destin or whatever. He's the hero formerly known as Prince!

Jake Gyllenhaal...as the prince...of Persia.Is anybody else bothered by this?

I was certainly planning to see the movie anyway, but this doesn't hurt my interest level. :)

I'm not sure if I trust his words... but at least he didn't say he's hardcore[1] because he hums the Super Mario theme song in the shower.

[1] For the record: I don't believe in the hardcore or casual, just levels of enthusiasm.

Nice, Jake! I can understand him. If someone offered me to voice a character in a game, I'd be totally cool with it too!

Yostbeef:
Jake Gyllenhaal...as the prince...of Persia.Is anybody else bothered by this?

Nah, I'm not bothered because he actually look a lot like the prince in my opinion. Besides, it's not like the Prince in the games wasn't clearly American.

Good PR Move of the Year.

I really like this guy so far. He seems to have a good sense of humor, and in general seems to be really putting his all into this movie and everything surrounding it.

Kudos to you, Jake!

I dunno, I'm starting to like him now. Either the role is getting him into gaming, or he's got a damn good PR agent feeding him all the right lines. I suppose we'll see where the true lines are drawn once the movie is out and the reviews are in.

Woodsey:

CAN HE?

If not, it won't be for lack of trying.

That's great and all, but why would a game studio pay him millions for voice work when they can probably get the other guy for under half the price?

Baron Khaine:
No Gyllenhaal mispellings?

For shame Andy.

Actually, I think it's just Funk that makes fun of his name. It's a bit weird seeing his actual name for a change though...

I always liked Jake Gyllenhaal. If he wants to break into the gaming industry, then more power to him. His opinion on the whole art debate however, while nice, don't affect my opinion of him in the slightest.

Crunchy English:
Gyllenhallingass seems pretty genuine, you rarely see "Totally" in something a TV executive wanted scripted into the PR unless they're having a child say it, or its ironic.

Still, the movie is going to be bad. I saw the trailer before Iron Man 2, and they NAMED him! He had a name, jerks! Prince! Now he's Dustin or Destin or whatever. He's the hero formerly known as Prince!

*cough* Prince Dastan would be the correct name.

And I'll explain why. I come from a persian falimy yadda yadda and so forth. The word "Dastan" litterally means "history" or "adventure" in persian, so there's your name for ya'.

I'll tolerate that name as long as it stays in that movie. I don't want it to spill all over the franchise now...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here