GameStop Test Drives PowerUp Rewards Program

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GameStop Test Drives PowerUp Rewards Program

GameStop's long anticipated rewards program has gone into beta testing with official details now available.

With online retailers and digital distribution cutting into GameStop's slice of the videogame sales pie, the chain may be looking at new methods to retain loyalty. GameStop is now testing a program called PowerUp Rewards which will give gamers more reason to put up with store employees hassling them about reserving games that don't come out for six months.

Unlike GameStop's Edge Card, which comes with a Game Informer subscription and gets customers 10% off used purchases and 10% extra on trade-ins for $14.99, the PowerUp Card is as free as a piece of advice from that crazy homeless guy on the corner. For every dollar spent on new items, members earn 10 points. For used, 20 points. Trading-in old junk that also earns 20 points per dollar.

The Edge Card will still do what it used to do, but also increases points earned by 10% and provides a few other bonuses. PowerUp points can be spent on a ton of stuff including GameStop gift cards, GameStop merchandise, restaurant or movie bonuses, iTunes gift cards, Netflix or Xbox Live subscriptions, PS3/360/Wii points cards, and even in-game exclusive items such as multiplayer character Shockwave in the upcoming Transformers: War for Cybertron.

Further, GameStop will be awarding the program's members with "Epic Reward" contest entries for each purchase. The first of these contests will be for a trip to the San Diego Comic Con, $500 in spending money, special Capcom team member passes, a custom Street Fighter illustration of your choice (Guile, I choose you), and pictures with "all the Dead Rising 2 props." Pictures with props folks! I'm not on GameStop's payroll or anything, but that trip sounds fun, especially when rewarded with it just for buying games.

More details are available at the PowerUp Rewards website. A tipster told Kotaku that it's only being tested in Ohio, Tennessee, and Missouri at this time, but is expected to go everywhere else soon.

GameStop brass has admitted that it could be powerless to stop digital sales from destroying the profits of its physical stores, but rewards programs that are absolutely free could help stem the tide. If PowerUp works out, I would expect most other retailers to mimic it somehow and compete to give videogame consumers rewards. How awesome would that be? Whether you hate GameStop or love GameStop, you can't dislike it for giving away free stuff, even if it is for the evil goal of earning profit to remain in business.

GameStop.

Well have Europe and all, plenty of ways to undermine EA and the rest of these idiotic publishers.

I've little problem with the company to begin with, but perhaps I'm biased because my oldest friend of 25+ years is the general manager at my local one.

Sounds like a neat idea. I'll give it a shot when it rolls out where I live.

That would definitely get me in the store since I loves me some used games and I especially love getting rewarded for buying stuff I'd buy anyways. Now if only I could increase my game buying from about 2-3 games a year. Damn job and sleep!

I don't see how their newest scam makes them less evil.

They came kind of late to this idea didn't they? HMV in the UK have been doing something very similar for over a year. They have some awesome offers too, signed guitars and stuff, even game studio tours.

Hm. Maybe I can get some cool shit out of this since I shop there all the time.

god. what's with the gamestop hate? mine in my local mall is practically perfect. they only ASK if you have any games you're looking forward to to reserve.

man i spend so much god darn money in there ill have 9000+ points in a year

Why is it every time there is an article about GameStop on this site the writter takes a shot at the employee's ... Seriously I work at an EB Games and they make us out to be the scum of the earth in these things.

This sounds intriguing...

I already have nothing against Gamestop, but this makes me even less likely to end up hating them.

Pat728:

Out of honest curiosity, how is a Free Card that gets you free crap for buying things you'd buy anyways a Scam?

spartan773:
god. what's with the gamestop hate? mine in my local mall is practically perfect. they only ASK if you have any games you're looking forward to to reserve.

Yeah thats not the case for the majority of people.

DynamicPenguin:
Why is it every time there is an article about GameStop on this site the writter takes a shot at the employee's ... Seriously I work at an EB Games and they make us out to be the scum of the earth in these things.

It's all in good fun. Don't forget, just about every person that writes about games has probably worked at a game store at some point :)

I dont like going to gamestop anymore. Theyre usually not helpful and I have to explain myself when I pay extra for a new game when I couldve got the same used. I knows its their job to sell used games but the fact he couldnt comprehend why id want to make sure devs get a little bit of the money means more than saving 5 pounds.

Gamegodtre:
man i spend so much god darn money in there ill have 9000+ points in a year

Its over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Goldman:

DynamicPenguin:

It's all in good fun. Don't forget, just about every person that writes about games has probably worked at a game store at some point :)

As the old saying goes, "If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?"
I work at Gamestop myself and I can admit the hassling gets annoying; I don't like it myself. But, it's my job, I like my job, so I do it.

What happens if the secret corperate masters behind both the brick and mortar stores and digital sales and such finally have enough of each other, and decide to resolve things the old fashioned way: with private armies, guns, and bombs.

Oh sure, today it's just the PowerUp card being tested, but I tell you that movie "Demolition Man" was prophetic when it talked about "The Fast Food Wars" and how "now all resteraunts are Taco Bell". The writers obviously were too terrified of talking about the gamer wars that happened around the same time... [shivers]

Trust me, this is the first step, you should start getting a bunker ready now. When STEAM infects Gamestop with killer hard energy constructs leaping through their electrical sockets the slay the employees, and gamstop strikes back with orbital lasers, lethal mind-destroying sentinent meme viruses through the network, and adaptive flesh eating bacteria warheads aimed at Valve HQ, the casualties among innocent gamers caught in the crossfire are going to be epic.

-

Sorry, slightly silly mood (or a clairvoyant vision)

This promotion seems neat, but I'm not going to get all excited until I see how far a "point" actually goes. While similar programs at Waldenbooks and the like used to be quite cool, as time went on they became quite toothless. I still remember when I basically got %10 off my books and a $5 gift card for every $100 spent. Nowadays such memberships mostly seem good for getting your personal information so they can spam you.

yay i cant wait for this also at both gamestops in my town they seem to know what their doing and they never really ask if i want to reserve anything but thats probably my listening habits

Therumancer:
What happens if the secret corperate masters behind both the brick and mortar stores and digital sales and such finally have enough of each other, and decide to resolve things the old fashioned way: with private armies, guns, and bombs.

Oh sure, today it's just the PowerUp card being tested, but I tell you that movie "Demolition Man" was prophetic when it talked about "The Fast Food Wars" and how "now all resteraunts are Taco Bell". The writers obviously were too terrified of talking about the gamer wars that happened around the same time... [shivers]

Trust me, this is the first step, you should start getting a bunker ready now. When STEAM infects Gamestop with killer hard energy constructs leaping through their electrical sockets the slay the employees, and gamstop strikes back with orbital lasers, lethal mind-destroying sentinent meme viruses through the network, and adaptive flesh eating bacteria warheads aimed at Valve HQ, the casualties among innocent gamers caught in the crossfire are going to be epic.

You know too much. Executing command protocol 462.1... >.>

So seriously, Gamestop is incentivising in order to keep customers. Seems like a good thing.

I really don't care too much about a video game retailer's desperate attempts to hold onto their cancerous position between developers and gamers, but... just how much fucking money do retailers have to pay for "new" copies?

This sounds cool. I'm stopping by Gamestop soon then. I live in Ohio and was one of those lucky people to get MW2 early. That was the best multiplayer...

Did Gamestop say something? I was too busy over here checking out all the sales and discounts on Steam.

Nice try, guys, but you lost me when your employee wouldn't shut the fuck up about Halo 3 when I was buying Europa Universalis 3. Way to prove you're a mouth-breathing fuckwit, Mike from Gamestop.

From Kotaku's post of the same press release:

According to the GameStop lackey who passed the information on the program along to us, "The rewards range from coupons for $5-$10 off purchases ranging from 4000 to 8000 points to even free Xbox 360 controllers or Turtle Beach X11 headsets for 40,000 points. Us employees get 4000 points to start off with, enough to purchase a $5 off a used game coupon or PS3 real triggers!"

40,000 points for a free Xbox 360 controller? Why, that's like spending $4000 on new games and getting an Xbox 360 controller for free!

/completely not excited

Until I can burn a digital copy to a disc to keep a physical backup without being forced into online teathers, I will still be sticking with phyiscal copies

This is actually a decent idea if they refine it right. It'll bring more people in at least.

Marik2:

spartan773:

Yeah thats not the case for the majority of people.

it's the EMPLOYEES to blame, not the company as a whole.

Wow, I am totally getting in on this. Though lucky for me, I apparently have the only non-evil gamestops. (They also follow the rules more since apparently only mine ID's people for M games.)

Pat728:

What other scam do you mean, and why would they be evil in the slightest bit?

Is your thought process clouded by the selling of used products? Did you know that people have the choice of buying a game new vs this evil 'used game' conspiracy? Or is this because 'old' people work at your local Gamestop, and you don't get mega cool info about super kewl games?

Please explain your simple post to me.

It sounds like they insulted your family, left you for dead, and then said it's all your fault! I doubt that's true, so please enlighten me.

So basically it seems to me like Best Buy's rewards program minus the paid levels of it that Best Buy has

...I'm ok with this.

WEel, you can certainly see they are trying to protect the profit margin...but, you can see from most of it pretty self-serving. Just feels sleezy

GameStop brass has admitted that it could be powerless to stop digital sales from destroying the profits of its physical stores, but rewards programs that are absolutely free could help stem the tide. If PowerUp works out, I would expect most other retailers to mimic it somehow and compete to give videogame consumers rewards. How awesome would that be? Whether you hate GameStop or love GameStop, you can't dislike it for giving away free stuff, even if it is for the evil goal of earning profit to remain in business.

I didn't think GameStop had any brick and mortar competition.

Tom Goldman:

If PowerUp works out, I would expect most other retailers to mimic it somehow and compete to give videogame consumers rewards. How awesome would that be?

Yeah, it's not like stores over here have had a much better system in operation for decades now.. All hail GameStop for their totally original idea that's not even as good as ideas that came long before it! Hail! (Also, on the subject of original ideas, can see where CAD is getting its storyline from...).

Tom Goldman:

PowerUp points can be spent on a ton of stuff including GameStop gift cards, GameStop merchandise, restaurant or movie bonuses, iTunes gift cards, Netflix or Xbox Live subscriptions, PS3/360/Wii points cards, and even in-game exclusive items such as multiplayer character Shockwave in the upcoming Transformers: War for Cybertron.

So, everything except money off on actual games then? Completely pointless. Game GB & Ireland give you 2.5% cashback on everything, including new games.

I think GAME in Australia have something like this. I've got a card in my wallet that they ask for when you buy a game. I'm not quite sure what it does, but my parents got it when they bought my xbox from GAME.

Is it only for US citizens?

Well, good news for me. I don't know why it's 20 points per dollar and shit. What the fuck does a reward cost?!

Why not 1 points per dollar.

I guess:

Bigger Numbers = Better?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.