Super Mario Crossover Adds Horribly Overpowered Ninja

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Super Mario Crossover Adds Horribly Overpowered Ninja

Ninja Gaiden's Ryu Hayabusa is joining the NES All-Star crew of Super Mario Crossover, and let's face it: Goombas and Koopas stand no chance against a ninja's blade.

If you didn't play Super Mario Crossover before back when it was our Alt+Escape game of the week, then you should go do that now. One of the best parts of the game is how all of the characters keep their abilities: Mega Man slides and charges his Mega Buster, the Contra guy gets spread shots and can crouch, and Mario is ... Mario.

That also has the side effect of making some of the characters incredibly over- (or under-)powered. Mega Man and the Contra dude are pretty powerful, but Castlevania's Simon Belmont feels gimpy as all hell. Still, judging from the trailer developer Exploding Rabbit released on its website, neither the Blue Bomber nor Bill can hold a candle to Ninja Gaiden's Ryu Hayabusa.

Seriously, just watch the trailer. The Mushroom Kingdom was clearly never built to handle freakin' ninjas.

What NES-era character do you want to show up in Super Mario Crossover next?

(Thanks, Alai!)

Although it's not a character from a side-scroller, I'd like to see the Black Mage from FF1 make an appearance.

Wow. Though after the hard time in Ninja Gaiden the Mushroom Kingdom should seem like a stroll in the park for Ryu.

I'm shocked that Exploding Rabbit hasn't gotten the lawsuits from Nintendo or any other game company on this project.

After listening to the Ninja Gaiden music at the end, all I could think of was The Amazing Brados penned tribute to the game. But I shall check out the game anyway. Seems like a bit of fun.

played as link in this game, it was quite fun, I need to go and beat it.

Know why the ninja is badass?

Have you played his Game? You were either badass enough to be in it, or you died horrible deaths!

NINJA! FTW!

Tenmar:
I'm shocked that Exploding Rabbit hasn't gotten the lawsuits from Nintendo or any other game company on this project.

he is not getting paid for it and it's for the fan and it's not getting that much attention. When it gets popular and more well known then they will shut it down like they did with a pkmn we know and loved....rest in piece pkmn rpg...rest well sweet prince

John Funk:

Micheal Jackson.

From Moonwalker.

Well as Ryu Hyabussa is one of my favourite characters ever, I'll be getting this back on the browser

Isn't NES era, but Sonic? Sonic & Mario retro team up? It would be sweet.

Wait...they made the game BETTER!?
I didn't think that was possible!
If i wasn't hooked on Fire Emblem:RD right now id go and play it.

Hmmm... Knuckles (Sonic wouldn't really bring in anything new) and maybe Kirby.

I don't think there's much opportunity in the way of cool powerups, but I'd love to see that kid from River City Ransom make an appearance. One of the Ninja Turtles would be pretty neat, too.

Oh, and just to make a character who's even harder to play as than Simon Belmont: Silver Surfer. The one that dies if you touch the floor, walls or ceiling.

Pretty freaking bad ass!!!

awesome xD ninjas ftw

I was gonna play me some Super Mario World but my friend took back his NES >.<

Heh, just what the game needed. More awesome.

Maybe the next character should be one of the battletoads.

UltimatheChosen:

Agreed. Agreed. A thousand times agreed.

I can just imagine the powers Kirby would get for sucking up his enemies!

Would love to see Samus! Would be certainly very intresting

Jaredin:
Would love to see Samus! Would be certainly very intresting

Samus is already in the game. She's kinda hard to use until you get a fire flower, at which point she can do pretty well.

The current character roster is as follows: Mario, Megaman, Samus Aran, Bill Rizer (Contra), Simon Belmot, Link, and Ryu is going to be added soon.

duchaked:
awesome xD ninjas ftw

How does not having an NES keep you from playing Super Mario World? (Just kidding, I know what you meant)

Kirby and one of the toads from Battle Toads... Maybe Snake(From the first Metal Gears), though I am thinking he wouldn't be the best character in the game.

Anyways, I've played the game, the best on it so far are: Mario and the Contra Guy. Samus and Simon are too clunky and Megaman and Link are alright.

I'd love to see Zitz or Rash from Battletoads.

RowdyRodimus:

duchaked:
awesome xD ninjas ftw

How does not having an NES keep you from playing Super Mario World? (Just kidding, I know what you meant)

lol whoops, got me there hahaha

Actually I'm surprized Mario never got a Ninja power up in his own series (Not including that Super Mario Bros. Super Show episode of course.) Guess Princess Peach should look into hiring some shinobi for the Castle Guard.

UltimatheChosen:

a Gameboy Era Kirby, complete with monochrome grey/green colorscheme would be hilarious and awesome.

They need to add Mr Higgins from Adventure Island.. and make it so that he has a secondary time limit - his coins, gotta collect them or he dies.

Bah, Shinobi would have done better. That guy is the man!

Freaking awesome vid.

He's not really that overpowered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63mGnfHSbA

- J

NINJA GAIDEN, NO SENSE IN HIDIN', ANNIHILATIN' THEM ALL

But seriously, it's annoying how this completely passed me by. brb, losing evening.

John Funk:

Zit from Battletoads.

I would like to see Kirby on that game. I think it would be really fun.

OT: Ryu does look insanely overpowered, but sort of fun to play as. I mean, climbing up walls while raping Bowser with a ninja star?

If you don't find that fun, then can we just step outside for a second Mr?

twaddle:

Tenmar:

he is not getting paid for it and it's for the fan and it's not getting that much attention. When it gets popular and more well known then they will shut it down like they did with a pkmn we know and loved....rest in piece pkmn rpg...rest well sweet prince

Agreed. It has yet to hit that "critical mass" where a fan-game's popularity suddenly becomes important for reasons that are beyond me (copyright law is copyright law. Popularity has no bearing on it).
There's a good chance that Nintendo et al, already knows about Mario-Crossover, and they're only waiting for that moment in order to be the biggest dicks they can when they finally do issue that Cease and Desist letter.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually play it themselves; seeing how that Nintendo would never front the money to actually license such an endeavor.

I want to see the monster from Monster Party, dont know why...

Cool music! I'd love to play that. Guess the Ninja Stars can't hit Ryu!

Atmos Duality:

twaddle:

Tenmar:

Agreed. It has yet to hit that "critical mass" where a fan-game's popularity suddenly becomes important for reasons that are beyond me (copyright law is copyright law. Popularity has no bearing on it).
There's a good chance that Nintendo et al, already knows about Mario-Crossover, and they're only waiting for that moment in order to be the biggest dicks they can when they finally do issue that Cease and Desist letter.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually play it themselves; seeing how that Nintendo would never front the money to actually license such an endeavor.

Nintendo isn't the only one who has the power to shut this game. The other unlicensed characters that other developers owns could hop in and make this game disappear pretty quick.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here