Sony Offering 10 Free Games to New PSPgo Users

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sony Offering 10 Free Games to New PSPgo Users

Sony is sweetening the deal for anyone with a new PSPgo owners by offering ten free games.

Sony hasn't had the easiest time selling the PSPgo since the product launched last year. It's not that it's a bad system; in fact, the handheld device is actually advanced enough that it's being labeled by some as the Dreamcast of the current console generation.

The company has earned new fans and moved more units in the recent past, though, thanks to offers for free games (such as the one that offered three free titles to users who were willing to upgrade from their first-generation PSPs). Sony is apparently planning a new, huge, such deal for anyone who's registered their PSPgo after April 1, 2010.

Speaking to MCV, SCE UK Sales Director Mark Howsen explained the deal: "On PSPgo we've decided to innovate with that particular business model. Next month we're launching a free ten game offer. And this isn't just older titles - we've worked with third parties and there's some really good core products." The MCV interview will go live later this week, but GamesIndustry.biz was able to confirm the deal's existence with Sony representatives.

The list of games is pretty impressive, and will include the following titles: Gran Turismo, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm Arctic Edge, Wipeout Pure, Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice, FIFA 2010 World Cup, Need for Speed Shift, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines and one other, unspecified, third-party title.

Needless to say, this deal is huge motivation for anyone that's been thinking about picking up a PSPgo. We can expect an official announcement from Sony in the near future.

Source: MCV

Might get one now!

LBP, GTA, and Wipeout?!

Those are some good games. The AC game isn't bad, from what I hear.

Son of a bitch! Yea, screw over the early adopters why doncha...

Sounds like they're clutching at straws a little.

Hey guys! Presenting our new tactic to retrieve some cash from this flop! It's called Despertaion!

All lame jokes aside, I'd buy one now. Even though I have a PSP already...

None of them barely interests me and from what I see some of them are I heard pretty bad. If only they put any Disgaea series, I would consider buying another psp.

I shall not be partaking in this offer, as I do not enjoy modern racing games.

Seriously, you can't convince me that racing games not featuring Mario or that have the name "Rush" in them aren't the best.

I only use mine for PS1 classics now. It's a nice portable PS1 but I can never find any good PSP games I want to buy.

Wrathful:
None of them barely interests me and from what I see some of them are I heard pretty bad. If only they put any Disgaea series, I would consider buying another psp.

It doesn't say those games aren't on there, just that it includes what is listed. Chances are you may be able to get Disgaea 1, 2, and Prinny CIRBTH with this deal...

The dreamcast actually set the standard for every console after it. Not on purpose, mind you. Sony/microsoft/nintendo had no intention of copying the dreamcast. But the dreamcast was a stripped down proprietary computer, a lite pc. Which is what the ps3 and 360 are now. Just with more proprietary control and less freedom. Meaning the dreamcast was ahead of it's time but could've benefited from more development.

The pspgo isn't going to set any trends. They were simply trying to compete with the ipod touch. Which was utterly pointless.

nice deal. if i had the money and the psp carried pokemon games i would totally get one. but they dont so ill stick with my gameboy advance (screw the ds. i hate the flip up 2 screen thing. until nintendo gets back to single screen handhelds i wont buy one)

Aby_Z:

Wrathful:

It doesn't say those games aren't on there, just that it includes what is listed. Chances are you may be able to get Disgaea 1, 2, and Prinny CIRBTH with this deal...

Well it says there are ten free games, and nine games are listed. So that only leaves room for one more game. Might be Disgaea.

I wouldn't get this bundle. LittleBigPlanet is the only game that interests me, and I don't really have the disposable income for a new console anyway.

I think I'd still rather buy a 3000, get the games off Ebay and have £50 in my pocket thanks.

No two ways about it, the Go is still a crap product when the 3000 does what this one does and a bit more for a lot less money.

None of those games really interest me. Not good enough Sony, you'll have to do better.

LBT is the only thing im intrested in out of that list.

vansau:
in fact, the handheld device is actually advanced enough that it's being labeled by some as the Dreamcast of the current console generation.

It can't be the Dreamcast if it doesn't have fresh and fun games that no one else has until it's genius goes unrecognized by the masses and eventually has to sell them off as scrap.

I.E.,
Power Stone
Sonic Adventures
ShenMue
Crazy Taxi
Skies of Arcadia
Jet Grind Radio
Grandia
and Soul Calibur

And I bet I'm missing some.

Point is, PSPGo can't be the dreamcast if the regular psp has all those games too. Unless the PSP itself is the Dreamcast? I might bite that one. Unless of course Sony starts making Go-Only games to make it more likable, in which case I will mail them the severed head of a woodland animal.

edit: The point of that article being, "PSPgo is so ahead of the curve! It offers online content when no one else does!" Just like the dreamcast did. Except of course there's nothing you can download for the GO that you can't get on a regular PSP, hence why the GO is bloody useless, except as a smaller PSP.

Unless of course there IS exclusive stuff for the GO (this 10 free games thing is pretty sweet, but unless they let me copy over all the UMD games I own onto it, I still don't care), and I'm a total moron. 50/50

Might actually look into this now after I seevehat games are available

canadamus_prime:
None of those games really interest me. Not good enough Sony, you'll have to do better.

thats what I call greed more or less, they give you some games that are ones that got pretty goods ratings overall and you wish for them to do better? and did the matter of fact their free? thats greed right their folks.

joshthor:
nice deal. if i had the money and the psp carried pokemon games i would totally get one. but they dont so ill stick with my gameboy advance (screw the ds. i hate the flip up 2 screen thing. until nintendo gets back to single screen handhelds i wont buy one)

There are emulators for that. I play Super Mario and Pokemon Red in my psp :P It's homebrewed though..

Korten12:

canadamus_prime:

thats what I call greed more or less, they give you some games that are ones that got pretty goods ratings overall and you wish for them to do better? and did the matter of fact their free? thats greed right their folks.

I don't think it's greedy to tell Sony that they'll have to do better if they want to convince me to buy a less useful version of a system I already have.

Sounds to me that Sony are getting a little desperate to get a bite of Nintendo's handheld market. Can't say I blame them but I'll still be sticking to my trusty 1st generation DS.

AWAR:

joshthor:

There are emulators for that. I play Super Mario and Pokemon Red in my psp :P It's homebrewed though..

psh. can you trade pokemon with other freinds doing that? i dont think so. ive gotten 4 of my friends to start playing pokemon with me. im awesome.

canadamus_prime:

Korten12:

canadamus_prime:

I don't think it's greedy to tell Sony that they'll have to do better if they want to convince me to buy a less useful version of a system I already have.

I have to agree with the above, I think the only two games on the list that interest me were LBP ala PSP and AC:Bloodlines. As it is I haven't used my current PSP since God of War:Chains of Olympus came out, there's just no titles for it I've found interesting enough to actually invest in. The same could be said for my DS as well(to hell with your DS lights and DSi's I roll with my thick tank version from launch date) I've got a few games for it, but it largely goes unused save for when I have to travel for long periods of time. Even then I only bring two games along one of which is a GBA game.

My use of the DS, however, is based upon my view of most hand-helds; which is that they're not fit for full length titles. I feel the PSP is more suited for the full length titles, it's just not used for that as well as it could be...not yet any way *glance at Birth By Sleep release date*

Woodsey:
Sounds like they're clutching at straws a little.

A little? Lol, biggest fail of a system ever.

They should have let you somehow play the games you already bought for UMD, even if it meant mailing them to the company so they can confirm you have it.

Now, that sounds quite good. I actually might start giving a damn about PSP now. The original PSP is too big and too expensive and the games are too shit, while PSP Go is... Well most of the same. But 10 games... Mhm...

Now if MS offered 10 games with each X360, that would be nice.

Still not a sucker for it . I'd just buy a used ps3 and 360 for that cash. Or get an EVO phone. And a ds or any combo like that.

I might bite, I hate to fall for gimmicks but 10 free games sounds fair (probably at least one of them isn't too bad).

Definitely a sign that Sony is getting rather desperate.

I might get it just for the free games, but I already have the PSP I won from McDonald's.

That's... actually a really good idea. I mean, those are quality games right there. Of course, it just screams to me as an act of desperation from Sony to try and sell as many as they can because they know it was a bad idea. Either way, that's pretty good and might just convince me to get it...

I have been meaning to get a PSP for some time now but I've been lazy and a cheap-ass for most of the part. I doubt that this will move me because, again, I'm lazy and a cheap-ass, but this is a huge incentive for me when I can/will buy one if I get it in time.

canadamus_prime:

Better? They're giving away 10 games, in total worth $500 I believe (handheld games are $50, right?), not including the actual console of course, and you want them to do even better than that? What, you want 20 free games? Keep in mind that this isn't even the whole list.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, dude. Whether or not there are games you're interested in on the list, it's still a helluvah bargain. Saying "Not impressed, do better!" just makes you seem like a pompous brat.

Awwww, I was hoping the GoW PSP title would be included in that....oh well.

Wow, if they put patapon in there, its pretty much a definate buy from me

The problem with this offer is that most of these games are ones that, well, I can already get on my PS3. Assuming that I don't already have them to begin with. I'm still not kosher with their "download-only" business model, either. One of the primary games that has me interested in a PSP is Prinny: CIRBTH, and I don't even know if that's up for download. Actually, most of the games I seem to take interest in for the system are on the obscure side.

More importantly, I kind of have more important things to spend my money on. Making car payments is killing my disposable income, for example. X_X

EDIT: I'm also holding out for a PSP that has two analog sticks. Four shoulder buttons might be pushing it, but if they manage to make it work, hey, bonus.

BrotherhoodOfSteel:
Hey guys! Presenting our new tactic to retrieve some cash from this flop! It's called Despertaion!

I don't think it was a joke, you've hit the nail right on the head with this one.

Is it ironic that only a few days ago Sony said that gamers don't want digital distribution, they want games on discs? Am I the only one who noticed this interjection?

i might now go and buy a psp go but i wish patapon 2 was on the list. that game is very addicting for me

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here