Natal Expected to Stab Gamers in the Wallet at $149

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Natal Expected to Stab Gamers in the Wallet at $149

The Xbox 360's Project Natal might not be as cheap as many had hoped.

Despite analyst reports that Microsoft's upcoming Project Natal would be given an affordable price at around $50, consumers may be facing a cost three times as much. A "trusted source" at Edge Online has put the motion camera control system at an expected price of $149.

The source also told Edge that Natal will be bundled with an Xbox 360 Arcade unit for $299. Sony's Move, the PlayStation 3 motion controller considered to be Project Natal's competition, is expected in multiple bundles, but with a sub-$100 price.

Natal's name may also be in for a change, with the source saying it "definitely" won't be called Natal. As expected, Natal/MicroEye/GatesVision will be "heavily targeted towards casual players and families." It's possible that Microsoft's strategy here is to align Natal itself alongside the Wii, as if buying a Natal camera would in effect add a Wii to your 360, making it somewhat "cheap" in the eyes of the casual consumer.

While $50 would have been an easy buy for me personally, if Edge's source turns out to be correct I don't see myself purchasing Natal anytime soon. Microsoft will have to demonstrate that Natal can be used for more than a Pong/Dodgeball game and rafting/molesting game if it wants consumers to shell out that kind of dough. Then again, I'm far from casual, so I'm not Microsoft's target market. Still, maybe Microsoft will make a believer out of me and the rest of the more-than-casual community when it fully reveals Natal at E3, but for now this somewhat expensive price is confounding, if true.

Source: Edge Online

How can it stab my wallet if I don't buy it? Muahah.

Ouch. Well, fuck them anyway, I like pads more.

All of a sudden those "The 360 is more expensive if you buy all the crap for it." Arguements just got some fuel. Oh joy... Glad I left GameSpot and 4Chan.

Calumon: Unless there'a fanboy or girl here! :S

How many people here will still refer to it as Natal, even though that won't be it's final name? I know I probably will.

Jeez, i would only buy it for that price if it sang happy birthday to me while shooting chocolate gold coins.

And another reason I'm ditching my Wii and screwing Natal up the arse!

Redingold:
How many people here will still refer to it as Natal, even though that won't be it's final name? I know I probably will.

Natal rolls off the tongue, more so than 'Moneystealer 9000'.

Hmmmmm...

I was always doubtful that Natal could have sold at $50... out of the 3 motion control systems, it seems to be the most advanced (Move may come in at a close 2nd, but it was developing on pre-existing tech, and therefore Natal would probably have taken more costs from an R&D perspective), which generally means a higher price tag, as seen in each console generations.

I do believe that such a price point could significantly hurt the system, especially considering the current economic climate - if they're targeting the casual audience, then they will likely fail with a high price point, as they will be looking for the cheapest option, i.e., they'll still go for the Wii rather than the flashy advanced devices.

Definitely not getting this one right away. Maybe later if they come out with some fun games for it.

Redingold:

Probably about as many people that still call their Wii "Revolution".

For the record, I still think "Wii" is an annoying name.

Meh a Wii Remote/Motion Plus with a Nunchuck goes for like 80-90$ in stores >.> 3 controllers costs more than 1console+controller... That's messed up.

I really hope its not required for Fable 3.

The games coming out for the PC so I don't think it is, still though, here's hoping.

Redingold:

...until you hear the actual name and discover its so catchy and simple you just can't help but call it that instead of freakin Natal =3.

motion control just won't work for long, it was a nice experiment but sometimes you want to control someone else in a game, not just be yourself.
as Moviebob said "Sony calls the wiimote a lollipop, then 4 years later designs a F**king lollipop for it's own motion controller"
I think Microsoft should pay you for owning Natal since you going to break $150 worth of stuff when you use it anyway.

It won't harm my wallet considering I have more interest in buying a DVD Re-winder than this.

We need to have a talk with that analyst from the last Natal news. But, I still think that a rafting/molesting game is all the interactivity we need. Well... not true. There's still...
Halo Reach: use Natal to perform realistic teabagging motions!

$150 means it will be something like £200 over here, what with Microsoft's strange currency exchange rates. I wasn't going to buy one before, now I have yet another reason not to. I guess I won't be playing Totemball 2 any time soon then.

Too expensive. This piece of tech is arm flailing in turbo mode. Even if this was only $50 I would still rather get a regular game. I don't own a Wii because I am lazy so I certainly will not be getting my wallet out for this nonsense.

I reckon spending money on a quieter fan, better cooling, rechargeable batteries as standard and built in wifi would have been a better investment. If MS told me that's what they are releasing I would buy this brand new version of the 360.

Fuck Microsoft I'm buying a PS3. Xbox's really are more expensive! This better not be "required" for ANYTHING!

Natal = Fable 3. I am sold.

Apparentely it will be bundled with a console.. a new 360 slim. Heard about that rumour at a conference, don't know how true that is - $150 though, that price can eat a bag of dicks.

Legion:
It won't harm my wallet considering I have more interest in buying a DVD Re-winder than this.

dude those are expensive.....

I got tired of the motion control stuff with the Wii.

And there goes my last interest on this thing.

Everyone knows how this economic game works: You want, they have, they are obligated to price it where you will buy it AND where they make the most money. If you think this is too much, prove them wrong and don't buy it, but don't fool yourself into thinking a single person standing in the way of a mob has any chance.

As for me... I'm still undecided and need a good showing at E3 to convince me. As it is right now, the price is right at $100. Give me the right games to convince me, and $150 could be a reality.

people do know they don't have to buy the Natal bundle? everyone's going on about as if you have no choice to purchase it =S and this article might not even be true, as stated...

ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY NINE US DOLLARS

"Good bye customers! Don't trip on your way out!"

There going to lose a lot of money on this, and i sware to God, this better not become a needed part of the 360...

Brad Shepard:
There going to lose a lot of money on this, and i sware to God, this better not become a needed part of the 360...

I don't think it will become a needed part. Considering Bungie has said it won't use motion control for Halo: Reach. I think thats a good sign.

$50 + PC compatibility was making me interested. $150? not so much - I'd rather get a graphics card.

As expected, Natal/MicroEye/GatesVision will be "heavily targeted towards casual players and families."

Goodbye quality games, helloooo shovelware. Since I still have a standing boycott against the Wii (no I'm not going to explain my reasons for it anymore) I'll make damn sure I never buy one of these after reading that.

$150US? great that means it will be at least $250 maybe $300AU by the time it comes out here, despite the fact it should be at most $180AU based on conversion, so screw that.

Redingold:

Unless they manage to find a worse name.
Does anyone call the Wii the "Revolution" any more?

That is a crazy price: what the consoles were costing this time last gen. It kind of defeats the purpose of replacing the wii. For $50 more, you can actually get a wii.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.