Fan Renders Ico & Shadow of the Colossus In HD

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fan Renders Ico & Shadow of the Colossus In HD

If the rumors that Sony may be re-releasing a remastered HD bundle of PS2 classics Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are true, it could look something like this.

Last week, we heard rumors that Sony could be planning an HD-remastered re-release of Team Ico's last-generation masterpieces for 2011 in an attempt to build hype for the studio's upcoming The Last Guardian.

While the story remains a rumor (even if it's one that we really, really, really want to be true), the tech gurus at Eurogamer's Digital Foundry decided to work some high-tech wizardry to approximate what the games could look like in glorious high resolution. Digital Foundry had previously done something similar with God of War in advance of the HD re-release, and came away with results that looked pretty darn close to the actual thing.

While the emulation they use still has "some way to go," and a lot of the techie-talk is over my head, all you have to know is that the results make the already gorgeous Ico - and the stunning Shadow of the Colossus - look even gorgeous-er. Also, Colossus looks a lot better when running on hardware that can actually support a consistent 30 FPS instead of the 15-20 FPS it managed on the PS2.

Foundry's results also reveal that even the decade-old art in Ico might not need to be replaced with something that doesn't look like crap in HD - the core art "is more than up to the task at hand."

Make this happen, Sony. Pretty please?

(Digital Foundry)

I does look pretty nice but it being sharper maybe takes away some of the vaguely dreamlike feeling of both games

I have still not played Shadow of the Colossus, but it looks amazing, and I would love to play an HD version.

Strangely, while a curiosity... I'm not hugely excited by this one.

Oh I might well buy the remake if it does get made and released, but.. somehow I'm concerned that the HD upgrade will impair the vague, ghostly, dreamy quality these games had. But yeah, not massively excited for that reason, though I'll buy them in the hope I get proved wrong should it happen.

EDIT: Hey, someone else said the same thing first XD

I wish these games could come out on the 360 or the Wii. I don't want to buy a Playstation 2 or 3 just for these two games. Although, it is damned tempting to find a dirt cheap PS2 in order to play Colossus at least.

Would be cool for you PS3 owners if these games came out in HD at least. Hope it happens.

Fensfield:
Strangely, while a curiosity... I'm not hugely excited by this one.

Oh I might well buy the remake if it does get made and released, but.. somehow I'm concerned that the HD upgrade will impair the vague, ghostly, dreamy quality these games had. But yeah, not massively excited for that reason, though I'll buy them in the hope I get proved wrong should it happen.

EDIT: Hey, someone else said the same thing first XD

cabalistics:
I does look pretty nice but it being sharper maybe takes away some of the vaguely dreamlike feeling of both games

Hahah, I was about to post the same thing. This is only a 'fan' render and I guess if they go through with it then they'd take more care to ensure the dream like graphics.

If not, I think I'd rather play the originals.

I really, really want to play those games, but alas, I am without a PS2. If they were to be released on either the Xbox 360, or the PC, I would sure be a happy chappy.

I like it.

ICO had some really extreme effects on the intro sequence so the original looked better towards the end than the HD version.

Yorda looks so much better with sharper lines and higher contrast black and white colours.

They could do with some higher resolution textures if they did a remake but the original textures are not bad.

I absolutely want this to happen!
I loved SotC b ut Ico is still on my list. I'd adore them in HD!!

God, I seriously want to punch myself for having never played these games before! Both versions look stunning.

It isn't just PS2 games; PS1 titles can look really remarkable with dedicated fans:

Now THIS is awesome.

Both awesome games, and this is.....this is just cool

I like :D

I got excited when I read this, then I remembered that I have everything but a PS3.

Thank god. I was about to trade the devil my left nut. He's smaller, sure, but I would've missed him just the same.

Oh god I want Shadow of the Colossus for the PS3.

Although I'd probably just spend the time running around on the platform for the third colossus admiring the view.

Man I love that fight.

WAnt this so bad! Cant wait for it!

Wind Waker in HD also looks amazing.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Image-Gallery.php?level=album&id=118

How many HD console games look half as good as that?

Erana:
It isn't just PS2 games; PS1 titles can look really remarkable with dedicated fans

Yes they can =P

(Yes this is real and coming out)

I would buy Ico, Shadow of the Colosseus, and The Last Guardian all at once and run around GameStop laughing like a madman.

Seriously, I need these games, BAD.

I've actually never played ICO, but i loved Shadow, just an amazing game.

i see to have the reverse problem of everyone else and is that i haven't played ICO but ever since i beat Shadows and learned it was the sequel i have been trying to hunt down a copy. every time though it slip from my grasp. They should do this ill bet, nay guarantee people would buy it quicker than any huge name corporation game coming out... at least i would

Oh sweet merciful God, PLEASE release a remake of ICO and Shadow on PS3 ala God of War Collection.

FOR GODS SAKE, don't they realize how much money they could make with that?

If this happens I'll buy a PS3.

Seriously, I've had a lot convincing me, but money has always pushed back my decision. This would make me buy a PS3. I'd buy the bundle, and every other game on my drool list.

Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus are incredible games, I think remastered versions would be amazing!!

This is just a slap into the face of 360 owners. That game totally rocked my balls on the PS2, Shadow of Colossus I mean.

Why Sony, WHY?!

Shadow of the Colossus, one of the masterpieces of the PS2 and a game I still frequently play on my first generation PS3, redone in HD?
*Eyes begin to water*

Soviet Heavy:
I have still not played Shadow of the Colossus, but it looks amazing, and I would love to play an HD version.

It's so good. For a game with almost nothing (apparently) you never feel like it is empty. It's really hard to describe it.

Blemontea:
i see to have the reverse problem of everyone else and is that i haven't played ICO but ever since i beat Shadows and learned it was the sequel i have been trying to hunt down a copy. every time though it slip from my grasp. They should do this ill bet, nay guarantee people would buy it quicker than any huge name corporation game coming out... at least i would

Well, technically speaking, Shadow of the Collossus was a prequel - set way, waay before ICO and strongly related, explaining a few things and all.. and while awesome, yeah, I loved ICO rather more. Something about its story and characters..

Well anyway, good luck in the hunt, it's well worth it believe me!

Ps one games look ALOT better on Pc, too.
No wonder a ps2 game looks that good on pc too :D

That looks really good, but hopefully the real remake will look even better. I seriously don't care if it's $100 when it comes out... I want this so bad.

lol, all they did was get rid of the blurry filter used to cover up the horrid graphics

why are you guys so obsessed with HD? its mindblowing when i hear that people even want old NES and super NES games in HD...like it matters, or ads ANYTHING AT ALL to the experience

all you are getting is an clearer picture of how ugly something looks

Soviet Heavy:

What are you doing online then?! go out, pick up a copy for 20 bucks, and enjoy one of the best games ever!

OT: This would be awesome, every singel one of the Colossi looked amazing, and i can only dream of what they would look like in HD.

Felt like posting in this thread again just to say I'm completely obsessed with these games. Nothing else has come even close to the experience I had with these titles, and the worst part (I know everyone else here can identify with this) is that I can't properly describe said experience to anyone else. It's just something you feel - or you don't.

And we simultaneously found out what happens to their comparison shots as well, I guess. Not bad, eh..

I call bullshit on Digital Foundry making ICO and SotC running in HD, they did squat except load up PCSX2 and the game DVD. The team over at PCSX2.net is responsible for the PC emulation that does the upped resolution videos and images you see there. Even FFX, Metal Gear Solid2/3, and Kingdom Hearts look much better in Higher resolutions.

Read both the Eurogamer articles John linked, all DF did was use PCSX2.

A good 3.0Ghz Dual or Quad Core + a 9800GT/ATI 4770 or better and you can run PCSX2 at full speeds.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.