Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

Mass Effect isn't exactly the most upbeat videogame series ever but BioWare's Casey Hudson says that as the third part of the trilogy, Mass Effect 3 will have "a lot more humor" than its predecessor.

Let's face it: Mass Effect is no Armed and Dangerous. The game can be pretty dark at times, particular the second chapter, which begins on a hugely down note and makes it very easy for players to finish in an even worse place. But that's the nature of trilogies, according to Mass Effect Producer Casey Hudson, and like the final part of all good trilogies, Mass Effect 3 is going to be a little lighter than the previous game.

"We're not talking too much about Mass Effect 3 right now, but the second story in a trilogy is where you traditionally end up in a fairly dark place. The third story is where you try and bring some fun and lightness back into it," he said in an interview with OXM.

"One thing we tried to do with Mass Effect 2 was as well as bringing in the more mature stuff, we also tried to bring in a lot more humor so that we can go to these places without making it an overbearing experience," he continued. "I think we have a lot more fun this time through characters like Joker and EDI. Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor."

But when treated properly, he noted, the "darkness" of a game like Mass Effect 2 can be fun in itself. "You can go too far with the darkness and troubles in your subject matter. But there is a certain amount of fun that comes from the realism of a story, if it resembles a mature movie or TV show and resembles real adults interacting," he said. "That's part of what we're always trying to pursue - how do we bring on the realism and the humanity of the experience?"

Mass Effect 3 is expected to be released sometime in 2011.

As long as I can still take the game and its story serious that's okay.

I hope they at least have a bit of darkness. Part of my favorite sections in ME 2 was at the end where I was incredibly stressed out over if I would actually make it or not.

Good riddance with Miranda though

Well "The Empire Strikes Back" is the darkest of the Star Wars trilogy. That's just how things roll.

I dunno, I really liked Mass Effect 2's dark storyline. I'm just more attracted to dark or black media. My two favourite movies, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and A Clockwork Orange are fucking depressing.
Still, if they can keep the intensity, then I'm all for a bit of humour here and there.

Well, they still said they're adding "More darkness and humour" so, It's going to be similair to ME2. Speaking of, need to finish.

Will they make the transition from dark to light with the DLC also? Even if they don't, I hope they can improve the humour because what was supposed to be funny was more cringing, but the drama was pulled off well.

Now they just need that happy medium...

Joker absolutely cracked me up. It was really nice to have moments like those. Some light to contrast with the dark. BioWare really does get it when it comes to story.

Well it's always darkest before dawn as they say, so the second one being darker than the third makes sense. I'm sure it'll still be a serious story.

I see what you did there space-engineers, making the suits tight in the rear as well as the front.

They like that picture a lot huh?

Mass effect 1 always seem a little balance with the Light and dark contrast...ME2 lean on the evil side a little bit, I wonder what they do with 3

Also, I might as well say it...

long as they dont keep saying its a suicide mission Ill be ok, that got old fast and its not like it was any more then the first games was, I mean sure you could die but still it wasnt really darker then the first game, they just kept saying it was

So, in other words, it's Ewok time.

As long as they don't stretch it too far.

And they must keep the epic plot reveals. See Virgil AI and The Collector General.

i thought much of the game was pretty funny
mording singing, the "refuse orders" bit, garrus's whole "reach vs flexibility" thing was awesome

As long as ME3's plot don't suck as much as ME2's did. I'm cool.

Well, it has to be lighter if they're planning for Shepard to win that war after all. Even Mass Effect 2 was pretty funny at times (read: all the times when it wasn't concerned with drama - not a lot, but still), so if they're bringing more of that... i'm all for it.

Andy Chalk:
Let's face it: Mass Effect is no Armed and Dangerous.

And that's perfectly fine, but... what if there was a space opera RPG with the same humor level as AaD? That would rock.

Quesa:
So, in other words, it's Ewok time.

I, personally, hope for the appearance of Lombaxes, or some other sort of vaguely catlike repairmen.

I hope Bioware keeps it up, as of late, Mass Effect had been my favorite game, ME2 only got better from the first, in most things... except when farming for materials, i hope they get rid of that. ME3 will only get better, but i wonder how they are gonna get rid of the SR2 Normandy and get the SR3 movin along?

Lizard_viking:

NO! BAD! BAD LIZARD BAD! ME2 PLOT WAS GOOD... besides a little far fetchy with the Reaper thing...

They're not kidding. Every character had something really grim as part of their story. Mordin and the genophage, Thane, who is going to die, Tali and the Fleet, Samara and her daughter, Garrus and Sidonis, and Jack. Everything about Jack. I'm glad ME3 will be a bit more upbeat.

Armed and Dangerous, God what a gut buster......

Andy Chalk:

Nice choice of picture, Andy.

Lizard_viking:

I thought the plot was excellent; of course, I consider all of the character's individual stories to be part of the main plot.

They are adding multiplayer and taking away the dark atmosphere. I have serious doubts about the third part of this series.

SteelStallion:

Andy Chalk:

I was about to edit to say the same thing. :P

Miranda and her choice of clothes.
"Does Cerberus really let you whore around in that outfit?"
"Operative Lawson's uniform really makes me stand to attention."

Echo136:
They are adding multiplayer and taking away the dark atmosphere. I have serious doubts about the third part of this series.

The first part is unconfirmed and the second is very normal for many trilogies. Hell, even Lord of the Rings had some good humor in Return of the King.

Chase Yojimbo:
I hope Bioware keeps it up, as of late, Mass Effect had been my favorite game, ME2 only got better from the first, in most things... except when farming for materials, i hope they get rid of that. ME3 will only get better, but i wonder how they are gonna get rid of the SR2 Normandy and get the SR3 movin along?

Lizard_viking:

NO! BAD! BAD LIZARD BAD! ME2 PLOT WAS GOOD... besides a little far fetchy with the Reaper thing...

ME2 did have some strong points.

The plot was not one them.

Humour's good. I liked what humour there was in ME2, but I hope they don't compromise the game because of it. They need to keep the darker atmosphere, insead of letting it become shiny happy Star Trek.

A little confused. The title says bringing back the "Fun and Lightness." Yet later in the interview they said: "Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor."

Umm...shouldn't the title be "Fun and Dark" then? Make up your minds!

Either way, as long as they don't dumb the game down any further.

Oh and bring back the travel system of the old game. Or was I only one who was annoyed by the little ship parts, and then having to buy fuel and probes? Oh yeah...probes, big improvement [/sarcasm]. Those bits made me long for the days of pressing a button to scan and getting what I needed for my achievement.

Dr. wonderful:

Also, I might as well say it...

DAMN I got ninja'd!

While I do like a little light and happiness, I just hope it doesn't get too out of hand.

I thought the humor in Mass Effect 2, when there, was excellent. Joker and EDI was a big one, but all the slightly more subtle jokes were what got me. Blasto, anyone?

"They thought the first Hanar Spectre would play by the rules."

"This one has forgotten whether it's heatsink is over capacity. It wonders if the criminal scum considers itself fortunate."

"They were wrong"

I think I actually enjoyed the darker aspects of 2, like many of the other comments here. It helped make the storyline more involved, and the constant reminder that anyone could (and in my hilariously inept first try often did) die added a lot of tension to the entire game. While I could see some humor being nice I really hope they don't go overboard.

........*headdesk* make a spin off or new series if you want to to do light and fun.....

lol nice miranda ass shot. btw, is it just me or is it very ill preportioned to the rest of her body? i personally think they made it way to big.

on topic: im excited for mass effect 3, but they better not make it too light, im sure ill love it either way though.

The funny thing from my perspective is, ME2 didn't really seem all that dark. I built my crew, got back one of my two primaries from the first game (and a virtual (almost literal) clone of the second), did some running around, saved the galaxy and everybody went home happy. I really liked the game, although no more than the original, but I never caught the "descent into darkness" vibe.

That said, moments of humour are vital, even in dark stories. Some of Joker's commentary in particular were very effective, because they were so real and appropriate to the situation. As Hudson said, it humanizes things, and that's the real strength of Mass Effect.

SteelStallion:

Thanks, I like it too. Capped it myself, you know. ;)

(she's a skeezy ho)

Virgilthepagan:
I think I actually enjoyed the darker aspects of 2, like many of the other comments here. It helped make the storyline more involved, and the constant reminder that anyone could (and in my hilariously inept first try often did) die added a lot of tension to the entire game. While I could see some humor being nice I really hope they don't go overboard.

Seconded. I don't get it--how exactly do you make a story about millions of enormous sentient death machines attempting to commit galactic omnicide "light"? If anything, it should be darker than the second game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here